The discovery thread!
Aug 12, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #84,872 of 106,525
So questions for you guys… what do you have coming in? Me I have a kinera loki on loaner tour (3k+ iem), a sample of the Celestee Phoenix call, on day 60 of waiting for the 7th acoustic Supernova, the American Spirit hawk iem (ordered from Penon), a Monrack mk3, and a new overears the XTC open. So much…. I hope you are all well.

Sheesh, you have all the cool stuffs. Waiting for your impressions of AmericanSpirit’s birds.

For me, the phoenixcall has landed, and I have a Hidizs something (not the planar, unfortunately) coming. Still has quite a backlog to review.

Any idea about the retail price of Phoenixcall? I think even kilobuck put less effort into the packaging than Kinera.

Aug 12, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #84,873 of 106,525
So questions for you guys… what do you have coming in? Me I have a kinera loki on loaner tour (3k+ iem), a sample of the Celestee Phoenix call, on day 60 of waiting for the 7th acoustic Supernova, the American Spirit hawk iem (ordered from Penon), a Monrack mk3, and a new overears the XTC open. So much…. I hope you are all well.
Denon PerL Pro for me and then perhaps the A&K UW100 mkII

Denon PerL Pro has superceded wired iems in sound presentation. Nothing comes close to achieving what they did with those little discs.

Confident to say they have reshaped the way sound can be played back through in ear buds.

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #84,874 of 106,525
Looks really cool.

My only concern is driveability. The 7hz Tineless and Tri i3 Pro couldn't get loud enough through a cell phone.

These have a section about that 30ohm and sensitivity of 104 db.

Does anyone know how to translate that to answer the question "will my cellphone drive this"

On this link, there seems to be no units for the sensitivity.

Some manufacturers use dB/mW, some use dB/mV, which translates to different power requirements totally.

If it is truly a 104 dB/mW with 30 ohm impedance, then I think a weaker source should still be able to drive it. Having said that, some equipment scale with amplification, and driving to adequate volume is not the same as driving well (bass tightness, soundstage, dynamics etc may be improved with more power in some cases).

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #84,875 of 106,525
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #84,876 of 106,525
Sheesh, you have all the cool stuffs. Waiting for your impressions of AmericanSpirit’s birds.

For me, the phoenixcall has landed, and I have a Hidizs something (not the planar, unfortunately) coming. Still has quite a backlog to review.

Any idea about the retail price of Phoenixcall? I think even kilobuck put less effort into the packaging than Kinera.
Nice, from the promo stuff that I have it is this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDGLZKKK/kinera+celest+phoenixcall/?th=1 So $129 US. I'm excited about the AS bird iem, so far reviews have been super positive on it.

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #84,877 of 106,525
New Aful:

I question sacrificing some of the low end, for the betterment of vocals and soundstage. My two knocks on the P8 are the lack of width and mid-bass. Admittedly I was A/Bing the P8 and the Dunu Falcon Ultra, with the Ultra being an outright bully, when it comes to comparing the mid-bass and how it compliments the vocals.
1691888938483.png

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #84,878 of 106,525
Except from an upcoming review:

The Kiwi ears Quintet and ISN CS02 Audiophile Cable:
This was a fun union and one of the very best combos with the CS02. Yep, 1 PZT driver, 1 Planar (and we are still in the treble region) LOL………2 BAs and 1 DD make this IEM up. Such an animal showcases wonderful treble itemizations. Yet once in a while it borders on too much. Many different cables could end-up too bright. Yet the CS02 does two exquisite things to add to our listening experience. Yep, Spreading out the treble into the stage, but adding the CS02 smoothness on-top too. Then going and adding bass enhancement to round this whole display off. Really it’s the bomb, and I wholeheartedly recommend this combo to anyone! Seriously! There is a blend of the two personalities, the personality of the CS02 and the personality of the Quintet.

DSC_0250.jpegsa.jpeg

https://penonaudio.com/ISN-Audio-CSO2.html

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #84,879 of 106,525
On this link, there seems to be no units for the sensitivity.

Some manufacturers use dB/mW, some use dB/mV, which translates to different power requirements totally.

If it is truly a 104 dB/mW with 30 ohm impedance, then I think a weaker source should still be able to drive it. Having said that, some equipment scale with amplification, and driving to adequate volume is not the same as driving well (bass tightness, soundstage, dynamics etc may be improved with more power in some cases).

Further down the page you see some info on it. Posted below. And even further it mentions the OHM

Screenshot_2023-08-13-11-37-51-84_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

I know what you mean though about dynamic changes on better sources. Again with the Timeless but it sounded pretty bad via a phone (as well as volume) but much better with a regular computer aux

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #84,880 of 106,525
I question sacrificing some of the low end, for the betterment of vocals and
Flagships shouldn't have to sacrifice anything for anything. IMHO a flagship model has figured out how to deliver the best of every frequency

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #84,881 of 106,525
Nice, from the promo stuff that I have it is this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDGLZKKK/kinera+celest+phoenixcall/?th=1 So $129 US. I'm excited about the AS bird iem, so far reviews have been super positive on it.

$129? So cheap. I thought it would be $250 at least.

Flagships shouldn't have to sacrifice anything for anything. IMHO a flagship model has figured out how to deliver the best of every frequency

This!

Otherwise, I have enough of the “almost there but not completely there” performance of AFUL.

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #84,882 of 106,525
Denon PerL Pro for me and then perhaps the A&K UW100 mkII

Denon PerL Pro has superceded wired iems in sound presentation. Nothing comes close to achieving what they did with those little discs.

Confident to say they have reshaped the way sound can be played back through in ear buds.
Curious to know how the customized sound is any different from the Goldensound profiles created for Oneplus buds pro 2/Oppo enco x2?

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #84,883 of 106,525
Curious to know how the customized sound is any different from the Goldensound profiles created for Oneplus buds pro 2/Oppo enco x2?
They really push the customised sound side of things but to me that's not what makes them great, I mean you can give me a bunch of different profiles, tell me they're created via a special technology sending sending sonar into my brain and I won't be any wiser.

It's the way the music is presented. Incredibly 3 dimensional, heavy with subbass for days, speaker like and unique in everyway. The only driver config that comes (in uniqueness) is electrostatic drivers. Not similar in any way but a new way of hearing music.

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #84,884 of 106,525
Further down the page you see some info on it. Posted below. And even further it mentions the OHM

I know what you mean though about dynamic changes on better sources. Again with the Timeless but it sounded pretty bad via a phone (as well as volume) but much better with a regular computer aux

Bro, the impedance (ohm) isn't as important as the sensitivity sometimes when it comes to how hard it is to drive a transducer.

As per the previous post, sensitivity can be calculated using dB/mW or dB/V, it makes a difference whether this IEM is 104 dB/mW or 104 dB/V, for which no units are stated in their marketing materials.

I guess we will need some first adopters to get it for actual field tests to report back on the ease of drivability.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #84,885 of 106,525

Users who are viewing this thread

Back