🤣🤣

name aside, tuning looks solid, the thieaudio tuner’s monitor neutral
IMG_9042.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #83,463 of 100,537
Love hype?

🤣🤣

As well as the price and driver config for the Hype 2 (what is this name, Thie?) and MMKIII

THIEAUDIO Hype 2​

2DD + 2BA In-ear Earphones​

• THIEAUDIO's Fresh Lineup - HYPE Series
  • IMPACT² Subwoofer Technology
  • Latest Gen Sonion E25 & Sonion 2300 BA Drivers
  • Balanced Tonal Signature

Thie.png

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #83,464 of 100,537
As well as the price and driver config for both Hype 2 (what is this name, Thie?) and MMKIII

THIEAUDIO Hype 2​

2DD + 2BA In-ear Earphones​

• THIEAUDIO's Fresh Lineup - HYPE Series
  • IMPACT² Subwoofer Technology
  • Latest Gen Sonion E25 & Sonion 2300 BA Drivers
  • Balanced Tonal Signature

Thie.png

Love hype?

🤣🤣

IMG_9042.jpeg

LOL IS THIS IEM REALLY NAMED "HYPE"?

All aboard the hypetrain CHOO CHOO!!!

train.jpg

Hope it doesn't end up as a crashed hypetrain though:
wreck.jpg

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #83,466 of 100,537
LOL IS THIS IEM REALLY NAMED "HYPE"?

All aboard the hypetrain CHOO CHOO!!!

Hope it doesn't end up as a crashed hypetrain though:
Wow 2BA+2DD for $300USD

Since when did Thieaudio start offering like the big boys😭

Monarch OG was $729/ Clairvoyance $699 and initial batch was with various custom plates/shells options like those high-ends.

I thought it was a new era of TOTL coming down to the hands of rest of us, not millionaire people, but they soon jumped up to kilobuck with MKII.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #83,468 of 100,537
MOONDROP Starfield II

Li-Mg alloy dome composite diaphragm
$109.99 USD

Now we know where the unsold Stellaris shells went to! Hope the paint doesn't flake off too!

But jokes aside, Moondrop seems to be rehashing on past glories like the CHU 2, Solis 2 and now the Starfield 2. I wish them well, but $110 USD in this day and age is also a very tough market to break into.

https://www.facebook.com/MoondropLa...LYGpAFBRPaXpJ3n3KhwzZB45EgVjazqJtAsgdniPS9iFl
This provides a great chance to segue way...
Here's my response to biggest disappointment (so far) - Moondrop

Their dominance has seemingly declined over the past 12 months; Stellaris definitely didn't help, expected Blessing3 to make bigger splash too.

[Now watch Moondrop drop the Blessing3 Dusk2 next week, everyone loves it, & now I sound like a jack@$$☺️]

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #83,470 of 100,537
How do you actually get those to activate? Because when I put them in my cart, I just get the normal 5% coins off
You have to use the "Buy Now" button after going to the product's page from the coins page in order to redeem the extra discount :)

Also it turns out the bigger discounts appear even now, without a major AliExpress sale. I don't know what triggers those versus lower coin discounts from the coin page and how the exact numbers are determined. I'll try to catch a pattern...

Screenshots_2023-07-19-09-09-25.png
Screenshots_2023-07-19-09-13-22.png
Screenshots_2023-07-19-09-13-34.png

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #83,471 of 100,537
MOONDROP Starfield II

Li-Mg alloy dome composite diaphragm
$109.99 USD

Now we know where the unsold Stellaris shells went to! Hope the paint doesn't flake off too!

But jokes aside, Moondrop seems to be rehashing on past glories like the CHU 2, Solis 2 and now the Starfield 2. I wish them well, but $110 USD in this day and age is also a very tough market to break into.

https://www.facebook.com/MoondropLa...LYGpAFBRPaXpJ3n3KhwzZB45EgVjazqJtAsgdniPS9iFl
True but Li-Mag DD is interesting at $110 til it becomes the standard for DDs.

I think the first Li-Mag DD IEM was Ikko's OH5 Asgard which flopped presumably because the tuning sucks.

Maybe Li-Mag will be the spiritual successor to the Beryllium hype from 2020?

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #83,472 of 100,537

Penon were kind enough to recently send me a pair of their Globe IEMs to review, so after burning them in for a couple of days I'm now A/Bing them against their 10th Anniversary IEMs and some ISN EST50s at work.

As a $329 2BA/1DD hybrid the Globes have been quite a surprise. What immediately jumps out at me (other than the flash glistening faceplates) is their flawless coherency which may be the best of any Penon IEM I've tried.

Every Penon & ISN IEM I've tried has been extremely well tuned - to the extent I now take it for granted, but it leaves me wondering why other manufacturers have trouble following suit. As an audiophile of many years I've long accepted the midrange is where most of the music lies, making it fundamental to achieving a pleasing sonic signature. Penon obviously understand that by prioritising midrange performance and even their more v-shaped IEMs like the 10th Anniversary & EST50s especially still manage to produce a very full, rich midrange experience that's never thin, dry or hollow.

So it's no surprise the Globes' midrange has impressed me. However these IEMs are tuned with a definite L-shaped curve so there is plenty of DD-fueled bass here, thankfully not the sluggish kind - I mentioned coherency earlier which suggests this DD is having no trouble keeping up with those BAs.

As for the treble it is satisfyingly prominent, though edging close to my preferred limit of spiciness. I've not heard it tip over that edge, again suggesting a well-tuned IEM at least for my preferences. Where treble suffers in comparison with with the EST50s and particularly the 10th Anniversary is the lack of EST drivers yields a somewhat more simplified rendering that lacks the effortless detail, slightly enhanced resolution (and probably superior imaging as a result) those more expensive IEMs deliver.

Having said that the Globes do have a pleasingly wide stage which may even stretch a tad wider than the EST50s, though it does lack depth I would have to say. Listening to the Globes now with both classical & EDM tracks through my trusty N8ii, neither technical performance nor resolution is leaving me wanting. In fact it must be the coherency of the Globes or some trick of their tuning that I'm finding them extremely musical - something makes me want to just sit back and listen to the music, rather than focus on every tiny little detail of the sound - which if you write reviews can become a habit. These will be perfect for work when I don't want something that'll rip away all of my attention, yet aren't lacking in any particular area either.

So the Globes are proving to be a refreshing palate cleanser. The EST50s will thump harder and the 10th Anniversaries are more refined, but both are larger & more expensive. As someone who formerly refused to use anything larger than single-DDs, I have an acknowledged bias towards smaller IEMs and these are delightfully petit.

Haven't had time to cable roll much yet, but I did just throw the Penon Vocal cable on the Globes and am immediately noticing a VERY substantial improvement - bass immediately feels tighter, dynamics are improved and note weight seems better, in fact even stage depth has improved. Easy to tell at this early stage these will benefit from a cable upgrade quite a bit.

I'll review the Globes properly when time permits, but for now these are helping make a dreary winter Wednesday at work pass that little bit easier.
Nice report, I always said the Globes were underated!

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #83,473 of 100,537
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #83,474 of 100,537
The EW200 is a baby Tanchjim Oxygen in my book.

Simgot EW200 Versus Oxygen.jpg

Similar Harmanish tonality, though of course the Oxygen is in a different league for technicalities.

Stellaris in the dictionary refers to “pertaining to a star". This IEM is literally bright than the stars.

The graph is like a boogeyman for non-trebleheads. 11dB ear gain + super extended treble. Super bright and fatiguing treble aside, it does boast some good technical chops, but the timbre is extremely unnatural due to the tuning, the note weight is just off.
Moondrop Stellaris.jpg

A double whammy other than the weird tonality and timbre, is that the fit is a joke:
Moondrop_Stellaris_Photo_2.jpg

The shells are heavy with long nozzles, and the Stellaris tends to pivot out of the ears due to wrongly placed centre of gravity.

I would rate it maybe 2.5/5, the excellent resolution and technicalities are its only saving grace. Moondrop had FOMO with every cat, dog and rat jumping onto the planar hypetrain last year, so they launched a half-baked planar to join the fray.

Even if I subscribe to everything you wrote about STELLARIS, I have to admit (a bit with shame) that I like them enough, precisely because of their particular distorted sonic signature.

Sometimes I like to get drunk on sibilant highs combined with dry and powerful basses, and I listen to STELLARIS.

If I only want highs, I'll 'settle' for EA500. 😂

Madness of my mind.

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #83,475 of 100,537

Users who are viewing this thread

Back