The discovery thread!
Jul 18, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #83,386 of 100,323
What is peoples biggest disappointment this year in audio?

Can be IEM, earbud, accessories or just a brand. Would be fun to see, it's easy to have high hopes and then your expectations gets destroyed. Got a few here, most come from ergonomic standpoint 😅

Had two NiceHCK cables with such bad ergonomics they are practically unusable. And 2 faulty ones also from NiceHCK.

Oh, this is an easy one. I'm generally easy to please, and I haven't gotten very many sets this year. Winners have been the Etymotic ERX and the Truthear Zero Project RED.

The obvious loser is the KZ PR2 v2. I had to put in so much work testing it with sources, and especially, tip-rolling, to get it to sound good. And I didn't care for the fit. Others may have that part fine. It was only $30 out of pocket, but still, a disappointing result, no doubt.

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #83,387 of 100,323
Thanks! I think the tuning will fit me well, going by reviews. Never seen an iem with so mixed reviews before though. HBB says they're trash, while others prefer them over Quintet. 🤔
They're definitely a little bit on the thin side, but great if you like a lot of vocal nuance or just an analytical sound signature.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #83,388 of 100,323

Other than the cables from NiceHCK with horrible ergonomics, CoaxialSir Ultra and MeetAlice.

FIIO FW3 was a let down since they are shaped weird, longer nozzle could have helpe maybe. I could not open my jaw as they would fall out, even with after market sticky tips.

DSCF2933.jpg

FIIO FD11 while I personally liked the warm fun sound, also had problems with fit. There is a bump before the nozzle so you can not get it to enter that deep, for some reason more a problem for people with big ears than small. At least from my discussions with some. So lesson learned, if a FIIO product have the same design I can not use them.

DSCF2552.jpg

Kiwiears Quartet I had to high expectations for, fun tuning but lack refinement in its midrange and treble. Bass was fun and big, had great impact.

1689698512118.png

IMR BC 2023, mostly a comfort issue. Weird design similar to have the FD11 gives me problems, but also that hey give pain over time.
I had less bass than Etymotic ER2SE it was almost none existent, hundreds hours burn in and a accident that played at 100 volume on a DAP with high gain for 12hours fixed the low end. Was stuck most likely.
Sound is now good, then its just the comfort issue. Can work for smaller sessions of max 1hour before pain.

DSCF1941.jpg

ISN NEO 5 I love this new release of Penon, big fun sound. Its so perfect for me, but many brighter instruments sounds off and not that real. And its one of the smaller soundstages I have heard. I like this tuning direction of ISN, I just hope for NEO7 with maybe a better upper midrange and treble.

1689699083632.png

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #83,389 of 100,323
Other than the cables from NiceHCK with horrible ergonomics, CoaxialSir Ultra and MeetAlice.

FIIO FW3 was a let down since they are shaped weird, longer nozzle could have helpe maybe. I could not open my jaw as they would fall out, even with after market sticky tips.

DSCF2933.jpg

FIIO FD11 while I personally liked the warm fun sound, also had problems with fit. There is a bump before the nozzle so you can not get it to enter that deep, for some reason more a problem for people with big ears than small. At least from my discussions with some. So lesson learned, if a FIIO product have the same design I can not use them.

DSCF2552.jpg

Kiwiears Quartet I had to high expectations for, fun tuning but lack refinement in its midrange and treble. Bass was fun and big, had great impact.

1689698512118.png

IMR BC 2023, mostly a comfort issue. Weird design similar to have the FD11 gives me problems, but also that hey give pain over time.
I had less bass than Etymotic ER2SE it was almost none existent, hundreds hours burn in and a accident that played at 100 volume on a DAP with high gain for 12hours fixed the low end. Was stuck most likely.
Sound is now good, then its just the comfort issue. Can work for smaller sessions of max 1hour before pain.

DSCF1941.jpg

ISN NEO 5 I love this new release of Penon, big fun sound. Its so perfect for me, but many brighter instruments sounds off and not that real. And its one of the smaller soundstages I have heard. I like this tuning direction of ISN, I just hope for NEO7 with maybe a better upper midrange and treble.

1689699083632.png
It just goes to show how different ears have different fit the IMR BC (23) is super comfortable I can wear it for hours with no issues AKG n5005 on the other hand really fatigues my ears.

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #83,390 of 100,323
FIIO FW3 was a let down since they are shaped weird, longer nozzle could have helped maybe. I could not open my jaw as they would fall out, even with after market sticky tips.

DSCF2933.jpg
I had the same issue in the beginning with these but I tried my Azla Lights (the regular one with the longer stem) and they work great for me at least.

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #83,391 of 100,323
It just goes to show how different ears have different fit the IMR BC (23) is super comfortable I can wear it for hours with no issues AKG n5005 on the other hand really fatigues my ears.
Comfort is always very personal, the shell is actually very small. Comes back to that my ear probably have deeper opening where the tip sits. So the chassis of the BC hits the flat part outside.
It's not the worst I have tried by any means. And the sound makes it worth it 😉

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #83,393 of 100,323
Penon's QC. ISN EST50 came to me broken out of the box. Penon Tail had scratches and dents, someone chowed it or dropped it multiple times before shipping...
Sorry to hear this. Pretty much the exact opposite of my experiences with Penon.
They have world-class customer service and I'm sure they will always make it right.

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #83,394 of 100,323
Can’t believe you’re making me defend BeGGAR‘s stance :triportsad:
What he’s saying is genres like Metal (with its rapid beats) are not friendly to three DDs pushing air, at different frequencies, to a single passive radiator. It’s like reporting to three direct supervisors. The only thing that you are guaranteed of is confusion and a convoluted work product.
ah I didn’t watch the video, so

1: HBB complains about not holding up with the speed and complexion of metal, also added reverb inside that is gone I'd he removes the passive radiator and block the hole.

general impression from this “removes passive radiator and block the hole” increase air pressure and gain levels

not holding up with speed and complexity = 3DD’s layering didn’t meet his preference for metal

2:
genres like Metal (with its rapid beats) are not friendly to three DDs pushing air, at different frequencies, to a single passive radiator. It’s like reporting to three direct supervisors.
general impression: 3DD is too busy for metal?

Anyway, I feel DZ4 is pretty technical and nicely tuned, maybe for a busy track like hard electronica it may struggle, I haven’t tried DZ4 on busy tracks yet, I can try it later.

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #83,395 of 100,323

Can be IEM, earbud, accessories or just a brand. Would be fun to see, it's easy to have high hopes and then your expectations gets destroyed. Got a few here, most come from ergonomic standpoint 😅

Had two NiceHCK cables with such bad ergonomics they are practically unusable. And 2 faulty ones also from NiceHCK.
moondrop b3; i thought it would get more attention, it's not even mentioned anymore.

audiosense t 800; At first I didn't like it, I wasn't even listening. I thought I wasted my money. then after experimenting with things like smooth welding, I realized that nothing I tried in the 0 - 200 band could come close to t 800

quartet; overrated and forgotten

stellaris; a bad try of moondrop

changle; It's a terrible model, it's cheap, but it was exaggerated at first. Many budget models can easily surpass it.

waner sg; it may be older but definitely one of the best in the $20 band

planar; It was the type of driver that I expected the most development, I don't understand why development stopped.

pr 2; kz managed to attract the attention of the audiophile world, then they victimized customers again for ridiculous reasons

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #83,396 of 100,323
CCA HM20 Review and Impressions of this budget 'Flagship' IEM
After some anticipation, I finally got my hands on a CCA HM20, and they did not disappoint. I had the opportunity to compare them to a range of other headphone sets such as the KBear Rosefinch, 7Hz Legato, S12, Cadenza, ER2XR, Blessing 2 and P1 Max. What struck me the most about all these options is that they each offered their own unique sound profile, despite the differences in their price points.

Let's dive into the HM20. At first, their tonal presentation can sound intense, and it took some time to warm up to them. However, once my brain had "burned in" to their sound signature, this set truly took off. If I were to describe the sound of the HM20, it would be Diffuse-Field with added bass and mid-range warmth yet remains clear and without bloat. The HM20 manages to strike an impressive balance.
1689704850274.png

Now, let's talk about the bass. Despite having a large bass shelf, these IEMs don’t sound overwhelming with bass and that is in part as the HM20’s vivid top-end nature that balances this out. There have been some reviews claiming that the bass on the HM20 is weaker in quality compared to other sets, however I found the dynamic driver on the HM20 to deliver a satisfying low-end response. The mid-bass, on the other hand, offers a warm tone with a satisfying punch. There's a certain richness and depth to the sound that further enhances the overall listening experience. Of course, achieving a proper seal is crucial to fully experience the potential of the bass. While there may be a slight hint of rubbery springiness to the sub-bass frequencies, it actually adds a pleasant bounce that enhances the overall listening experience. While it may not be the last word on bass quality I found it to be on par or even better than say the bass on the Moondrop Blessing 2, which can be a bit diffused and tad blunted. In presentation, it just comes across clear, perhaps those acoustic tubes are doing their work here.

The mid-range works quite well, slopes from ~700 Hz and downward. While this will make the lower-range not as clear in presentation (say compared to Variations, Truthear Zero / Red, HBB Khan) it is not distracting and adds some warm. This is a conventional approach that also leads to a punchier more impactful mid-bass. I think too many sets have tried to keep it safe on the upper mid-range and presence area and the HM20 lifts just a bit more here. The mid-range and bass warmth work well and add note weight and body. You can listen to this at reasonable levels and it just sounds right.

Moving on to the high frequencies, the high hats on the HM20 sound incredibly clean and crisp. They manage to strike the perfect balance between clarity and smoothness, without ever becoming brittle or brash. It’s top-end treble remains controlled and extends nicely. As mentioned, the HM20 actually adheres quite closely to a Diffuse Field target curve from the upper-midrange all the way up. No wonder reviewers like Akros (his great in-depth review here with comparisons) claimed that it does well with binaural content. This also makes it great as a gaming headphone as it would work well with binaural 3D audio spatial engines in many newer games. Very spatially immersive, with DSP you are encased in an audio bubble.

Generally, from a technical perspective, I think CCA have done a great job with this set. It’s a very compact design compared to many bulky cavities of some sets, and sits very well in the ear, remaining fairly flush, ensuring you won’t get wind-noise when outside. The seal is quite good as well.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the level of sound quality these lower-cost sets achieve. It's a testament to the dedication and innovation put forth by these manufacturers to offer exceptional audio experiences without breaking the bank.

The HM20 is a headphone set worth considering for those seeking a balanced sound profile that offers unique room space feel and a captivating listening experience.

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #83,397 of 100,323

DSCF2933.jpg

DSCF2552.jpg

1689698512118.png

DSCF1941.jpg

1689699083632.png
Yes, I too had problems with the fit of the FD11. I have large ear canals as well. KZ Starlines with a bit more length did help but the earpieces never feel really secure. The shiny shells and the weight distribution result in a fit not dissimilar to the notorious BL-03.

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #83,398 of 100,323
Yes, I too had problems with the fit of the FD11. I have large ear canals as well. KZ Starlines with a bit more length did help but the earpieces never feel really secure. The shiny shells and the weight distribution result in a fit not dissimilar to the notorious BL-03.
try with Spinfit cp100 Plus L size or cp145 L size.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #83,399 of 100,323

DSCF1941.jpg

With this great heat that has hit Italy, I haven't had much desire these days to listen to music through headphones...

but you made me want to enjoy a music session with the BC2023... and yes.. it was worth getting them.

I found a good fitting with eartips like the orange ones in the picture.
Great seal and comfort and… BASS BASS.

IMG_4919.jpeg

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #83,400 of 100,323
Appreciate the post! SR8 really is a special IEM. The fact that it is at $750 for the sound it kicks out is definitely fantastic value for $$. You really nailed it about how it envelops you in sound. So true. I think the magic has to do with the richness of the midrange, and what I think of as the 'scale' of the midrange. It just has this grand fullness, and is spread over a large area. For me this is what gives the IEM such a true-to-life feel. It may not have the last iota in sub-bass extension (although it is very good "for a BA low end"), and maybe not the twinkliest treble, but the combination of the details and layering it does throw out, and 3D character of the soundstage, give it this grandeur that I find addicting.

I think the 10th is very close to this level. Another masterpiece. It's just a bit more of an analogue presentation, with a touch more bass kick / warmth. Can't go wrong with either IEM, that's for sure.
You described SR8 wonderfully, much better than I ever could...

It honestly took me a good month of daily casual listening to grasp how SR8 presented itself and magically produced music replay. SR8 sounds like nothing else; other iems aspire to sound like SR8 - it's that special.

Now Penon Audio's 10th Anniversary Edition (10th AE)... I had other pending iem orders, after hearing 10th, I cancelled them. 10th re-awakened in me the youthful joy in which I enjoyed my music collection. It gets it right, the first time, every time - it's that special (too 😊). BTW, your description of 10th is excellent!

If I could offer any advice to youngsters jumping into the hobby...
-Buy SR8 & 10th, the end 😎.

Oddly enough, after getting SR8 &10th AE my iem-wanderlust has finally waned.

Now I ask before any next iem purchase the following:
1. How is it different (from the oceans of other iems)?
2. Is it different in a good/great/excellent way (from the oceans of other iems)?
3. Is it better than the 10th &/or SR8?
4. Cost-to-performance justifiable?

But dammit... Turbo keeps whispering my name 🤣😭🤣!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back