The discovery thread!
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #83,356 of 100,552
The CVJ Nami has arrived. Graphs below via IEC711 coupler, 8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.
CVJ Nami.jpg

This is a 1DD + 1BA hybrid.

The Nami refers to "浪里" in Chinese, which roughly translates to "within the waves". Listening impressions to follow later.

Nami 2.jpg
Nami 1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #83,358 of 100,552
Post arrived got to say the EPZ only took 1 week from Ali express to UK fastest ever on the EPZ I was ready to roast them but damn on first listen they sound very decent and considering the price excellent. The Kiwi ears Quintet has all the details for my ADHD brain I'll need a long brain burn for them before I make a decision
20230718_122914~2.JPG
20230718_122854~2.JPG
20230718_122924~2.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #83,359 of 100,552
Personally, my biggest disappointment is the TRI Star River. It was the first of the "tunable" dual DD hype to hit our shores this year, but was a flop.

TRI Star River Graph.jpg

Marketed to have 4 tuning options, but there are only 2 distinct ones on independent graphing (scam).

Tuning switch on one side is stuck and requires great force to toggle (bad QC).

Below average technicalities for a $59 USD set, very shouty/harsh old school V-shaped tuning of bygone ears. (bad tuning)

I'll deduct one star for each of the above transgressions, so it gets a 2/5 ranking from me.
Honestly, tuning switches are my least favourite craze right now. None I've seen look like they're built for longevity (or coolness). The minimal changes they do make could be achieved with any minor EQ tweak and why would you buy them if you didn't like the sound signature in the first place?

I felt that way until I saw the Nuarl, the Nuarl soundstage toggle looks cool and does something more fun than a minir treble boost.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #83,360 of 100,552
Edit: on the plus side, what is the one audio gear that you anticipate the most this year?

I am looking forward to the tribrid from AüR Ascension, and also my Roar portable amp.

Moving away from AüR, I highly look forward to the Hisenior OKAVANGO.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #83,361 of 100,552
What is peoples biggest disappointment this year in audio?

Can be IEM, earbud, accessories or just a brand. Would be fun to see, it's easy to have high hopes and then your expectations gets destroyed. Got a few here, most come from ergonomic standpoint 😅

Had two NiceHCK cables with such bad ergonomics they are practically unusable. And 2 faulty ones also from NiceHCK.

The tuning switch craze. Just buy an iem that you like the sound of. Or use one of your 5 DAPs to EQ.

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #83,362 of 100,552

Can be IEM, earbud, accessories or just a brand. Would be fun to see, it's easy to have high hopes and then your expectations gets destroyed. Got a few here, most come from ergonomic standpoint 😅

Had two NiceHCK cables with such bad ergonomics they are practically unusable. And 2 faulty ones also from NiceHCK.
  • 7Hz Legato, It's not bad per se but I expected more special sauce or something different
  • Softears Studio 4, biggest disappointment of all. This might be considered good among all-BA aficionados but I'm not one of them. This is my 3rd all-BA set and it will be my last until there's a magic technology jump. Until then, all-BA sets, just NO.
Anyhow this year saw by far more epic products than bad ones.

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #83,363 of 100,552
From your opinion, which dongle suits SR7? E1da or W2?
Since SR7 already has pretty warm bass (I listen it with bass switch off), W2 has a good synergy.

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #83,364 of 100,552
Jul 18, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #83,365 of 100,552
That's a bummer. They have been going downhill for a while now though, IMO. Still... this is unfortunate news for folks just getting into the hobby, etc.
They didn't even mention trying to keep the audiophile aspects of their community intact. They have been moving away from the audio stuff in favor of keyboard, desks and the like for a while now. Seems inevitable they will change their focus, but who knows?
When @CEE TEE left MassDrop, the writing was on the wall, for audio endeavors

COLLABs

What's been a positive turnaround ?
AliExpress
, they've been making a real effort to be buyer friendly over the last 12 months, at least for U.S. sales:
1. Some items now come with a 14 day delivery
2. An automated return process that puts the onerous on the seller, to respond to a dispute, in a timely manner.
3. "Free returns" include a pre-paid return label and a domestic return address

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #83,366 of 100,552

Kiwi Ears Quartet

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #83,367 of 100,552
ah, the legendary "pure" Beryllium DD KBear Believe.
sold for relatively short period of time, but the owners of it swears on its SQ.
The Believe is a diva. Tip sensitive, source sensitive, needs lots of juice and a high quality cable. I use the TRI Grace S, 2.5mm balanced. Get it right and she will reward you!

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #83,369 of 100,552
Unless you have 0 idea of what you were getting into when getting the DZ4, you'll be fine. It's a more than decent set imo
Thanks! I think the tuning will fit me well, going by reviews. Never seen an iem with so mixed reviews before though. HBB says they're trash, while others prefer them over Quintet. 🤔

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #83,370 of 100,552

Not tangible per se, but how FR graphs have become standardized that if it doesn't follow a specific target, it's not good. So companies end up following the same target again and again and makes a lot of IEMs sound the same with a different coat of paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back