The discovery thread!
Jul 17, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #83,326 of 100,551
Him or Penon 10th?
I was saying this in regards to the EPZ 530 but the Penon 10th is sooooo good as well.
These are the 2 best IEMs I have heard this year.
And, @Tonytex AKA Akros on YouTube is the reviewer that brought the 530 to my attention, so all the credit to him for having the courage to take a chance and finding a hidden gem for us!

EDIT: I don't think he specifically mentions it in the video, but I am guessing by the title that he is implying that the 530 has become the 4th member of a group that includes the Sound Rhyme SR8, AüR Neon Pro, Dunu SA6 Mk2 and now the EPZ 530.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #83,327 of 100,551
TonyTex nailed it on EPZ530 & Leisurely Audio L8S. Added those to the stable with my prized stallion, SoundRhyme SR8.

Really not looking for anything new... but that Penon Audio Turbo is tempting 🤔 😏
How would you say the L8S and the 530 compare? I was close to ordering the L8S but ended up going with EPZ instead.
I, too, am tempted by the Penon Turbo. Trying to hold out until there are more reviews, but it is difficult to show restraint.
Everything that they make I have heard from Penon has been quite good, but the 10th AE has blown my mind.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #83,328 of 100,551
Man you've got a great selection there. I've been pondering the L8. And Tony's review of the 530 was eye-opening. How close do those get to the SR8, in your opinion? I'm kind of tempted by Turbo, but not to the point I'm going to hurry and click 'buy' immediately.
I'm just getting to the point of truly appreciating how special SR8 is in the audio landscape. Never had many all BA sets until recently with 530 & L8S. SA6Ult didn't really knock my socks off (but it's a Dunu 😎!) & Lokahi was pretty decent.

But SR8... just envelopes you in luscious sound; it sweeps you up in the music. It actually feels like an audio experience not a listening session. Deeply musical never scathing in playback. Bass power (mostly mid?) is impressive (to me), sub-bass could be stronger (BAs though). Still... *Chef's Kiss*!

Haven't heard Aüre NP, but L8S sounds like SR8's long lost little half-brother in some ways. Hard to describe... keeps concept of SR8 tuning wirh half the drivers, half the magic?🤔 EPZ530 is brighter (than both) but strangely just as musical, not as luscious. I like to believe this is what NP sounds like. 530's "sparklies" are tiptoeing my treble threshold... but still excellently tuned. Good thing I waited on NP I guess.

Need more Turbo reviews to get motivated to drain my wallet (and strain my marriage 😫😏😎)!

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #83,329 of 100,551
I'm just getting to the point of truly appreciating how special SR8 is in the audio landscape. Never had many all BA sets until recently with 530 & L8S. SA6Ult didn't really knock my socks off (but it's a Dunu 😎!) & Lokahi was pretty decent.

But SR8... just envelopes you in luscious sound; it sweeps you up in the music. It actually feels like an audio experience not a listening session. Deeply musical never scathing in playback. Bass power (mostly mid?) is impressive (to me), sub-bass could be stronger (BAs though). Still... *Chef's Kiss*!

Haven't heard Aüre NP, but L8S sounds like SR8's long lost little half-brother in some ways. Hard to describe... keeps concept of SR8 tuning wirh half the drivers, half the magic?🤔 EPZ530 is brighter (than both) but strangely just as musical, not as luscious. I like to believe this is what NP sounds like. 530's "sparklies" are tiptoeing my treble threshold... but still excellently tuned. Good thing I waited on NP I guess.

Need more Turbo reviews to get motivated to drain my wallet (and strain my marriage 😫😏😎)!
So you found the L8S and 530 different enough to warrant buying both? Would it be worth it to save up for the SR8 and skip the L8S? Thanks!

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #83,330 of 100,551
I was saying this in regards to the EPZ 530 but the Penon 10th is sooooo good as well.
These are the 2 best IEMs I have heard this year.
And, @Tonytex AKA Akros on YouTube is the reviewer that brought the 530 to my attention, so all the credit to him for having the courage to take a chance and finding a hidden gem for us!

EDIT: I don't think he specifically mentions it in the video, but I am guessing by the title that he is implying that the 530 has become the 4th member of a group that includes the Sound Rhyme SR8, AuR Neon Pro, Dunu SA6 Mk2 and now the EPZ 530.

I have Sa6, Neon Pro, and SR8, and can’t say SA6 is on the same group with Neon Pro and SR8🤔

Maybe that group is very wide “S”
tier.

SA6 is 90/100 in my grading system, but Neon Pro and SR8 are
95 and 97, there is a very very far distance from a 90/100 to reach the last miles, as we all know the diminishing return on this small 1 step would cost huge investment every step😅

It’s a bit too rough to call SA6 into that group.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #83,331 of 100,551
Man you've got a great selection there. I've been pondering the L8. And Tony's review of the 530 was eye-opening. How close do those get to the SR8, in your opinion? I'm kind of tempted by Turbo, but not to the point I'm going to hurry and click 'buy' immediately.
The SR7 is an unsung gem at $370. Amazing BA performance and the DD just crushes.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #83,332 of 100,551
The SR7 is an unsung gem at $370. Amazing BA performance and the DD just crushes.
Agree.. It SR7 is a new benchmark IEM for mid $300 that pushed Blessing 3 sideways IMO especially it’s solid tuned. It actually helped me from getting too many wired IEMs aside from Performer 8 and AuR Aurora. One last IEM I purchased was qdc’s first attempt in sub$100 single DD, a Japan exclusive model qdc Superior.

SR7 is a good choice between Performer 8 for rich and great dynamics, or overall well tuned mid focused all rounder SR7.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #83,333 of 100,551
I have Sa6, Neon Pro, and SR8, and can’t say SA6 is on the same group with Neon Pro and SR8🤔

Maybe that group is very wide “S”
tier.

SA6 is 90/100 in my grading system, but Neon Pro and SR8 are
95 and 97, there is a very very far distance from a 90/100 to reach the last miles, as we all know the diminishing return on this small 1 step would cost huge investment every step😅

It depends a great deal on the criteria underlying the assessment. All of these are capable IEMs, IMHO, though I also do not put either SA6 OG or SA6II in the 5/5 bracket. In casual listening, I found they lack just a bit "snappiness", separation and space, which is sometimes irritating to me (keep in mind that I like layers of my music to be crisply separated with razor focus). Not severely lacking, more like 0.5 step.

At the same time, I tend to favour sterile or neutral-with-bass-boost sound signatures in pursue of these "technical advantages", so what I like might be utterly repulsive to other listeners :dt880smile:

Hopefully some brave Aussie souls would grab Neon Pro or SR8 one day. I'm very curious about these, given how Japanese audiophiles on Twitter go crazy about them.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #83,334 of 100,551
Thanks for that assessment of the SR7.... I've been considering that one too. Highly, highly tempting.

Agree.. It SR7 is a new benchmark IEM for mid $300 that pushed Blessing 3 sideways IMO especially it’s solid tuned. It actually helped me from getting too many wired IEMs aside from Performer 8 and AuR Aurora. One last IEM I purchased was qdc’s first attempt in sub$100 single DD, a Japan exclusive model qdc Superior.

SR7 is a good choice between Performer 8 for rich and great dynamics, or overall well tuned mid focused all rounder SR7.
SR7 seems like a definite winner... Especially with how good both the SR8 & DTE500 are. Unfortunately I've had bad experiences with the Performer 8 and Aurora recently. With the Performer 8, I got a defective pair where the left side was terribly out of balance. I returned it and before I got around to trying it again, I'd made a couple other purchases and effectively moved on. With the Aurora, I just found it sort of thin in the mids, and constrained in its spatial presentation. I enjoyed the Neo 5 much better in comparison. Way more natural mids, and more height/ depth/ width to boot. I guess Sound Rhyme (& ISN) is/ are much more my cup o' tea.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #83,335 of 100,551

From your opinion, which dongle suits SR7? E1da or W2?

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #83,336 of 100,551
Thanks for that assessment of the SR7.... I've been considering that one too. Highly, highly tempting.

SR7 seems like a definite winner... Especially with how good both the SR8 & DTE500 are. Unfortunately I've had bad experiences with the Performer 8 and Aurora recently. With the Performer 8, I got a defective pair where the left side was terribly out of balance. I returned it and before I got around to trying it again, I'd made a couple other purchases and effectively moved on. With the Aurora, I just found it sort of thin in the mids, and constrained in its spatial presentation. I enjoyed the Neo 5 much better in comparison. Way more natural mids, and more height/ depth/ width to boot. I guess Sound Rhyme (& ISN) is/ are much more my cup o' tea.
I have the SR7 finishing up burn-in as we speak. From what I have heard so far, 100% agree what has been said about it being a new standard-bearer at it's price point.
Sad to hear that about both the P8 and the Aurora. I had heard good buzz about both.
Neo 5 is the truth, though.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #83,337 of 100,551
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #83,338 of 100,551
For folks who frequent (MASS)DROP, there's some sudden news that Corsair has bought them over: https://drop.com/talk/131332/step-forward-in-our-evolution
That's a bummer. They have been going downhill for a while now though, IMO. Still... this is unfortunate news for folks just getting into the hobby, etc.
They didn't even mention trying to keep the audiophile aspects of their community intact. They have been moving away from the audio stuff in favor of keyboard, desks and the like for a while now. Seems inevitable they will change their focus, but who knows?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #83,339 of 100,551
That's a bummer. They have been going downhill for a while now though, IMO. Still... this is unfortunate news for folks just getting into the hobby, etc.
They didn't even mention trying to keep the audiophile aspects of their community intact. They have been moving away from the audio stuff in favor of keyboard, desks and the like for a while now. Seems inevitable they will change their focus, but who knows?

Yep, their audiophile gear selection seemed much better in the past, it seems they are going for keycaps recently? Some of the previous DROP exclusive audio gear were quite memorable, so I hope they don't DROP the audiophile wing (no pun intended).

Sadly, I know an acquaintance working for them who was retrenched a few weeks back. So perhaps they weren't doing too well, and now the acquisition by another company.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #83,340 of 100,551

Users who are viewing this thread

Back