The discovery thread!
Jun 13, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #80,881 of 106,801
I'm not seeing the point in trying to invalidate TDM's opinion about Kiwi Ears just because you disagree with him, if you're going to talk about trusting one's ears and brains. Isn't he just doing the same thing?
He's talking about not buying another Kiwi Ears product unless his "trusted friends" tells him it's good to buy. I'm merely responding to that point. How is that invalidating his opinion? I never said anything like "your opinion sucks," or "you're wrong about so and so IEM."

I only trust my own ears and brain, not other people's. I may take some people's opinions into consideration when deciding to buy or not buy something, but ultimately, it's my own opinion that matters to me.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #80,882 of 106,801
I only trust my own ears and brain, not other people's. I may take some people's opinions into consideration when deciding to buy or not buy something,

That's literally what he said he'd do because he won't blind buy a Kiwi Ears set for himself. If people he trusts give it positive impressions, he may change his mind and buy it. I don't know why people just want to be mad at other people. If TDM doesn't want to buy a Quintet it's no big deal, and if he changes his mind, who cares? He's not hurting anybody

Jun 13, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #80,883 of 106,801
That's literally what he said he'd do because he won't blind buy a Kiwi Ears set for himself. If people he trusts give it positive impressions, he may change his mind and buy it. I don't know why people just want to be mad at other people. If TDM doesn't want to buy a Quintet it's no big deal, and if he changes his mind, who cares? He's not hurting anybody
Only person "getting mad" here is you, pal. Just because I responded to someone not even involving you. Don't get why some people are so sensitive and defensive about things.

Seems like every time Kiwi Ears get brought up, the haters got to make things weird and argumentative around here.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #80,884 of 106,801
HiFri Aphex's ($75, 1DD) near final graph
as one commenter ask whether its better than Aria, HiFri answer its better than Kato, tough i don't quite know his preference.
one thing i remember is he have relatively high treble tolerance,

Ooof yeah over 10 dB of pinna gain is definitely for treble heads 😅

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #80,885 of 106,801
I saw a NiceHCK purplese cable offer for €11 and when it came to paying, they charged €8.42. It's my third one and the cheapest.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #80,886 of 106,801
Man you say do dont love stuff people get up in arms on here. I didn't say I didn't like the other KiwiEars. Just my opinion and observations have tried them all.

I said the Candenza was the last hit they had. The rest since then had mixed feedback and were not a standout IEM IMHO. I never critique if someone says they don't like something because your ears are not my ears. And if you love something I don't I am genuinely happy it brings joy to you.

I always try to be the man my dog thinks I am!.

Attachments

• 20230609_095249.jpg
    20230609_095249.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 13, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #80,888 of 106,801
SONY WH-CH520
IMG_8400.jpeg

▶︎Purchased from Amazon at $38
▶︎Pretty Light/weight, but plastic-y (feels cheap)
▶︎SQ is about an average you can expect from a $30 headphone, not terrible like the ones I had for Lenovo’s or KZ.
▶︎I thought it has ANC, but sadly it’s just a wireless 5.2 bluetooth headphone.
▶︎The SONY headphone App is pretty simple and supports multi-point connectivity which is a plus
▶︎it also supoorts 360 reality audio and the app will guide user to take a photo of their both ears to run the data thru their algorithms. Tidal supports 360 reality audio but I have to say, I barely see that format on Tidal, only the billboard top40s.
IMG_8401.jpeg

However my main purpose for this headphone is to pair with TV while my HVACs making a tremendous huge noise (it’s American house, so the A/C is control by a central HVAC system, it’s huge machinery and makes a loud noise 80-90dB, I can turn up the TV volume when HVAC is on, but it’s bothersome and hard to hear the less audible sounds, so an ANC function with comfortable fit is a must)

For this purpose, WH-ANC520 is not a good pair, the noise isolation isn’t effective enough. I guess this is a budget option for wireless music experience rather than TV usage.

The Baseus H1 Bowie is a better pair here with $31 offering that comes with decent SQ and longer battery life, bluetooth 5.2, and powerful ANC.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #80,890 of 106,801
Jun 13, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #80,891 of 106,801
SONY WH-CH520
IMG_8400.jpeg

▶︎Purchased from Amazon at $38
▶︎Pretty Light/weight, but plastic-y (feels cheap)
▶︎SQ is about an average you can expect from a $30 headphone, not terrible like the ones I had for Lenovo’s or KZ.
▶︎I thought it has ANC, but sadly it’s just a wireless 5.2 bluetooth headphone.
▶︎The SONY headphone App is pretty simple and supports multi-point connectivity which is a plus
▶︎it also supoorts 360 reality audio and the app will guide user to take a photo of their both ears to run the data thru their algorithms. Tidal supports 360 reality audio but I have to say, I barely see that format on Tidal, only the billboard top40s.
IMG_8401.jpeg

However my main purpose for this headphone is to pair with TV while my HVACs making a tremendous huge noise (it’s American house, so the A/C is control by a central HVAC system, it’s huge machinery and makes a loud noise 80-90dB, I can turn up the TV volume when HVAC is on, but it’s bothersome and hard to hear the less audible sounds, so an ANC function with comfortable fit is a must)

For this purpose, WH-ANC520 is not a good pair, the noise isolation isn’t effective enough. I guess this is a budget option for wireless music experience rather than TV usage.

The Baseus H1 Bowie is a better pair here with $31 offering that comes with decent SQ and longer battery life, bluetooth 5.2, and powerful ANC.
How is the sound quality vs the WH-1000xm4/5 ? If it is the same then we know Sony is charging 300$ just for the ANC feature

Jun 13, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #80,893 of 106,801
The night is high here, but I am not sleepy today. I am hooked on to HiBy R6 Pro II and Audeze Euclids, the combination sounds pretty solid. I know the Euclids scale with better amplification, but it just feels right and even though the output power ratings are quite low, the pair is being driven nicely. It just hits me in the perfect spot with a sweet musical tone and detailed presentation. Today's picture is a little bad in quality because my wife and kid are sleeping and they will kick my ass if I turn the light on lol.

Euclid with R6 Pro II.jpg

Also I have setup my squiglink(since recently got a coupler so was playing around). Super* is a fantastic guy, he helped me through the basics of posting on squiglink. Here's my graph for Performer8(Also my review got on the home page so happy hehe).
https://gadgetgenerations.squig.link/?share=AFUL_performer8

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #80,894 of 106,801
Man you say do dont love stuff people get up in arms on here. I didn't say I didn't like the other KiwiEars. Just my opinion and observations have tried them all.

I said the Candenza was the last hit they had. The rest since then had mixed feedback and were not a standout IEM IMHO. I never critique if someone says they don't like something because your ears are not my ears. And if you love something I don't I am genuinely happy it brings joy to you.

I always try to be the man my dog thinks I am!.
I'm excited to find out if my ears can hear what you were saying about the Quartet. There's also part of me that hopes I can't, the worst thing that ever happened to me was finding out what even low-end chifi IEMs can resolve compared to the old gear I was using before. lol

Literally the only fight I'm willing to have with anyone over Kiwi Ears is over the correct pronunciation of the musical terms. I was so hot to correct you on your Dolce video, luckily the comments on YouTube already had me covered.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #80,895 of 106,801
Xetian Wu is fairly impressive IEM.image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back