The discovery thread!
May 13, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #78,706 of 101,944
Anything with USB-C is prone to disconnects(pro tip). Or I go with the go blu with case and carabiner. I can’t wait for the iPhone 15 which they finally ditch the lightning for usb-c.
You are looking forward to a connection which according to your pro tip is prone to disconnecting?

May 13, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #78,707 of 101,944
$3,299.00 for a dynamic + 4 BA + 1 EST, and here I sit, with a cheshire grin on my face, listening to my sub $500 Aure's, with stellar, and I mean STELLAR musical presentation. Mother Love Bone never sounded better, and I got $2,843 sitting in the bank for other things. lol :wink:
Great, now how can I get one? :smile:

May 13, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #78,708 of 101,944
You are looking forward to a connection which according to your pro tip is prone to disconnecting?
“One Piece” like the UA1 or Space Lite or that tempotec one. Im taking about dongles that don’t require a second removable usb-c or etc cable, instead a built-in “non-removable” cable

Fiio KA1 would work too but it looks a little big to be pocketable and not scratch up your phone but it will have less points to connection failure than a single with a separate removable cable. (50% higher probable failure rate)

Apple dongle and the Stargate has been 100% reliable for me, especially on long runs and hikes…etc

May 13, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #78,709 of 101,944
Quick OOTB for KZ x HBB PR2
IMG_7934.jpeg

▶︎Personal Purchase from KZ Global Shop at $29USD

▶︎The measurement appears almost a re-shoot of discontinued Tangzu’s legendary Planar, Wu Zetian.
IMG_7938.png

Wu Zetian = 14.5mm full-size planar
PR2 = 13.2mm full-size planar (bellsing?)

I run PR2 through 3 sets of 60min online burn-in session from this site:
https://www.chord-m.com/en/?runin=open

A pretty nice comprehensive initial burn-in tool that works great to most of transducers.

The right-out-of-the-box performance was a nightmare…I removed 70% of my out of box comments with “maybe I‘ve expected too much from KZ”.

I’m really curious what Crin (the burn-in disbeliever) would comment his out of box comment on PR2 VS A proper burn-in completed set of PR2. He has enough sensitive set of ears to tell a huge difference of this change🤔

⭕️PR2 requires significantly higher level of gain to have a proper sonic performance.
⭕️With Stock foam ear tips that is attached to PR2 out of box, and standard KZ stock cable, PR2 isn’t performing the true potentials

—Tonal Balance
As well-expected from HBB collaboration, warm and relaxed treble neutral that matches perfectly to tracks with “energy / momentum “ prerequisites. It also has good amount of detail articulation and with slightly accentuated air region, if you feel PR2 lacks air, you probably belong to “artificially generated air” lover.

—Timbre Tasting
Top Note: Tactile yet Nimble sub-bass
Heart Note: Smooth and tonally accurate mid
Bottom Note: Far reaching and pretty natural treble

—PR2 vs Wu Zetian OG
IMG_7936.jpeg

On the paper, PR2 appears to be more detailed around treble and air region?

I performed direct A-B test both using same ear tips (SpinFit CP360) and Wu’s 4.4mm balanced stock cable.

▶︎Wu has a noticeable advantage over PR2 for the planar driver performance in terms of transient response.

Wu sounds light and fast, PR2 sounds slightly slow when directly compared to Wu Zetian, I’d day 90% in speed.

For tuning wise both Wu and PR2 are almost same projectile, you can refer my Wu’s OOTB for the tonality.

Here is my Wu’s out of box impression as

▶︎For Bass-Mid, the performance gap is 100 : 90 For Treble 100 : 95 for Wu : PR2

They are almost par👍

▶︎Planar performance at almost bare minimum budget🤯, for the price of $29, I bet this is hard to beat Planar experience anyone would chip in.

Overall experience, my expectations was very high, and PR2 actually met with that high expectations which is very rare occasion to my experience in any IEM open box experienc.

Also, although with HBB’s tuning advise, I’m quite surprised KZ is now able to tune IEM to fit to the target without sacrificing timbral accuracy which unfortunately did not happen back then to Zex Pro /CRN.

PR2 is 90-95% Wu Zetian and is best IEM of KZ has offered to date. Wow, great job in offering A-class IEM with that low budget!!
20230512_162344.jpg
20230512_163819.jpg

May 13, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #78,711 of 101,944
Quick OOTB for KZ x HBB PR2
Yep, my experiance, too. Sure I am no expert to say words so detailed and "expert mode"; big thanks for that !

As OG Zetian Wu is my loved main I am very happy to have a PR2. I am thinking on ordering another pair (one to use at a computer and one for my KZ AZ09 Pro).

May 13, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #78,712 of 101,944
has anyone tried? setting key for 10 bucks, cvj sent me one but still in shipping.

Attachments

• -1089651663383061563.jpg
    -1089651663383061563.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 0
May 13, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #78,713 of 101,944
May 13, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #78,714 of 101,944
Do you think we can fit these in earbuds shells?
I asked myself that question since I found the Toneking BL1 in early 2020.

Then I got immediately reminded of, well... In hindsight I do have one buyer's remorse about the HE400se. I didn't take the existence of earbuds into consideration.

I think what turns me off is that every single earbud I tried makes my ears itchy after mere minutes.

Also about the whole amplifiers subject. I just remind myself that Crinacle has an IER-Z1R that he happily uses drives with the Apple USB Type-C dongle for portable use despite owning an iFi micro iDSD Black Label and a Topping A90.

https://crinacle.com/2020/09/06/topping-a90-in-the-hands-of-a-non-believer
https://crinacle.com/2019/02/02/ifi-micro-idsd-black-label-in-the-hands-of-a-non-believer

Edit: He does point out a ground loop issue with the A90 however. Which while is virtually inaudible with open-back headphones, it's severe enough that it locks him out of using any form of SE for IEMs.

But then again, he seems to be a believe of min-maxing, which in this context it seems to mean spend the bulk of the money on the transducer end of the audio chain, AKA the electromechanical part, AKA the part that actually needs to somehow FLAWLESSLY, turn electrical energy into kinetic energy. And not the entirely solid-state devices that turn electricity into other types of electricity (DAC) or electricity of higher magnitude (Amplifier).

And he absolutely does not advocate for cable rolling either. I think this is also true for HBB although I don't think he's a non-believer when it comes to the sources themselves.

ANYWAY in the events I DO end up considering earbuds. What earbuds would you suggest for both under $100 and under $50 that HOPEFULLY won't make my ears itchy?

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #78,715 of 101,944
May 13, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #78,716 of 101,944
ANYWAY in the events I DO end up considering earbuds. What earbuds would you suggest for both under $100 and under $50 that HOPEFULLY won't make my ears itchy?

FiiO FF3. It's affordable, and it sounds really special. I don't have that much experience with earbuds, but I haven't heard any thing with that kind of large, headphone-like presentation. FF5 is a little crisper, a little bit more "audiophile", but it sounds like earbuds rather than something more than that. RikudouGoku and tgx78 also make some very nice buds. Riku might be able to make something interesting for you. I'm reviewing one of his earbuds and have been quite impressed so far.

May 13, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #78,719 of 101,944
I was on S12 train. Within that month, it was impressive how much extra clarity and separation planar can bring to that price bracket. But very soon, traditional hybrid sets strike back with better performance and better tuning, so I haven’t bother with more planar since. At AUD $50, these KZ planar is insanely good.

These KZ planar IEMs sound day and night different between a small dongle and a full sized portable amp. The tonality stays the same, of course, but the stage and dynamic increase substantially.
You may understimate "small" dongles.
If one wants the best band for the buck, one should stick to $500 market :dt880smile: They are truely high-end products (but not exactly luxury goods) that likely to be relevant and serve you for a long time. The road to TOTL is difficult and costly.

Folks, any recommendation for an alternative to Apple dongle? I mean complete clone but with better look and durability. I‘m working on the source pairing section of SA6II, and I wonder why these USB stick dongles like KA3 exist when they are not that much better than the Apple dongle, and they drain battery way quicker. Don’t get me wrong, KA3 is noticeably crisper than Apple dongle, but it’s flat, it’s 2D, and it’s not more dynamic anyway.

Btw, I’ve also learned that BA woofers like amp. If you listen to SA6II with a dongle, you might find the bass and dynamic is alright, or even meh. Everything changes with a proper amp. Personally, I think one does not get all the sound out of $580 they put in these SA6II if they only use some USB stick dongles. Just me and my criteria, of course.

To think about it, maybe the mythical “dynamic” of 64 Audio IEMs is due to the fact that they can wake up the BA woofers with everything, even Apple dongle.
Back a bit to small, but not the smallest dongles, like E1Da, Shio, Muse M3.
What they do lack is the battery, and only recent top of the line phones (and not all) may power them adequately.

So an external power source (a good battery or charging directly) often makes a huge difference, definitely more so for multi-BAs and planars.
20230513_080935.jpg

Above on the right is the E1DA cable, on the left is an improvized splitter with a battery. A bit clumsy for portable, but still more compact and practical than using an amp (and an amp will be effectively double amping - can work great, but depends).

Now for the Fiio (and Shanling, iBasso, Hiby, Hidisz, A&C, etc), just based on pure simple logic - these companies produce expensive fancy DAPs, so can one possibly expect the best sound in their DACs jeopardizing their top line? A rhetorical question, right.

I did come to this conclusion with IEMs that the "mid line" can hardly be a good deal for the money. Flagships of less-known companies are much more rewarding.

So M15 (that I do not have), E1DA and Tempotec (E44 happened to be my most verstaile one, love BHD for warmer rendering). Perhaps, also Shio as a curiously screwed-up one. Especially powered E1DA - well engineered, neutral (I do perceive a touch of tasteful bass bump in my SG3 to balance the rich ESS treble). I only wonder why with the increase in capacitance in their design line they would not switch to supercapacitors. Perhaps, I'll ask.

Anyhow, to your very question.
The Apple dongle is one and only in many senses.

A neutral more powerful simple well-designed one, the closest I can think of, is a Moondrop Click.

Some $10 ALC5686 are nice as well (I really like Keyson, and KBEar happened to feel "meh").

CX-pro is a nice one on a brighter side, very nice with bassy single DDs.

Lastly, a picture of DACs and related items to be organized:

20230505_193634.jpg

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #78,720 of 101,944
You may understimate "small" dongles.

Back a bit to small, but not the smallest dongles, like E1Da, Shio, Muse M3.
What they do lack is the battery, and only recent top of the line phones (and not all) may power them adequately.

So an external power source (a good battery or charging directly) often makes a huge difference, definitely more so for multi-BAs and planars.

Above on the right is the E1DA cable, on the left is an improvized splitter with a battery. A bit clumsy for portable, but still more compact and practical than using an amp (and an amp will be effectively double amping - can work great, but depends).

Now for the Fiio (and Shanling, iBasso, Hiby, Hidisz, A&C, etc), just based on pure simple logic - these companies produce expensive fancy DAPs, so can one possibly expect the best sound in their DACs jeopardizing their top line? A rhetorical question, right.

I did come to this conclusion with IEMs that the "mid line" can hardly be a good deal for the money. Flagships of less-known companies are much more rewarding.

So M15 (that I do not have), E1DA and Tempotec (E44 happened to be my most verstaile one, love BHD for warmer rendering). Perhaps, also Shio as a curiously screwed-up one. Especially powered E1DA - well engineered, neutral (I do perceive a touch of tasteful bass bump in my SG3 to balance the rich ESS treble). I only wonder why with the increase in capacitance in their design line they would not switch to supercapacitors. Perhaps, I'll ask.

Anyhow, to your very question.
The Apple dongle is one and only in many senses.

A neutral more powerful simple well-designed one, the closest I can think of, is a Moondrop Click.

Some $10 ALC5686 are nice as well (I really like Keyson, and KBEar happened to feel "meh").

CX-pro is a nice one on a brighter side, very nice with bassy single DDs.

Lastly, a picture of DACs and related items to be organized:

Is that external battery with splitter changes final product of sonic delivery from DAC dongle? If so that’s gonna be an interesting idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back