The discovery thread!
May 12, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #78,631 of 100,251

they don't even named the Balances Armature used.
Not "custom" but "carefully selected"

Yeah usually if it is a Sonion or Knowles BA, the company will trumpet it to the ends of the earth to milk the marketing. If there is no tooting of horn, it can be assumed it ain't one of these?

"Carefully" selected BA sounds very fishy for sure. I would be "careful" with my wallet in this case, cause the last time a "Custom BA" was used in a TOTL thing (cough cough Campfire Solaris), it turned out to be a Bellsing.

Haha need a Hi Fri or someone to open the shell to take a look see! Though busting open a $4.2K IEM for the sake of science is not for the faint of heart!

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #78,632 of 100,251
More energy in treble than stellaris? Okay imma gonna donate my ears now. I briefly tried Stellaris and was instantly put off by its thin and sharp signature(hardly gave it 30 mins before giving up)
Should be called "Stellasshiss" IMO - can't imagine how anyone could vibe with it (apart from the design).

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #78,634 of 100,251
I was going to compared it to that, but none have the graph of both old KZ and Bridge.
older IEMs are such a wonder,
(can't find my old daily ATH-e40, so here e70)

Funny, just last morning I was enjoying Muse Power:
20230512_075625.jpg

Colourfully bright in all senses, the same or similar 14.5 mm planar drive as in Stellaris. Actually, I was choosing between those two for a bright planar (to experience, and if anything to experiment with treble taming). Muse aesthetics won :)

Muse Power are surely bright, if not wildish in treble, and definitely hard to listen to electronically recorded music. With acoustic music - it can be a vivid enjoyment, at least for 10-15 minutes.

Muse Power do have enjoyable mighty (but fast and not drony and overspilling as in some DDs) bass compared to Hexa!

So "V-head" should be an official term for craving for a balance or mighty superposition of the bass and the treble.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #78,637 of 100,251
This might be the wrong place to ask, but does anyone have recs for super short usb-c to c cables? I'm looking for something cheap but flexible and sturdy to plug my Super X-Fi dongle into my phone.

May 12, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #78,639 of 100,251
This might be the wrong place to ask, but does anyone have recs for super short usb-c to c cables? I'm looking for something cheap but flexible and sturdy to plug my Super X-Fi dongle into my phone.
Fiio have short and decent one
But as i google, the one seems to be interesting is DDhifi usb cable

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #78,640 of 100,251
Funny, just last morning I was enjoying Muse Power:
20230512_075625.jpg
Colourfully bright in all senses, the same or similar 14.5 mm planar drive as in Stellaris. Actually, I was choosing between those two for a bright planar (to experience, and if anything to experiment with treble taming). Muse aesthetics won :)

Muse Power are surely bright, if not wildish in treble, and definitely hard to listen to electronically recorded music. With acoustic music - it can be a vivid enjoyment, at least for 10-15 minutes.

Muse Power do have enjoyable mighty (but fast and not drony and overspilling as in some DDs) bass compared to Hexa!

So "V-head" should be an official term for craving for a balance or mighty superposition of the bass and the treble.
Unfortunately i avoid bright treble iem due to my ear limitation with treble and sibilance,

I have to use final e eartip on my Aria to reduce sibilance and my PR1 pro is very much on the border of my limitation (i dont think i'll survive stellaris), hence my exitement on softer PR2

And i like my (clean-ish) textured bass slam, and center forward-ish vocals, hence my preference on more balance tuning.

May 12, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #78,641 of 100,251
Unfortunately i avoid bright treble iem due to my ear limitation with treble and sibilance,

I have to use final e eartip on my Aria to reduce sibilance and my PR1 pro is very much on the border of my limitation (i dont think i'll survive stellaris), hence my exitement on softer PR2

And i like my (clean-ish) textured bass slam, and center forward-ish vocals, hence my preference on more balance tuning.
Treble is handled admirably by the PR2....9 days in & there's no shouty / transient peaks to report, coupled with zero fatigue, discomfort or ear ringing with prolonged listening...

May 12, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #78,642 of 100,251
That price lol

Nobody will care with Quartet available now
It might seem overpriced with sets having 1 DD and costing this much, but some prefer the sound of only one DD over hybrids or BA sets. Also it's a difference in quality and tuning so some sets deserve the higher price tag.

The original Kima I liked quite much, a little boring so for me the new one seem better. Still I have enough single DD sets i am happy with.

But yeah in this case, yes I would much more take the Quartet 😁

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #78,643 of 100,251
It might seem overpriced with sets having 1 DD and costing this much, but some prefer the sound of only one DD over hybrids or BA sets. Also it's a difference in quality and tuning so some sets deserve the higher price tag.

The original Kima I liked quite much, a little boring so for me the new one seem better. Still I have enough single DD sets im found off.

But yeah in this case, yes I would much more take the Quartet 😁
Kima Classic would have to be AMAZING for me to not recommend EA500 and save $40+. Olina SE still is cheaper too. Dunu did a poor job reading the room for where prices are at, trying to stay in line with their old pricing

May 12, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #78,644 of 100,251
Kima Classic would have to be AMAZING for me to not recommend EA500 and save $40+. Olina SE still is cheaper too. Dunu did a poor job reading the room for where prices are at, trying to stay in line with their old pricing
Sales quantity doesn’t lie, sooner or later DUNU will learn they are not competitive anymore, from then reconsider competitive offering.

Agree that pricing sounds like back in 2019. DUNU’s brain is old fashioned

May 12, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #78,645 of 100,251
I never felt that the original Kima deserved the cost, never bought it. Technically it was not better than a 20-30set. Nothing very special with the tuning either, just safe and boring? But this seems to have better treble energy and sub bass, so for me could have been a fun one maybe. Still when costing this there is so much good hybrids to chose from that is close in price. And I seem to prefer BA mids and treble over DD.

Some sets like Penon FAN and VE SIE are all single DD sets and better tuned over EA500 or KIMA.
Technically the EA500 is very good, but no better than the SIE or the FAN. EA500 can be tiresome with brass instruments for me, why I never bought it myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back