The discovery thread!
May 4, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #78,121 of 106,565
WHAT A TRUE SURPRISE! Look what showed up on my porch about 30 minutes ago!

Aur Audio Aures!! Absolutely beautiful shells. They came with some of the largest olive silicones tips I've ever seen! Nice touch!

As for the OOTC sound. HOLY MOLEY! The mids!! THE MIDS!! So amazingly presented and tuned, and resolving with the guitars having the right amount of weight and bite.

The stage is addicting! Two owners of the Aure told me about the stage being special. It is. It's the kind of stage that's enveloping and surrounds you. Instruments and voices swirl about your head.

Test tracks : Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon thru iBasso DX170 :thumbsup: :L3000:

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 4, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #78,122 of 106,565
Anyone know if Bamboo Forest Bird is coming to aliexpress?

May 4, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #78,123 of 106,565
WHAT A TRUE SURPRISE! Look what showed up on my porch about 30 minutes ago!

Aur Audio Aures!! Absolutely beautiful shells. They came with some of the largest olive silicones tips I've ever seen! Nice touch!

As for the OOTC sound. HOLY MOLEY! The mids!! THE MIDS!! So amazingly presented and tuned, and resolving with the guitars having the right amount of weight and bite.

The stage is addicting! Two owners of the Aure told me about the stage being special. It is. It's the kind of stage that's enveloping and surrounds you. Instruments and voices swirl about your head.

Test tracks : Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon thru iBasso DX170 :thumbsup: :L3000:
Enjoy, the Aure is a set that just grows more and more for me. Prepare to hear trough your whole library of favorite music again 😊

While the mids is the star here, both the low end and treble is nicely tuned and in perfect harmony with the mids.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #78,125 of 106,565
My review of the Geek Wold GK100 is up.
Very pumped up technical beast....i'm very impress by ultra detailed resolution and sharp imaging. Tonal balance isn't bad for a 9 drivers tribrid, though it's not for tone-timbre lover i would say, nor for treble sensitive! My biggest gripe is about treble pass 10khz, it can be a bit spiky, but nonetheless, these might be technical performance champ under 200$.
And well, nothing sound like those.
For those worry about infamous QC issue of the older lil brother GK10, this time it's taken more seriously, as you can see with graphs published that all look similar (unlike the GK10 case).
Treble head wetdream? I think so!

Pros:
-Exceptional resolution
-well balanced bright W shape
-cohesive drivers implementation
-fast thumpy textured and well layered bass
-crisp mids with good note weight and edgy definition
-intensely revealing and detailed treble
-fast snappy energic highs
-very extended treble
-excellent imaging
-can deal with complex busy track without going muddy
-sharp definition of each instrument
-deep spatiality
-fun, exciting and analytical
-incredible technical performance
-good construction
-excellent modular cable
-high sound value

Cons:
-high pinna gain that can be fatiguing for female vocal
-not the most natural nor thickest timbre
-sub bass roll off-lack of rumble and extension down to 20hz
-compressed spatiality, feel a bit in your head
-upper treble pass 10khz can pick up hiss and noise artefact with bad recording
-bright and energic=not for treble sensitve people
-micro details can be distracting sometime (or fascinating other time)

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/geek-wold-gk100.26460/reviews#review-30723

12055497.jpg
As much as it pains me to say it, the Geek Wold I have reviewed, as well as the Geekfly, have suffered from quality control problems. The Geekfly GF8S no longer work, the GF10s I didn't get to test because some drivers didn't work. It's a pity because in sound they could have been the best TWS I had tested (well, I have little experience in this field).
The Geek Wold GK80 (with and without mic) I didn't test them either because I didn't know if all the drivers sounded and because of their polarised frequency response.
Good and daring ideas with poor quality control. Hopefully it will be solved in that model, because it is not cheap, exactly.

May 4, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #78,126 of 106,565
A little late but...
What do you guys do when you're burned out from your IEM-collecting-and-listening hobby.
Well, switch to headphones is an easy answer but not really in the spirit of the question.

As I started to learn the guitar it's easy to pick it up and just practice, I kinda need it.
Reading manga or books is also something I do a lot, but that is something I usually do while listening to music.
And my user name is not for show as I do race competition grade RC cars. Although it's more for fun as I only compete at the regional level.

Srry for the disturbance, let's continue with the ongoing convo.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #78,127 of 106,565
Slightly offtopic, Finally got myself a macro lens to click eyegasmic images of our IEMs!! Some short samples clicked right now with room tubelight only.

euclid 1 macro.jpg

Dark Sky Macro.jpg

R6 Pro 2 Macro.jpg

May 4, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #78,128 of 106,565
As much as it pains me to say it, the Geek Wold I have reviewed, as well as the Geekfly, have suffered from quality control problems. The Geekfly GF8S no longer work, the GF10s I didn't get to test because some drivers didn't work. It's a pity because in sound they could have been the best TWS I had tested (well, I have little experience in this field).
The Geek Wold GK80 (with and without mic) I didn't test them either because I didn't know if all the drivers sounded and because of their polarised frequency response.
Good and daring ideas with poor quality control. Hopefully it will be solved in that model, because it is not cheap, exactly.
Yep alas, its a reputation they bring....and its always hard to know exact life span when we just review a product, at least for now sound QC wise seem OK, cant talk for durability of all those drivers inside of GK100....
that suck that you got such bad experience...my GK10 were working good until i tear them apart cause i wanna see all these drivers and why the bass sound so strange and roll off.... :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

May 4, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #78,129 of 106,565
Is that HE400SE?
If you have amp or ample dac/amp to power it, its still among the best if not the best for the price.
---

KZ PR2 short review by EagleOwl
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-x-hbb-pr2.26461/reviews

in summary
KZ PR2
4 out of 5 star
Pros:

Fast and Clean Planar Bass, no distortion
Clean and Clear Mid Vocal, natural and organic
Treble details, imaging and micro details and instrument separation are adequate
Affordable price point to performance

Cons:
Lack a bit of airiness and top end spaciousness [as compared]

---
His older KZ PR1Pro review
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-pr1-pro-planar-iem.26179/reviews#review-29586

KZ PR1 Pro
3.5 out of 5 star

Pros:

Good thumpy and slamming bass
Fast transient speed on planar driver
Budgetly priced compared to competitors
Cons:
Midbass bleed occur, clarity and resolution is slightly affected
Dip in 7K region, certain micro details are slightly affected

For EagleOwl, who seems to be mild treblehead with focus on clarity,
KZ PR2 is an decent improvement over KZ PR1 Pro.
reduction in mild bass bleed and more linear treble response seems to help the clarity.

Also Graph by EagleOwl~
344827082_549921103925341_5360718152130806728_n.jpg

344565545_1292681728353031_1611848657947534888_n.jpg

344738727_1205509636821741_2281740791080418650_n.jpg

What seems to be the rumored plastic shell and box content (the old silver cable not the PR1 Pro cable)
1683210009956.png
344552020_198843216326697_4411387695498731925_n.jpg

Wow so looks to graph the same as the other sets! Great QC by KZ!

I'm thinking some EQ like this should go nicely 🙂👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230504-180624.png
    Screenshot_20230504-180624.png
    282.5 KB · Views: 0
May 4, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #78,130 of 106,565
About the amplification. Well brother in law is sending it to me and he insists my desktop (which is also a gift from him I may add) should be capable of powering them.

Before you ask. I have absolutely zero intention of using it on my cellphone. It's meant for home usage only. The BLON BL-03 is the one meant for use on the go.

If all else fails maybe I can repurpose an old receiver into such. I don't know why the formation center I used to study and to some extent work at keeps them just collecting dust.

I do have a bit of a odd background regarding these. I remember reading about headphone driver types somewhere in april 2013 and inevitably I stumbled upon the original HE400 as the example of a planar magnetic headphone. I found the technology fascinating, but ultimately I was completely turned off by the price tag of $400 back then.

Now it seems it all came full circle for me, and now regardless of whether is moving coil or planar magnetic, I simply appreciate what they offer for barely over $100 now.

The other consideration was the SRH440 but we were ultimately turned off by the stories of headbands snapping in half like twigs. I think the HE400se is a bit less bright than the SRH440 so I'd probably appreciate that.

No comment on their sound however. It's gonna be 3 more weeks or so before my sister returns to the place she used to call home with them. So the headphones are only at their halfway point.

Given how much they've gone down in price at this point I wonder if the HE400se is for headphones what the PR2 is for IEMs. Planar magnetic for the masses.
My he400i 2020 is the easier to drive out of the bunch (HE400-series) but at 80 mw (btr5 single ended) you need to max it out to have audible volume. I use balanced cable for my headphone and it have enough juice to have decent volume.

He400se is suppose to be closer to he4xx in terms of drivability, and he4xx barely make any sound with 80 mw from my btr5.

Not sure how much is desktop power output.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #78,131 of 106,565
Thank you to @Leonarfd , @ChrisOc , and @AmericanSpirit for steering me towards the Aur Audio brand. I've now had them in my ear for what combined amounts to an hour (i'm at work), but for the 45 minutes before work and the 15 minutes during lunch, I'm absolutely amazed by the Aure. Now for comments and perceptions in their totality, i'll leave that to some more ear time and burn in, but as for certain details that jump out early on...Aur have a skill that will serve them well in continued success in this industry, and it comes down to they know how to tune a BA so it doesn't have that BA timbre. So when I A/B with the Orchestra Lite, you get a sensation that the BA is more like an EST or a dynamic than a BA with the Aure, versus the OL, which not too bad, still responds with BA timbre in the highs and mids. Next....musicality! We all discussed the whole musicality thing a few pages back. So we have a well tuned IEM that has BA precision without the plasticky BA timbre, with excellent musicality, enveloping soundstage, with above average RESOLUTION. The resolution on the Aure is actually superior to the IE600 and the SR5. More thoughts forethcoming...

May 4, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #78,132 of 106,565
IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2797.jpeg

Simgot EW100P is in the house. It sounds like its graph. Midrange-focused tonality. Pristine midrange. Bass is below ear-gain, thus quite light in quantity and unremarkable in quality. Note attacks are not tack sharp but not annoyingly blunt. The soundstage is very wide, easily extends beyond the shells, but lacks depth. Therefore, the whole presentation is like an ultra-wide screen. In summary, it sounds like an affordable single DD version of Blessing 3.

$20, btw. Fully plastic build. No gimmicky tuning switch or nozzles. Small ear pieces. Quant looking, yet surprisingly easy to handle cable.

Edit: I can see great potential here. Will try to do a full review in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #78,133 of 106,565
Thank you to @Leonarfd , @ChrisOc , and @AmericanSpirit for steering me towards the Aur Audio brand. I've now had them in my ear for what combined amounts to an hour (i'm at work), but for the 45 minutes before work and the 15 minutes during lunch, I'm absolutely amazed by the Aure. Now for comments and perceptions in their totality, i'll leave that to some more ear time and burn in, but as for certain details that jump out early on...Aur have a skill that will serve them well in continued success in this industry, and it comes down to they know how to tune a BA so it doesn't have that BA timbre. So when I A/B with the Orchestra Lite, you get a sensation that the BA is more like an EST or a dynamic than a BA with the Aure, versus the OL, which not too bad, still responds with BA timbre in the highs and mids. Next....musicality! We all discussed the whole musicality thing a few pages back. So we have a well tuned IEM that has BA precision without the plasticky BA timbre, with excellent musicality, enveloping soundstage, with above average RESOLUTION. The resolution on the Aure is actually superior to the IE600 and the SR5. More thoughts forethcoming...
There you go! One of lucky guy who got the last niche of Aure😆

Welcome to AuR Audio✨

May 5, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #78,134 of 106,565
So I settled after some rolling on the Letshuoer Chimera cable along with JVC spiral dots. I think the dots are the natural landing spot for the Aure. Brings up and tightens the bass, gives a little focus to the treble, and doesn't really affect the already stellar mids, so really a perfect synergy with the tips. The holographic stage encapsulated with the wide bore. These will most certainly go toe to toe and fist to fist with the IE600 for my favorite IEM.

What they did do is make my Sound Rhyme SR5 redundant. They are similar to the SR5 in many ways, except the treble is a tad more extended and with better resolution (I prefer the SR5 bass). Because of this, I'm leaning towards selling the SR5 and the Orchestra Lite. Maybe I'll take bids on them as a combined lot?

May 5, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #78,135 of 106,565
Top 3 favorite IEM's as of 05/04/2023 :

1. Sennheiser IE600
2. Aur Audio Aure
3. TangZu Wu Zetian

Everything else is a step below and my current favorite top 3 budget IEMs :

1. Zero Audio Tenore
2. KZ Ling Long
3. UE600/Kiwi Ears Cadenza

Users who are viewing this thread

Back