The discovery thread!
Apr 19, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #76,726 of 106,825

Hidizs MS5 - First Impressions​

hidizsMS52_bryaudioreviews.png

Just received the Hidizs MS5. Here are my first impressions. Hidizs MS5 is Hidizs latest Hybrid IEM, coming in at a pre-sale price of $3XX usd. It sports a single LCP dynamic driver + 4 Sonion BA Drivers. It comes with 3 different type of eartips (balanced, treble, bass). I've tested them all and the Balanced eartips sounded the best to me, so the entire first impressions below will be done based off of that.

In terms of sound signature, I would describe it to be "Warm U-shaped". Overall tuning here is quite balanced. In terms of sonic presentation, Bass, Mids, and Treble sounds slightly forward in the stage while vocals take a step back.

As a whole, I have no issues with the tuning here. However, I would prefer a bit more upper mids as I prefer my vocals a bit more forward. Also, this kind of "warm U-shaped" tuning is kind of like a double-edged sword. Yes, they are overall quite "balanced" and will work with a wide variety of genres, but they also sound "flat" in a way - which makes the MS5 sound quite undynamic.

There are 3 tuning nozzles that come with the MS5 - Bass, treble, and standard. FR measurements do not show many differences, but to my ears, the differences are noticeable - albeit nothing major.
1. Bass nozzle:
Bass makes midrange sounds slightly fuller and treble slightly darker. Vocals sound thicker too but also can be a bit honky - especially male vocals.

2. Treble nozzle:
Treble makes midrange sounds slightly thinner and treble a bit brighter. Vocals sound more forward and open. However, the treble can come off as a bit harsh with this nozzle on.

3. Standard nozzle:
The best of both worlds. A great balance between the Bass nozzle and the Treble nozzle. This is my favourite tuning out of the 3. Bass and mids are full sounding yet not overly thick, treble is smooth overall whilst still sounding lively, and vocals sound just about right.

Inspecting deeper into the nozzle to see what's the difference (other than the colour), you can clearly see what Hidizs did to tune the MS5 differently (pictures below). The "bass" nozzle has a higher density foam in it, the "standard" nozzle has a lesser density foam in it, while the "treble" nozzle has no foam at all.

MS5 Bass.JPGMS5 Standard.JPGMS5 Treble.JPG

The higher-density foam of the Bass nozzle is probably what darkens the treble a bit and adds more warmth to the bass/mids. While as for the treble nozzle, the lack of any type of tuning foam is probably what makes the midrange and treble sounds thin and harsh. Full review coming soon. Feel free to check out my squig to look at the measurements yourself. I have measured all 3 different tuning nozzles, and to test out the 5.3 Ohm impedance of the MS5, I've also done measurements using sources with OI <1 Ohm, <2 Ohm, and a source with high OI impedance.

https://bryaudioreviews.squig.link

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #76,729 of 106,825

Hidizs MS5 - First Impressions​

hidizsMS52_bryaudioreviews.png

Just received the Hidizs MS5. Here are my first impressions. Hidizs MS5 is Hidizs latest Hybrid IEM, coming in at a pre-sale price of $3XX usd. It sports a single LCP dynamic driver + 4 Sonion BA Drivers. It comes with 3 different type of eartips (balanced, treble, bass). I've tested them all and the Balanced eartips sounded the best to me, so the entire first impressions below will be done based off of that.

In terms of sound signature, I would describe it to be "Warm U-shaped". Overall tuning here is quite balanced. In terms of sonic presentation, Bass, Mids, and Treble sounds slightly forward in the stage while vocals take a step back.

As a whole, I have no issues with the tuning here. However, I would prefer a bit more upper mids as I prefer my vocals a bit more forward. Also, this kind of "warm U-shaped" tuning is kind of like a double-edged sword. Yes, they are overall quite "balanced" and will work with a wide variety of genres, but they also sound "flat" in a way - which makes the MS5 sound quite undynamic.

There are 3 tuning nozzles that come with the MS5 - Bass, treble, and standard. FR measurements do not show many differences, but to my ears, the differences are noticeable - albeit nothing major.
1. Bass nozzle:
Bass makes midrange sounds slightly fuller and treble slightly darker. Vocals sound thicker too but also can be a bit honky - especially male vocals.

2. Treble nozzle:
Treble makes midrange sounds slightly thinner and treble a bit brighter. Vocals sound more forward and open. However, the treble can come off as a bit harsh with this nozzle on.

3. Standard nozzle:
The best of both worlds. A great balance between the Bass nozzle and the Treble nozzle. This is my favourite tuning out of the 3. Bass and mids are full sounding yet not overly thick, treble is smooth overall whilst still sounding lively, and vocals sound just about right.

Inspecting deeper into the nozzle to see what's the difference (other than the colour), you can clearly see what Hidizs did to tune the MS5 differently (pictures below). The "bass" nozzle has a higher density foam in it, the "standard" nozzle has a lesser density foam in it, while the "treble" nozzle has no foam at all.

MS5 Bass.JPGMS5 Standard.JPGMS5 Treble.JPG

The higher-density foam of the Bass nozzle is probably what darkens the treble a bit and adds more warmth to the bass/mids. While as for the treble nozzle, the lack of any type of tuning foam is probably what makes the midrange and treble sounds thin and harsh. Full review coming soon. Feel free to check out my squig to look at the measurements yourself. I have measured all 3 different tuning nozzles, and to test out the 5.3 Ohm impedance of the MS5, I've also done measurements using sources with OI <1 Ohm, <2 Ohm, and a source with high OI impedance.

https://bryaudioreviews.squig.link
I’m surprised that the FR is so stable even with that low impedance. It’s a great idea of you to test that aspect.

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #76,730 of 106,825
Got my first "Whizzers" today (a personal curiosity-driven acquisition):
20230418_200402.jpg
A DAC (DA1) and ET100 tips.

Tips purchase was inspired by TRI Clarion that were really so much transforming for me due to their nozzle sealing conical shape. Whizzer tips were presumably made prior to Clarion, so the reason to get them. Regrettably, they are smaller than TRI and my best fitting tips are large - 13.5 mm and larger.
So Whizzer tips feel more treble enhancing (likely due to a less if a seal). So they can be recommended for consideration if you are happy with small or medium TRI, or other tips

The DAC (DA1) has quite rare ESS 9270 chip with ADC - so a really great deal for about $30 - somewhat on a warmer side in rendering, but nice and competent at the first 30-min impression. Volume switches work greatly (unlike bastardly Shio). So if you feel cables make a difference to you - consider trying few different DACs - for much more of a great difference!
I ordered the Cube DAC right away with the Discovery sale and will be happy to compare :wink:
I want to order TRI Clarion for my Olina SE, I have 7Hz yellow (or kbear 07, it came with Salnotes zero for free) but it's a little bit loose in my ears. Can you please confirm if TRI Clarion LARGE TIPS have 14mm outer diameter (if you have Large ones)? Description says 14mm but someone on Aliexpress said it's 13mm. Thanks

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #76,731 of 106,825

Attachments

• graph_-_2023-04-07T122825.367.png
    graph_-_2023-04-07T122825.367.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #76,732 of 106,825
Apr 19, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #76,733 of 106,825
Hifri have his eyes on this set, and now Akros have reviewed it
CVJ Mei, a 1DD+1 knowles BA + 1 cvj custom BA IEM with tuning switch that can turn each driver on and off

---

They are very good nonaffiliated independent auditors of IEM releases👍

They exist so those trying to fake their customers will pay the price.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #76,734 of 106,825
I want to order TRI Clarion for my Olina SE, I have 7Hz yellow (or kbear 07, it came with Salnotes zero for free) but it's a little bit loose in my ears. Can you please confirm if TRI Clarion LARGE TIPS have 14mm outer diameter (if you have Large ones)? Description says 14mm but someone on Aliexpress said it's 13mm. Thanks
14 mm to me, see below with two other tips for comparison:
20230419_075724.jpg

Left to right are: Clarion L (ca. 14 mm), Whizzer L (ca. 13.5 mm, and Moondrop Spring (ca. 14.5-15 mm). The tips are deformable, especially the Spring to measure very precisely. (I have a caliper.)
I can simply confirm that I often use 15 mm, tips and Clarion L fits nicely Springs fit well too, but they are more sticky, and I use them only for narrow-nozzle IEMs (smaller than 4 mm), where Clarion does not fit.

Again, I found Clarion really a little miracle for my quite large ears but with fairly narrow and totally resisting any deep penetration ear channels.
For the Clarion sound, as wide-bore tips, I would not say they bring everything vividly rather than selectively enhance or attenuate, as many Spinfits. I have 3 or 4 different Spinfits, and they did nit work for me. Even when the sound was right, the sensitivity to the insertion depth was a problem, that is perhaps helpful to "hear cables", but I strongly prefer to exclude such variations and concentrate on the IEM and the source matching/synergy.
Clarion is really great for such goals.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #76,735 of 106,825
They are very good nonaffiliated independent auditors of IEM releases👍

They exist so those trying to fake their customers will pay the price.
I love the fact that Hifri is making waves in chifi community.
And love the fact that the he is the one getting famous for dissection.
He is more of a "driver" reviewer than IEM reviewer and is a avid IEM DIYers, so to a degree, he knows his stuff.
because some others try to do the same but didn't have the insight and only can make half baked claims.

Hifri is well known enough that HBB actually mention him by names during his Z300 intro and goes "well, someone gonna dissect it. Might as well to show the inside. Here's the driver"

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #76,736 of 106,825
20230419_075724.jpg
Left to right are: Clarion L (ca. 14 mm), Whizzer L (ca. 13.5 mm, and Moondrop Spring (ca. 14.5-15 mm). The tips are deformable, especially the Spring to measure very precisely. (I have a caliper.)
I can simply confirm that I often use 15 mm, tips and Clarion L fits nicely Springs fit well too, but they are more sticky, and I use them only for narrow-nozzle IEMs (smaller than 4 mm), where Clarion does not fit.

Again, I found Clarion really a little miracle for my quite large ears but with fairly narrow and totally resisting any deep penetration ear channels.
For the Clarion sound, as wide-bore tips, I would not say they bring everything vividly rather than selectively enhance or attenuate, as many Spinfits. I have 3 or 4 different Spinfits, and they did nit work for me. Even when the sound was right, the sensitivity to the insertion depth was a problem, that is perhaps helpful to "hear cables", but I strongly prefer to exclude such variations and concentrate on the IEM and the source matching/synergy.
Thank you so much for detailed reply and scale measurements.
I have a weird issue, my left ear canal is a tiny bit narrow than the right one. Eartip fits well in my left ear.
But I think TRI Clarion L will be fine for me and I can order just one Large pair from Aliexpress for $2.99, don't have this option with Springs tips ($13) but I think spring tips will be too large.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #76,737 of 106,825

Its unfortunate for you because few ~high end~ tips are larger than 14mm/XL in size. Proper sealed Whizzers is the best wide bore bass (while I do not own a Feaulle yet). Tone is not as sibilant as Clarions, but also nice. Expand the soundstage but dont sound harsh.

What I'm truly in love, actually, is with MS42. It is a more intimate presentation, but its a very very pleasant sound

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #76,738 of 106,825
I’m surprised that the FR is so stable even with that low impedance. It’s a great idea of you to test that aspect.
Yeah, I was surprised too. I was expecting the Hidizs MS5 to be very prone to hiss since it is very low in impedance. However, that wasn't the case. The only time I can get it to hiss was by plugging it directly into my soundcard. However, that's the fault of the soundcard because other IEMs will hiss too.

The MS5 is extremely easy to drive and doesn't really scale at all with sources. No point investing in any sources if all you have is the MS5 (unless you can).

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #76,739 of 106,825
I bought them some time ago and also donated them right away. I was expecting the promised 14mm, but unfortunately... Since I don't have them anymore, I can't measure them, but those 13mm might be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back