The discovery thread!
Apr 13, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #76,306 of 103,563
The smaller the moving parts are (as is the case with BAs, especially treble ones) - the more capillary condensation of water can be the case, and a potential problem. The condensation between the moving surfaces will naturally dampen the motion.
Dessicants, like silica, can alleviate condensation by decreasing humidity.

Some problem/uncertainty with the original statement is that the extent of the correlation is not clear.

For instance, for already overdampened Sonion BAs, humidity can totally overdampen and be quite bad.
While for cheerful bright bellsings, some dampening may happen to be not so bad thing for a smoother sound.

(Sorry for sounding boring, a long day...)
Wow thanks! That’s the exact technical insight I was hoping to see👏

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #76,307 of 103,563
In regards to DD, yea partially agree.
There are numerous varieties of DD, including LCP PU DLC CNT various metal coated ones.

But if you take it to generalization,

Dynamic Bass: High in Energy, Low in Texturing, Medium in Organic feeling
Planar Bass: Medium in Energy, Medium in Texturing, High in Organic Feeling
BA Bass: Low in Energy, High In Texturing, Low in Organic Feeling.

I personally find BA Bass to be the poorest, even and especially in terms of details. They tend to have snappy attack without substantial decay (some use the unflattering term “BA fart”). In other words, they generally sound like “Poof”.

Because of short decay, they sound “fast” and can catch up with fast bass lines. However, they already fail to convey infos at the tail end of bass notes. Some unusual BA configurations (U6t and U12t) can increase the sensitivity of the woofers somehow to reveal the decay end, so they can genuinely draw more details out of the bass than mediocre DD. But they don’t have that strong “slam” sensation of high end DD.

Good DD can effortlessly have clear attack, long enough decay, and full of texture. Not easy to come across good DD though. When I have to choose, I rather have decent BA woofers than mediocre DD.

Planar is interesting. A fellow bass head once told me that my modded S12 slams like DD but responds quickly like BA. I don’t agree with the slam, but I think it’s quite speedy in terms of decay, without going to the extreme like BAs.

Full sized planar drivers on headphones slap, though.

(Sorry for sounding boring, a long day...)

Take care, mate!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #76,308 of 103,563
Planar is interesting. A fellow bass head once told me that my modded S12 slams like DD but responds quickly like BA. I don’t agree with the slam, but I think it’s quite speedy in terms of decay, without going to the extreme like BAs.

Full sized planar drivers on headphones slap, though.
You're right, Planar is pretty much depend on person, i always think timbre of planar is quite natural somehow, but it's not. Full sized planar is just a different beast, solid bass to treble, soundstage, imaging, detail is top notch, i don't think i need a planar iem after trying planar headphones

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #76,309 of 103,563
The 2 pin hole was damaged on my TangZu Wu Zetian, so the left ear stopped working. Now I have no planar IEMs left in my collection. Quite sad about this, because with the Blackcat and those Spinfit tips, they sounded absolutely gorgeous. I'm sad, and now torn if I'll replace them?

Bro the Shuoer S12 Pro is frequently on discount, and goes at around $90ish. V shaped with good technicalities, fast transients. Thinner note weight than Wu Zetian, but more technical. A bit bright though.

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #76,310 of 103,563
Bro the Shuoer S12 Pro is frequently on discount, and goes at around $90ish. V shaped with good technicalities, fast transients. Thinner note weight than Wu Zetian, but more technical. A bit bright though.

Seconded. The S12 is a bargain at that price, especially the so-called Pro version. It’s the same set as the original only with better shell color and a modular cable.

Apr 13, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #76,311 of 103,563
Apr 13, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #76,312 of 103,563
the best model of Audiosence, better than T800, dt300 and more
Ahhh great to hear that, I only have AQ4 and this DT200. And I like DT200 the most despite it’s only being a 2BA, it sounds astonishing🙌
Thx for the input!

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #76,313 of 103,563
Seconded. The S12 is a bargain at that price, especially the so-called Pro version. It’s the same set as the original only with better shell color and a modular cable.
Thirded (is that a word?).

S12 can be easily modded with a roll of micropore tape, should the midbass or shouty upper mid get annoying.

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #76,314 of 103,563
I guess Moondrop really nailed Blessing 3’s tuning.

The imaging is much more holographic and all weaknesses of Blessing 2 is no where to be found.

They’ve perfected “Moondrop”.

I may need to consider B3 in trading neck-to-neck blows with S- DUNU SA6.

Apr 14, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #76,315 of 103,563
I fixed my first IEM since the OG NX7. I managed to quite easily, with a razor blade, open up the shell and fix the 2 pin connector, and glue it back shut. It worked! So I have my Wu Zetian's working again, and sounding great. I had the Heyday and the S12 in the cart, but now I can save it. My wife would have only been so understanding, so it also saved me grief. LOL

Apr 14, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #76,316 of 103,563
I fixed my first IEM since the OG NX7. I managed to quite easily, with a razor blade, open up the shell and fix the 2 pin connector, and glue it back shut. It worked! So I have my Wu Zetian's working again, and sounding great. I had the Heyday and the S12 in the cart, but now I can save it. My wife would have only been so understanding, so it also saved me grief. LOL
Thank god you save your promised!
So I asked my wife if I could use some of that money to purchase these, but I had to promise that I would not buy anymore headphones/IEMs/DAPS until Christmas at the earliest, since she was going to get these for me as a Christmas present). So once these hit my porch next week, I will be out of the game for awhile, as I plan to keep my promise to my spouse.

Apr 14, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #76,317 of 103,563
Sure why not? :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings:

Screenshot 2023-04-14 022359.png

This is the last budget IEM I'm getting and the last IEM until around November which is to wrap up the hobby with endgame purchases.

First planar for me, I'm hoping this isn't another hype train, graph looks excellent though we all know FRs don't show everything.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #76,319 of 103,563
Apr 14, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #76,320 of 103,563
This is the last budget IEM I'm getting and the last IEM until around November which is to wrap up the hobby with endgame purchases.

Bro, in this deadly hobby, there is only "PAUSE GAME".

END GAME is a myth! See you back here next week =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back