The discovery thread!
Mar 21, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #74,701 of 106,699
LZ A7 on sale for under $200. This is such a wild deal, I'm going to probably jump on it, even though I once owned this set and sold it (sadly to raise money for the Mofasest Trio, which turned out to be phooey to my ears).

LZ A7

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #74,702 of 106,699
Glad to have @s2kphile verified SR5 is a thing😄👍
@AmericanSpirit I also got the SR5 and while the sound is good, they are a bit big in my ears and are a little uncomfortable. What would you recommend instead around this price? How is the fit/size comparison of the SeeAudio Bravery AE Limited Edition.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #74,703 of 106,699
Mar 21, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #74,704 of 106,699
If @s2kphile says they are up there with the Gaea, and I trust his ears, and they back up @AmericanSpirit 's initial recc and ears, then these are indeed special, and a hidden gem in the oversaturated world if IEMs. Makes you wonder what else fell through the cracks and was worthy but didn't get any attention?

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #74,705 of 106,699
Glad to have @s2kphile verified SR5 is a thing😄👍
It is a thing 😀
@AmericanSpirit I also got the SR5 and while the sound is good, they are a bit big in my ears and are a little uncomfortable. What would you recommend instead around this price? How is the fit/size comparison of the SeeAudio Bravery AE Limited Edition.
Have you tried Eartip rolling? Different eartips and sizes? Sr05 fits better in my ears than the GAEA. And the SeeAudio Bravery is small than the SR05 but is 4BA vs SR05 4BA+1DD.

@AmericanSpirit is our SR hero! Let the floodgates open for this IEM!
@AmericanSpirit took the leap of faith and has graced us with a GEM worthy of being in the "Discovery" thread.

SR05 👍🏽 | GAEA 👎🏽

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #74,706 of 106,699
Ah, fit issue is very sad
It is a thing 😀

Have you tried Eartip rolling? Different eartips and sizes? Sr05 fits better in my ears than the GAEA. And the SeeAudio Bravery is small than the SR05 but is 4BA vs SR05 4BA+1DD.

@AmericanSpirit took the leap of faith and has graced us with a GEM worthy of being in the "Discovery" thread.

SR05 👍🏽 | GAEA 👎🏽
as @s2kphile suggested, If you haven’t tried SpinFit W1, or Feaulle Latex H570 yet, those two ear tips can solve many fit issues, I have a fit issue with DUNU SA6 myself and those ear tips are good lifesavers.

Unfortunately I don’t have Bravery AE, but as far as I know See Audio have improved the fit of Bravery OG on AE, the shell is smaller.

Bravery AE is brighter IEM than OG, of which the OG already hit my borderline bright, so if you are treble sensitive, and found SR5‘s treble just fine, there is a high chance that you may find Bravery AE’s stock tuning a bit north of your taste.

You may consider NiceHCK BlackSoul to tone down some brightness of AE, it costs $31.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #74,707 of 106,699
It is a thing 😀

SR05 👍🏽 | GAEA 👎🏽
Yeah I've rolled ear tips, its just the physical size of the shell itself. I'm gunna try them for a couple days, see if my ear stretches and get used to them haha, but may be looking for something smaller. And yeah I know only BA no DD but smaller size, I'm gunna have to sacrifice somewhere. @AmericanSpirit and thanks for the info, yeah don't think I'd want something brighter than sr5.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #74,708 of 106,699
If @s2kphile says they are up there with the Gaea, and I trust his ears, and they back up @AmericanSpirit 's initial recc and ears, then these are indeed special, and a hidden gem in the oversaturated world if IEMs. Makes you wonder what else fell through the cracks and was worthy but didn't get any attention?
It was so sketchy at the beginning, no proper english product info, and all they’ve mentioned on store is “Lou’s 5unit hybrid”
where no western reviewer ever approached with review requests. It is one of hidden gem, but those obscure IEMs are mix of gems/landmines😅 Only extremely odd ball lover like me would ever want to put a bet on that.

I’ve failed that gamble on GS Audio ST10 despite “nah the FR looks awful” comment, I’ve bet on “their measurements aren’t done properly“ and lost.

For SR5, the raw measurements also looks scary, but if you put them on the same scale of regular FR we see on daily basis, I’m sure SR5 would have pretty decent one. It’s another gambling bet, and this time it was a jackpot😄

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #74,709 of 106,699
It is a thing 😀

SR05 👍🏽 | GAEA 👎🏽
When I see Gaea bad in the post without looking at user name, I immediate think of you. Lo and behold, it’s you :dt880smile:

So some one in China does 4+1 topology better than Lee at Elysian Acoustic Lab. He would have some serious thinking to do. I don’t think you can graph the SR5, right? So curious to see how it graphs.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #74,710 of 106,699
It was so sketchy at the beginning, no proper english product info, and all they’ve mentioned on store is “Lou’s 5unit hybrid”
where no western reviewer ever approached with review requests. It is one of hidden gem, but those obscure IEMs are mix of gems/landmines😅 Only extremely odd ball lover like me would ever want to put a bet on that.

I’ve failed that gamble on GS Audio ST10 despite “nah the FR looks awful” comment, I’ve bet on “their measurements aren’t done properly“ and lost.

For SR5, the raw measurements also looks scary, but if you put them on the same scale of regular FR we see on daily basis, I’m sure SR5 would have pretty decent one. It’s another gambling bet, and this time it was a jackpot😄

It sounds like your tastes are similar to mine and SR5 falls within my budget (unlike the TOTL options). Penon stocking the SR5 is a bonus too, I try to avoid small unfamiliar dealers on AE. Waiting for the Summer sale at the end of June as lead contender for this years birthday present!:L3000:

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #74,711 of 106,699
When I see Gaea bad in the post without looking at user name, I immediate think of you. Lo and behold, it’s you :dt880smile:

So some one in China does 4+1 topology better than Lee at Elysian Acoustic Lab. He would have some serious thinking to do. I don’t think you can graph the SR5, right? So curious.
I think the borderline bright Gaea is very divisive IEM, as we all know the tuning comes first in this audio world more than technical aspect. It is understandable that SR5 can fly at the same level of Gaea despite 10% of the asking price.

As I also see SR5 being better tuned “colored” IEM among others. I think HBB group would have better perception than Crin group, as mid-bass quantity maybe north of Crin group’s “mid-bass hater” line. However, the analytical performance of SR5 is actually very satisfying, so even within Crin’s group, I can see some would be loving SR5’s tuning. It’s not V-shape, it’s a unique W-shape.

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #74,712 of 106,699
I think the borderline bright Gaea is very divisive IEM, as we all know the tuning comes first in this audio world more than technical aspect. It is understandable that SR5 can fly at the same level of Gaea despite 10% of the asking price.

As I also see SR5 being better tuned “colored” IEM among others. I think HBB group would have better perception than Crin group, as mid-bass quantity maybe north of Crin group’s “mid-bass hater” line. However, the analytical performance of SR5 is actually very satisfying, so even within Crin’s group, I can see some would be loving SR5’s tuning. It’s not V-shape, it’s a unique W-shape.

these moments are when I wish you are “Australian”Spirit the most, so I can get my mitts on those SR5 to measure. Measurebator needs his graph :dt880smile:

I kind of disagree about SR5 can fly with Gaea because of the tuning. I imagine SR5 technical performance must be quite high. After all, one wouldn’t put, say, Kiwiears cadenzas in the same bracket as Gaea. One would say “tuning is pleasant, but tech is not in the same bracket” It seems you have uncovered a true gem.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #74,713 of 106,699
Agree on this,

My take on Technicality generally can be divided into
▶︎Resolving Capability
▶︎Imaging (Focus, Geo-location : positioning and image dynamism = motion-articulation)
▶︎Diffusion Field (Size, grid conformity)
▶︎Timbral Accuracy (Transient Response)

And almost all of those has somewhat FR x HRTF dependencies, so one particular sound could translated on different scale on others if they have different perceptions.

Yet, especially for Resolving capabilities, and Diffusion Field size (crossfeed and reverb, internal echo handling, as well as FR tweaks) does have small amount of absolute and exclusive region, that almost all audiences could unanimously tell A has better resolution over B (Taking example of Monarch vs Aria).
I like this technicalities list. Though I have heard it mentioned (only maybe a guess on the presenters part) that transient response actually has (more) a direct relationship to imaging, and not timbre.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #74,714 of 106,699
these moments are when I wish you are “Australian”Spirit the most, so I can get my mitts on those SR5 to measure. Measurebator needs his graph :dt880smile:

I kind of disagree about SR5 can fly with Gaea because of the tuning. I imagine SR5 technical performance must be quite high. After all, one wouldn’t put, say, Kiwiears cadenzas in the same bracket as Gaea. One would say “tuning is pleasant, but tech is not in the same bracket” It seems you have uncovered a true gem.
The Cadenza is a very decent set. Same with the Star River, but when I A/B even with the Shangri-La's or the IE800, they find their proper place in line, but for casual listening and on the go, they are fantastic IEM's for what you pay.

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #74,715 of 106,699
Man, I’m having a very hard time with the Star River. I want to love them, I really do. I think they look the business and they’re very very comfortable. But I can’t seem to get the right sound out or them in the 1-0 setting. I’m going to continue to tip and cable roll, I’m hoping to find that “there it is” moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back