The discovery thread!
Feb 19, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #72,871 of 100,641
Alright here's my 500 headfier comment.
-7hz Dioko
graph.png

Love the set, honestly, Dioko is the first planar i heard. After quite a while a/b the 3 planars that i have right now, i still think Dioko remain the one that i like the most, mainly it's refrence tuning and accurate cymbal strike. Bass does an okay job, not outstanding nor goood enough to enjoy, quite detail but lack slam, lack rumble. Mid is correct with a good amount of detail, sounds alright. Vocals sound rough and cold (because of treble) but if i ignore them, organic. Treble sounds sizzing instead of sparkly, roll off treble, it squeeze a tons of detail but it sound rather rough and unfinised. Soundstage is intimate, more like studio room than a hall. Positioning and staging is foward and spread out to the side with about head level height, there's a wall of sound and you can hear it.
Bass: 4/10 (lack, lack, lack, wish have more bass)
Mid: 7/10 (organic, position/ separation is on point)
Vocal: 5.5/10 (sizzing, slight uncomfort with female vocals)
Treble: 7/10 (detail, well pronounced)
Detail: 7.5/10 (yeah it's planar)
Soundstage: 3/10 (studio soundstage)
Imaging: 7/10 (precise)
Bias: 5.5/10 (refrence tuning)
Overall (E to S): B+
For someone who like an intimate experience, safely tune with good amount detail retrieval. Sound like someone try to EQ a studio monitor.
-7hz Timeless
graph (1).png

Gorgeous sound, a clear winner for any asians that like heap of bass and clarity on top of that. If you aren't asians you will need much more bass than that to actually enjoy it to the fullest. Bass wise, speedy (as most of planar), not as detail as i thought it would be, good slam, rumble WITH A RIGHT AMP. Mid is .. neutral... it sound like what a neutral iem should be, okayish detail, not the most well separated mid range. Vocals is neutral, fabulous, male vocals isn't as good as female vocals. Treble is smooth, it natural, the air is sufficient. There isn't anything that i can criticize on this set, just simply good, maybe the detail isn't as good as i thought? Resolving power.. fantastic. This is one of the few iem where it does everything good but i can feel "it could do much better than that" type of iem. Soundstage is small room type (think about 6x6x2.5m room, about 20x20x8ft). Staging is in the middle then spread out to the side then go foward. with moderate height
Bass: 6.5/10 (good)
Mid: 6/10 (good, that's it)
Vocal: 7/10 (More clarity would be welcome but okay for now)
Treble: 7.5/10 (well resolving, slightly laidback in cymbal)
Detail: 7/10
Soundstage: 4.5/10 (small room soundstage)
Imaging: 3/10 (almost zero imaging)
Bias: 7.5/10 (balanced neutral, maybe V tuning)
Overall (E to S): A
Definitely a unique and real good set, could be one and done for someone
-Raptgo HookX
graph (2).png

Well it's good. that's it. If you want more context, easier tuning version of Timeless, same as Timeless but more V, make it U shape. Imaging is better, soundstage is even more spread out (semi open-back), with a cost of treble clarity. it's good but you not gonna like this asians.
Bass:7.5/10 (decent slam/rumble despite being semi open)
Mid: 6/10 (okay)
Vocal: 6/10 (also okay)
Treble: 7.5/10 (cymbal being more decisive)
Soundstage: 5/10 (horizontal hall like soundstage)
Imaging: 4.5/10 (okayish imaging)
Bias: 6.5/10 (U shape tuning)
West version of Timeless, not the most resolving but do the job really well. definitely a stepping stone to go to TOTL iem.
-IMR ACE
graph (4).png

Imersive, merging with the song type of experience, fat sounding with moderate to slightly muted treble. Smooth and easy listening. Everything sounds detail except mid and treble, which is almost everything. Positioning place close to the end of the room, there's still some space behind.
Bass: 6.5/10 (big bass which bleed to mid, okay but not really detail)
Mid: 4/10 (lack clarity on top)
Vocal: 6.5/10 (foward sounding, hefty feeling with female vocals)
Treble: 5/10 (you can hear a slight air and that's it, smooth and easy to listen to)
Detail: 4/10 (well)
Soundstage: 6.5/10 (Hall like soundstage which extend greatly to the front, fun positioning)
Imaging: 4/10 (good imaging for gaming, bad imaging for instrument)
Bias: 4.5/10 (Lshape tuning, not really my type)
Overall (E to S): C+
I feel like some will like this approach, not me.
-TinHifi T2
graph (5).png

I finally get a chance to try this and i think it is still worth it! Refrence tuning/unique sound signature, good amount of detail, good imaging and staging. I definitely enjoy this more than i should, mainly because of it's staging. Soundstage like small ball, position is off center, spreadout to the right, back, up at the same time, then front
Bass: 3/10 (lack bass, not really detail on top of that, roll off early)
Mid: 6/10 (mid range clarity with some warm, separation is also good
Vocal: 7.5/10 (good male/female vocals)
Treble: 5.5/10 (slight hot/sibilance in lower treble, for most of the song that i played, no problem, roll off treble)
Detail: 5/10 (good for the price)
Soundstage: 5/10 (small holographic soundstage but good staging)
Imaging: 7/10 (define/precise)
Bias: 7/10 (warm neutral)
Unique set, fun staging experience, good imaging, relevant even in 2023
Overall (E to S): B-
-Sony N3
graph (6).png

I like them, an offensive tuning with alright amount of detail. It like wife (or home because i haven't had a wife yet), It's okay, definitely not the best, you like them, it's doing okay, you grow to like them, you will hate them when you listen to other iem, but you missed them everytime you try the others, so. Staging is absolutely fantastic, sound big. Spread to the right then front, more than headlevel height
Bass: 7/10 (bass slam/ bass detail is good)
Mid: 5.5/10 (good tuning, bad detail/separation)
Vocal: 7.5/10 (can't be more natural than this)
Treble: 5.5/10 (sufficent air/detail, smooth sound which effect definition, natural sound)
Detail: 4.5/10
Soundstage: 6.5/10 (museum like soundstage, fantastic positioning/staging)
Imaging: 1/10 (what is imaging?)
Bias: 5/10 (L shape tuning)
Sound like normie, not for nerd.
-Truthear Hexa
graph (7).png

No more talking, just good. Just receive today actually so will burn in more

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #72,872 of 100,641
Feb 19, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #72,873 of 100,641
Alright here's my 500 headfier comment.
-7hz Dioko
graph.png
Love the set, honestly, Dioko is the first planar i heard. After quite a while a/b the 3 planars that i have right now, i still think Dioko remain the one that i like the most, mainly it's refrence tuning and accurate cymbal strike. Bass does an okay job, not outstanding nor goood enough to enjoy, quite detail but lack slam, lack rumble. Mid is correct with a good amount of detail, sounds alright. Vocals sound rough and cold (because of treble) but if i ignore them, organic. Treble sounds sizzing instead of sparkly, roll off treble, it squeeze a tons of detail but it sound rather rough and unfinised. Soundstage is intimate, more like studio room than a hall. Positioning and staging is foward and spread out to the side with about head level height, there's a wall of sound and you can hear it.
Bass: 4/10 (lack, lack, lack, wish have more bass)
Mid: 7/10 (organic, position/ separation is on point)
Vocal: 5.5/10 (sizzing, slight uncomfort with female vocals)
Treble: 7/10 (detail, well pronounced)
Detail: 7/10 (yeah it's planar)
Soundstage: 3/10 (studio soundstage)
Imaging: 7/10 (precise)
Bias: 5.5/10 (refrence tuning)
For someone who like an intimate experience, safely tune with good amount detail retrieval. Sound like someone try to EQ a studio monitor.
-7hz Timeless
graph (1).png
Gorgeous sound, a clear winner for any asians that like heap of bass and clarity on top of that. If you aren't asians you will need much more bass than that to actually enjoy it to the fullest. Bass wise, speedy (as most of planar), not as detail as i thought it would be, good slam, rumble WITH A RIGHT AMP. Mid is .. neutral... it sound like what a neutral iem should be, okayish detail, not the most well separated mid range. Vocals is neutral, fabulous, male vocals isn't as good as female vocals. Treble is smooth, it natural, the air is sufficient. There isn't anything that i can criticize on this set, just simply good, maybe the detail isn't as good as i thought? Resolving power.. fantastic. This is one of the few iem where it does everything good but i can feel "it could do much better than that" type of iem. Soundstage is small room type (think about 6x6x2.5m room, about 20x20x8ft). Staging is in the middle then spread out to the side then go foward. with moderate height
Bass: 6.5/10 (good)
Mid: 6/10 (good, that's it)
Vocal: 7/10 (More clarity would be welcome but okay for now)
Treble: 7/10 (well resolving, slightly laidback in cymbal)
Soundstage: 4.5/10 (small room soundstage)
Imaging: 3/10 (almost zero imaging)
Bias: 7.5/10 (balanced neutral, maybe V tuning)
Definitely a unique and real good set, could be one and done for someone
-Raptgo HookX
graph (2).png

Well it's good. that's it. If you want more context, easier tuning version of Timeless, same as Timeless but more V, make it U shape. Imaging is better, soundstage is even more spread out (semi open-back), with a cost of treble clarity. it's good but you not gonna like this asians.
Bass:7.5/10 (decent slam/rumble despite being semi open)
Mid: 6/10 (okay)
Vocal: 6/10 (also okay)
Treble: 7.5/10 (cymbal being more decisive)
Detail: 6.5/10
Soundstage: 5/10 (horizontal hall like soundstage)
Imaging: 4.5/10 (okayish imaging)
Bias: 6.5/10 (U shape tuning)
West version of Timeless, not the most resolving but do the job really well. definitely a stepping stone to go to TOTL iem.
-IMR ACE
graph (4).png

Imersive, merging with the song type of experience, fat sounding with moderate to slightly muted treble. Smooth and easy listening. Everything sounds detail except mid and treble, which is almost everything. Positioning place close to the end of the room, there's still some space behind.
Bass: 6.5/10 (big bass which bleed to mid, okay but not really detail)
Mid: 4/10 (lack clarity on top)
Vocal: 6.5/10 (foward sounding, hefty feeling with female vocals)
Treble: 5/10 (you can hear a slight air and that's it, smooth and easy to listen to)
Detail: 4.5/10 (well)
Soundstage: 6.5/10 (Hall like soundstage which extend greatly to the front, fun positioning)
Imaging: 4/10 (good imaging for gaming, bad imaging for instrument)
Bias: 4.5/10 (Lshape tuning, not really my type)
Overall (E to S): C+
I feel like some will like this approach, not me.
-TinHifi T2
graph (5).png
I finally get a chance to try this and i think it is still worth it! Refrence tuning/unique sound signature, good amount of detail, good imaging and staging. I definitely enjoy this more than i should, mainly because of it's staging. Soundstage like small ball, position is off center, spreadout to the right, back, up at the same time, then front
Bass: 3/10 (lack bass, not really detail on top of that, roll off early)
Mid: 6/10 (mid range clarity with some warm, separation is also good
Vocal: 7.5/10 (good male/female vocals)
Treble: 5.5/10 (slight hot/sibilance in lower treble, for most of the song that i played, no problem, roll off treble)
Detail: 5/10 (good for the price)
Soundstage: 5/10 (small holographic soundstage but good staging)
Imaging: 7/10 (define/precise)
Bias: 7/10 (warm neutral)
Unique set, fun staging experience, good imaging, relevant even in 2023
Overall (E to S): B-
-Sony N3
graph (6).png

I like them, an offensive tuning with alright amount of detail. It like wife (or home because i haven't had a wife yet), It's okay, definitely not the best, you like them, it's doing okay, you grow to like them, you will hate them when you listen to other iem, but you missed them everytime you try the others, so. Staging is absolutely fantastic, sound big. Spread to the right then front, more than headlevel height
Bass: 7/10 (bass slam/ bass detail is good)
Mid: 5.5/10 (good tuning, bad detail/separation)
Vocal: 7.5/10 (can't be more natural than this)
Treble: 5.5/10 (sufficent air/detail, smooth sound which effect definition, natural sound)
Detail: 5/10
Soundstage: 6.5/10 (museum like soundstage, fantastic positioning/staging)
Imaging: 1/10 (what is imaging?)
Bias: 5/10 (L shape tuning)
Sound like normie, not for nerd.
-Truthear Hexa
graph (7).png
No more talking, just good. Just receive today actually so will burn in more
If that your measurement? Great to see HEXA without coupler interference! Yes that’s how I perceive HEXA’s smooth FR.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #72,874 of 100,641
When I sold my Auteur last year, I promised myself that I won’t go down the headphone way anytime soon. Just because I wanted to explore the portable section more. But recently at an audio meet-up, my love for headphones grew back again and I ended up getting some sets for myself. For portables I feel satisfied with the new Sony ZX707(brilliant battery life, decent sound capabilities) along with Symphonium Audio Meteor, Sennheiser IE200, Letshuoer X Gizaudio Galileo, and the QKZ x HBB Khan. There might be a handful of more IEMs that I own but these will make it for now. Now coming towards the headphones that have joined my gang recently. First I would like to dedicate a few words to EF400 from Hifiman.

Hifiman EF400:-

I tried a friend’s unit recently and I was literally happy with its performance. I mean a 600$ device that has the richness of R2R and works as an amplifier as well. What better can I ask from a mid-tier source in this segment? I guess I have already given about 50-70 hours to the device because it’s kinda always on “On” whenever I am at home.

To summarise its sound, it has a rich tone, good warmth, and clarity. I find the amp section to be quite clean as well. And it’s decently powerful as well, drives most Headphones that I have tested it with(HD650, Sundara Closed Back, etc). But I must say, not the most resolving R2R DAC/AMP but does an amazing job.

Coming towards the headphones that I have recently got.
EF400+Shure.jpg

Shure 1840:-

Got this from a friend of mine. Brilliant pair of cans with excellent vocals. I mean vocals and midrange can be considered the main attraction here. Has decent lower-end response as well, treble is a little soft in the definition. The primary con that I personally feel, I need more impact in the lower end and also more energy in the treble. But why is it in my collection then? Because it is very relaxing to listen to. I can listen to this pair for hours and hours, it’s comfortable and has a relaxing sound response.

Hifiman Sundara Closed Back:-

If you are a fan of Sundara, you are definitely in for a treat with the Closed Back variant here. I have bought the Sundara OG(Open-Back variant two times in the past. It’s a fairly amazing pair of headphones for the price and delivers good sound. The closed-back variant takes the good out of the OG Sundara, like the outstanding mid-bass slam and improves the other aspects like vocals and instruments have improved definition. They have a better body and sounds refined on the Closed back variant. I personally feel that the Closed back also looks better.

But not everything that glitters is gold here, Sundara Closed back is more immersive compared to the Open-back variant. Its soundstage is a little intimate. No, it isn’t congested, but it’s intimate and immersive. Also, the bite in the treble is still there, some people like me will surely find that exciting.
EF400+Sundara CB.jpg

Meze 109 Pro:-

I have waited months for these headphones. I mean I was interested in this when it came out, but I was out of headphones, had no desktop source back then, but when I got the EF400, I targeted the Meze 109 Pro from the first day. And I just got its delivery today. You can call it the honeymoon period, but I am super happy here. I mean, It sounds like the perfect headphones that I was dreaming of in recent times. It’s exciting, it’s open-sounding, it’s lively, and it just sounds phenomenal. I mean, you get an amazing lower-end, lovely midrange, and lively treble. It has a little bit of brightness to its sound but not fatiguing or harsh at all.

Also, this surely sounds the most open among all the headphones that I have got in this collection. I still miss my auteur and maybe in future I will get it again but these seem to be here to stay with me for a long time. I have also another pair of headphones incoming which might get delivered today. They are up to the level of Meze 109 Pro, and some people even compare them with higher models(like the Hifiman Arya Stealth). I wish to get its delivery soon and will surely post about them as well.
EF400+Meze.jpg

Just wanted to share this sudden change, no I am not going out of the IEM league or any other league, but I am going to explore the Headphone game as well now :) Hope you guys enjoyed this write-up of mine and find this useful, Meze 109 Pro is a dream come true!! Gonna enjoy the rest of the night with this beauty!!

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #72,876 of 100,641
This is such a great listen. This rig brings some magic to the proceedings. Sony Walkman A306 + Fiio Q1 mk II + 7hz Timeless balanced. The whole experience is top notch, excellent bass, details, immersive, and the Sony house sound. A big smile for me during dark times. Agree with Tzennn too, female vocals really shine here. Just beautifully textured.

Attachments

• IMG_1870.jpg
    IMG_1870.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 19, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #72,878 of 100,641
Bad bad news.

Very sad news..

Left unit failed and before it went dead, it almost punctured my left ear drum by having a maximum tone😭

So sad that’s such a nice sounding set that I only could enjoyed for couple of hours!

P.S.
When I flipped the polarity, the left unit starts to sound with regular volume again.

Any pro tips? Now right is regular polarity and left is negative polarity..

P.S2

I changed cable to 3.5mm SE one, now it’s back to normal🤯 A short circuit?

P.S.3

I noticed this SR5 is qdc polarity….for a regular .78 2pin🤯🤯🤯 When I flipped +/- the imaging center shifted forward.

Wow? Guess if I need to hook the cable in a proper direction, I may need to flip left pin to right case and right pin to left case… Or cut ”real” qdc pin to make it exposed 2pin ones…

P.S.4

Maybe one of cable I had got negative polarity, other cables do fine!
Oh man you poor bad luck Brian. :/ Same happened to you with Shio. Was it on Shio amp btw.?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #72,879 of 100,641
Navigation:
Here is link to SR5 initial impression post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17410547
Here is link to DTE500 A-B test post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17473402
26AD4530-C271-42AB-87EC-12562ACA7BC3.jpeg

Main Contents:

Sound Rhyme SR5 benchmark is performed below. Feaulle Latex H570 ear tips paring has great timbre reproduction especially in lower range.

Forgot to mention SR5 is same with qdc Anole V14, it glows in dark or with black light😄
Anole V14-Daylight
4B8DDE51-69E2-425D-9CAE-DE485248BEFE.jpeg

Anole V14-blacklight or glow in the dark
18C3E709-B31B-421E-A713-5521AAC3F071.jpeg

Sound Rhyme SR5 -Daylight
FE429D35-0B9A-4284-9708-F267671A7114.jpeg

Sound Rhyme SR5-Night time😳😳
DAF6D1BA-93AA-4B58-9D68-B18C5E6860F1.jpeg
9E31EC0C-3FF0-4533-9FC6-54A03D826117.jpeg
0CF5B60E-63AD-42C4-B8D9-9F3778D6401D.jpeg
8E096D0E-27F2-4792-9E7B-ECAC8E93A0E4.jpeg
A990A686-843F-4CB2-BA0A-50D7AD9E4E3A.jpeg
1C1B157E-63C2-4F74-8F45-815A12DEBDEE.jpeg

w/Blacklight
6AAD7A88-126B-4FA5-B0E9-459555E5C486.jpeg
932B2F43-D698-4219-A7FA-1FAABEE43BC4.jpeg

Against Top Performing rivals:
63A90078-32D6-49D7-9765-4363482A240F.jpeg

Left to Right
AKG N5005 (4BA+1DD) : Gain-Compensated Neutral-U
Moondrop Blessing 2 (4BA+1DD) : VDSF-Harman-Neutral
DUNU SA6 ( 6BA) : Mid-flat Neutral U (qdc)
Sound Rhyme SR5 (4BA+1DD) : Mid-focused Neutral U
AFUL Performer 5 (4BA+1DD): Monitor-style neutral with Sub bass boost
Truthear HEXA (3BA+1DD) : Diffusion-Neutral
Moondrop Variations (2EST+2BA+1DD): VDSF harman with sub-bass boost
See Audio Bravery (4BA) : Mid-focused Neutral U

-Fletcher Munson considered, I tried to level sound volume of each IEM at the same level based on personal listening
=============================
⭕️Note (Dry - Thin < Rich - Fat)

Bravery < N5005 < HEXA < B2 < SR5 <Variation< P5 < SA6 (off)

⭕️Neutral Tonal Balance overall (Uncolored > Colored)

HEXA > SA6 (Off) > B2 > P5 > Variations > N5005 > SR5 > Bravery

⭕️Bass Presence : overall bass range mass x transient speed (if too quick, no perceived presence)

https://tidal.com/track/272909903
Modern Drum N’ Bass with Piano and spatial spices added, Bass presence is a must.
Variations > SR5 > Bravery > SA6 (on) > P5 > N5005 > HEXA > B2

⭕️Bass Slam (Heavy > Light) Transient Speed x Sub Bass Mass x Carrying Energy

https://tidal.com/track/91580143
From the Intro, the bass drum slams hard with deep deep reaching Floor Tom, easy pick for Bass Slam test.

Variations > P5 > SR5 > Bravery > N5005 > SA6(On) > B2 > HEXA

⭕️Bass Organic Quality (Organic > Artificial) Yes I care about bass a lot.

This is not quantity, it’s imaging texture x timbre dynamism (impulse response & inertia ) x spatial bass range resonance

https://tidal.com/track/222971111
Yo-Yo-Ma Cello x New York Phil x MQA, Bass quality performance doesn’t lie for this track.

Variations > SR5 > P5 > HEXA > SA6(ON) >Bravery > N5005 > B2 (no good)

⭕️Mid-Bass level (Scooped vs Bleed)

https://tidal.com/track/167963393
J-POP generally has lower tolerance floor toward mid-bass. The Bassist and other mid-bass instruments / sound needs to at least stay 5m away from the main vocalist. If Bassist is positioned localized or in front of vocalist or interfered, unless the original mix is intended, will be considered a mid-bass bleed.

Bravery <HEXA <N5005 <Variations < SA6(Off) < B2 < P5< SR5

⭕️Mid-Harmonics

https://tidal.com/track/134158348
Master of harmonics, Brian Eno and Roger Eno, they speaks Harmonics instead of English. This whole album is a masterpiece. Let you know by magic of simplicity and complexity can co-exist and each track has synesthetic colors.

SA6(Off) >N5005>P5>SR5>Variations>HEXA>B2>Bravery(mid BA distortion audible when played at same volume with others….wow…BA LOST to mid harmonics)

⭕️Female Vocal Presence - Eastern

Princess Mononoke Theme Song covered by Korean Singer Dazbee, female vocalist with translucent and fragile beautiful voice. Not specific FR gain spot, but more of an overall presentation. Micro detail oriented.

Bravery > SR5 > HEXA > B2 > SA6 (Off) > Variations > P5 > N5005

⭕️Female Vocal Presence - Western
https://tidal.com/track/64980702
Rinaldo, HWV, wider macro dynamic range.

HEXA > Variations > SR5 > Bravery > P5 > SA6 (Off) > B2 > N5005

⭕️6khz Sibilance

https://tidal.com/track/155965268
One of good example of harsh sounding vocal tracks, order from less sibilant. One of deal breaker factor for some.

N5005 < SR5 < SA6(Off) < Variations < HEXA < P5 < Bravery < B2

⭕️Treble detail articulation

https://tidal.com/track/77611296
This Karajan x Berlin Phil x MQA x Mussorgsky is a very good test track for treble detail articulation. This will reveal IEM’s true spec when A-B tested. No excuses because 10BA and EST drivers do outperform with 2BA or Single BA, DDs. Result is shocking…

Variations>SR5>SA6(Off)>N5005(treble)>Bravery>P5>B2>HEXA

⭕️Sense of Air /Finesse

https://tidal.com/track/108119224
Heavily layered strings and brass would need good 10khz+ articulating capability
Bravery > SR5> N5005(treble )> Variations > HEXA > SA6(Off) > P5> B2

⭕️Imaging Focus

Thanks to @FranQL for the discovery this tracks, from 7:00 it has exceptionally good imaging focus section.
https://tidal.com/track/154520073

Variations>SA6(Off)>SR5>Bravery>P5>HEXA>B2>N5005

⭕️Sound Pressure actuation

https://tidal.com/track/131729675
To some people, realistic sound pressure comes to first of all checklist, this track has wide range of sound pressures, sub-bass to air /finesse.

SR5>P5>Variations>HEXA>B2>SA6(On) >N5005>Bravery

⭕️(Artificial /Colored) Diffusion Field -Size

Bravery>SR5>N5005(treble)> SA6 (Off > Variations>HEXA>B2>P5
⭕️(Artificial /Colored ) Diffusion Field -Position Conformity

SA6(Off)>Variations>HEXA>P5>SR5>B2>N5005>Bravery

⭕️Overall Resolving Capabilities (all frequency )

https://tidal.com/track/222971113
Again, very high demanding orchestral that has resolution requirements from sub-bass all the way to top end.
Variations > SR5 > Bravery > HEXA > SA6 > P5 > N5005 > B2

⭕️Personal Pick (2023)

SR5>SA6>Bravery>Variations>HEXA>N5005>P5>B2

SR5 (A+ / faint S-) MSRP$139 wins 1st due to its extremely resolving air and overall high ranking in charts above. Elite in both Micro detailing and Macro dynamism it will satisfy both demands.

$139 cost performance to hit solid A+ may not S-tier beater like SA6 (S-), RSV (S-), Variations(S-), but dangerously close, depending on mood, on a blind test, I would value SR5 as S-tier out of whim. That close.

I value cost to performance more than actual performance in picking favorite, so that we may all benefit in having “great sound” at an affordable price by prompting fair market competition, so this SR5 comes to first with that in mind. Truthear, Moondrop, don’t slack off, tigers are behind you.

SA6 (S-) MSRP$560 wins 2nd due to elite overall performance, and neutral tuning.

Bravery (A) MSRP$279 wins 3rd for being colored IEM but in a good way. When paired with PWA Legend II and TRI Clarion, Bravery will generate one of a kind fragile/translucent/clairvoyant timbre

Variations (S-) MSRP$520 is 4th, due to its cost-to-performance when compared to others, it is still S-tier one, but costing over $500 while others having $70-300 and performing fairly close to Variations would throw a questionable diminishing return.

Hexa (A) MSRP$79 is 5th, while being lowest priced solid A-rank IEM, it handles all categories without hustle, except those in need of extreme bass mass, some modifications will be needed. When directly A-B tested against Variations, yes HEXA is not Variations beater, but they have very close performance.

N5005 (A-) MSRP$1,000 is 6th, an affordable TOTL for lucky USA peeps! $199 80% discounted from $1000 available akg or harman’s official website. It has notable TOTL 64audio U12t styled upper mid tuning, and very soft and rounded edge of image is very beautiful to enjoy, with slightly metallic timbre that needed to be dealt. Also the bass DD unit is very fast responding, yet may lack grand scheme of hard slams due to the small driver size.

P5 (A) MSRP$219 is 7th, with one of a kind unique resonating internal bass acoustic chamber, and monitor flat 4BA, it is academically correct and unique sounding IEM. However sometime you may feel bass presence comes too front and may feel in need of artificial head room to render wider staging which P5 is not too talented. The bass has speaker woofer like deep dimension, if that’s not your concern, it may sound slow at a time.

B2 (A-) MSRP$320 is the last choice. Yes, nothing too wrong, but it’s the bass DD that causing slow bass with fast BA jet lag, a hybrid syndrome. Back in days, that hybrid syndrome was a standard, so I gave no concern, but by 2023’s standard, B2 is not competitive anymore.

Some extra face place shot
16D3F796-5140-4E7D-A39D-CD969DA68F0A.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #72,880 of 100,641
Oh man you poor bad luck Brian. :/ Same happened with Shio. Was it on Shio amp btw.?
It’s fixed by itself, I had it on Blessing 2 on balanced cable too for Day1. I guess even those crossover circuits needs a gradual run? I played with full gain from the beginning, maybe some hiccups!

No it happened on different DAPs/ DAC dongles. Not Shio.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #72,881 of 100,641
If that your measurement? Great to see HEXA without coupler interference! Yes that’s how I perceive HEXA’s smooth FR.
The treble region seems weird in my measurement, i will try some more to understand why is it.

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #72,882 of 100,641
The treble region seems weird in my measurement, i will try some more to understand why is it.

What sound card, coupler and eartips are you using for your measurements? And has it been updated with a calibration file? All these can affect how the graph appears as a final product.

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #72,883 of 100,641
Tangzu Audio has a new upcoming IEM they showed at the Guangzhou expo (similar to Canjam in China).

Name, price and driver config TBC. Bullet shaped and non-detachable. Probably a budget pair in view of the non-detachable cables. But the housing engravings look quite wicked.

331991513_1243669099841455_3575132239298530913_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/tangzuaudi...kT6tcybGjumBRkQvALkbkJuricZ2uRyGii5XUCHvesWCl

Geekwold GK100:

8mm LCP DD + titanium DD, 4 x piezo, 2x BA
Purportedly under $200 USD according to the FB post

331482490_1238665837044162_8795019218326819126_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/siyuan.che...kcp92BwFoGvyWUiKLrUFNxPbNC6FMgmbG32nDNa3kTx3l

There's more info (and graph) on the upcoming Geekwold GK100

331408683_540274971527012_2896260140443173151_n.jpg

330385141_1695761494209285_6710969278619558264_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/siyuan.che...RPj4nr9wJYWf7HKRUtcVnMXeK16sNVyXNUWJkkudB5kAl

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #72,884 of 100,641
Tangzu Audio has a new upcoming IEM they showed at the Guangzhou expo (similar to Canjam in China).

Name, price and driver config TBC. Bullet shaped and non-detachable. Probably a budget pair in view of the non-detachable cables. But the housing engravings look quite wicked.

331991513_1243669099841455_3575132239298530913_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/tangzuaudi...kT6tcybGjumBRkQvALkbkJuricZ2uRyGii5XUCHvesWCl

There's more info (and graph) on the upcoming Geekwold GK100

331408683_540274971527012_2896260140443173151_n.jpg
330385141_1695761494209285_6710969278619558264_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/siyuan.che...RPj4nr9wJYWf7HKRUtcVnMXeK16sNVyXNUWJkkudB5kAl
GK100, thats qdc tuning with less air presence🤔 Like it!

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #72,885 of 100,641
GK100, thats qdc tuning with less air presence🤔 Like it!

The GK100 supposedly has piezos handling the top end. In general the piezos may provide more air and treble extension than traditional BAs, so who knows, it possibly might be more sparkly than what the graphs can hint at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back