The discovery thread!
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #72,901 of 100,863
Sd5f6290a8be843959e0c676c4eab5919Q.jpg

Pretty confusing to release the MT4 and then the TA3 at almost the same time.
My initial impression was "Is that a Focal iem?"

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #72,902 of 100,863
Have they ever produced any hit beside Anole VX? I can’t recall any decent budget offering from them. The neptune or something like that did not fly, afaik

Yep, the Anole VX is considered their most famous summitFI IEM.

But they did release some other less famous midFI to TOTL gear such as

- DMagic series
- V3, V6 V14
- Tiger
- Gemini
- 5SH, 8SH
- 8SL, 5 SL

All rather expensive though.

QDC gear is quite popular in the stage monitor or audio work circuit. In fact, a lot of huge celebrity performers and pop stars in China get sponsored by QDC for custom IEMs for their singing performances, and you can see the QDC logo prominently displayed in their ears LOL.

QDC also has a wing producing communication devices for the Chinese military and police, so they are very connected (no pun intended).

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #72,903 of 100,863
Yep, the Anole VX is considered their most famous summitFI IEM.

But they did release some other less famous midFI to TOTL gear such as

- DMagic series
- V3, V6 V14
- Tiger
- Gemini
- 5SH, 8SH
- 8SL, 5 SL

All rather expensive though.

QDC gear is quite popular in the stage monitor or audio work circuit. In fact, a lot of huge celebrity performers and pop stars in China get sponsored by QDC for custom IEMs for their singing performances, and you can see the QDC logo prominently displayed in their ears LOL.

QDC also has a wing producing communication devices for the Chinese military and police, so they are very connected (no pun intended).

Oh wow, no idea they are that big.

I like to watch Chinese singing shows with my wife. She thought I like her culture. I was actually looking at the IEMs :dt880smile: I see Shure 215 and Ultimate Ears quite often though. Can’t say that I have seen a QDC. I should look harder.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #72,904 of 100,863
Oh wow, no idea they are that big.

I like to watch Chinese singing shows with my wife. She thought I like her culture. I was actually looking at the IEMs :dt880smile: I see Shure 215 and Ultimate Ears quite often though. Can’t say that I have seen a QDC. I should look harder.

There's this popular series called "Voice of China", it is like the American Idol or Britain's Got Talent type of competition, I think QDC sponsors a lot of their singers. Their faceplates are quite unmistakable, super colourful like these:

13615464_10153540912381782_5118643181178664122_n.jpg

As for Shure SE215. Yes I used that for stage monitoring like 10 years ago? And back then I already found it was super muddy and veiled. Amazingly, the SE215 is still sold today at the same price??? Talk about companies resting on laurels! I mean it is comfortable and small in profile, but many modern day CHIFI at sub $50 can kill it!

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #72,905 of 100,863
As for Shure SE215. Yes I used that for stage monitoring like 10 years ago? And back then I already found it was super muddy and veiled. Amazingly, the SE215 is still sold today at the same price??? Talk about companies resting on laurels! I mean it is comfortable and small in profile, but many modern day CHIFI at sub $50 can kill it!
I think the percussionist of 2CELLOS uses SE215. Quite surprising.

I remember someone (one of the old timers?) on Reddit talking about how great the SE215 is. As any geek, I saved up and got one. You know what, I don’t hate it. AUD$150 is not too bad if one wants that kind of fit. I like the comfort. The cable is a sin though.

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #72,906 of 100,863

TRN TA-series is their Hybrid Knowles BA series.

All i remember is how well the reviewer response to them as i didn't touch this line, not sure why...

TRN TA1 (1DD + 1 Knowles BA) pretty well received
TRN TA2 (1DD + 2 Knowles BA) panned by reviewer, didn't quite remember why
TRN TA (1DD + 1 Knowles BA) underwhelming apparently, not that well reviewed.
TRN TA1 Max (1DD + 1 Knowles BA), very well received by reviewer
---
now we have TRN TA3 (2DD + 1BA)

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #72,907 of 100,863
Alright here's my 500 headfier comment.
-7hz Dioko
graph.png
Love the set, honestly, Dioko is the first planar i heard. After quite a while a/b the 3 planars that i have right now, i still think Dioko remain the one that i like the most, mainly it's refrence tuning and accurate cymbal strike. Bass does an okay job, not outstanding nor goood enough to enjoy, quite detail but lack slam, lack rumble. Mid is correct with a good amount of detail, sounds alright. Vocals sound rough and cold (because of treble) but if i ignore them, organic. Treble sounds sizzing instead of sparkly, roll off treble, it squeeze a tons of detail but it sound rather rough and unfinised. Soundstage is intimate, more like studio room than a hall. Positioning and staging is foward and spread out to the side with about head level height, there's a wall of sound and you can hear it.
Bass: 4/10 (lack, lack, lack, wish have more bass)
Mid: 7/10 (organic, position/ separation is on point)
Vocal: 5.5/10 (sizzing, slight uncomfort with female vocals)
Treble: 7/10 (detail, well pronounced)
Detail: 7/10 (yeah it's planar)
Soundstage: 3/10 (studio soundstage)
Imaging: 7/10 (precise)
Bias: 5.5/10 (refrence tuning)
Overall (E to S): B+
For someone who like an intimate experience, safely tune with good amount detail retrieval. Sound like someone try to EQ a studio monitor.
-7hz Timeless
graph (1).png
Gorgeous sound, a clear winner for any asians that like heap of bass and clarity on top of that. If you aren't asians you will need much more bass than that to actually enjoy it to the fullest. Bass wise, speedy (as most of planar), not as detail as i thought it would be, good slam, rumble WITH A RIGHT AMP. Mid is .. neutral... it sound like what a neutral iem should be, okayish detail, not the most well separated mid range. Vocals is neutral, fabulous, male vocals isn't as good as female vocals. Treble is smooth, it natural, the air is sufficient. There isn't anything that i can criticize on this set, just simply good, maybe the detail isn't as good as i thought? Resolving power.. fantastic. This is one of the few iem where it does everything good but i can feel "it could do much better than that" type of iem. Soundstage is small room type (think about 6x6x2.5m room, about 20x20x8ft). Staging is in the middle then spread out to the side then go foward. with moderate height
Bass: 6.5/10 (good)
Mid: 6/10 (good, that's it)
Vocal: 7/10 (More clarity would be welcome but okay for now)
Treble: 7/10 (well resolving, slightly laidback in cymbal)
Detail: 7/10
Soundstage: 4.5/10 (small room soundstage)
Imaging: 3/10 (almost zero imaging)
Bias: 7.5/10 (balanced neutral, maybe V tuning)
Overall (E to S): A
Definitely a unique and real good set, could be one and done for someone
-Raptgo HookX
graph (2).png

Well it's good. that's it. If you want more context, easier tuning version of Timeless, same as Timeless but more V, make it U shape. Imaging is better, soundstage is even more spread out (semi open-back), with a cost of treble clarity. it's good but you not gonna like this asians.
Bass:7.5/10 (decent slam/rumble despite being semi open)
Mid: 6/10 (okay)
Vocal: 6/10 (also okay)
Treble: 7.5/10 (cymbal being more decisive)
Detail: 6.5/10
Soundstage: 5/10 (horizontal hall like soundstage)
Imaging: 4.5/10 (okayish imaging)
Bias: 6.5/10 (U shape tuning)
Overall (E to S): A
West version of Timeless, not the most resolving but do the job really well. definitely a stepping stone to go to TOTL iem.
-IMR ACE
graph (4).png

Imersive, merging with the song type of experience, fat sounding with moderate to slightly muted treble. Smooth and easy listening. Everything sounds detail except mid and treble, which is almost everything. Positioning place close to the end of the room, there's still some space behind.
Bass: 6.5/10 (big bass which bleed to mid, okay but not really detail)
Mid: 4/10 (lack clarity on top)
Vocal: 6.5/10 (foward sounding, hefty feeling with female vocals)
Treble: 5/10 (you can hear a slight air and that's it, smooth and easy to listen to)
Detail: 4.5/10 (well)
Soundstage: 6.5/10 (Hall like soundstage which extend greatly to the front, fun positioning)
Imaging: 4/10 (good imaging for gaming, bad imaging for instrument)
Bias: 4.5/10 (Lshape tuning, not really my type)
Overall (E to S): C+
I feel like some will like this approach, not me.
-TinHifi T2
graph (5).png
I finally get a chance to try this and i think it is still worth it! Refrence tuning/unique sound signature, good amount of detail, good imaging and staging. I definitely enjoy this more than i should, mainly because of it's staging. Soundstage like small ball, position is off center, spreadout to the right, back, up at the same time, then front
Bass: 3/10 (lack bass, not really detail on top of that, roll off early)
Mid: 6/10 (mid range clarity with some warm, separation is also good
Vocal: 7.5/10 (good male/female vocals)
Treble: 5.5/10 (slight hot/sibilance in lower treble, for most of the song that i played, no problem, roll off treble)
Detail: 5/10 (good for the price)
Soundstage: 5/10 (small holographic soundstage but good staging)
Imaging: 7/10 (define/precise)
Bias: 7/10 (warm neutral)
Unique set, fun staging experience, good imaging, relevant even in 2023
Overall (E to S): B-
-Sony N3
graph (6).png

I like them, an offensive tuning with alright amount of detail. It like wife (or home because i haven't had a wife yet), It's okay, definitely not the best, you like them, it's doing okay, you grow to like them, you will hate them when you listen to other iem, but you missed them everytime you try the others, so. Staging is absolutely fantastic, sound big. Spread to the right then front, more than headlevel height
Bass: 7/10 (bass slam/ bass detail is good)
Mid: 5.5/10 (good tuning, bad detail/separation)
Vocal: 7.5/10 (can't be more natural than this)
Treble: 5.5/10 (sufficent air/detail, smooth sound which effect definition, natural sound)
Detail: 5/10
Soundstage: 6.5/10 (museum like soundstage, fantastic positioning/staging)
Imaging: 1/10 (what is imaging?)
Bias: 5/10 (L shape tuning)
Overall (E to S): B+
Sound like normie, not for nerd.
-Truthear Hexa
graph (7).png
No more talking, just good. Just receive today actually so will burn in more
The bass of the Dioko is very very cable dependent. Try doing some serious cable rolling if you can.

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #72,908 of 100,863
TRN TA-series is their Hybrid Knowles BA series.

All i remember is how well the reviewer response to them as i didn't touch this line, not sure why...

TRN TA1 (1DD + 1 Knowles BA) pretty well received
TRN TA2 (1DD + 2 Knowles BA) panned by reviewer, didn't quite remember why
TRN TA (1DD + 1 Knowles BA) underwhelming apparently, not that well reviewed.
TRN TA1 Max (1DD + 1 Knowles BA), very well received by reviewer
---
now we have TRN TA3 (2DD + 1BA)
Yup I just bought the MT4 a day ago because it's cheaper than the star river and now I regret that I may also have to get the TA3.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #72,909 of 100,863

I am not surprised. MT4 graph is exactly the same midbass mess of another failed 2 DD IEM. A total miss

Maybe a lot of the 2 DDs that would be for MT4 now are for manufacturing TA3. The tuning is probably V... Lets see if its an improved TA1 Max, which was well received by the community.

I just wish they released versions with different tunings. Because while is the line for cheapest Knowles products, they can somehow subdue that hardware potential

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #72,910 of 100,863
I am not surprised. MT4 graph is exactly the same midbass mess of another failed 2 DD IEM. A total miss
Wait which one?
Maybe a lot of the 2 DDs that would be for MT4 now are for manufacturing TA3. The tuning is probably V... Lets see if its an improved TA1 Max, which was well received by the community.

I just wish they released versions with different tunings. Because while is the line for cheapest Knowles products, they can somehow subdue that hardware potential
33518 is usually only for bringing out some sparkle IMO and it's implemented quite well in the full metal TA1 Max I think but the TA3 they are doing half plastic half metal again so maybe let me hear how the MT4 sounds first.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #72,912 of 100,863
Feb 20, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #72,913 of 100,863
Feb 20, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #72,914 of 100,863

ignore from 10khz and above, the rest look exactly what i heard

So is it a shrieking banshee or caterwauling cat? I know the big bass may balance things out, but 15 dB pinna gain is gonna make its presence felt!

Maybe it should be called "pinna pain" instead of pinna gain

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #72,915 of 100,863

Users who are viewing this thread

Back