The discovery thread!
Jan 21, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #71,536 of 101,547
Looking for a slight V-shaped signature in an affordable yet qualitative package? Even if the QoA Vesper are not « fresh news », this 1DD/1BA setup offers a warmish signature with the right amount of impact in the lower register and does not tickle your ears too much in the upper-mids region. It’s an USD 60ish set, but very well executed (special mention to the tight 2pin connectors). 40 hours of burn-in for the DD will do. Getting a good seal with appropriate tips is key and the stock cable does its job, even if an extra investment for a SPC or silver cable will enhance the experience. I repeat though, the stock cable is fine.

You can get the Vesper here https://qoa-audio.com/product/qoa-vesper/ or on AE (like I did)

8F0C452B-603C-4AAD-8DE2-950FF9B5B2A5.jpeg
I've had th Vesper for over a year. It continues to impress. A class above its asking price and it does pair well with a silver-plated or pure silver cable.

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #71,537 of 101,547
Never heard about the Vesper, with so many releases coming out some gets left behind. Fromt eh measurement it looks like a fun IEM with a bass shelf similar to Blon 03.

What interest me the most is, what cable is that @F700 ? I am a sucker for nice cables.
I have one Vesper coming, found around $50 something, it looks pretty nice on FR
Nice deal if you can find ED29689 with full resin filled nice looking shell for around $30! If I had same choice, I’d also picked that one for sure👍

By the way I just found QoA vesper for around $52 and SPD+BA TRN Xuanwu for around $25, so it’s incomig with sloppy aliexpress standard shipping.

I don’t know if i3 Pro is using SPD or not, if not, Xuanwu is gonna be my first SPD exposure.

For QoA Vesper I noticed it has my HRTF 3khz peak and pretty similar tuning with Sony M9, with knowles BA, it won’t be too bad to give it a try. I may feel a bit edgy for that 6khz area, but it can be tamed with ear tips.
A13728FD-5725-45DD-ABE8-E277E2DECE21.png

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #71,538 of 101,547
I've had th Vesper for over a year. It continues to impress. A class above its asking price and it does pair well with a silver-plated or pure silver cable.
Yes Sir, indeed🙏

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #71,539 of 101,547
Jan 21, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #71,541 of 101,547
Jan 21, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #71,542 of 101,547
For Vesna conflicting reports are very understandable, Vesna acts totally different depending on amp’s drivability

Here is the details

I suspect it reacts similar way to Flo Audio Lily
Amazingly strong difference.
It can be really instructive to compare different sources in the same settings.

Ordered FloAudio Lily, very much intrigued by their impedance-dependent response and a single BA in a fit-friendly shell.

On another note, I still hope to hear your evaluation of KZ ESX (12 mm LCP) one day, given your penchant for LCP drivers. Just curious.
Tempotec Sonata HD II

Need to praise this small dongle, I have been on a hunt for a while to get silent output from my Pixel 6 phone. I have tried more expensive dongles also, all of them has picked up clicks and pops from the phone. This is the first dongle I have tried that's completely silent. Before this only some battery driven DAC/AMPs where able to remove the noise.

It also has a clear and nice sound considering the price point and the size. The SHIO will arrive this weekend, while probably sound better. But not a given that it can remove the noise like this.
Great to hear about your positive experience.
All Tempotec DACs that I have (4+) and V1A were great experience for me. I would be rather surprised for a good DAC not to provide isolation from the phone noise.

Shio is amazing in clarity and for those who value "the stage", it is the one with the most spacious feeling that I have experienced.
I find this expanded stage (not only from Shio) nice for some music and a bit artificial for other.

Yet, I could use only 1-2-3 lowest power levels on a phone volume control for some music, so without implementing independent volume controls, Shio won't become a sensation that it can possibly be.

Also I got Shio to its bare bones, so to speak. The seam on the leather-imitating cover material will hardly survive well with time due to dust, etc (had to be sealed); relived experience of earlier years of "what's inside this thing", and it has screws (which is great!) to go even further:)
20230121_182608.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #71,544 of 101,547
Ian Fann graphed and reviewed it. Worst 2DD implementation... The bass is so wrong. Sadly, because the IEM is so beautiful
Good to know! RIP Ian😞

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #71,546 of 101,547
Amazingly strong difference.
It can be really instructive to compare different sources in the same settings.

Ordered FloAudio Lily, very much intrigued by their impedance-dependent response and a single BA in a fit-friendly shell.

On another note, I still hope to hear your evaluation of KZ ESX (12 mm LCP) one day, given your penchant for LCP drivers. Just curious.

Great to hear about your positive experience.
All Tempotec DACs that I have (4+) and V1A were great experience for me. I would be rather surprised for a good DAC not to provide isolation from the phone noise.

Shio is amazing in clarity and for those who value "the stage", it is the one with the most spacious feeling that I have experienced.
I find this expanded stage (not only from Shio) nice for some music and a bit artificial for other.

Yet, I could use only 1-2-3 lowest power levels on a phone volume control for some music, so without implementing independent volume controls, Shio won't become a sensation that it can possibly be.

Also I got Shio to its bare bones, so to speak. The seam on the leather-imitating cover material will hardly survive well with time due to dust, etc (had to be sealed); relived experience of earlier years of "what's inside this thing", and it has screws (which is great!) to go even further:)
20230121_182608.jpg
Ah didn’t know ESX was LCP! I’m gonna order one now. Thesedays for dynamic drivers I’m hardly looking any other drivers other than LCP, besides Tangzu X See Audio’s Shimin Li (classic CNT).

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #71,549 of 101,547

Users who are viewing this thread

Back