The discovery thread!
Jan 15, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #71,221 of 100,874
I think it was a glitch of some kind that they fixed. Either way, it's still showing on my profile, which means sooner or later I am gonna buy something else from Drop. Nice bait.

1673839570931.png

Wow nice that they honoured it!

Anyways, look forward to your reviews on this.

I wonder how competitive these JVCs of a few years ago will be, against some modern day CHIFI of similar pricing. I'm a Final Audio fanboy and have the entire E series, but even I think that technically (and perhaps in terms of drivability), a lot of similarly priced CHIFI single DDs eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have a unique tuning though, but some of the cheaper E series have a non-detachable cable, when even $20 CHIFI nowadays come with a detachable cable.

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #71,222 of 100,874
Do you take me for an overgrown kitten? I'm always up for a challenge like this, so I'll take a punt at guessing. Possibly wet, due to the drop motif reminding me of fluid. That center graphic has some sort of ribbed pattern and what appears like a small slit at the bottom.

I'll go check with my ouiji board and see if the spirits can come up with....

Waiting....

Oh come on it can't be that hard!

"Vul#^@...!"

Well that was no use! Vulgar maybe? Vulture (I doubt that).

Got it!

It was the...

DUNU VULCAN​

DUNU-VULKAN-DK-X6-2DD-4BA-6-Hybrid-Drivers-In-Ear-Earphone-IEM-2-5-3.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

The whole wet thing was a red herring, the drop referred to the shape. I thought I smelled something fishy! The ribbed feature is the Damascus patterning and the slit is the vent on the bottom of the faceplate.

What's so wrong with the Dunu Vulcan that you can't even mention it? Is DUNU a banned brand too?:ksc75smile:
What's wrong with Vulkan? They are quite decent with generous accessories (as always, it's Dunu).

Speaking of Dunu, I wonder what's coming up next from them. Both Vulkan and Talos were ... alright.

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #71,223 of 100,874
What's wrong with Vulkan? They are quite decent with generous accessories (as always, it's Dunu).

Speaking of Dunu, I wonder what's coming up next from them. Both Vulkan and Talos were ... alright.
Nothing is wrong with Vulcan (AFAIK), but I don't actually think that is what kmmbd was unable to type!

I suspect the visual association was of a more anatomical nature!:ksc75smile:

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #71,224 of 100,874
Yeah that was special very limited with limited publication too. Collaboration between local chinese reviewer and Moondrop but never gone official. Wow, you've been so lucky to hear that, still remember the impressions? Heard that X-01 sounded very similar to Etymotic's.

Yes, a friend of mine is a reviewer, he has a youtube channel called Aftersound Review, do check him out, he always make video reviews in Indonesian and english, and i oftentimes have similar opinions to his reviews. We sometimes have audio meets, and he brought the X01 at one time.

it really sounded similar to my ER4XR, if i remember correctly the ER4XR has slightly bigger bass... But don't quote me on this, as it was some time ago 😅
But one thing for sure is it was a good sounding iem and i like it a lot

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #71,225 of 100,874
Got this rather interesting IEMs in hand this weekend: XENNS Mangird Top.

The first thing I like about them: the carry case. It's large but has a cutout to place the IEMs inside with felt lining all-around. Neat.

2X2A0097_1.jpg

The second thing I like about them is the face-plate design. I couldn't quite catch the "3D effect" of the resin shell, but it looks even better than the picture in person.

2X2A0101.jpg

The third is the overall smoothness of the sound. No abrupt dips or peaks. Treble rolls off smoothly. Sounds fairly natural.

1673844559199.png

Things that I do not like for now:
  • The sub-bass can get too strong in certain tracks and somewhat "overshadow" the mid-bass texture and punch.
  • The slight peak around 5kHz can get distracting in tracks with forward guitar riffs (e.g. Porcupine Tree's Prodigal).
  • The treble exhibits BA timbre.
Full review in the works, will share more after spending some time with them.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #71,226 of 100,874

Yeah, wonder what's next from them? Kima, Talos were alright, i kinda like the Vulkan because of the unique tuning,it's very easy to listen to..but i dont think it will please anyone who's looking for high level of technicalities

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #71,227 of 100,874
i dont think it will please anyone who's looking for high level of technicalities
Yup, I came with my wallet ready, and I left the store after a long critical listening session with a lukewarm review. Same with Talos (but for a different reason)

I want to like Dunu’s IEMs, but there is always something off about them, from Zen to EST112, SA6, to the current crop :thinking:

Edit: to be fair, i have the same impressions with the previous crop of Fiio’s IEMs.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #71,228 of 100,874
oooh,
try this rock music to test the low growl male vocals.

or this chaotic bass/drum line

Handled both like a champ

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #71,231 of 100,874
Got this rather interesting IEMs in hand this weekend: XENNS Mangird Top.

The first thing I like about them: the carry case. It's large but has a cutout to place the IEMs inside with felt lining all-around. Neat.

2X2A0097_1.jpg

The second thing I like about them is the face-plate design. I couldn't quite catch the "3D effect" of the resin shell, but it looks even better than the picture in person.

2X2A0101.jpg

The third is the overall smoothness of the sound. No abrupt dips or peaks. Treble rolls off smoothly. Sounds fairly natural.

1673844559199.png

Things that I do not like for now:
  • The sub-bass can get too strong in certain tracks and somewhat "overshadow" the mid-bass texture and punch.
  • The slight peak around 5kHz can get distracting in tracks with forward guitar riffs (e.g. Porcupine Tree's Prodigal).
  • The treble exhibits BA timbre.
Full review in the works, will share more after spending some time with them.
That's a beautiful image right there bro!! I have always been intrigued by their IEMs, but never tried any.

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #71,232 of 100,874
Yeah, wonder what's next from them? Kima, Talos were alright, i kinda like the Vulkan because of the unique tuning,it's very easy to listen to..but i dont think it will please anyone who's looking for high level of technicalities
I personally liked the Talos. I mean it had good resolution and details for the price point. Kima is decent, I don't like it much. Vulkan as you mentioned is smooth and relaxing, but I personally find it too dark for my taste.

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #71,233 of 100,874
Hi folks, I have finally finished my review of Shanling M6 Ultra. You can find it on Head-fi and my personal blog.

As we reach the end of this review, let’s go back to the opening question: “What’s the point of digital audio players (DAP) in this day and age?”

From a pure performance/cost ratio perspective, No, there is no point.

But it does not mean that a DAP is not desirable. A device like M6U is a desktop setup you can put in your bag or pocket. From the convenience perspective, there is a sense of freedom when you don’t have to deal with separate devices, cables, and Bluetooth in your listening session. You pick up the brick, your IEM or your headphone and enjoy.

There is also a psychological perspective. As someone who is easily distracted, having a brick dedicated to music helps me to focus on the thing for which I buy all these gears: enjoying music. Not just playing music in the background but savouring it. Of course, a phone and a dongle serve the purpose just fine, but a dedicated brick feels better (to me).

Should you get an M6U? It depends on how much you want a music brick. If you’ve decided that you want one, despite the performance/cost argument, then Shanling M6 Ultra should be one of your options. It’s a good one.

ShanlingM6U_Summary.JPG

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #71,234 of 100,874
Jan 16, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #71,235 of 100,874
I can do a single BA cross comparison
Ety ER4S
KBEar Neon
FLO audio Lily (incoming)
Moondrop Droplet (will buy)

I have some old single BA’s like Harman Kardon EP720 etc but it’s already been obsolete by now.

Single BA’s tonal density can be very pale, but as a benefit it can‘t go too wrong as that’s as there is only one driver, as simple taste as boiled egg.
Ah, I'll be looking forward to it then. Might end up buying the NiceHCK's just to experience BA's before buying higher priced sets though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back