The discovery thread!
Jan 15, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #71,191 of 100,103
Well you can have a very educated guess at it if they report measurements, which Dunu does
Just like all measurements in this hobby, it depends on the individual and ear construction. They measured 12mm as LARGE. That's WRONG.

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #71,192 of 100,103
Just like all measurements in this hobby, it depends on the individual and ear construction. They measured 12mm as LARGE. That's WRONG.
That's not the way I'm interpreting it. My interpretation is they are measuring 12mm as large, so if you don't wear 12mm, you shouldn't buy them.

In the same way that in women's clothes, a size 12 is not equal across all clothing types/brands/etc. You still have to make sure the measurements are right for yourself

Jan 15, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #71,193 of 100,103
Jan 15, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #71,194 of 100,103
That's not the way I'm interpreting it. My interpretation is they are measuring 12mm as large, so if you don't wear 12mm, you shouldn't buy them.

In the same way that in women's clothes, a size 12 is not equal across all clothing types/brands/etc. You still have to make sure the measurements are right for yourself

The shape of the tip has a huge impact on the seal, especially with the S&S tips.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #71,195 of 100,103
1 BA budget IEM is a new for Moondrop. So far, they only use BAs on their flagship models.

Sound wise, there is no real reason to go with such a limited driver configuration.

The only reason you'd even bother with a single BA is because the IEM housing can be insanely small which is excellent for comfort.

Quarks was already very small tho and that has a DD, I don't know why Moondrop went with single BA.
Probably to intrigue interest to someone like me…”hmm Moondrop‘s new challenge on a single BA? 🤔

As far as I know Moondrop’s CEO is a big big fan of Ety (and their product design engineer girl is a big fan of Final Audio), so this maybe his hobby pursuing Ety’s road?

Jan 15, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #71,196 of 100,103
Cable seems non-detachable. But anyways, I do think there are probably gonna be compromises for a single BA transducer - namely:
1) Inadequate extension in sub-bass and/or higher treble - there's only so much a single BA can cover without crossovers/other drivers picking up the slack.
2) BA timbre.
3) Possibly weaker technicalities than a multi driver set at the same price.

So in essence, you are combining the weaknesses of a single driver and a BA setup in a single BA IEM, but I do hope it turns out good.
Looks interesting, I've been looking to purchase a Single BA set and, I might wait for awhile more and see how this performs. Was planning to get the NiceHCK X49's, but if this is also a Single BA bullet that's within 50 dollars, I might get it. Just hope it doesn't have the QC issues that Moondrop is known for though.

Jan 15, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #71,197 of 100,103
Jan 15, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #71,198 of 100,103
Looks like JVC is really getting rid of their catalog of unsold stuff on DROP. The firesale continues:

https://drop.com/buy/ha-fw1000-tws-iem

JVC HA-FW1000 TWS​

I blame y'all for making me bite the bullet. Ended up ordering the FW-1800. The same driver as the flagship FW-10000 for $220... too hard to pass on lol. Plus they gave USD$40 in-store credit as cashback.

Now hopefully German customs won't be too hard on them.

1673822897669.png

Jan 15, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #71,199 of 100,103
Looks interesting, I've been looking to purchase a Single BA set and, I might wait for awhile more and see how this performs. Was planning to get the NiceHCK X49's, but if this is also a Single BA bullet that's within 50 dollars, I might get it. Just hope it doesn't have the QC issues that Moondrop is known for though.
I can do a single BA cross comparison
Ety ER4S
KBEar Neon
FLO audio Lily (incoming)
Moondrop Droplet (will buy)

I have some old single BA’s like Harman Kardon EP720 etc but it’s already been obsolete by now.

Single BA’s tonal density can be very pale, but as a benefit it can‘t go too wrong as that’s as there is only one driver, as simple taste as boiled egg.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #71,200 of 100,103
Ety ER4S
KBEar Neon

I have some old single BA’s like Harman Kardon EP720 etc but it’s already been obsolete by now.

Single BA’s tonal density can be very pale, but as a benefit it can‘t go too wrong as that’s as there is only one driver, as simple taste as boiled egg.

Boiled egg has two drivers: the yoke and the white. It comes in a nice shell, too.

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #71,201 of 100,103
Ety ER4S
KBEar Neon

Well done single BA can be surprisingly crisp, clear, and resolving in the midrange region. Take Westone MACH10 as an example. It matches the Blessing 2 without much problem. They have no bass and no treble extension, but for the purpose of monitoring vocal, they are great.

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #71,204 of 100,103
Probably to intrigue interest to someone like me…”hmm Moondrop‘s new challenge on a single BA? 🤔

As far as I know Moondrop’s CEO is a big big fan of Ety (and their product design engineer girl is a big fan of Final Audio), so this maybe his hobby pursuing Ety’s road?

Do you know Moondrop has released an limited Ety copy single BA before?
It was called X-01, in collaboration with chinese reviewer xuan er ji CMIIW

1673829706524.png

Jan 15, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #71,205 of 100,103
My FW1800 arrives sometime this week.

Wow that's fast, I thought DROP only shipped them on 15th Feb!
Look forward to your impressions!

Now the HA-FD01 is on drop, for $129
https://drop.com/buy/jvc-ha-fd01-iem

I wonder if this isn’t a misstep, introducing the original (to the FDx1) outside of the Japanese market, sans filtering materials ?

Hmm, the FD01 is obsolete, with the FDX1 adding on some tuning filters to tame the upper frequencies of the original FD01, which were a bugbear for some users.

JVC is really clearing their unwanted stock on DROP, mass firesales!!

I blame y'all for making me bite the bullet. Ended up ordering the FW-1800. The same driver as the flagship FW-10000 for $220... too hard to pass on lol. Plus they gave USD$40 in-store credit as cashback.

Now hopefully German customs won't be too hard on them.

1673822897669.png

I am very very tempted to pull the trigger too. The 12 dB pinna gain on a few graphs put me off initially. But thankfully @ldo77 says it is a warmish set.

Hmm, now the most important factor. I need to think of an excuse to tell the wife when another IEM magically appears in the mailbox.

I can get the Seeaudio Yume II for $135. Is there any better iem out there in this price range ?

What music genres do you listen to? Are you a basshead, treblehead, treble sensitive, mids lover etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back