The discovery thread!
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #69,301 of 101,793
Great! AFUL performer 5(band 5) arrived!
Phew, I didn’t have to go thru a long dispute process.

4468D28B-31B8-4634-9526-2232059CA558.jpeg

Out box impression will be updated on this post.

Initial Impressions out of box with stock ear tip(decent bore size.

▶︎Purchased with my own hobby budget, no affiliations as usual

▶︎Faceplate, shell is the one ODM seemed to be coming from Tiendirenhe. It’s Monarch MKII’s model.

Such as this and this.
Hey…just don’t… they are good at shells. Not drivers inside.

For Faceplate design, I’m not a particular fan of this gorgeous style. I hope they change the style to wooden face plate, deep bass is well represented with wooden faceplate, to my personal preference.

If the shell is a transparent one like Blessings2’s it may have become more amusing, because this IEM is full of panted techs.

▶︎Trivia | AFUL is not a typical Chi-Fi IEM brands where most them situated near “chinese silicone valley”, Dongguan / Shenzhen, the world’s largest densely urbanized regions in the world “Zhuhai Delta”. Or Zhuhai Megacities.

AFUL is located near my another hometown Shanghai, SuZhou, east coast port city. It’s close to New York (Shanghai) / New Jersey (ShuZhou) in States. An hour of train ride will take you from Shanghai to SuZhou.

▶︎AFUL team knows narrowing bore will alter the signature. From this point alone, a positive impression)

▶︎Bass DD sounds like the type that needs initial run. But the “transient” is very impressive…! Very impressive. The acoustic long guide surely is a tech that really works. Not just a marketing flowery words “EnVisionTec Acoustic Guide”. Bass that actually diffuses. If a proper ear tips are matched, I’m sure this thing will rock. Even to basshead.

🟥 To elaborate more on one of the unique characteristics that you can find from P5, the way how bass sound. The amplitude of bass’s impluse is larger than I can except from an IEM’s dynamic diaphragm.

The resonance sounds like full-size headphones’ bass.
“Open”, “Deep”, “bouncing”, “high-dimensional” , “High Density”, “High-Sound Pressure”.

—Technical Observations:
IEM’s bass resonance, which usually relies on

Transducers+
Acoustic tube guide / or directly pass-thru + sound outlet nozzle + ear tip’s internal acoustic chamber + ear tip’s membrane (thickness and material ) + ear canal’s acoustic chamber = final sound wave delivery to
①ear drum
②ear canal’s surface

Of which AFUL added extra resonance chamber and long tube guide to have extra amplification of bass wave. When delivered to ②ear canal’s surface, the resonance provides an additional dimension of bass image depth.

▶︎Air Pressure release system confirmed to be working. No pressure build up and feels comfortable and being vented. I guess this venting system serves important role in their “Micro Resonator Technology”. Which helps bass imaging to be more dynamic and with high momentum, imaging positioning, as well as you can feel the direction and speed of how bass wave will travel through your perceived staging space.

▶︎Very instrument-neutral, rendering original mix/mastering very truthfully. BA driver spec is great too. Natural sounding

▶︎Upper registers sounds similar to that of B2’s probably not as extended as “colored” ones. Neutral approach precisely executed👍

Even with a bit rough out of box DD subwoofer performance, P5 is a thing that I feel “great, my hard earned money spent paid off”.

P5’s bass system is what I will be demanding for the penultimate engame IEM.
A 4EST+ 4BA (upper mid) + 4BA (mid-upper bass) + 1 LCP DD with AFUL’s acoustic technology + full range Bone Conduction Driver to fill the gap between IEM and Full-size can’s Pinna area stimulation.

—Tip Roll Notes
▶︎Stock (Blue) Actually very satisfying balance. No complaints.
▶︎SpinFit W1 : It recuded P5’s fun part bass. Tonality wise good.

▶︎Softears UC: I was expecting UC to boost P5’s best bass, to further niche, but it didn’t happen. Strangely UC and P5 is a mis-match. It makes P5 to sound a good 4BA+1DD, but a bit boring.

▶︎SpinFit CP360: The resonance match of CP360 and P5 is good. Currently a beat match except the stock tips which actually does very good job.

▶︎SpinFit CP100: Not terrible, but it V-tuned. Mid feel scooped.

▶︎AZLA SednafitLight: Opens up mid-and upper, more transparency. Bass resonance is a little tight but very good match. Currently Best Match over CP360 & Stock.

▶︎TRI CLARION: lowers baas floor, opens up staging and transparency to the highest level. Treble sensitive group with certain gain spot around 5-6khz may start to feel offended depending on the type of genre. Tonal balance is bright-neutral, I actually like this presentation for classical.

▶︎Latex M570: !!! This is a good match. Sub-bass kick, mid-bass resonance, clear visibility. Not too offensive 5-6khz, wide diffusion depending on the source. It will lower bass floor but still retain the “rumble feeling”. I was using M570 on HEXA as my vocal-neutral reference monitor, but I may need to order another pair… It will raise few decibels of mid and upper, so the tonal balance will facing north of neutral.

▶︎AZLA Xelastec Crystal : The M570’s original copy with harder silicone material. Has good synergy with P5 as well, bass floor will be lowered as well, sub-bass timbre will be tight but nimble. Technicalities wise this is very accrued and precise.

▶︎Moondrop Spring Tip : mid-upper mid boost. Bass floor is lowered. Resonance is OK, but lacks “the kick”. Spring Tip is obtainable from Moondrop’s Chu. And it has good synergy with Thieaudio’s dynamic driver if anyone haven’t tried.

▶︎Acostune AER07: similar to stock, but due to wider bore than stock, higher mid and upper, more transparency with a trade off possible fatigue, bass is tight but has good resonance.

▶︎UM BlueCore: Wide Bore x Bass boost thin black silicone, not a good match. Bass is too loose.

▶︎AZLA Zelastec: Very good synergy. Bass transient and silicone resonance point has a good balance. One of final pairing candidates. Mid-upper balance is good as well.

▶︎Final E: small bore, usually used to tame extremely harsh treble. Actually if you push down the tips further down to the steps, Final E and P5 has good synergy, making P5 a warm-neutral with some cost of transparency and air. Westone tuning. Actually a nice match.

Some tracks used to test bass performance. The 4BA part is great as well, but bass is something that needs more digging.
For male voice resonance, this is some oriental wicked but catchy one to test

J-pop with good bass.

Modern instrumental with nice acoustic and fast bass

Acoustic Cello Solo

Smooth electronica

Billboard classic

Modern Rock

Human Beatbox

SORRY AFUL FOR MOCKING YOUR BRANDNAMS AS AWFUL.

It is BeautiFUL. Please consider changing name to BFUL Performer 5.

Will update more details later.

Tip and Cable Roll result for AFUL P5:
Stock Cable x Stock Blue Tip.

Man…AFUL knows what’s the best balance for P5…. This stock x stock brings the best balance.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #69,302 of 101,793
What is peoples favorite bass enhancing tips? I'm guessing mostly small bore tips that helps.

Gotta say, the Final Type-E series tips bring the thump and slam. My Jade/FiiO JD7 is sporting them at present and the experience is simply outstanding.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #69,303 of 101,793
What is peoples favorite bass enhancing tips? I'm guessing mostly small bore tips that helps.

+1 to the final audio E black tips.

The white final audio E tips are brighter, so don't get this, but get the black ones, the latter tame treble quite well.

They usually retail for $15 usd for a set, but if you buy a $20 iem like he kinera Tyr or Final E500, they come with the final E black tips, so it is like getting the tips + iem for additional five bucks.

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #69,304 of 101,793
Yeah I’m gonna pick up that Tanchjim cable S to match with the Stargate (so single-ended) cuz they look the same and made out of the same materials, description of the cable S sound is exactly how I hear the Stargate. I just want that combo of the look plus the coherency throughout the DAC and cable.

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #69,305 of 101,793

The white final audio E tips are brighter, so don't get this, but get the black ones, the latter tame treble quite well.

They usually retail for $15 usd for a set, but if you buy a $20 iem like he kinera Tyr or Final E500, they come with the final E black tips, so it is like getting the tips + iem for additional five bucks.

I just realised something: Final equips Final E5000 with Type E tips. They like GIGABASS, don't they :dt880smile:

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #69,307 of 101,793

Yea I was thinking Final E is old school, but when tried with Performer 5, it had pretty warm and nice bass resonance. Final E still can do good job to some good matching ones.

Just like Final E = Get Final E500 $20 which comes with full set of Final E,

Moondrop Spring Tip = Get Chu$19, it comes with full set of Spring Tips if separately bought $12.99

Also if you get Moondrop’s Stellaris, around $109. It comes with full set of Softwars UC (S, M, L). If separately bought it only has Sx2 or Mx2 or Lx2 for $19. Stellaris, is questionable one from Moondrop. Sounds like KZ’s ZS10 in terms of tuning. Can handle some acoustic genre pretty well, and Planar driver’s spec is very good.

My speculation is that KZ and Moondrop sent their product design to same ODM. ODM mistakenly put KZ’s Planar design as Moondrop Stellaris, and Moondrop’s Design as KZ PR1PRO. That makes sense.

KZ curve.
873DDF00-68C1-4A7F-9E08-5E685261C1C7.png

Moondrop Curve
F5B222E7-F998-4D81-90CF-02E436AB7BE2.png

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #69,308 of 101,793
If your wife is safe and sound then it's alright isn't it? 😁 if one day you decided to go to Vietnam, i suggest Da Nang as it is well developed city and have the traditional peaceful and slowness of vietnamese
Seriously? It's actually quiet in the ciry of Da Nang? No screeching howling motor scooters buzzing in every direction, etcetera?

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #69,309 of 101,793
Anyone tried this?
BGVP’s 2DD for $29.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...ne-dual-dynamic-driver-iem-activity-headphone

I don’t know why all IEM shop puts Dolls Frontline (JP) Girls Frontline (CN)’s G36 as their “6D Gaming” experience Ads. It’s not FPS…a map strategy game. Girls Frontline is a proper copyright app game so that makes me wonder about the compliance awareness of IEM shops, as well as Shenzhen Audio’s legal consciousness.
5438E588-D316-4368-9D97-46D42AB6D2D7.jpeg

B9A404C0-F9DF-4CC7-963F-4F2F5B01BD1F.jpeg

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #69,310 of 101,793
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #69,311 of 101,793
Dec 18, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #69,312 of 101,793
Anyone tried this?
BGVP’s 2DD for $29.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...ne-dual-dynamic-driver-iem-activity-headphone

I don’t know why all IEM shop puts Dolls Frontline (JP) Girls Frontline (CN)’s G36 as their “6D Gaming” experience Ads. It’s not FPS…a map strategy game. Girls Frontline is a proper copyright app game so that makes me wonder about the compliance awareness of IEM shops, as well as Shenzhen Audio’s legal consciousness.

That waifu, is killer :wink:

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #69,313 of 101,793
Anyone tried this?
BGVP’s 2DD for $29.

Akros, who I trust as having a good ear, said the Scale was a waste of time. Bloaty mess. Vortex stated the exact same thing. Mid bass bleedy and not impressive. I imagine that's why they aren't talked about?

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #69,314 of 101,793
Akros, who I trust as having a good ear, said the Scale was a waste of time. Bloaty mess. Vortex stated the exact same thing. Mid bass bleedy and not impressive. I imagine that's why they aren't talked about?
Thx. Great info!

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #69,315 of 101,793
So near my endgame listen. Absolutely beautiful and creamy sound. Mature, creamy, with punch and resolution. AKG N5005 + Sony A55 with Mr Walkman mod + Fiio Mont Blanc IEM Edition amp + Fiio pure silver interconnect + DD hifi gold 3.5 adapter for AKG 2.5 balanced cable + spinfit silicone tips.

The Q1 mk II is an excellent semi-budget amp ($100-$130), but it's bassy and dark. The Mont Blanc is more transparent and balanced. Less colored, so it suits the A55 and AKG N5005 much better. I also have my Cardas interconnect, which is a superior interconnect to the Fiio pure silver, but I wanted to keep it more balanced with more clarity in the highs, and the fiio does that trick, because the A55 has that thick Sony house sound.

So far it's been aural bliss for me and I absolutely have to thank @AmericanSpirit for the AKG recc. Had it not been for him, I wouldn't have taken the plunge. Cheers! :beerchug: :L3000:

p.s. I'll be hooking the Mont Blanc to my DX170 with the Cardas interconnect and 3.5 termination, and see where my ears take me?

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back