The discovery thread!
Dec 8, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #68,491 of 100,635
Received my TRN VX's (successor to the V90), runs 1DD+6BA per ear. Did not pony for the VX Pros (which ups it to 8BA).

I personally mostly run neutral/balanced, which as some who roamed down this avenue know...is seriously super hard-to-find in the <$60 zone, because average consumers want that boom boom bass.

The VX seems built well (more solid than BQEYZ's K2/KC2, which are my main digs). Cable is standard budget, but I don't really judge on starter cables. Not quite as solid as TinAudio T2 (OG, no suffix), but the T2 box presentation is like getting business class when expecting Spirit's interpretation of coach.

Based off initial 1hr use:
For my liking, it was very much of a disappointment. Different registers are emphasized, with an example being the High-Mid and Mid-bass have a bigger kick than lower-keyed bass. There's some hollowness in certain registers. The treble was not as "overemphasized" as some reviews I read said it was.

I still think the Tin T2 is top dawg in the neutral game. I personally stick to the BQEYZ K2/KC2 despite its QA problems (the two halves eventually split open, and might not be noticed until you've jammed it a pocket and tear a soldered cable or two). I know its not the most fondly championed IEM, but its slight leanings on treble and overall has this extra shimmer of brightness, as well as a slightly wider soundstage. We know math doesn't make sense in the IEM world, (how the BQ3, the successor, which adds an extra BA, but that ends up being tuned for rock...prime example).

I haven't tried every IEM out there, of course, and I do cap it to $79 tops for an IEM and $10 tops for cables (as I just can't bear the thought of buying a pricey IEM mostly blind (reviews are one thing, but everyone's experience can differ slightly). So take that as you will.
If my views change, I'll update.
Happy holidays to yalls.

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #68,492 of 100,635
I just got mine yesterday as well. Very nice packaging, accessories and tuning but rather below average technicality even in this price range IMO. There is very little background detail I can hear but macro detail is good. It sounds like a better tuned KZ EDX to me.
Boooooooo!!! Why would you want to buy something with below average technicalities just because it's $20? Buy the Salnotes Zero and that's chock full o' technicals for $20.00. The budget segment is so flooded at the moment with sidegrades and wannabees, that it makes more sense to save your money and get something in the $100-$200 range and just enjoy what you have?

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #68,493 of 100,635
I just got mine yesterday as well. Very nice packaging, accessories and tuning but rather below average technicality even in this price range IMO. There is very little background detail I can hear but macro detail is good. It sounds like a better tuned KZ EDX to me.
Have you tried more than 3 hours or you stopped at very beginning?

I had exactly same comment(with cross out) “it sounds like EDX”.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #68,495 of 100,635
Boooooooo!!! Why would you want to buy something with below average technicalities just because it's $20? Buy the Salnotes Zero and that's chock full o' technicals for $20.00. The budget segment is so flooded at the moment with sidegrades and wannabees, that it makes more sense to save your money and get something in the $100-$200 range and just enjoy what you have?
Nah after 3hours of run, Salnotes Zero and Wan’er has about same geo-dynamic technicalities. For resolutions, since Sal Zero is more neutral, it has slightly better detail articulation, micro-details. While sald mentioned Wan’er is macro-details oriented, full-orchestral, piano, those matches with Wan’er.

As I commented there are two major types of tonal preference, Eastern(Micro-detail: Crinacle), Western(Macro-dynamism: Antdroid/HBB), eastern doesn’t like mid-bass-bleed because it phase out details, while weatern doesn’t like “scooped bass, unnatural bass” for the exact same spot as to replresent liveliness of the macro-dynamism.

It’s good to know whether you belong to micro-detail oriented (HEXA’s stock tuning will fit perfectly), or macro-dynamism oriented ( Wu would fit very well). Ofcourse that’s not binary, we have harman, non-harman neutral, warm, dark, bright neutral, and lots of unique ones, but from what I’ve observed, those two major preference style are at the very bipolar extreme.

I have both taste, but more inclined to macro-dynamism 60:40 than micro-details.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #68,496 of 100,635
Maybe just over an hour now but I won't give up on it yet. So it is not a EDX anymore after 3 hours?
It’s not. Try it👍 You’ll miss a juice.

You can see my disappointment with cross-out for “unclear” sound right out of the box. I commented “at least I was expecting 7hz salnotes zero level of our of box performance, but it’s not there yet”

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #68,497 of 100,635
Received my TRN VX's (successor to the V90), runs 1DD+6BA per ear. Did not pony for the VX Pros (which ups it to 8BA).

I personally mostly run neutral/balanced, which as some who roamed down this avenue know...is seriously super hard-to-find in the <$60 zone, because average consumers want that boom boom bass.

The VX seems built well (more solid than BQEYZ's K2/KC2, which are my main digs). Cable is standard budget, but I don't really judge on starter cables. Not quite as solid as TinAudio T2 (OG, no suffix), but the T2 box presentation is like getting business class when expecting Spirit's interpretation of coach.

For my liking, it was very much of a disappointment. Different registers are emphasized, with an example being the High-Mid and Mid-bass have a bigger kick than lower-keyed bass. There's some hollowness in certain registers. The treble was not as "overemphasized" as some reviews I read said it was.

I still think the Tin T2 is top dawg in the neutral game. I personally stick to the BQEYZ K2/KC2 despite its QA problems (the two halves eventually split open, and might not be noticed until you've jammed it a pocket and tear a soldered cable or two). I know its not the most fondly championed IEM, but its slight leanings on treble and overall has this extra shimmer of brightness, as well as a slightly wider soundstage. We know math doesn't make sense in the IEM world, (how the BQ3, the successor, which adds an extra BA, but that ends up being tuned for rock...prime example).

I haven't tried every IEM out there, of course, and I do cap it to $79 tops for an IEM and $10 tops for cables (as I just can't bear the thought of buying a pricey IEM mostly blind (reviews are one thing, but everyone's experience can differ slightly). So take that as you will.
Happy holidays to yalls.
Welcome to TRN V-Xtreme club mate! I have no idea why you went to controversial TRN VX, but TRN’s VX is very picky about who to love that V-signature. I have VX and it’s successor VX PRO. Both very V-shaped.

My fullmark recommendation for that $79.

Try Truthear HEXA, mate. A game changer.

Remember to run HEXA for 30 hours to have it’s bass to retain driver’s flexibility, it will shine from 30 hours.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #68,498 of 100,635

Happy holidays to yalls.

Hey, nice to see another KC2 fan out there. The KC2s are one of my favorite low cost sets out there. They're just a very low key, get the job done, jack of all trades kinda set that goes about things in a very understated and balanced manner. I can listen to them all day with zero fatigue. And for my starving musicians out there, if you put some longer tips on them to help the isolation a little bit they do an admirable job for actual monitoring purposes.

Good times! Now I'm gonna have to go break those bad boys out and have a little nostalgia sesh with them! 🤘😎

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #68,499 of 100,635
It’s not. Try it👍 You’ll miss a juice.

You can see my disappointment with cross-out for “unclear” sound right out of the box. I commented “at least I was expecting 7hz salnotes zero level of our of box performance, but it’s not there yet”
Yeah, burn in is essential. The driver needs loosening to exhibit its full dynamism. Source matters a lot. Like any super budget, you get better with aftermarket stuff (as I previously posted). Still, Tangzu is generous with tips and gives 4 sizes of KBEAR 07 clones. The cable though is... acceptable. Its essential go balanced for audiophilia, anyway. SQ scales a lot with power and that ~safe~ tuning reaches its climax with more volume, especially from a more resolving source.

While TRN MT3 and Nicehck DB1 are only okay for me at low volume, Wan'er SG is a moment for loudness with no fatigue at all. The bass is very engaging and Abigail enhances it further, I think. It sounds so physical & clean...

My guess is that Tangzu, instead of cloning Salnotes, is opting for more musicality. They may be avoiding it sound grainy (like my EDX Pro does). I think is what everyone thought the Chu would be when it was announced

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #68,500 of 100,635
You ever wake up and just feel ornery (o r n e r y) ?
Well today, I'm poking the bear

"Burn in"
I'm using the same cable that my FD5 has
On my testing for DOA: playback is no bueno. Sibilant and the bass is splashy, lacks depth and dominates the playback; some of this can be attributed to my "oven", an older iPad, with the free version of Pandora.
This is the first and last time that I'll listen to the JD7 (should really be a 5), for the next 5 days
Will follow up

JD7 should be a 5
JD7.jpg

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #68,502 of 100,635
I’m at car dealer right now for my car’s maintenance, using Moondrop Nekocake as ANC TWS on the go, Nekocake has moondrop’s mobile app, of which you can set several EQ presets to the Nekocake.
B8009D78-A37B-4EFC-AA8F-08F31AAD7599.jpeg

One of them, Wennbostel, I believe it’s Sennheiser’s mimic name obviously Moondrop can’t use copyrighted Sennheiser to their tuning name. Sennheiser is (once) located at Wennbostel, with former name “Laboratorium Wennbostel”, so it makes sense.

The Nekocake with Wennbostel (Sennheiser) tuning actually sounds very close to Wan’er! No wonder Wan’er reminded me of Symphony Hall, it’s Sennheiser’s secretive “veil” for their HD650.

Wan’er and Nekocake on Senn’s dose, aren’t the same animal though, Wan’er got more details than Nekocake by both driver’s technicalities and Tuning (some little spiced area around 4-5khz on Wan’er)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #68,503 of 100,635
I really wish i could hear Blessing 2 or Hexa and Etymotic to decide what to buy, both going to fit my taste really well ... Well i find ER4S reptica
IMG_20221209_000317.jpg

45$ for cheaper version (T1), lower impedance, using knowles 26784
60$ for higher version (T2), knowles 29689, lower impedance
60$ aswell for the highest version (T3), using knowles 29689 but 100ohm

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #68,504 of 100,635
I really wish i could hear Blessing 2 or Hexa and Etymotic to decide what to buy, both going to fit my taste really well ... Well i find ER4S reptica

45$ for cheaper version (T1), lower impedance, using knowles 26784
60$ for higher version (T2), knowles 29689, lower impedance
60$ aswell for the highest version (T3), using knowles 29689 but 100ohm
For lower impedance verion, you can also find KBEAR Neon, it uses knowles 29689 full range driver as well. But as you can expect from a single BA’ it’s narrow in dynamics, not necessarily crumpled, but it has limit in information delivery. ER4 uses Knowles 29689 with high impedance adapter pre-attached to it’s cable.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #68,505 of 100,635
For lower impedance verion, you can also find KBEAR Neon, it uses knowles 29689 full range driver as well. But as you can expect from a single BA’ it’s narrow in dynamics, not necessarily crumpled, but it has limit in information delivery.
That exactly the reason why i really want to try these instead of usual hybrid, it's basically full ba set ... Well one ba set i mean. I always wonder how some people really swear by etymotic product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back