The discovery thread!
Dec 8, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #68,506 of 101,027
That exactly the reason why i really want to try these instead of usual hybrid, it's basically full ba set ... Well one ba set i mean. I always wonder how some people really swear by etymotic product.
Not sure exactly which Ety you were looking at but I'd say if you were looking to stay under $100, go for the Hexa. I have the Ety ER2XR, and while they do sound fantastic, the overall fit and finish leaves something to be desired. The Cable tangles easily and it's next to impossible to find an aftermarket cable to replace it. Then, there's the fit ... what can I say that hasn't already been said? It's uncomfortable to say the least. The Hexa is a great alternative for about the same money. I'd even say I prefer the Hexa's sound sig over the Ety. But then again, I haven't used the Etys in a long time for the reasons stated above.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #68,507 of 101,027
That exactly the reason why i really want to try these instead of usual hybrid, it's basically full ba set ... Well one ba set i mean. I always wonder how some people really swear by etymotic product.
Well, from someone who listened ER4 last week, ER4 does have great resolutions as a single BA with one of best liner phasing.

You can expect a very accurate presentation of how ER4 will “picture” sounds. For people value tonal consistency the most, over dynamism and musicality, other technicalities such as layering, ER4 presents one of a kind final product, remember only for high-impedance ones, not low impedance. High-impedance adapter is meant to lower distortion of single BA to sound more lively.

ER4: photo-realistic
1ABF3B87-91CE-4245-8C78-00FE23674643.jpeg

Wu: Hokusai-styled art
7588A1E7-E4B0-47B2-A3C6-03E8FB62DBD4.jpeg

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #68,508 of 101,027
My sweet and humble setup nowadays when the Sza is under burn-in stage!!

SE200 is a fantastic DAP, capable of delivering an exceptional experience every time I listen to it.

Audeze Euclid and 64Audio Duo came into my life 1-2 days apart only, and I am honestly confused even today about which one shall listen more to. On one hand, Euclid delivers impressive resolution, sounds effortless, and delivers an outstanding amount of details while on the other the Duo delivers a juicy lower end!!! Ah, the massive stage that both of these IEMs produce!!!

Coming from the likes of Solaris OG and Monarch MK2, I am super satisfied with the Euclid and Duo. Let me quote another thing, "For the Time Being", I don't know maybe I will find something better tomorrow, because I don't shy away from exploring more.

In my experience so far, my absolute endgames are set at Trailli and Odin, maybe someday I will buy them, until then I am happily exploring this budget category :)
Euclid+Duo.jpg

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #68,509 of 101,027
Well, from someone who listened ER4 last week, ER4 does have great resolutions as a single BA with one of best liner phasing.

You can expect a very accurate presentation of how ER4 will “picture” sounds. For people value tonal consistency the most, over dynamism and musicality, other technicalities such as layering, ER4 presents one of a kind final product, remember only for high-impedance ones, not low impedance. High-impedance adapter is meant to lower distortion of single BA to sound more lively.

1ABF3B87-91CE-4245-8C78-00FE23674643.jpeg

7588A1E7-E4B0-47B2-A3C6-03E8FB62DBD4.jpeg

I consider the ER4XR to be a reference set. Etymotic makes arguably the best tuned single BA phones out there (though Westone may disagree.)

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #68,511 of 101,027

That's exactly what i want to hear, the only problem for me is while the Hexa is good, i don't think it will stand out in long run, i honestly hope not since i still want to buy it however audio just advance too fast that the Hexa might be the first of something (i really think it might be the first of something) so i kinda want to take a step back and buying something first before jump on the hype train.
I would put ER4 picture in my hallway so everyone can see, while Wu is going to be my computer wallpaper, just look at it make me feel sastify :D

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #68,512 of 101,027
Not sure exactly which Ety you were looking at but I'd say if you were looking to stay under $100, go for the Hexa. I have the Ety ER2XR, and while they do sound fantastic, the overall fit and finish leaves something to be desired. The Cable tangles easily and it's next to impossible to find an aftermarket cable to replace it. Then, there's the fit ... what can I say that hasn't already been said? It's uncomfortable to say the least. The Hexa is a great alternative for about the same money. I'd even say I prefer the Hexa's sound sig over the Ety. But then again, I haven't used the Etys in a long time for the reasons stated above.
Right, I mean HEXA is a no-brainer recommendation now, I can’t find anything that could be better in technicalities and tonali consistent IEMs for sub$300, even blessing 2 and dusks are behind because of their traditional slow responding DDs, which creates a separation of tonality among BA and DD.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #68,513 of 101,027
That's exactly what i want to hear, the only problem for me is while the Hexa is good, i don't think it will stand out in long run, i honestly hope not since i still want to buy it however audio just advance too fast that the Hexa might be the first of something (i really think it might be the first of something) so i kinda want to take a step back and buying something first before jump on the hype train.
I would put ER4 picture in my hallway so everyone can see, while Wu is going to be my computer wallpaper, just look at it make me feel sastifying :D
HEXA does standout in long run mate. If you count blessing 2 is a 3 year long run, it still sounds great. If I was told to live with blessing2 forever without any other IEMs, I’m fine with it. And for that HEXA is better tuned than blessing2, it has no 6khz peaks that B2 / dusk has, no edgy harshness to some. It’s not hype, a fair assessment from technical standpoint.
C0CC20BC-A604-4A48-B201-4A51202ED1EB.jpeg
E559967D-3E02-40F9-AC99-363C24B055D3.jpeg

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #68,514 of 101,027
Do you guys get even treble with Etys? Even with deep recommended insertion I still get a strong peak (2SE/XR).
Yea Ety’s curve is meant for human voice, as you can imagine they started as hearing aid. It has some 2.5khz ish huge diffusion firld style peak.

For treble, 2SE nah…4S, yes some. But not enough to satisfy modern IEM needs.

ER4S evaluation:
B9656A4A-60F5-4701-82A5-C31699A04D71.jpeg

It’s that much you can expect from a single BA. But only accuracy of picturing, not much else to say besides that. Maybe resolutions could be a bit higher than “above average” of today’s standard, to “ great” B-class, but not as defined as modern IEMs are capable of.

You can expect excellent positioning/and image focusing as a benefit of tonal consistency of which is a reference class, but very hard to enjoy
Music, at least for me.

But for people with 2.5khz pinna gain, this will do a very very good HRTF simulation as you can expect Ety spent their whole life and passion to make photo-accurate sound.

Also, as I mentioned in W80 midrange accuracy is something that audiophiles desired for many acoustic and classical, piano genre, of which I’ve commented good for monitoring vocal-only recordings, will have an additional note for “mid-range focused tracks”.

4S scores above great line 75/100 for many mid-range & imaging related sector of which I can see if someone with 2.5khz gain spot will consider ER4 as the reference class IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #68,515 of 101,027
HEXA does standout in long run mate. If you count blessing 2 is a 3 year long run, it still sounds great. If I was told to live with blessing2 forever without any other IEMs, I’m fine with it. And for that HEXA is better tuned than blessing2, it has no 6khz peaks that B2 / dusk has, no edgy harshness to some. It’s not hype, a fair assessment from technical standpoint.
Such a long time since i last saw this very well made comparision! Guess i still having an eye on them, maybe just buy both, the only logical choice here.
Well then maybe i should buy hexa after all

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #68,516 of 101,027
Such a long time since i last saw this very well made comparision! Guess i still having an eye on them, maybe just buy both, the only logical choice here.
Yea but remember it’s just one man’s ear with 3,076hZ pinna gain spot. If you have different gain spot, all those scores will differ.

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #68,517 of 101,027
Right, I mean HEXA is a no-brainer recommendation now, I can’t find anything that could be better in technicalities and tonali consistent IEMs for sub$300, even blessing 2 and dusks are behind because of their traditional slow responding DDs, which creates a separation of tonality among BA and DD.

It's interesting to me that you mention the slow responding DD and the DD/BA disparity present in the B2, but you don't mention it being present in the Hexa. I'm not the biggest fan of the B2, but I think the Hexa displays that slow DD/bass which makes it feel like it lags behind the BAs more than the B2 does.

It was one of the first things I noticed about the Hexa and us my biggest criticism of it. I think it's probably something that bothers me more than others because I'm a drummer so the way I listen kind of highlights that disparity. That said, I'm not the only person who has noticed this issue with the Hexa. I will say that I think it's much more forgivable in an $80 set rather than a $300 set.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #68,519 of 101,027
You may consider these then:
ER4S or 4XR ( micro-detail and tonal consistency)
HEXA (balanced micro-detail & macro-dynamism and tonal consistency)
Wu (macro-dynamism with good details as well as tonal consistency)

Wan’er (macro-dynamism)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #68,520 of 101,027

Users who are viewing this thread

Back