The discovery thread!
Oct 30, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #66,332 of 100,407
Just going by HBB’s chart?
Where did you get this information from? If you look at the rendered photos of these drivers, they look different. And what size is indicated, well, I would not compare the identity of the drivers by size :thinking:

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #66,334 of 100,407
If you look at their exposed-view diagrams they are all different: different coils, different number of magents and spacing and likely different diaphargm material, not to mention the different bracket and damper designs. It's good to know that they are not made with the same planar driver, probably by the same OEM maker thou.
If it’s of interest you should try to check out the Michael Bruce’s video tear down of the Wu Zetian.

Super revealing (and destructive) but the tear down shows definite similarities to the Timeless, Hook-X and P1 Max diagrams since the Wu didn’t publish one. They are marketing that it is 14.5mm but the tear down shows it is actually 14.2mm and has equivalent make-up. The Wu and Timeless (from a tear down I saw previously) share the same driver case markings, I was informed that Earbridge are the driver OEM.

His tear down of S12 (through his shortbus mod videos) looked like a similar OEM from the driver casing but hard to see as markings were side down and unlike with the Wu he didn’t tear down the driver also. Again I have been informed that Earbridge are the driver OEM of the 14.8mm driver and this driver is from the same family as the 14.2mm variants.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #66,335 of 100,407
I purchased the GD3C on release but never had the GD3A. I haven't listened to it in months but I remember it being thin with its noteweight, with BA timbre and not especially impressive technically. Tuning is safe and inoffensive. The build and fit can't be beat at the price - light, well contoured and beautifully transparent.

I posted this a little while ago and felt the need to post a follow-up. I pulled the GD3C out of the draw and spent some time with it this afternoon. The note weight is actually very good and the timbre certainly not as bad as I remembered it to be. It's a carefully tuned V shape and it has a lovely, slightly recessed but clear midrange with plenty of sparkle up top. I got the GD3C during a pretty busy time in my life and put the recent lukewarm recollection down to poor memory and not giving it enough time. I hope this helps @o0genesis0o.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #66,336 of 100,407
If it’s of interest you should try to check out the Michael Bruce’s video tear down of the Wu Zetian.

Super revealing (and destructive) but the tear down shows definite similarities to the Timeless, Hook-X and P1 Max diagrams since the Wu didn’t publish one. They are marketing that it is 14.5mm but the tear down shows it is actually 14.2mm and has equivalent make-up. The Wu and Timeless (from a tear down I saw previously) share the same driver case markings, I was informed that Earbridge are the driver OEM.

His tear down of S12 (through his shortbus mod videos) looked like a similar OEM from the driver casing but hard to see as markings were side down and unlike with the Wu he didn’t tear down the driver also. Again I have been informed that Earbridge are the driver OEM of the 14.8mm driver and this driver is from the same family as the 14.2mm variants.

Indeed, i think their very few big planar manufacturer in China.
Get confirmation for trustable source that 7HZ, Zetian, Hook X (their surely more) indeed use same driver supplier.
New planar 2.0 driver fro this supplier will be used by lot of chifi companies too.

Thing is that brand can patent a tech and make it manufacture by big supplier too, SPD Kinera driver is good example, its manufacture by Bellsing but patent by Kinera R&D. Seekreal and even TRN use them now.

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #66,337 of 100,407
@Dsnuts Hey you trolling a certain user with your new profile pic? :joy: Btw. would it be possible for you to get your hands on the new Ikko OH5, please? You reviewed the OH1S once.
That dude. Ignore is a lovely thing but you still see every post by the fella as people quote his non sensical posts. In any case Ikko has not reached out to me for a review of them. With the OH5 being a flagship level release I am sure they will hand pick a few folks to do reviews for them. In the mean while I am busy as ever. Can't turn out my reviews fast enough. Currently working on the Simgot EM2R.
DSC00404.JPG

Carbon nanotube based IEMs have a soft spot in my heart as it was JVC that came up with the first carbon nanotube IEM in the FX40. Which I still own of 10 years. These share similar tonality and timbre from the JVCs but also include a single Knowles BA handling the treble in the nozzle. Treble in the nozzle thing is debatable if that causes any issues or not. I think it all comes down to tuning more than anything. In any case. These aren't as good as the current reviews seem to think but they aren't bad either. They have a v shaped tuning with a bit much upper mid gain. Folks that are sensitive to forward vocals will be sensitive to this one. Its technicals are good at the price level but beyond the sound of them, the very annoying stiff squirely ear guides just put a damper on these. HATE is a strong word but the cables that these things come with are about as annoying as it gets as these tangles every time I take them out of the case due to them skinny arse wires and a stiff ear guide. Not a fan of the protruding 2 pin design either. This one is riddled with hits and misses. Ultimately the sound is decent at the price and has some excellent detail retrieval for the bux. These would make for good vocal monitors actually due to the forward vocal presentation on them. Pod cast, audio books and vocal music, if you like your vocals front and center that is. In any case. I summed up my review pretty much in this paragraph but will be posting a review about this one soon. Anyone interested in these they have a bit of a discount going on their amazon sales page in the US. https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_166715064205311&key=1e99669452acedd7650a94861c9354cb&libId=l9vm36pc0101zlp1000DL66529f4i&loc=https://www.head-fi.org/conversations/review-invitation-from-simgot-audio.3063996/page-2#convMessage-8952935&v=1&out=https://amzn.to/3WmiTia?tag=headfi-20&ref=https://www.head-fi.org/&title=Review Invitation From Simgot Audio. | Page 2 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org&txt=https://amzn.to/3WmiTia 5% discount code YPAO78PT

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #66,338 of 100,407
I posted this a little while ago and felt the need to post a follow-up. I pulled the GD3C out of the draw and spent some time with it this afternoon. The note weight is actually very good and the timbre certainly not as bad as I remembered it to be. It's a carefully tuned V shape and it has a lovely, slightly recessed but clear midrange with plenty of sparkle up top. I got the GD3C during a pretty busy time in my life and put the recent lukewarm recollection down to poor memory and not giving it enough time. I hope this helps @o0genesis0o.

Thanks mate! Perhaps after serratus, I’ll be back to IEM game and grab something from GSAudio. The funny thing is even their own subjective assessment charts show that some of their expensive products are not as good as cheaper ones in their line up. I’m curious about the GD3C as well as the multi drivers one on the SD line.

Indeed, i think their very few big planar manufacturer in China.
Get confirmation for trustable source that 7HZ, Zetian, Hook X (their surely more) indeed use same driver supplier.
New planar 2.0 driver fro this supplier will be used by lot of chifi companies too.

Thing is that brand can patent a tech and make it manufacture by big supplier too, SPD Kinera driver is good example, its manufacture by Bellsing but patent by Kinera R&D. Seekreal and even TRN use them now.

I thought the original manufacturer (inventor?) of the 14.x drivers is a Korean company?

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #66,339 of 100,407
OK folks. This is the discovery thread. We discover new stuff in the discovery thread. Here is a fantastic new discovery for me.
DSC00410.JPG
MEAOES EAGLE

MEAOES stands for multiple audio experiences.
The Eagle model shown here specs as follows

2BA+7.5mm dynamic +8mm Dynamic.
Sensitivity 103dbs
Frequency 20hz-40Khz
Impedance 10 Ohm
Cable. Crystal copper modular cable with 3.5mm,2.5mm and 4.4mm plugs

So here is a bit of news. While this brand may seem new to you and me. MEAOES is the new company started by former HIFI BOYs fame. Yes, that's right. Hifi Boys are no longer in business. The name has changed but the quality has not. The new EAGLE is a dual + dual hybrid. Two BAs with two different dynamics. This configuration seems to be what is hot nowadays.

But as you all know it is all about the integration of the hybrid formula. What is being used on the Eagle is interesting mix of drivers. Two completely different dynamics for one.

8mm dome ceramic diaphragm handling the bass duties + 7.5mm titanium dome diaphragm handling the very important mids + two BAs working for that treble.

The Eagle sounds like a mild v shaped tuning, a broad wider stage for IEMs with excellent musicality, very nicely done natural smoother tonal character with excellent details across the entire sound it produces. Vocals are outstanding on the Eagles and they seem to have a moderate pinna gain. Very natural in tonality and its technicals are a standout. I am surprised to see a newer type of modular cables with these as well.

The balancing for its presentation is excellent and has superb dynamic qualities to its sound. Very good bass quality, with a moderate effective bass quantity. I think the surprising aspect to the bass presentation is just how textured the bass end is. Ceramic dynamic? Trebles sound clean, extended and not forced yet clearly detailed and sounds more like it is tuned to enhance the mids performance than anything that stands out. Well balanced, safe in its tuning but highly enjoyable.

The overall sound presentation has an addictive liquid quality to it, could be that titanium dome dynamic and its presentation of timbre for the mids talking to me. Its sound quality is without a doubt outstanding. We have yet another contender in the hybrid realm folks, and it comes with a new name and a new hybrid design. Just in time for 11.11 and the holidays. This is one hybrid to keep a watch on as these sound way better than what they will be selling these things for.
I’m in.

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #66,340 of 100,407
I’m in.
Once I get the green light, I will reveal more info on the MEAOES Eagle and its price. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised at the price these will be going for. These have been one of the bigger surprises for me all year actually. Folks that take a premium to dynamic sound presentations, accurate timbre and an effortless sound quality. these are outstanding. Will have more to say about them soon.

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #66,341 of 100,407
DSC00486.JPG

That saying when it rains it pours. Dunu Talos is Dunus first planar+BA. Believe it or not unlike some of you all that got the pokemon craze for Planars. These are my first planars since the Tri I3. The Talos with the new Fiio K7 amp was a marriage that I was not expecting. Planar craze is in full effect I suppose that opens up more combinations for added variations on drivers. I would have loved to see Dunu do a planar and dynamic for bass more than BA for treble but hey I suppose adding a treble BA with a switch will prevent them from redoing the Talos with a pro name just to add a bit of treble emphasis on the new Pro version. You get the Talos and the pro version all in one. I like that progressive thinking.

Jokes aside. These are tuned a bit like the Titan S but with a planar. Neutral slightly bright. Sounds very good on an powerful source. These are on my review cue next. On and on it goes.

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #66,342 of 100,407
CCA CXS official graph, with bold claim which kz/cca kinda leans to nowadays

---
and CCA HM20 additional details
We also have early impression from one dude i don't know in youtube, so take it with grain of salt, but apparently the mids is not as resseced as the graph might shown. possibly the big bass is they try to compensate from the semi open back? but it have sound tubes.....
---

regarding that patented DD structure, apparently we have SGOR Venus which seems to have similar to EDA driver and tuning, even the some of flaws(according to akros). SGOR somewhat improve upon it but confirmed to have no connection to KZ and KZ rep basically said XUN derivative is in the open market now. hence, the need immediate need to make patented XUN-3rd gen.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #66,343 of 100,407
Will add Mangrid Tea later, the lukewarm rating for Tea was mainly due to its poor made stock cable that makes Tea so pale and plain /flat narrow ranged. I rolled like 10 cables ranging from PW Audio’s super high-end to Tripowin Zonie, Tea matches very well with Linsoul’s LSC08.
Whoa hey AmericanSpirit~! its been awhile.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #66,345 of 100,407
CCA CXS official graph, with bold claim which kz/cca kinda leans to nowadays

---
and CCA HM20 additional details

We also have early impression from one dude i don't know in youtube, so take it with grain of salt, but apparently the mids is not as resseced as the graph might shown. possibly the big bass is they try to compensate from the semi open back? but it have sound tubes.....
---

regarding that patented DD structure, apparently we have SGOR Venus which seems to have similar to EDA driver and tuning, even the some of flaws(according to akros). SGOR somewhat improve upon it but confirmed to have no connection to KZ and KZ rep basically said XUN derivative is in the open market now. hence, the need immediate need to make patented XUN-3rd gen.
The Audio-Technica ATH-IEX1 is such a random and useless comparison.

It's a very obscure IEM from memory which was panned by Crinacle, presumably because the FR looks broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back