The discovery thread!
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #65,446 of 106,632
How good is KATO, technically? Is it close to Blessing 2? From the review of Precog, I have the impression that it is not that good, still plagued by the over dampening (pillowy bass, slightly mushy note attacks)

Well comparing different transducers (single DD like KATO versus a hybrid Blessing 2) is gonna be an apples to oranges comparison as the different transducers have their own pros and cons.

But FWIW, the KATO is definitely inferior to the Blessing 2 in technicalities (agree with @RikudouGoku ), but the Blessing 2 has a less natural timbral accuracy than the KATO. So depends what you prioritize more for the music.

Even among midFI single DDs, the KATO is not class leading in technicalities. Stuff like the Tanchjim Oxygen beat the KATO in technicalities.

So, I made a right choice not to buy it :dt880smile:

Btw: Oi, it’s you! I have read your posts here and there since my first days in this hobby. i bought FD5 because your comments. We finally “meet”

Speaking technical performance, have anyone tried Hidizs MD4? I am putting it through its pace. Super impressive resolution and effective tuning switches. I haven’t had such fun with an IEM for a while.

The Hidizs MD4 is indeed very technically proficient, with tuning switches to change the sound signature.
I think it can be a good stage monitor as such, as it has great isolation too.

Hidizs MD4 Switches.jpg

Graphs pf the Hidizs MD4 via IEC711 compliant coupler. Measurements above 10 kHz are not accurate.

My beef with the Hidizs MD4 is the BA bass is quite unnatural, lacking movement of air and extension. So there are some tonal flaws, and it can be shouty on some switches. There's also BA timbre and it is quite fussy for source pairing (based on audiophile rules of 8ths) due to the low impedance of 8 ohm.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #65,447 of 106,632
Well comparing different transducers (single DD like KATO versus a hybrid Blessing 2) is gonna be an apples to oranges comparison as the different transducers have their own pros and cons.

But FWIW, the KATO is definitely inferior to the Blessing 2 in technicalities (agree with @RikudouGoku ), but the Blessing 2 has a less natural timbral accuracy than the KATO. So depends what you prioritize more for the music.

Even among midFI single DDs, the KATO is not class leading in technicalities. Stuff like the Tanchjim Oxygen beat the KATO in technicalities.

The Hidizs MD4 is indeed very technically proficient, with tuning switches to change the sound signature.
I think it can be a good stage monitor as such, as it has great isolation too.

Graphs pf the Hidizs MD4 via IEC711 compliant coupler. Measurements above 10 kHz are not accurate.

My beef with the Hidizs MD4 is the BA bass is quite unnatural, lacking movement of air and extension. So there are some tonal flaws, and it can be shouty on some switches. There's also BA timbre and it is quite fussy for source pairing (based on audiophile rules of 8ths) due to the low impedance of 8 ohm.

Yup, low impedance but not very sensitive, not as easy to pair as one would expect.

BA bass is what it is. Tight and “clean” but quite textureless. I found bass resolution falls behind the rest of the frequencies. Not very inspiring in the bass region. I miss my FF3 :dt880smile:

Funny that you mention shouty. I personally don’t hear shoutiness (I managed to enjoy Ed Sheeran’s “equal” album with MD4, so no upper midrange problem to me), but any setting with the first switch on is unbearably boxy and stuffy to me. Luckily there is no metallic tint to the sound. I’m still shocked by how resolving and flexible this set is. Since Dunu SA4 is taking forever, I can fill in the “full BA daily driver” gap with this one.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #65,448 of 106,632
New TRN single DD:

The MT3. Titanium 10 mm DD

309863109_427374462839200_4164338407890053933_n.jpg

Is that you Tangzu Shimin Li?

Capture.JPG

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #65,449 of 106,632
New TRN single DD:

The MT3. Titanium 10 mm DD

309863109_427374462839200_4164338407890053933_n.jpg

Is that you Tangzu Shimin Li?

Capture.JPG
how dare you ! Shimin Li uses hexagons and are obviously bee themed, whereas the MT3 uses triangles and is an obvious reference to Deus Ex!
Joke aside, they sure do look quite similar. The Shimin Li is supposed to use a single DD using N52 neodymium magnets, I don't think the material used for the diaphragm was ever mentioned, but they're quite good for the price, if you're looking for something bright.
I'm new to this hobby but afaik, TRN most recent products were quite good for the price, so maybe another good addition to the single DD catalogue, which does feel really competitive due to some recent additions like the Salnotes Zero.

Sep 29, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #65,451 of 106,632
Hi all! I am new here. Thanks for having me. Any recommendations for $50usd? Maybe planars?
most if not all planar are over that price barrier, with one exception, the Kinera Celest Gumiho which is priced at $49 +taxes but is using a different and simpler planar technology.
That being said, the "under $50" segment isn't lacking in options, and maybe you could tell us about what you're going to use the IEMs for ?
Also maybe your favorite music genres ?

Sep 29, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #65,452 of 106,632
most if not all planar are over that price barrier, with one exception, the Kinera Celest Gumiho which is priced at $49 +taxes but is using a different and simpler planar technology.
That being said, the "under $50" segment isn't lacking in options, and maybe you could tell us about what you're going to use the IEMs for ?
Also maybe your favorite music genres ?
thank you. I think maybe I want to up my budget and get the new Moondrop. Maybe $50usd not enough thanks!

Sep 29, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #65,453 of 106,632
Sep 29, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #65,455 of 106,632
Sep 29, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #65,457 of 106,632
Damned autotranslation problem.
Maybe soynd decay?

I wasn't trying to correct you, I just hadn't heard the term afterglow used before. I think you're right and you're referring to decay. Thanks for clarifying!

Sorry I can't help with the comparison you were looking for.

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #65,458 of 106,632
Kato tech is on the Titan S level to me. Far away from the B2.
And yeah, it might be overdampened for some, lacking in dynamics and texture overall.
I have Kato, Blessing 2 and Titan S in my collection and I would agree with your assessment 100% - the Kato is not a technical marvel like the Blessing 2 is.

Sep 29, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #65,460 of 106,632
So, I made a right choice not to buy it :dt880smile:

Unfortunately the right decision is usually not to buy it. Even if the new shiny thing is the "best", in this hobby it will remain there for a very short space of time. Too easy to keep blowing cash on tiny incremental improvements that are barely discernable!

My wallet doesn't believe in my sincerity. It keeps raising the point that I have three IEMs and four cables in the mail! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back