The discovery thread!
Aug 2, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #64,066 of 100,709
Several points to make in one post, hopefully for a shorter message, touching on Dioko, AS16 pro and KZ in general, and a HeadFi engagement factor.

1. Dioko. I am a bit surprised not to see more discussions. From my earier posted impressions, I worked to learn more and to appreciate the tuning and planars, and I feel that I got a lot out of it.
Dioko will serve as my good reference for "extreme U" with its lean bass and spiky last octave.

Most important discovery that came through my experience with Dioko and I would like to share - that the last octave (8 to 16 kHz) where Dioko has a quite strong peak works differently for different recordings.
Specifically, for electronically produced music - this last octave can sound very engaging and revealing and to bring the shimmer and impression of "layering".
Not so for accoustically recorded music peoduced with real microphones.
Well, some clasical (older) recording of music (including "golden audiophiles" ones, as I learned in Science forum) have almost nothing above 8 kHz to avoid hiss and often tapered above 4 kHz. For those recordings, no information - no difference.
Yet, for acoustic recordings done through space properly (and experiencing all the real-life limitations) and with the higher treble perfectly preserved, it was a revelation to hear overemphasized hiss, including in the voice tracks of Chesky disks, so Dioko peaks at 10+ kHz prominently do not work, while again doing a good (or amazing) job for most electronically recorded music.

2. KZ AS16 pro. Perhaps, tuning with a higher impedance was a blessing for warmer more engaging sound profile that departed further from the drier and more revealing original AS16. I am happy that it worked well for KZ. I am still very much amazed at the price. The original AS16 were above $100, and I was ready to buy pro at this price as a unconditional KZ fan. Well, perhaps AS16 pro can become the real "price butcher".
What I would like to point out that AS16 pro is not any random hit for KZ, but the logical development based on AS16 (most of the drivers are the same, etc) and also BA10 were close 3+ years ago (and if you are ready to work with equalizers and use revealing sources, AST are great).

Yet, to make this point again: the "KZ drama" or " history" was largely in the hyped minds of drama makers. All drivers were connected, it was clearly (though quietly) acknowledged that the measurements fuelling the hype cannot serve as an evidence. Some of those contributing to the hype (in my subjective impression) are now using 40-50 Ohm resistors to BAs, learning from KZ, I guess... (Prior to this, there were claims that those drivers "doing nothing").

3. HeadFi is an amazing and unique place, and grabs a lot of time and money. While the latter I can readonably manage, the time becomes too much for me, and I knew I have to take some break rather than trying to make and to test different IEMs with a variable balance impedance adapter (I had all the parts) and getting other IEMs. My last three: ESX, Dioko and AS16 pro were all very nice experience, so I will try my best just to stay contained and restrained :)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #64,067 of 100,709
D8C9BB43-4D5D-4C43-B767-E167584C0625.jpeg

Snagged these at a deep discount on Amazon. Oh look, it’s a Sony Walkman! How does it sound? Like a transistor radio. But when your exercise regimen involves a daily swim for 40min, the sound of a transistor radio-quality pair of waterproof IEMs is better than nothing :)

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #64,068 of 100,709
I am not sure if you are saying goodbye thus withdrawing from Head-fi. It appears to me to be a veiled goodbye.

Either way I would say this: regardless of my run-ins with you, I have great admiration for your wealth of knowledge, your desire to research specifics and draw your conclusions, showing endless capacity to engage your intellect and inform those of us who take the time read what you have to say indepth. I take the time to read your posts because I believe you have a lot to give. True intellect is the ability to ask yourself the right questions and seek the right answers, and you do.

My last three: ESX, Dioko and AS16 pro were all very nice experience, so I will try my best just to stay contained and restrained :)

I am sure most would not want you "contained" but "restrained", I would be at the forefront of that request. That request would be to ask you (given you are the only one who can restrain Phonophi) to restrain your occassional unbridled belligerence, where your aggression is felt but your message is lost in the process.

Whether you are retiring from active participation on Head-fi or not, I hope you take this for what it is, not a dig at you but rather, my admiration for your knowledge and intellectual capacity.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #64,069 of 100,709
After toying with the ESX for the past couple of days, I slipped my A4000s back on and immediately remembered why I fell in love with these in the first place. Resolving, detailed, crisp, airy, holographic, every vocal nuance is represented with clarity and delicacy; nothing is ever too sharp or fatiguing. All this for only $150, accomplished with a single dynamic driver. Awesome.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #64,070 of 100,709

graph.png

Just couldn't help but notice the similarity here.

Wonder if both are similar enough that most would pick the Zero simply because of 2-pin vs Chu's hardwired.

I'd personally pick the Zero simply because of less treble (but it wouldn't surprise me if most disagree hard on this one)

But what worries me the most is the fit of the Zero's very unusual shape.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #64,071 of 100,709
TRI sent me a review unit of the TRI x HBB KAI.

At this point I ought to say I am not a big fan of collaborations between reviewers and manufacturers. As much as I see collaborations as pushing the bar upwards, in my view it raises issues of potential conflicts of interest.

Back to the Kai, they have a nice metal feel but light, too much gold can be just that, too much gold, but with the two tone faceplate somehow overall they are not bad looking.

Simple packaging, which is essentially the TRI faux leather case in a box just large enough to fit the case. Cable, cleaning cloth, brush and tips. The two-pin, single ended two strand twisted cable, is good looking and effective.

20220802_094642.jpg

The emphasis has been on the bass, which (less than 2 hours listening time) has a mid-bass bias but not bad at all. Mids are only slightly recessed. For me the treble is very interesting, great extension on the treble and incredibly satisfying for a set of IEMs at the $70 mark. The least expensive TRI (if the I4 has been discontinued).

KBEAR Little Q
The surprise I had is KBEAR's Little Q, bullet shaped IEMs with a non-detachable rather like the Final E500. The Little Q has a 6mm composite diaphragm driver which sounds surprisingly good, plenty clean bass and nice but recessed mids and good amount of information coming from the highs. All in all, not bad at all for less than $20.

20220802_094302.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #64,073 of 100,709

At this point I ought to say I am not a big fan of collaborations between reviewers and manufacturers. As much as I see collaborations as pushing the bar upwards, in my view it raises issues of potential conflicts of interest.

Back to the Kai, they have a nice metal feel but light, too much gold can be just that, too much gold, but with the two tone faceplate somehow overall they are not bad looking.

Simple packaging, which is essentially the TRI faux leather case in a box just large enough to fit the case. Cable, cleaning cloth, brush and tips. The two-pin, single ended two strand twisted cable, is good looking and effective.

20220802_094642.jpg

The emphasis has been on the bass, which (less than 2 hours listening time) has a mid-bass bias but not bad at all. Mids are only slightly recessed. For me the treble is very interesting, great extension on the treble and incredibly satisfying for a set of IEMs at the $70 mark. The least expensive TRI (if the I4 has been discontinued).

KBEAR Little Q
The surprise I had is KBEAR's Little Q, bullet shaped IEMs with a non-detachable rather like the Final E500. The Little Q has a 6mm composite diaphragm driver which sounds surprisingly good, plenty clean bass and nice but recessed mids and good amount of information coming from the highs. All in all, not bad at all for less than $20.

20220802_094302.jpg
The Kai had me interested, but I decided to go with the Salnotes Zero for the $20.00 spend. If the Salnotes lives up to the hype, then i'll be fine with it, but if not, I might dip my toes into the Kai? Not sure? We'll see how the Zero's answer the bell?

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #64,074 of 100,709
I resisted buying new gear for 8 months, which has been the longest stretch for me in over a decade, but I still logged into Headfi. I used to think I didn't have the will power, but I surprised myself. The trio of DUNU EST 112, 7HZ Timeless, and Hifiman RE800 silver have just been so satisfying, I haven't been tempted with cheapos or side grades. Throw in the NICE HCK NX7 MkIII's, and I've managed to avoid a purchase until...yesterday! I bit on the Salnotes Zero, and i'm excited to hear if the soundstage and imaging hype is substantiated?

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #64,075 of 100,709

20220802_094642.jpg

KBEAR Little Q

20220802_094302.jpg

The TRI I4 used to hop in and out of my shopping basket. It's gone now.

TRI KAI is on the way! I have a weakness for single DDs, HBB's tuning, and TRI IEMs. Took a long time to make that decision ... minutes maybe?

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #64,076 of 100,709
I chat with @DannyBai on a daily basis. Guy is not as active as he was but he is around. Was playing this game with him last night. If your a gamer. You need to play this.
scroll to the midde of this vid to see what this is all about. It is too much fun.

Haha, my new favorite thing to do lately is play this game with Ds. So much fun and keeps the mind away from thinking about the troubles of the world for a couple hours. Take it out on some fast moving zombies.
I’m still buying what Ds recommends to me. Penon Vortex is a masterpiece dynamic. So fun and detailed. My favorite earphone so far this year. Moonlight is something special also. Peace to all the discovery people. Music through some good earphones is good for the soul.

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #64,077 of 100,709
I find the best way not to spend money is to completely avoid head-fi, maybe others are doing the same!

I keep telling myself one more IEM, one more IEM...then I'm going take break from Head-Fi for six months...

It's been almost since six months!

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #64,078 of 100,709
The 8 months streak is over! After the longest non-buy dry spell in a decade, I decided to toss $20.00 at the 7HZ Salnotes Zero and see if it can replace the DQ6 as my budget daily beater. By budget I mean anything under $50.00. I use several IEM's that are over the $50.00 mark, and keep my ears audibly happy, but typically I only use the DQ6 when I "slum" with the budget segment (I used to use the Moondrop Crescent, but those suffer from the channel imbalance too often), or the Sony MH755 when I'm in the mood to tolerate the cable. But with all the reviews mentioning the excellent stage and holographic imaging, I figured for $20.00? Why not? But that's it! Look for another long drought to follow! My top 3 are so hard to beat!
I spent a long while with the Zero today! You will not be disappointed!

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #64,080 of 100,709
So, BGVP Zero, 7Hz Salnotes Zero, Truthear x Crinacle Zero, Tanchjim Zero...

It got confusing quite quickly didn't it. On that note, I have both the Salnotes Zero and the Tanchjim Zero on the way. The Tanchjim Zero was only $10 with an AliE voucher from Shenzhen Audio. Looking forward to them both, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back