The discovery thread!
Jul 17, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #63,811 of 106,544
QCY is pretty well known in budget TWS.
along with Soundpeats, FIIL, and Soundpeats.

Is its that good? its pretty at the top of recommened budget tws
the last tws i bought is Soundpeats Mini for my sis, its sound decent
I been out of the game for awhile. The last one i bought was the AS10 when it was first released. Not much of a reviewer but the but i would describe it as musically bright with pretty good bass if that makes sense. But yeah for $20 its really really good imo but tad silibant. Fits my preference imo.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #63,812 of 106,544
Sorry for the late reply, had a hectic time graduating.
You mention that you tried a few things to make the Shimin Li, come out of its shell (words to that effect, unless misunderstood). I wonder if you have tried some other DAC/Amps. I am not in the position to dispute, argue or even agree with what you say, quite apart from the fact that I do not have the Heart Mirror, but I want to understand whether, from your point of view, DAC/Amps have had any influence on the tone and presentation of the sound on Shimin Li for you. I ask this question because that is my experience in the few hours I have had the Shimin Li.
I have found that there is some differences with the source and I have been switching between my warmer sources like the AP80 Pro and G7, and the neutral sources like my X7 Mk.II and TK-2. But the difference isn't that much bigger than what it would be for any other IEM I own. More power does improve things but not to anywhere near the same amount as it does with the Heart Mirror.

Also I would like your take on this live recording of Schindler’s List by the NL Orchestra, which sounds absolutely brilliant with the instruments sounding natural to me, listening on a couple of DAC/Amps. However, the same piece, not live, on a class AB DAC/Amp, is more clinical and has much better resolution but the instruments did not sound quite as natural to my ears.

By the way, I stuck with the white wide bore tips so far. I would appreciate your view.

I'm using the white wide bore tips as well, they work the best for me atm.

While it's not a song that I'm familliar with I've had a few listens to it. I didn't get any hollow sound in the mids and it's indeed natural sounding over all. It has that live orchestra magic and the Shimin Li does convey that nicely. The violin sounds nice with a good tone to it, not too thin or too thick. Being a YT video it has some limitations in outright quality but that's to be expected.

I've had to look through my library as I have a 24-96 recording of Renaud Capuçon Warner classics studio session version of this song. It sounds nice and full on the Shimin Li, tonal accuracy is good without any real issues. The resolution is better without losing much of what makes a full orchestral recording magical. The lead violin does have more presence here compared to the NL Orcherstra version which can occasionally overpower other instruments.

I wil say I haven't been using the Shimin Li much as of late, having gotten the TRN TA1 Max last week.

On a sad note, it seems like my TK-2 has stopped working. :sob:
It won't turn on or charge.

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #63,813 of 106,544
Sorry for the late reply, had a hectic time graduating.

I have found that there is some differences with the source and I have been switching between my warmer sources like the AP80 Pro and G7, and the neutral sources like my X7 Mk.II and TK-2. But the difference isn't that much bigger than what it would be for any other IEM I own. More power does improve things but not to anywhere near the same amount as it does with the Heart Mirror.

I'm using the white wide bore tips as well, they work the best for me atm.

While it's not a song that I'm familliar with I've had a few listens to it. I didn't get any hollow sound in the mids and it's indeed natural sounding over all. It has that live orchestra magic and the Shimin Li does convey that nicely. The violin sounds nice with a good tone to it, not too thin or too thick. Being a YT video it has some limitations in outright quality but that's to be expected.

I've had to look through my library as I have a 24-96 recording of Renaud Capuçon Warner classics studio session version of this song. It sounds nice and full on the Shimin Li, tonal accuracy is good without any real issues. The resolution is better without losing much of what makes a full orchestral recording magical. The lead violin does have more presence here compared to the NL Orcherstra version which can occasionally overpower other instruments.

I wil say I haven't been using the Shimin Li much as of late, having gotten the TRN TA1 Max last week.

On a sad note, it seems like my TK-2 has stopped working. :sob:
It won't turn on or charge.

Thanks for a very thorough and extensive feedback, I really appreciate it.

I am also tempted by the TA1 Max which has been in my cart on AliExpress for a couple of weeks.

I am sorry to hear that your TRI TK-2 has packed up, KAEI (the manufacturer) generally has a good reputation for making good quality products. You should still be in the warranty period, maybe TRI or KAEI would have a dealer near you who can sort it out for you instead of having to send it all the way back to China. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and I hope it is an unusual issue which can be quickly resolved. I dread the thought that my TK-2 could be next.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #63,817 of 106,544
Not sure if portable on-ears are welcome here, seeing that the thread is focusing on IEMs, but nothing about the thread says explicitly otherwise.

Iv'e been on a journey to find the perfect on ear portable solution as of late. I've tried all the likings from Koss, and as far as I'm concerned they're by far the best sounding/most portable: especially for their sub $40 prices. The only problem with them whether they be the KPH30i or the KSC75 is build quality. Without fail, every single headphone eventually falls apart. Some last months, others only a matter of weeks. Sleeping with them is an absolute no, for the aforementioned point.

Looking around, I found a few alternatives that I think are undercooked these days, where on-ears for the most part have seem to have gone out of fashion with most niece audiences.

While I normally despise the sound of Beyer headphones, their on ears are far from unpleasant compared from their larger brothers. I've tried 2 variants, but currently own a pair of t51p. They seem to be quite the hidden gem, and their status as a "lost headphone" nets them a clean sub $100 price point secondhand. One of the nicest built headphones iv'e purchased at any price point, and should be given a good look.

A more well known yet slept on headphone is the SENNHEISER momentum. Yes, I know the "momentum" line is far from unheard of, but personally I'm not really a huge fan outside of aesthetics for the most part. That exception is the momentum on ear variant. The on ear momentum doesn't suffer from the sound that plagues the over ear or in ear headphone line, is quite sturdy, and looks just as sexy as the rest. Probably the worst sounding of the bunch, but not to make it out as a bad headphone by any means.
This thread used to have headphones all the time. They just kinda faded for some reason? When FAD or AT or Grado or JVC were the talk of the town, the cans got a lot of play here, but eventually the emphasis went away and IEM's because the main holy grail search both in the megabuck and budget markets and everything in between. So headphones are welcomed.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #63,818 of 106,544
SoftEars Turii are the best single-dynamic driver IEMs I have ever heard. I can't find a single fault in terms of tonality or technicalities, these are that good. Three months in, and I just try to find an excuse to listen to them every single day.

IMG_9593.jpg

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #63,819 of 106,544
SoftEars Turii are the best single-dynamic driver IEMs I have ever heard. I can't find a single fault in terms of tonality or technicalities, these are that good. Three months in, and I just try to find an excuse to listen to them every single day.

IMG_9593.jpg
How much?

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #63,823 of 106,544
Looks like they run about $2,300USD.
WOW! Another megabuck single dynamic? PASS THAT DUTCHIE TO THE LEFT HAND SIDE! Fast! Have fun with that left hand side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back