The discovery thread!
Jun 20, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #63,466 of 99,942
Jun 20, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #63,468 of 99,942
BQEYZ está disponível para comprar agora, alguém vai fazer isso?

my bad, Topaz!

Ah the Topaz, I think we have to wait for some first adopter reviews, as it was just launched.

Speaking about BQEYZ, their last model, the BQEYZ Autumn, is quite a nice midFI single DD set with an innovative magnetic swappable filter design. You just place the magnetic stick thing near the filter and it will attract the filter out. No need to screw things on which takes time and may also cause wear and tear.

BQEYZ_Autumn_Magnetic_Tool.jpg

BQEYZ_Autumn.jpg

Graph of the Autumn via IEC711 compliant coupler. The 8 kHz area is a coupler artefact peak.

The tuning filters here work, and ain't gimmicks. While the filters appear to only affect the bass region on graphs, the ears perceive the entire frequency spectrum as a whole, so changes in the bass will cause a "see saw" effect on the treble region and vice versa.

The grey filters (AKA bass filters) give a V-shaped sound signature. Bass is just a level shy of bona fide basshead levels.
The gold filters (AKA balanced) are the default filters, and provide a U-shaped balanced sound, as per its namesake and is probably the most all-rounded configuration that most folks should appreciate.
The silver filters (AKA treble filters) give a cold neutral tuning with added clarity and micro-details with a neutral bass.

Micro-details are above average, though there might be some multi BA/hybrid competitors with better resolution at this price point. Soundstage on the BQEYZ Autumn is excellent, with good height and width. This aids instrument separation with no congestion noted even on busy tracks. Imaging is decent but not class-leading.

The Autumn have good instrumental timbre, and are quite solid in build.

Some nitpicks are: the Autumn has an occasional glare at the 5 kHz region, and scales better with amping (impedance is a bit high for an IEM at 46 ohms). Isolation is also below average.

Compared to some midFI single DD luminaries, the Tanchjim Oxygen have better technicalities and resolution, but is more expensive and has a poorer fit (short nozzles). Note weight is also thinner on the Oxygen. The Autumn are slightly better than the Moondrop KATO in terms of technicalities, and the 3 tuning options give more versatility than the 2 screw on nozzle configs on the KATO (which are very subtle changes in sound signature).

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #63,469 of 99,942
BQEYZ está disponível para comprar agora, alguém vai fazer isso?

my bad, Topaz!
It has the same driver configuration as the KZ ZEX, which is kind of interesting. It looks handsome enough, too.

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #63,472 of 99,942
Jun 21, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #63,475 of 99,942
Hidizs MD4 graph with various switches. Listening impressions to follow later:
Hidizs MD4 Switches.jpg
Via IEC711 compliant coupler.

Tangzu Shimin Li graph:
Tangzu Shimin Li.jpg
Via IEC711 compliant coupler. The 8 kHz area is a coupler artefact peak.

Is squeezing more peaks in, really a good way to smooth out your FR?

By contrast the Shimin Li graph looks really nice. :L3000:

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #63,477 of 99,942
So a boring planar?

A planar that emphasises technical proficiency with a clean tuning. Some might say boring yes...:wink: I just want to see what the technical limit is of this planar IEM driver that's doing the rounds and I think Moondrop could bring that out.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #63,478 of 99,942
Jun 21, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #63,479 of 99,942
Very wonky FRs, the MD4 is dead on arrival if it sounds like this.
I can't really criticise you, because I don't really like these FRs either. But sound and FRs don't always go hand in hand. Even the same FR (as it happens with NF Audio NM2+ and NA2+) doesn't sound the same. The drivers and their technical capabilities have the last word.
I haven't tested them much, but I'm surprised, I hear them better than their FR's. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back