The discovery thread!
Mar 26, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #62,177 of 101,572
I believe it is a KZ sub-brand, the cable and eartips follow the KZ pattern (you can see it in the photos in the reviews).
I'm just not convinced. It might take some sort of business press release announcing the new sub brand to convince me.

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #62,178 of 101,572
Seems more TRN to me

Mar 27, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #62,179 of 101,572
Today we look at an very budget friendly IEM from Fiio, the JD3. Article by @nanotechnos
https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-jd3-review/

chrome_2022-03-27_10-17-43.png

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #62,181 of 101,572
New KZ sub brand? Do all drivers work now?
Sf15ef6fd3399440ab52b8456b9f1c137t.jpg

S05df75218ff14aa2ba5276bf5dd3cc8fr.jpg

S1b97f88e9e18461f9b57730a57ddc7aeN.jpg
That LF-4 looks kinda interesting, might pick one up on the 28th. Don't think they're related to KZ though, probably just the same OEM.

If they are cheap and sound good, i'll buy all three. Especially the dual DD.
As far as I can tell the images in AliExpress show that the quoted driver count is the total count and not per side.
LF-1 is a Single DD
LF-2 is a 1DD + 1BA
LF-4 is a 1DD + 3BA
So no dual DD option

As for functional drivers, well...
With this whole "fake driver" debacle I've been watching from the sidelines so far but I feel lik a few things need to be said about it. I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but I don't care. My issues are mainly about the relative lack of proper evidence to support these claims. The "I disconnected a driver and it sounds/measures the same, ergo the disconnected driver is dead/fake" is false evidence, all drivers need to be measured individually for the claim of a dead drivers to have any grounds.

Then there is the issue of numbers:
One report of a dead driver = no evidence of fake drivers, just poor luck in the QC lottery
A few reports of dead drivers = possible QC issues but still no evidence of fake drivers
20+ reports of dead drivers = QC issues confirmed and possible evidence of fake drivers
50+ reports of the same driver failing = bad QC issues and fake drivers are likely but unconfirmed
100+ units tested and the same driver always fails = fake drivers present or appalling QC

The problem is that with QC generally up to 5% can fail QC and that is completely normal and acceptable. These normally are not sold instead being disassembled for their good parts (or binned if really cheap), but even at the best companies some will still slip though the cracks. 5% might not sound like much but 5% of 10,000 units is still 500 bad units being made. And with the way QC at budget brands works, quite a few of these will probably hit the market. Especially if it's a desirable model where demand exceeds production capacity like what happend with the GeekWold GK10 last year.

Dead drivers cannot be ascertained from a single or few IEMs, you need at minimum 100+ units tested of a individual IEM, coming from several sources and batches if possible before a fake driver can be claimed with proper evidence. All drivers will need to be tested for function individually and every time the same driver has to fail otherwise it's QC issues, pretty bad QC issues if dead drivers occur in 20%+ of the cases but still QC issues.

Here's the big issue, I don't think anyone is willing to take on these tests due to the large amount of units that have to be tested and the money involved in this (purchase and in hours). So unless a company (employee) comes out stating they did put fake drivers in IEMs, it's going to be hard to really prove that fake drivers where used or if it was just a bad batch.

Drivers that don't and much or barely anything to the sound is not the same as fake drivers. They work, have a function (although possibly not FR related) and are not that uncommon to have. Also the DQ6 having the sound tube from the 2 DDs at the top closed off on some units is production issues with the shell, not dead/fake drivers.

I'm not saying it's impossible for there to be fake drivers, I'm sure there are companies out there that do this but it's a lot harder to prove this for certain. As we stand it's just a theory that companies like KZ and TRN are using fake drivers as there isn't really any hard evidence atm, just anecdotal evidence.

Regardless, if it sounds good, is build well and wasn't to expensive, I'll still enjoy it either way.
But these are just my 2ct

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #62,182 of 101,572
Mar 29, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #62,184 of 101,572
Mar 29, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #62,185 of 101,572
This is new,.

1648564751569.png

New Tansio
TSMR SANDS
3BA + 1Dynamic Driver Hybrid audiophiles In-ear Earphone IEM
1 dynamic driver + 3 balanced armature
10mm custom dynamic driver for low frequency
2 Sonion balanced armature for middle frequency
1 Knowles balanced armature for high frequency
3-way crossover, 3-channel design
Impedance: 17Ω@1kHz
Input sensitivity: 107dBL/mW
Passive Noise reduction: 26dB
Frequency response range: 5-20000Hz

Tansio Mirais first hybrid. Looking forward to hearing these.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #62,186 of 101,572
Mar 30, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #62,190 of 101,572
Unfortunately I have no say in how they choose color schemes. But hey maybe they sound good who knows. Them colors. Lol.
To tell you the truth, I am at the point where I welcome the style. They are not trying to emulate a western aesthetic anymore, but are actually starting to carve a whole new look. Now we can truly start to recognize where the IEMs are from! Some look totally Chinese now..........if you ask me!

They simply ARE from a new and different place in the world. Where before they had traits which were different, now we are starting to see some really wild designs. Actually I welcome it, and embrace the strangeness? As long as they sound good, this “look” goes along with it. The next two I will receive may be the strangest and wildest ever? They are in DHL, and to me they are not like anything we have seen from the rest of the world! This...........as a look, has-never-before seen daylight!

4A533C56-AE4D-49EE-A77C-0ED83025048A.jpeg

AEE68E4B-05FD-441F-876B-FBC4CC5C7771.jpeg

TRN, TRN BAX Universal IEM

HEARTFIELD, HeartField Deer Universal IEM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back