The discovery thread!
Mar 30, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #62,191 of 103,538
Not sure if this fits here, but by chance while browsing a Winners store tonight I ran into a bluetooth pair of headphones called the JLab Rewind Wireless for $10 CDN which has a form factor that reminded me of the Koss Porta Pro/KPH30i.

Now, I make this comparison because the Rewind Wireless advertises pad swapping using the two included sets of ear pads, orange and blue. I own a Koss KSC75 which I love and wanted to play around with like a fair bunch of KSC75 owners like to do such as through swapping new pads (I hope to eventually purchase an MMCX modded one and maybe a Parts Express headband too). Someone on Reddit mentioned the Rewind Wireless' pads fit on the Porta Pro and so I guessed that by extension they should fit on the KSC75 (like the Yaxi Pads do).

Both orange and blue are thicker than the KSC75 stock pads and feel more plush/marshmallowy in the hands/ears versus the scratchier-feeling KSC75 stock pads. The orange pads seem to fit like a glove.

No major sound changes so far, maybe the highs and soundstage (length) are a teensy bit reduced and bass and mids (vocals) are a teensy bit more pronounced, I suppose owing to the thicker material, but the pads feel warmer and more comfortable. I'll update after I've tried the blue pads that come on the Rewind Wireless which look even thicker than the orange ones (I'm charging the headphones right now and I wanna try them on with the blue pads once because why not).

For $10 CDN, if you run into these and are interested in purchasing comfy (imo), cheap pads for your KSC75 without drastically affecting the sound quality like Yaxi Pads supposedly do according to some anecdotal comments online, consider snagging them! JLab also sells replacement pads themselves for the Rewind Wireless (black and orange) for $10 USD!!

Attachments

• 20220329_211409.jpg
    20220329_211409.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220329_211346.jpg
    20220329_211346.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220329_211352.jpg
    20220329_211352.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220329_211359.jpg
    20220329_211359.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220329_200224.jpg
    20220329_200224.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #62,192 of 103,538
Bro here are the graphs as requested:

Tripowin Lea Stock versus Tanya Filter.jpg
Graphs via IEC711 compliant coupler. 8 kHz area is a resonance coupler peak.

The Tanya filter (green graph) indeed tames the lower treble and upper mids and makes the Lea become less bright (and harsh), but you lose a bit of micro-details and clarity as a tradeoff.

To begin with, the stock Lea isn't very technical and focuses more on timbre and tonality. So even in stock form, the Lea cannot beat the DUNU Titan S in technicalities, now with the Tanya filter on, it is even less technical!

The Lea is more analogue sounding, the Titan S is more analytical. But then again, the Lea is a $20ish USD set, and the Titan S is an $80 USD set, so not a fair comparison also.
Wow, I like the look of the graph with Tanya filter, 4k has too much energy but just..

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #62,194 of 103,538
Can anyone comment on the bass of the Lea cuz it's kinda perfect on that graph.

The Lea is a sub-bass focused set. The sub-bass extends moderately well (when properly amped), and the bass is just a slight tinge north of neutral.

In terms of quality, the bass is speedy, with decent texturing and no mid-bass bleed.

So it goes for bass quality over quantity, bassheads may find the bass lacking though.

In terms of the upper mids area glare on the Lea, playing the Lea at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson Curve) will cause it to be shouty, or on poorly recorded material.

Other than the Tanchjim Tanya filter, you can mitigate the upper mids region via:
  1. Pair the Lea with a warmer source.
  2. Utilize aftermarket eartips. For example, Ostry eartips can tame the upper mids region specifically.
  3. Use the Lea at lower volumes, as per the above Fletcher Munson curve discussion – music sounds more boosted in the treble/upper midrange at louder volumes.
  4. Apply EQ.

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #62,195 of 103,538
Can anyone comment on the bass of the Lea cuz it's kinda perfect on that graph.

The Lea is a sub-bass focused set. The sub-bass extends moderately well (when properly amped), and the bass is just a slight tinge north of neutral.

In terms of quality, the bass is speedy, with decent texturing and no mid-bass bleed.

So it goes for bass quality over quantity, bassheads may find the bass lacking though.

In terms of the upper mids area glare on the Lea, playing the Lea at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson Curve) will cause it to be shouty, or on poorly recorded material.

Other than the Tanchjim Tanya filter, you can mitigate the upper mids region via:
  1. Pair the Lea with a warmer source.
  2. Utilize aftermarket eartips. For example, Ostry eartips can tame the upper mids region specifically.
  3. Use the Lea at lower volumes, as per the above Fletcher Munson curve discussion – music sounds more boosted in the treble/upper midrange at louder volumes.
  4. Apply EQ.
I agree wholeheartedly, though if you read my review I go into the timbre issue. That’s the only thing, that and tone. Meaning I break down all of the technicalities and itemize each one. The graph does look great only it does not and can not quantify the tone aspect. I’m talking about each instrument tone/timbre. No EQ can even start to fix that, it’s impossible. IMO

I mean it’s good for what it costs. Also if someone is not a musician or has spent time listening to real instruments then it will be OK with timbre. But personally I think it’s best used with electronic music where timbre is a non-issue. It does electronic music really well, though I never heard it having that much bass? Of course this could be my bass-head talking? It’s more midcentric with a touch of warmth and a treble roll-off. Mainly that style of roll-off in the treble is normal for the price. What is special is the speed ability (and soundstage ability) and the fact that the graph really does look good. It is an even, correct and complete response curve, the graph is true. It just does not go to quantify the tone/timbre. It only quantifies the full tone from bass to treble. IMO

Due to the imaging/bass level the bass is clear and crisp and well defined in the soundstage. Due to the tautness the resolution is good, though obviously not the last word in texture or anything like that. But for what it is it’s great! They stretched (in effect) the diaphragm to get this character and it worked..........this fast and quick response which gives good soundstage.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #62,199 of 103,538
Bloody!!!! Life changing money. Oligarch money.
Just buy Luna & Solana. Not financial advice. Solana expects to have a big pop once NFT transactions take place on OpenSea. 😉

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #62,201 of 103,538
I want ask to my tri tk2. Which is nest as a bluetooth reciever for my tri tk2? Hiby r2 or shanling M0 or shanling q1 or any better recomand at that ramge price under 100 usd ?
I didn't own r2 or q1, but I'd suggest crossing out Shanling M0 simply because of Bluetooth capability. It uses Bluetooth 4.1 which can be problematic at times. I run into signal issues when in motion, particularly when the M0 was covered by my palm!

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #62,202 of 103,538
I use my Shanling Q1 paired with my Qudelix-5K. Good combo that lets me use LDAC. Excellent connection.

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #62,203 of 103,538
I recently picked up XDuoo X3ii which is kinda hard to find now and I'm really into it. Haven't tested the line out but sounds great with my FiiO JD3. I like this dap more than the Q1, more musical (less dry) and still good soundstage with decent bass punch. Less sub bass and upper treble emphasis but also less artificial.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #62,204 of 103,538
I recently picked up XDuoo X3ii which is kinda hard to find now and I'm really into it. Haven't tested the line out but sounds great with my FiiO JD3. I like this dap more than the Q1, more musical (less dry) and still good soundstage with decent bass punch. Less sub bass and upper treble emphasis but also less artificial.
I have something similar in the xDuoo X20. It has a few advantages feature-wise over the Q1. But when it comes to sound quality, I prefer what I hear from the Sabre DAC in the Q1. It's not a big, stark difference.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #62,205 of 103,538
I have something similar in the xDuoo X20. It has a few advantages feature-wise over the Q1. But when it comes to sound quality, I prefer what I hear from the Sabre DAC in the Q1. It's not a big, stark difference.
I was close to picking up the X20 since I like a tight, deep bass response. I figured it wouldn't be all that different from my iBasso DX120 in regards to linear bass and upper mid/lower treble emphasis, though the DX120 does have a sub bass focus despite not going the deepest. Surprising you like the Q1 more which is like half the price of the X20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back