The discovery thread!
Feb 23, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #61,921 of 106,583
This is a good call. Within the budget, so far positive review on this neutral - bright iem.
Agreed. JH3 is well balanced and yet dynamic in presentation.

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #61,922 of 106,583
Penon Orb Intial Impressions

Dynamic Driver and Balanced Amature hybrid in transparent resin shells.

These are ear blockers, they isolate very well, although I have yet to use them outdoors, my guess is they should do a very good job outdoors.

The bass impact, as you can imagine with ear blockers, is hard hitting. The emphasis is on the mid-bass not the sub-bass. The mid-bass quality is becoming more obvious as the drivers burn-in and the sound has improved enormously, so that it is not just punching thick bass notes, with 48 hours burn-in, the sonic attributes of the dynamic driver is more noticeable with each track, much better definition to the bass notes.

At this stage they appear to be a shallow V-shaped set of IEMs with the mids giving you lots of information but are not prominent, for my taste the mids are adequate.

Highs are filled with micro details and lots of sparkle, but no excesses at this stage. Plenty to enjoy!

Early days, but a bit more burn-in, tip, track and source selection and time will tell.

I use my Penon Orb earphones with my Onkyo DP-X1B when I go to lunch at the local sports bar. They do provide good isolation, so I can listen to music at lower levels - even in a noisy environment.

Recently, I asked on the Penon Audiophiles Reviews Facebook page, which of the Penon branded earphones has: 1.) The most low Bass ; 2.) The best quality Bass.
There was only one answer, from someone who has all but the Legend - 1.) Best Bass Quantity with relatively good qualities = Serial ; 2.) Best bass quality with relatively good quantity = Volt.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #61,923 of 106,583
I use my Penon Orb earphones with my Onkyo DP-X1B when I go to lunch at the local sports bar. They do provide good isolation, so I can listen to music at lower levels - even in a noisy environment.

Recently, I asked on the Penon Audiophiles Reviews Facebook page, which of the Penon branded earphones has: 1.) The most low Bass ; 2.) The best quality Bass.
There was only one answer, from someone who has all but the Legend - 1.) Best Bass Quantity with relatively good qualities = Serial ; 2.) Best bass quality with relatively good quantity = Volt.

I am not surprised they hold their own in noisy environments.

From what I have read, Serial and Volt owners have spoken highly of the bass quantity and quality of their earphones. I suspect the balance between sub-bass and mid-bass has a part to play in the presentation on both of them. They are a step or two up in price as well.

The Orbs, on the other hand, are less expensive. To my ears the Orbs are more mid-bass focussed, and it is the quality of that bass which makes the mid-bass focus so good to my ears.

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #61,924 of 106,583

I’ve owned Volt, and currently have Legend & Serial. Penon makes very good, budget-friendly iems

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #61,926 of 106,583
Great Tribrid you can get sometimes for under $100.00? The Nice HCK NX7 III. Tuneable filters. Excellent sound. First class detail retrieval. I think they got a unfair knock for not having the best soundstage, but in reality, they have very good to above average imaging and left right width. Just an excellent IEM if you don't mind a lack of note thickness, but stellar bass performance. STELLAR!

Feb 23, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #61,927 of 106,583
BFB Jinghong - Western Yume
IMG_20220224_094824.jpg
IMG_20220224_095626.jpg

Need to EQ a little bit to make it work but they're absolutely astonising in the vocal.
The downside is bass bleed (400hz), resonance (just a little bit), slightly dry and just like the yume, detail not that good (just about blon 03). For 28$ rec rec rec if you ok with EQing the bass a little bit. Will compare them with CRA, Heart Mirror, GK10 after a week
Edit: potential vent block since the pressure build up a little bit, if that the case here then QC concern

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #61,928 of 106,583
Thank you for all the reply,
So far the rec for best hybrid under $100 is

Thieaudio Legacy 2 (the hype combo of Berylium DD + Knowles BA)
Tri Starsea (nearly bought a cheap second hand one, but someone else get it first)
Fiio/JadeAudio JH3 (really cheap one, i will keen to look for it)

and above $100 being,

Ikko OH10 (The big Booba sounding IEM, and the local price have went down)
Yume Midnight (My main goal, but i need to save for many things right now)

---

Fiio JH3 have pretty good review, within the easy to buy price range as well.
If it wasn't for the fact i just bought Elden Ring, i might impulse buy JH3

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #61,929 of 106,583

Tri Starsea (nearly bought a cheap second hand one, but someone else get it first)

and above $100 being,

---

May i know your preferences, favourite iem (owned or tried), and type of music genre?

Ps:nice. Fellow elden ring player 👍

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #61,930 of 106,583

and above $100 being,

---

Personally I found the ThieAudio Legacy 2 a bit meh. It was kind of a jack of all trades, but master of none. BA timbre present, not too technical, compressed soundstage and compressed dynamics. Nothing really special to stand out from the ultra competitive $100ish bracket. It has a purported DD beryllium bass driver, but the bass doesn't sound any different than a conventional driver.

Interestingly, the TRI Meteor, which has a same beryllium DD + knowles BA setup, and isn't too far away in price from the Legacy 2, is a better set IMHO.
When doing A/B comparisons against the two, the Legacy 2 has poorer timbral accuracy for acoustic instruments with a less lush midrange. Both sets are not the best in technicalities, but even so, the Legacy 2 has slightly weaker technical performance, losing to the Meteor in imaging, micro-details, and clarity. Would pick the TRI Meteor over the Legacy 2 if they are selling at similar pricing.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #61,931 of 106,583
May i know your preferences, favourite iem (owned or tried), and type of music genre?

Ps:nice. Fellow elden ring player 👍

Mostly i listen to rock or female pop.
Sometimes i listen to instrumental ost.

Elden Ring been on my steam cart for few days, but the embargo lift and reviews cement it. Not sure if the preorder price is cheaper but i bought the normal edition for $41.

Personally I found the ThieAudio Legacy 2 a bit meh. It was kind of a jack of all trades, but master of none. BA timbre present, not too technical, compressed soundstage and compressed dynamics. Nothing really special to stand out from the ultra competitive $100ish bracket. It has a purported DD beryllium bass driver, but the bass doesn't sound any different than a conventional driver.

Interestingly, the TRI Meteor, which has a same beryllium DD + knowles BA setup, and isn't too far away in price from the Legacy 2, is a better set IMHO.
When doing A/B comparisons against the two, the Legacy 2 has poorer timbral accuracy for acoustic instruments with a less lush midrange. Both sets are not the best in technicalities, but even so, the Legacy 2 has slightly weaker technical performance, losing to the Meteor in imaging, micro-details, and clarity. Would pick the TRI Meteor over the Legacy 2 if they are selling at similar pricing.

Thank you, i'll add Meteor to my short list.
Yeah, Legacy 2 reviews so far isn't as hyped as its older sibling. I'm not surprised that its outperformed by Tri Meteor
And after checking, legacy and meteor ahve same price in my place. so yeah.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #61,933 of 106,583
BFB Jinghong - Western Yume
IMG_20220224_094824.jpgIMG_20220224_095626.jpg
Need to EQ a little bit to make it work but they're absolutely astonising in the vocal.
The downside is bass bleed (400hz), resonance (just a little bit), slightly dry and just like the yume, detail not that good (just about blon 03). For 28$ rec rec rec if you ok with EQing the bass a little bit. Will compare them with CRA, Heart Mirror, GK10 after a week
Edit: potential vent block since the pressure build up a little bit, if that the case here then QC concern
Have you thought about getting Nightingale? I look forward to reading your further thoughts on the Lark and Jinghong.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #61,934 of 106,583
Have you thought about getting Nightingale? I look forward to reading your further thoughts on the Lark and Jinghong.
Hmm Lark and jinghong is crazy crazy good already so maybe i won't buy Nightingale (undetachable cable), but if they release new iem maybe i will buy it
Edit: just realize that Lark have the same graph as Astrotec Vesna, with detachable cable and 3 set of tips

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #61,935 of 106,583

Users who are viewing this thread

Back