The discovery thread!
Dec 2, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #61,051 of 99,872
20211202_214923_HDR.jpg

So yeah this is a thing you can do with the TRI TK-2. Every output works at the same time.

Now I've only tried it on low power as I don't want to potentially damage my TK-2 but at normal listening volume (for these low power IEMs) it was fine.
Balanced obviously is louder than SE, so using the lower impedance IEM on SE is recommended if using multiple outputs from the TK-2. I would also recommend having the IEMs on the balanced outputs to have about the same impedance if you decide to use both at the same time for some reason.

Now I don't recommend doing this all the time but for a-b testing this might help a lot.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #61,052 of 99,872
If you're looking for an entry-level IEM with a good detachable cable, and good comfort, also allowing for straight-down wearing style, then the Beans from HiBy Music should be a top choice for you!!

I made a full video review about those, with my usualy comedy, and hopefully even better background music to keep you entertained!

I've heard good things about these. Should have picked them up when I got the Hiby R2 package. Should have gotten these and skipped the amp. The amp is a load if s**t.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #61,053 of 99,872
Mini Review of Fiio FH5s Pro and comparison with IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red:

20211202_130257.jpg

Courtesy of a friend, I got the opportunity to experience the Fiio FH5s Pro for a while. I compared it with my current daily driver, IMR Splash Of Red.

FH5s Pro: Bass On - Mid On - Treble Off | Balanced eartips
Splash Of Red: Grey nozzle and Black filter configuration | Azla Sedna Crystal tips

Here are my observations:
  • Low
    • Bass of FH5s Pro has good amount of quantity and impact. However, it sounds a bit loose and soft and polite. I won’t say that it’s boomy or muddy, but it definitely has a slightly loose feeling to it. The attacks or impacts feel a bit softer compared to Splash Of Red, which hits quite hard and yet remains very tight and clean. FH5s Pro low end notes have a longer decay than SOR. However, due to the harder impact on SOR, it definitely feels more engaging and more real. SOR low notes are distinctly more tactile and physical. Kickdrum hits and bass guitar notes have much better grunt and power on SOR, without shadowing the midrange. On FH5s Pro the low end seems to play a bit too safe, lacking that life. I never thought I would say this, but on FH5s Pro the low end notes sound distinctly smoother whereas SOR produces a much more well-sculpted and dynamic low end with more rumble and more slam and better note definition. Hence, perceived details are more on SOR.

• Mid:
    • Midrange of FH5s Pro is slightly pushed back compared to SOR, which has its mid pushed forward. FH5s Pro mids have a greater sense of spaciousness compared to SOR - takes the crown there. Midrange sounds distinctly more grand on FH5s pro with more expansion and more air between notes. The multi BA drivers were definitely flexing their muscle there coupled with the vented backplate - Splash Of Red stands no chance against it.
    • However, the notes feel very slightly smaller than SOR, and have a bit less presence. SOR midrange notes have a bigger presence and are more intimate, sounding more engaging. Detail wise again I cannot feel any evident loss of detail, but for sure SOR midrange notes feel more well sculpted than FH5s Pro notes, which are a bit smooth and polite.
    • Lower midrange has distinctly more note weight and body on SOR, while on FH5s Pro it does not feel unnaturally thin, but is most definitely lighter and has less body in comparison. Leonard Cohen’s voice sounds deep and powerful in Hallelujah with SOR, while with FH5s pro it just sounds good, but misses that power and grunt.
    • While it comes to the upper midrange, I believe it is a toss between them. FH5s Pro produces the female vocals in a smooth way so that the occasional sizzles and edges does not bother the listener. It works splendidly, making it a very pleasant experience. Even though the sizzles and edges are controlled, they are not polished off, and hence female vocals do not sound lifeless or overly smooth and muted. Instead, the energy is still fully preserved, just the musicality is enhanced. In addition, female vocals have slightly more body on FH5s Pro. Splash Of Red has a bit more bright and very slightly thinner female vocals in comparison. The sizzles are accentuated a bit and edges are very slightly more sharpened. Although they do not cause much discomfort, and cross the threshold of comfort very rarely, given the choice, I would definitely prefer FH5s Pro upper mids in comparison to SOR.
    • Have to point out another aspect - FH5s pro performs much better in case of portraying the background instrument. On FH5s Pro the background instruments sound larger and more life-like, whereas on SOR they sound clearer but smaller. This was very much evident on Yao Si Ting’s rendition of Scarborough Fair - the background violins sound a lot larger and prominent on FH5s Pro, on SOR they sound a bit more crisp, but not as large.

• High:
    • When it comes to treble, in my book, it is a draw yet again. While I love the crisp and prominent treble of Splash Of Red, the forwardness of it sometimes works for it, sometimes against it. On tracks with laid back treble, SOR brings it out splendidly, but on tracks with already lively treble the treble comes even more forward, often sitting at the same level with midrange. Point to note - it never gets unbearably bright though. FH5s Pro has a rather laid back treble response compared to SOR, with a bit less amount of energy and brightness. But still, the treble is crisp enough and has enough energy to have its own distinct presence. It for sure does not sound muted. The extension is quite good as well. What’s more, because the treble never comes too forward, it creates a better sense of space and produces better layering of sound. The treble always stays one step back from the midrange, and yet boasts a prominent presence nonetheless.

• Technicalities:
    • Regarding soundstage, FH5s Pro wins hands down. As already stated above, the FH5s Pro has a much grander stage, better in all 3 dimensions - width, height, and depth, than Splash Of Red. The outstanding separation and imaging creates a decidedly three dimensional holographic soundstage that definitely traps the listener in with awe. At least it did me. The vented backplate I guess helps create the effect. Splash Of Red really does not stand a chance here, even though it is by no means a claustrophobic sounding iem, no, it is not. The sound of SOR is still pretty open with an intimate presentation but with quite good imaging. The FH5s pro is simply better in this regard.

Conclusion: FH5s Pro is indeed an outstanding iem for the price, and if only the low and lower midcould be improved a bit more, it would have been a winner hands down!

20211202_174729.jpg
Umm how is the notes and instrument separation overall in FH5s and SOR ??
FH5s being vented seems like will have a better separation !! (Maybe 🤣)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #61,054 of 99,872
When you're looking for a high-end music player that's modular, ergonomic, and sounds amazing, IBasso Audio has the DX240 made especially for you!!

This is the day we get to use their previous modules with a newer, smoother, more elegant DAP! This includes AMP1, AMP5, AMP7, AMP8, and you can do everything with a screwdriver!!

I included comparisons with all the best DAPs, pairings with the latest IEMs and Headphones, and even details you never heard about DX240, how to take it apart, how to use it, and other details I noticed while using it~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/12/ibasso-dx240-sing-me-the-sweetest-melody.html

iBasso-DX-240-DX240-Modular-DAP-Portable-Music-Player-MQA-DSD-Hi-Res-Balanced-Review-Audiophil...jpg

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #61,055 of 99,872

Tri Meteor, Tri TK-2, Tronsmart Onyx Prime, TRN TA - Quadruple Review​

I review 3a IEMs in one go, because why not? (if you get the 3a reference, you are probably Asian/Chinese 😆)

Tri Meteor - $109usd, 1DD+1BA. Berry-plated DD, Knowles BA. This is a tonality over technicalities set. The tuning here is pretty good. Harman tuned, warm, smooth, and tonally balanced. With amping, the berry-plated DD really shines. With good bass punch, texture, speed, and slam. Mids are great too, with a smooth and lush presentation that is relaxing and non-fatiguing to listen to. Treble here is smooth, but seriously lacking in air, which makes the Tri Meteor sounds suffocating and slightly dull.

Technicality wise, Tri Meteor isn't the best too. Soundstage is small and flat, imaging is a bit fuzzy, and detail retrieval isn't the best. Timbre wise, it is pretty good for a hybrid, but there's still a hint of slight BA timbre in the treble (which is to be expected for a BA/hybrid). Oh, and the included cable is also pretty horrendous.

Other than the cable, the accessories provided are pretty good. Great pleather case, cleaning cloth, cleaning brush, and KBEar a07 tips. Unboxing experience is great too as it comes in an unnecessarily huge box that looks pretty good.

Overall, I think the Tri Meteor is decent, but slightly overpriced. If they had thrown in a better cable like the KBEar Limpid 8core instead, this is easily a 4/5. However, at its retail price of $109usd, I think the price is slightly higher than what I would pay for these. I think $89usd would be a much better value. - 3.5/5

Tri TK2 - $289usd, portable DAC/Amp. Tri x KAEI collaboration, dual ESS 9038Q2M with a maximum output power of 1250mw (32Ω), Class A/B and Class A modes, same amount of output power to all balanced and SE ports, 5000 mAh battery… this thing is a beast (and looks like one too). Tonality wise, I would describe the TK2 as neutral, but never cold nor dry. Extensions at both ends are great, detail retrieval is good, transient speed is fast, bass is well-extended tight and punchy, midrange is neutral and transparent, treble is well-extended and resolving yet smooth.

Soundstage wise, it is pretty wide with decent depth and height, imaging is sharp, detail retrieval is great. In terms of power, it is no slouch too. The only thing that the TK2 can't drive is my Final e5000, which is expected as this thing needs a lot of current to drive. Other than that, the DT990 250 Ohm, HD600, DT770 Ohm, KBEar BElieve …… the Tri TK2 is able to drive them all without a sweat.

Turning the volume knob past 60% will kick in Class A mode, which sounds warmer and fuller. So if you find Tri tk2 lacking in warmth, just turn the volume knob past 60% and lower your phone/PC's volume. In terms of battery life, it is pretty good for a portable DAC/amp, with 8 - 9 hours in Class A/B mode and 5 - 6 hours in Class A mode.

Overall, I think Tri x KAEI did a great job at the Tri TK2. I don't normally like neutral-sounding sources because of how boring, cold, and dry they can be, but the Tri TK2 is an exception. Tri x KAEI managed to tune a source that is neutral yet musical at the same time. Be it for critical testing sessions or enjoyment, the Tri TK2 can do it all. The Tri TK2 receives my seal of approval. - 4.5/5 ⭐

Tronsmart Onyx Prime - $69.99, 1DD+1BA TWS. Tuning here OOTB is not good. I would describe it as "consumer-friendly" V-shaped. Boomy bass, sucked out mids, peaky elevated treble. BA timbre, bad coherency. Technicality wise, they are decent for a TWS at the price. In comparison, they are better than the Nekocake, but not as good as the XM3. If you don't like the stock tuning, there are a few presets available on the app, most notably the "HiFi" preset, which makes the Onyx Prime more balanced sounding with lesser bass bleed and better mids.

However, I can't get the app to work on my Samsung S9+. This thing has been giving me nothing but headaches. Despite only owning them for 1 day, I have already reset them 5 times. The culprit is the app, which after downloading and setting up the EQ, the Tronsmart Onyx Prime won't reconnect to my phone for whatever reason. I had to completely reset everything and pair everything up again from scratch. Once I stopped using the app, the problem was fixed. (Tronsmart, please fix your app)

Because of that, I am stuck with the OOTB tuning, which isn't good. Not to mention, the stock eartips and earhooks suck. Fit is horrendous with them on. I had to take both eartips and earhooks off and use Sony Triple Comfort (foam) to get them to fit. With the Sony Triple Comfort on, they fit like the XM3. Overall, not too good. - 2.5/5
*note: I can't seem to measure the Onyx Prime with my IEC711. Not sure why. If anyone is able to help, do PM me.

TRN TA - $17.99, 1DD+1BA. Ermm…. These ain't good. V-shaped, boomy bleedy bass, very bad coherency which makes the midrange sound separated, dull and dead treble. Technicalities ain't good too, with bad BA timbre, below-average detail retrieval, small congested soundstage, bad imaging and instrument separation, and slow bass.

I honestly have nothing good to say for the TRN TA, sorry. In conclusion, buy the TRN MT1 for $5usd and be happy with life. Thank me later. - 2/5

Wew. This is a long one. I hope you guys enjoyed this "quadruple review". As usual, all FR graphs are shown below. If you guys have any further questions, feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Huge thanks to KB EAR, TRI Audio, HILL AUDIO - MY, Tronsmart, Trn Petter for sending these out to me for review, and thank you Larry Fulton for arranging the TRN TA review unit. I am not at all compensated by them and all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Purchase links here (non-affiliated):
  1. Tri Meteor (Hillaudio Malaysia) - https://shopee.com.my/TRI-Meteor-Hy...5?sp_atk=5ba658fb-af23-4b63-aabd-15d0b94316d6
  2. Tri TK2 (Hillaudio Malaysia) - https://shopee.com.my/TRI-TK2-Fully...9?sp_atk=03b025e1-1cbf-4ff4-9b85-884eed1d6383
  3. Tri Meteor (Aliexpress) - https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKuxeFu
  4. Tri TK2 (Aliexpress) - https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr0EyMw
  5. Tronsmart Onyx Prime - https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqRV6Zc
  6. TRN TA - https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqzleua

20211204_001414.jpg
Tri Meteor.jpg
TRN TA.jpg
TRN TA vs TRN TA2.jpg

Attachments

• 20211204_001542.jpg
    20211204_001542.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_001619.jpg
    20211204_001619.jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211125_230908.jpg
    20211125_230908.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211126_000216.jpg
    20211126_000216.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211126_160925.jpg
    20211126_160925.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211126_161027.jpg
    20211126_161027.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211126_161045.jpg
    20211126_161045.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_001906.jpg
    20211204_001906.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002019.jpg
    20211204_002019.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002236.jpg
    20211204_002236.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002304.jpg
    20211204_002304.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002318.jpg
    20211204_002318.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002454.jpg
    20211204_002454.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002502.jpg
    20211204_002502.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002505.jpg
    20211204_002505.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002557.jpg
    20211204_002557.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002715.jpg
    20211204_002715.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211204_002804.jpg
    20211204_002804.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211125_230740.jpg
    20211125_230740.jpg
  • 20211125_230847.jpg
    20211125_230847.jpg
  • 20211125_230935.jpg
    20211125_230935.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #61,056 of 99,872
Tronsmart Onyx Prime - $69.99, 1DD+1BA TWS. Tuning here OOTB is not good. I would describe it as "consumer-friendly" V-shaped. Boomy bass, sucked out mids, peaky elevated treble. BA timbre, bad coherency. Technicality wise, they are decent for a TWS at the price. In comparison, they are better than the Nekocake, but not as good as the XM3. If you don't like the stock tuning, there are a few presets available on the app, most notably the "HiFi" preset, which makes the Onyx Prime more balanced sounding with lesser bass bleed and better mids.

However, I can't get the app to work on my Samsung S9+. This thing has been giving me nothing but headaches. Despite only owning them for 1 day, I have already reset them 5 times. The culprit is the app, which after downloading and setting up the EQ, the Tronsmart Onyx Prime won't reconnect to my phone for whatever reason. I had to completely reset everything and pair everything up again from scratch. Once I stopped using the app, the problem was fixed. (Tronsmart, please fix your app)

Because of that, I am stuck with the OOTB tuning, which isn't good. Not to mention, the stock eartips and earhooks suck. Fit is horrendous with them on. I had to take both eartips and earhooks off and use Sony Triple Comfort (foam) to get them to fit. With the Sony Triple Comfort on, they fit like the XM3. Overall, not too good. - 2.5/5

It seems to be a common problem with Samsung phones... I have the same frustration using both my Note 10 and Note 8

If you can, try pairing it using a different brand phone and update it with the app from that phone to the 1.2.6 version (i tries it with an old Pixel 2). after that it would have no problem connecting to Samsung phones with the app.

The weird imbalance when setting the EQ is still there though, but i just set them first, for instance i use the "hiFi" preset as base, then cut the bass some more, hit save, and then put it in the case and out again to reestablish connection. usually the imbalance would be fixed and preserve the custom EQ sound

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #61,058 of 99,872
It seems to be a common problem with Samsung phones... I have the same frustration using both my Note 10 and Note 8

If you can, try pairing it using a different brand phone and update it with the app from that phone to the 1.2.6 version (i tries it with an old Pixel 2). after that it would have no problem connecting to Samsung phones with the app.

The weird imbalance when setting the EQ is still there though, but i just set them first, for instance i use the "hiFi" preset as base, then cut the bass some more, hit save, and then put it in the case and out again to reestablish connection. usually the imbalance would be fixed and preserve the custom EQ sound

Hey bro, Thanks for the tip. Let me try connecting it to my Xiaomi phone and updating it then. I'll report back.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #61,059 of 99,872
TRN TA1 is such praised IEMs, a proper budget Knowles hybrid IEMs.
What happen to TA and TA2...
TRN TA1 was pretty good. I loved my set. Gave it to a friend and he loved it too.

The TA2 I find to be better than TA, but very overpriced, so I don't see why you should buy that.

The TRN TA, well...... let's just not think that it even exists.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #61,060 of 99,872

hey bud, you are absolutely right. I just updated the Onyx Prime using my Xiaomi A1 and now it works with my Samsung!

Thanks for the tip. It is much better now. there's a very obvious channel imbalance tho which is weird lol

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #61,061 of 99,872
Its been awhile since last time i visit 4chan, home of thousands edge-lords.
But interesting discussion on the new KZ ZEX Pro tribid

Not one argue about how good it is, mostly argue whether its actually functionally 1dd with 2 other driver not functional or a proper 3 driver.
Something about the smooth treble graph is indicating no BA.
---
1638603856920.png

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #61,062 of 99,872
Tri TK2 - $289usd, portable DAC/Amp. Tri x KAEI collaboration, dual ESS 9038Q2M with a maximum output power of 1250mw (32Ω), Class A/B and Class A modes, same amount of output power to all balanced and SE ports,
So those are fake balanced outputs?

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #61,063 of 99,872
So those are fake balanced outputs?
I don't think they are fake. Just that it has equal distribution of power to all 3 ports.

Have ask the pros here to confirm

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #61,064 of 99,872
The end of the year is getting very tight in terms of new releases, it seems that everyone wants to get into this year and the challenges are proving to be very difficult. I just got the Ikko OPAL OH2 and I love their new tuning, finally some warmer Ikkos! But they also have great clarity with a tight, punchy, but not heavy bass. They are not IEMS for bassheads but I'm really enjoying them.

2021-12-03_165057.jpg2021-12-03_165108.jpg2021-12-03_165123.jpg2021-12-03_165127.jpg2021-12-03_165137.jpg2021-12-03_165153.jpg2021-12-03_165157.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #61,065 of 99,872
Overall, I think Tri x KAEI did a great job at the Tri TK2. I don't normally like neutral-sounding sources because of how boring, cold, and dry they can be, but the Tri TK2 is an exception. Tri x KAEI managed to tune a source that is neutral yet musical at the same time. Be it for critical testing sessions or enjoyment, the Tri TK2 can do it all. The Tri TK2 receives my seal of approval. - 4.5/5 ⭐
I entirely agree with you, this is a good DAC/Amp. It has lots of power, it does not get very hot in use or while charging. I love the fact that despite it being neutral it sounds good with lots of earphones and (my few) headphones.

It can be improved with a battery meter rather than a battery indicator (which it has). Having Bluetooth option may be helpful, but it is a good start for the TRI and KAEI collaboration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back