The discovery thread!
Nov 4, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #60,781 of 100,467
The penon serial compared with the um3dt, oxygen and timeless will be very good comparisons. Oxygen is my favourite tuned iem so far but I'm hoping the um3dt brings forth a bit more body and thickness to the sound whilst maintaining good resolution and transients.

Nov 4, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #60,782 of 100,467
The shell they are using is the same as the their dynamic series. It is actually a very good design. An off shoot of the barrel shaped housing. I haven't seen anyone mention that this housing is unfortable or has issues with it. Plus it looks more modern/ different/ artistic. More cutting edge?
I see but my ears prefer the custom shell.
So I just have to tried them... Maybe the fd7 :wink:

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #60,783 of 100,467
Actually, I don't find the NA2+ warm either. Although it is less clinical/analytical/cold than NM2+. In short, I find it more musical. But I would have liked a bit more power in the low end, so that there would be more difference between the two.
Yea I would discribe the NA2+ slightly mid forward especially compared to the NM2+. I find the NM2+ better for classical music (but not really good violin timbre) with good imaging while the NA2+ is superp for female vocal. I too agree that the NA2+ lacks a bit of low end power which is present on the NM2+.

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #60,784 of 100,467
Thanks for going through the trouble of graphing them with a waterfall!

You can tell that, for the most part, the decay is incredibly even. There is, however something to do with the dual chamber tuning that is causing some internal resonance and preventing the same rapidity of decay at around 20 and 120hz for the NM2+ and 15, 30, and 100Hz on the NA2+. This could potentially lead to smearing in higher frequencies, but should be acceptably negligible for these sets.
It's actually quite easy REW measures / calculate everything. I am actually more interested in the phase difference. Like the NA2+ and NM2+ they are both single DDs and I didn't expect any phase rotation like in the second graph.

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #60,785 of 100,467
It's clear that frequency response graphs do not explain differences in timbre.

NF Audio NA2+ vs NF Audio NM2+.png
Yang told me that almost their iems have familiar FR, you can find they are totally different in many ways.

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #60,786 of 100,467
Received the iFi Hip DAC2 courtesy of @iFi audio. First impressions:
  • Still my favorite portable DAC/Amp under $200
  • Still hisses slightly with sensitive IEMs (I tried with campfire Mammoth)
  • I love that volume knob.
  • Powermatch is great for those with moderately power-hungry headphones (not for pesky planars, though).
  • Sounds identical to the OG Hip DAC with non-MQA songs
  • MQA H/W-level decoding is great for those who use Tidal, but I cancelled my subscription a while back so did not go around testing that feature. I have some offline MQA files which I will test in due course.
  • Staging is rather intimate
  • Not a totally neutral presentation with some added warmth in the lower mids
  • Last but not the least - this copper color might be divisive at first glance, though it has grown on me since then.

IMG_1286.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #60,787 of 100,467
For the weekend, you're probably looking forward to enjoying some of your favorite music, so my review of the Campfire Audio Holocene IEMs should be right in time to bring the fun!

Those are some of the most detailed IEMs (Earphones / In-Ear Monitors) that you can get, they have a wide soundstage, lots of detail, a refined sound with a lighter but natural approach. I love musicality in an IEM, and this is exactly what Campfire delivers in their Holocene, the latest adventure from their midrange lineup, and my most recent favorite IEM in the category

I took the time to make comparisons to all the relevant competitors, even flagships, and if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'm always around to help~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/11/campfire-holocene-clarity-details-musicality.html

Campfire-Audio-Holocene-IEMs-Earphones-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Music-Enthusiast-19.jpg

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #60,790 of 100,467
Received the iFi Hip DAC2 courtesy of @iFi audio. First impressions:
  • Still my favorite portable DAC/Amp under $200
  • Still hisses slightly with sensitive IEMs (I tried with campfire Mammoth)
  • I love that volume knob.
  • Powermatch is great for those with moderately power-hungry headphones (not for pesky planars, though).
  • Sounds identical to the OG Hip DAC with non-MQA songs
  • MQA H/W-level decoding is great for those who use Tidal, but I cancelled my subscription a while back so did not go around testing that feature. I have some offline MQA files which I will test in due course.
  • Staging is rather intimate
  • Not a totally neutral presentation with some added warmth in the lower mids
  • Last but not the least - this copper color might be divisive at first glance, though it has grown on me since then.

IMG_1286.jpgIMG_1288.jpg

Lovely stuff and thanks for its TL;DR form :)

Your observations on warmth and intimacy, that's partially our house sound :)

As for hissing, hip-dac 2 is very powerful given its size so some hiss might occur with sensitive IEMs.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 5, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #60,791 of 100,467
As for hissing, hip-dac 2 is very powerful given its size so some hiss might occur with sensitive IEMs.
Sorry. By saving money here, you cut off a lot of customers. I speak as someone who seriously considered buying. The sound you make is good. Installing the built-in attenuator will cost about $ 20-30. This will immediately increase the number of potential buyers. Just check the number of sensitive headphones in any audio store. Using an adapter brings a lot of inconvenience. Keep this in mind when designing your next device. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #60,792 of 100,467
Nov 6, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #60,793 of 100,467
I’ve been getting a ton of enjoyment from the Final A4000. I’m not a huge fan of abstract and over-the-top expressions so I’ll just say:
  • It’s a mid-centric, neutral-bright set with a slight bass lift.
  • No exquisite metals have been used in the construction of its single dynamic driver
  • Yet, the A4000 stands out as the fastest, most resolving pair of IEMs I’ve heard. The Aria sounds veiled next to these.
  • The width and depth of the perceived soundstage is seriously impressive.
  • Clarity and air are available in spades, and can even be on the intense side at times. However, I’ve not encountered sibilance.
  • Vocals are rich, forward, and extremely detailed. Pianos sound amazing, with a clean attack and reverberation. This is my favourite aspect of the sound.
  • The bass presentation isn’t the highlight of this IEM; it’s there more as a complement to the mids and treble.
  • Nonetheless, it’s not tremendously rolled off unlike some other mid-centric sets and there’s still some presence down there.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #60,794 of 100,467
NiceHCK DB1, Baby NF Audio?
Comparisons aside, on 11.11 they will be worth less than €15 including VAT. And they already seem to me to be exceptional value for money. The cable is mediocre, though, and they don't even come with the typical bag. But I've taken another cable and I can't say anything wrong with what I hear.

NF AUDIO NA1 vs NiceHCK DB1.png

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #60,795 of 100,467
Proper successor of TRN BA5?
Hopefully not as big... The ba5 to this day was the most uncomfortable IEM I've had. I literally could only use foams with them and it made them sound overly bold and sterile. Huge housing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back