The discovery thread!
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #60,676 of 99,879
AMT Headphone by Monoprice Inbound https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43235

432351.jpg
432354.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #60,678 of 99,879
TK2 is not released yet so we won't know anything

I just know KAEI offering, he offers 3 different tuning which is balanced (a bit warm, easy listening, good 3d imaging), cold tuning (uppermid boost, excellent for string instrument and thin female vocal, heavy vocal might lacking body depends on cans used), and last one warm tuning (good for vocal, especially heavy vocal such as Zhao Peng, Shirley Bassey, Adele etc)

The only information I know, TK2 use different tuning than the one I can choose when i buy KAEI HP-100

Just wait till TRI announce it

FYI, overall i choose KAEI HP-100 over Chord Mojo
@Asakurai any news?

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #60,680 of 99,879
Oct 27, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #60,681 of 99,879
Hello guys. Because it's been so long since my last time being here, I've missed out on a lot of things, and also lost some of my audio gear on the way (sold my Fiio X1 and E12A), and the only companion left is my CIEM Empire Ears Supra and the Fiio Q1 DAC.

Anyone got any recommendations for DAP or DAC or IEMs that are no more expensive than $230?

I feel like that's the only limit I can do for the moment one at a time due to financial situations I rather not delve into.

Thanks a lot. :)

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #60,682 of 99,879
Hello guys. Because it's been so long since my last time being here, I've missed out on a lot of things, and also lost some of my audio gear on the way (sold my Fiio X1 and E12A), and the only companion left is my CIEM Empire Ears Supra and the Fiio Q1 DAC.

Anyone got any recommendations for DAP or DAC or IEMs that are no more expensive than $230?

I feel like that's the only limit I can do for the moment one at a time due to financial situations I rather not delve into.

Thanks a lot. :)
I'm a fan of the Xduoo X20 in this price range. It lacks a touch screen interface and volume knob, but has a dedicated Line/Digital Coax output port next to the 3.5mm phone out and 2.5mm balanced out (300mW). No streaming, but it does everything else quite well.

The HiBy R3 Pro Sabre is also quite nice, as is the Shanling M2X.

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #60,683 of 99,879
I'm a fan of the Xduoo X20 in this price range. It lacks a touch screen interface and volume knob, but has a dedicated Line/Digital Coax output port next to the 3.5mm phone out and 2.5mm balanced out (300mW). No streaming, but it does everything else quite well.

The HiBy R3 Pro Sabre is also quite nice, as is the Shanling M2X.
I've heard a bit about the X20. I don't mind a lack of touch screen since I did came from a touch-screen-less DAP like the Fiio X1 MK1 after all.

The only thing that matters to me is if the sound is good or not. Everything else is secondary to me. Balanced output would be a welcome addition of course, since that makes auditioning 2.5/4.4 mm stuffs less of a hassle.

Also I don't care about streaming since I got plenty in my SD cards anyway.

I am not familiar with either Hiby or Shanling but I'll check them out if I got the chance.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #60,684 of 99,879
I've heard a bit about the X20. I don't mind a lack of touch screen since I did came from a touch-screen-less DAP like the Fiio X1 MK1 after all.

The only thing that matters to me is if the sound is good or not. Everything else is secondary to me. Balanced output would be a welcome addition of course, since that makes auditioning 2.5/4.4 mm stuffs less of a hassle.

Also I don't care about streaming since I got plenty in my SD cards anyway.

I am not familiar with either Hiby or Shanling but I'll check them out if I got the chance.
The HiBy R3 Pro Saber has been pretty good for me, but it depends on if you want a DAP or a proper cabled DAC/amp. It does do bluetooth with LDAC if you want to run wired IEMs but don't want to tether the DAP to another source. It can also do USB DAC functions, so you can use it as an audio output device on Windows and Mac. You can even use it as a bluetooth transmitter while in USB DAC mode if you have wireless IEM adapters or TWS earphones that support AptX, AptX-HD, or LDAC. And it also has the standby of microSD card support, so you can play things locally. I'd wait to catch it on sale, though, as the original retail price is a bit higher than I think it should be at around $190. As for IEMs, I've been loving the entry-level stuff from GS Audio, specifically their GD3A. If you want to wait, they're working on an even bassier version called the GD3C. Alternately, Fearless Audio has launched a new 1+1 design called the Barcelona at $118 that have a very promising looking graph.

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #60,685 of 99,879
The HiBy R3 Pro Saber has been pretty good for me, but it depends on if you want a DAP or a proper cabled DAC/amp. It does do bluetooth with LDAC if you want to run wired IEMs but don't want to tether the DAP to another source. It can also do USB DAC functions, so you can use it as an audio output device on Windows and Mac. You can even use it as a bluetooth transmitter while in USB DAC mode if you have wireless IEM adapters or TWS earphones that support AptX, AptX-HD, or LDAC. And it also has the standby of microSD card support, so you can play things locally. I'd wait to catch it on sale, though, as the original retail price is a bit higher than I think it should be at around $190. As for IEMs, I've been loving the entry-level stuff from GS Audio, specifically their GD3A. If you want to wait, they're working on an even bassier version called the GD3C. Alternately, Fearless Audio has launched a new 1+1 design called the Barcelona at $118 that have a very promising looking graph.
That all sounds rather promising for the Hiby. On paper the specs are looking impressive too since I do like Sabre DACs. (Still need to hear its implementation ultimately, though)

As for GS Audio I haven't heard about them, but I will say that I prefer a more neutral balanced sound that's not sibilant on treble or boomy on the low ends since nothing worse than an IEM with mid-bleeding bass where you can't identify anything from a track.

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #60,686 of 99,879
This is used but I know @marklivia here takes good care of his stuff, he barely used it. This might be what your looking for. Something new bang for buck IEM more neutrally tuned, sub bass, very good detail and imaging. https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/yanyin-aladdin-mint.9634/ This is a steal at his asking price for this set imo. It is 3 Knowles BAs + Bio dynamic for bass.

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #60,687 of 99,879
Hybrids just dont sound too much better especially at that used price. I know Yanyin is a brand you probably never heard of but. These folks are actually made up from a bunch of experienced tuners in the industry that decided to make their own brand and started making earphones last year under the Yanyin brand. I know your a graph guy so you can see this graph and see for yourself.
11545212.png

Sound is as smooth as this graph looks. I bet you will like. The only catch to the Aladdin here is that it is a 10 ohm sensitivity. They are sensitive to source outputs. Just about anything newer DAPs now a days have very low output impedance so not a big deal.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #60,688 of 99,879
Hybrids just dont sound too much better especially at that used price. I know Yanyin is a brand you probably never heard of but. These folks are actually made up from a bunch of experienced tuners in the industry that decided to make their own brand and started making earphones last year under the Yanyin brand. I know your a graph guy so you can see this graph and see for yourself.
11545212.png

Sound is as smooth as this graph looks. I bet you will like. The only catch to the Aladdin here is that it is a 10 ohm sensitivity. They are sensitive to source outputs. Just about anything newer DAPs now a days have very low output impedance so not a big deal.
Sounds pretty good, though yeah this is yet another name I never even heard of but if there's one thing I noticed is that the hybrid stuffs are increasingly cheaper by the time.

I remember back then those Dynamic + BA combinations cost a lot more...though I suppose it's not a fair comparison given that's over 5 years ago.

Also, while I do not read graphs, an acquaintance of mine who did remarked that the graph on paper looks decent but might still lack details and resolution though it's to be expected from a cheaper unit.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #60,689 of 99,879
Earphones have evolved quite a bit since even a few years back. Something like this Yanyin Aladdin about 3 years ago would have been in the $300-$400 range in price point.

There are numerous new Chinese brands that have driven the earphone market to the point where you will be shocked what you can get for even $100 range now a days for sound. The sheer variety of types of dynamics, hybrids even a cheap tribrids using 3 types of different drivers. Even your traditional single dynamics IEMs nowadays all use some type of coating that promises better sonics. Beryllium coated, titanium coated, Carbon/ graphene, composite based, Biofilm ect ect. Too many varieties to cover in one post. In fact it is not uncommon to come into this thread and see the folks here post about 2-5 brand new earphones they have seen in the market daily.

Todays mid fi level earphones was yesterdays top of the line. Todays budget level stuff sound more closer to mid fi level of earphone from several years back. Huge competition from so many manufacturers compete to make one better than the competition. This is good for the folks that enjoy this hobby but I have to admit sometimes it is very difficult to keep up with so many earphones and with new companies that pop up all the time.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #60,690 of 99,879
That all sounds rather promising for the Hiby. On paper the specs are looking impressive too since I do like Sabre DACs. (Still need to hear its implementation ultimately, though)

As for GS Audio I haven't heard about them, but I will say that I prefer a more neutral balanced sound that's not sibilant on treble or boomy on the low ends since nothing worse than an IEM with mid-bleeding bass where you can't identify anything from a track.
GS Audio is pretty new but they're the OEM for some other brands, so they do have some experience. I think the GD3A may be the IEM to beat in the sub-$100 price bracket. The DD they use is incredibly agile, so it matches well with the BAs. Like all of the GS Audio sets I've used, they're capable of getting crazy loud, so you'll want to make sure that their treble peaks don't align with your own harmonic resonant peaks. They avoid all of mine quite well, so I find them to be a fantastic set for the money. The way they handle bass and sub-bass is also quite interesting, since they have no sub-bass roll-off to speak of right up to 20Hz, and there's no mid-bass shelf, so male vocals don't end up sounding bloated or booming.

11532830.png

A graph from RikudouGoku comparing it to the DT200. While the peaks in the treble might look scary, I did not find that they sounded off in any way. It will depend on what your ears resonate to, though. So knowing what your peaks are makes or breaks that IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back