The discovery thread!
Jan 30, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #54,571 of 100,525
Gold&silver oil immersion cable technology,soaked in mineral oil for 20 days and dried at constant temperature for 10 days,
So if I were to cure some of my OEM cables in a solution of leftover "Newman's Own" salad dressing for 30 days, could I then say they've been treated to an extended, philanthropic, racing inspired, infusion bath ?

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #54,572 of 100,525
So if I were to cure some of my OEM cables in a solution of leftover "Newman's Own" salad dressing for 30 days, could I then say they've been treated to an extended, philanthropic, racing inspired, infusion bath ?

you should use snake oil!

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #54,573 of 100,525
And the price is?????

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #54,575 of 100,525
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #54,576 of 100,525
I was informed about this cable from ISN and yes it is a unique one but pricy. It seems it is a silver based cable with one half gold plating and the other palladium plating. I do believe the main sound properties are from the materials. The oil aspect is interesting. It does clearly say it is for antioxidation and interference of static electricity. Long life and no extra noise from the cable?

Which if you think about it how many times have you been walking around with your favorite earphone with a nice cable and you hear little blips and sound due to the cable rubbing against a pocket zipper or what not. So there could be some merit to what they are doing there. Adding oil to help silence the cable aspect is thinking out side the box and something that I know it would be easy to make fun of but these folks make these types of cable through a bunch of trial and error. I dont think they would charge $400 if that was ineffective or was hokey.

Interesting none the less.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #54,577 of 100,525
I was informed about this cable from ISN and yes it is a unique one but pricy. It seems it is a silver based cable with one half gold plating and the other palladium plating. I do believe the main sound properties are from the materials. The oil aspect is interesting. It does clearly say it is for antioxidation and interference of static electricity. Long life and no extra noise from the cable?

Which if you think about it how many times have you been walking around with your favorite earphone with a nice cable and you hear little blips and sound due to the cable rubbing against a pocket zipper or what not. So there could be some merit to what they are doing there. Adding oil to help silence the cable aspect is thinking out side the box and something that I know it would be easy to make fun of but these folks make these types of cable through a bunch of trial and error. I dont think they would charge $400 if that was ineffective or was hokey.

Interesting none the less.
I think as long as there is someone who is willing to pay stupid money, they can charge whatever for whatever :) I personally never heard any difference from different material cables I have tried, but I do not mind paying more for the cable, simply because I like how it looks :)

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #54,578 of 100,525
you hear little blips and sound due to the cable rubbing against a pocket zipper or what not

I'll, uh, deal with it XD

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #54,579 of 100,525
Well lets be honest getting something like an experimental iem cable should be on the bottom of ones priorities when it comes to our hobby. That is more than half the price to get a Dunu Zen Lol. You can get a Ibasso DX160 for that price. In any case lets leave that one for the cable threads. Onward and upwards.

A bit of a heads up if any of you guys have the Sony ZX300. Mr Walkman posted a new firmware for it. Guy does pure magic with his firmwares. Which reveals a few things. Sony seems to have great hardware but limits the sonic ability with software for a given price of their units. It is clear to me the ZX300 should have been so much more than what they offer out of the box. Stock sound was ok but was kinda boring to be honest. Then some guy that claims he got some new firmware he has been working on throws them on the forums and whala.

Gotta try it if any of you guys own it. It is shocking how great the ZX300 can sound with this guys firmware. Highly recommended.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #54,580 of 100,525
I have a ZX 300. It has a boring sound. If you could share a link etc to contact Mr. Walkman, I know that at least I would appreciate it.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #54,582 of 100,525
For the last thirty years or so, the larger audio community, listeners and creative types alike, has become polarized around the question of whether or not the cables used to connect recording and playback devices can affect the quality of reproduced audio. The competing factions can be loosely divided into two camps: the subjectivists and the objectivists. For subjectivists, a change in connecting cables in an audio signal chain can introduce a perceptible change in the sound of the system.
Objectivists point to measurements and formulae and insist that such perceptions of change have no basis in reality. Personally while sharing an objectivist desire to correlate experience with data, I am in the subjectivist camp. I hear subtle differences in cables. Mind you not as drastic changes as eartips rolling.

We subjectivists have typically listened to, and a lot of us have bought, many different cables for our sound systems. Given, in the opinion of the unenlightened, our obsessive natures, many of us have also digested white papers, engaged in debate about the merits of various conductor sizes, configurations and geometries, materials, alloys and laminates, and diverse insulating materials and connector designs. Yet, no one seems to question a simple and fundamental premise: conductor material is solid.

With a solid conductor, or rather, an alloy or element in a solidus (below melting point) atomic lattice configuration. In such condition, ‘electrical response’ , or electron flow, is restricted to electron orbital ‘co-joined’ pathways in the atomic lattice. This is the situation in what we call ‘DC Flow’ in the given conductor. This relates to named observations like Johnson–Nyquist noise.

A solid metal wire is confined to simple DC flow considerations, and all points above or beyond those DC considerations, with a complex AC audio signal applied to the solid wire cable are inherently a compromise and generate distortion.

So theoretically what we need to achieve in the best audio cable is with a liquid conductor.

In a liquid conductive pathway, things are markedly different, regarding electron transfer conditions and electron flow.

First, to define a liquid conductive pathway, in being one that is occuring at the ‘atom to atom’, or even ‘molecule to molecule’ level. Meaning, no solids in a liquid carrier. At the atomic level – a liquid, likened to that of liquid water.

Under such conditions as a true liquid conductor, electrical transfer characteristics change dramatically, in, for the most part, far more advantageous ways as compared to that of a solid conducting pathway. This, regarding use as an ‘audio’ cable in theory.

Theoretically if liquid metal cable is thin enough to exist and feasible for earphones, it will have RF waveguide considerations, magento-hydrodynamic flow and function considerations, as well as retaining some conditions of DC flow characteristics.

There is a company in Eastern Canada that already manufactures this kind of cable for the speakers and amps but they are quite thick and not ideal for a portable use. I am going to contact and suggest them to engineer something for us but probably not possible.

Actually what might be feasible is magnetic conduction patented by High Fidelity cable in US and how they preserve signal integrity by utilizing magnetism to enhance signal transfer. Magnetic Conduction consists of using magnetic fields with the precise strength, orientation, and dimensions as to concentrate electron flow inside the conductor. I used to own some of their cables for my speakers system and they were flexible and thin enough that it might be possible for us earphones enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #54,583 of 100,525
For the last thirty years or so, the larger audio community, listeners and creative types alike, has become polarized around the question of whether or not the cables used to connect recording and playback devices can affect the quality of reproduced audio. The competing factions can be loosely divided into two camps: the subjectivists and the objectivists. For subjectivists, a change in connecting cables in an audio signal chain can introduce a perceptible change in the sound of the system.
Objectivists point to measurements and formulae and insist that such perceptions of change have no basis in reality. Personally while sharing an objectivist desire to correlate experience with data, I am in the subjectivist camp. I hear subtle differences in cables. Mind you not as drastic changes as eartips rolling.

We subjectivists have typically listened to, and a lot of us have bought, many different cables for our sound systems. Given, in the opinion of the unenlightened, our obsessive natures, many of us have also digested white papers, engaged in debate about the merits of various conductor sizes, configurations and geometries, materials, alloys and laminates, and diverse insulating materials and connector designs. Yet, no one seems to question a simple and fundamental premise: conductor material is solid.

With a solid conductor, or rather, an alloy or element in a solidus (below melting point) atomic lattice configuration. In such condition, ‘electrical response’ , or electron flow, is restricted to electron orbital ‘co-joined’ pathways in the atomic lattice. This is the situation in what we call ‘DC Flow’ in the given conductor. This relates to named observations like

A solid metal wire is confined to simple DC flow considerations, and all points above or beyond those DC considerations, with a complex AC audio signal applied to the solid wire cable are inherently a compromise and generate distortion.

So theoretically what we need to achieve in the best audio cable is with a liquid conductor.

In a liquid conductive pathway, things are markedly different, regarding electron transfer conditions and electron flow.

First, to define a liquid conductive pathway, in being one that is occuring at the ‘atom to atom’, or even ‘molecule to molecule’ level. Meaning, no solids in a liquid carrier. At the atomic level – a liquid, likened to that of liquid water.

Under such conditions as a true liquid conductor, electrical transfer characteristics change dramatically, in, for the most part, far more advantageous ways as compared to that of a solid conducting pathway. This, regarding use as an ‘audio’ cable in theory.

Theoretically if liquid metal cable is thin enough to exist and feasible for earphones, it will have RF waveguide considerations, magento-hydrodynamic flow and function considerations, as well as retaining some conditions of DC flow characteristics.

There is a company in Eastern Canada that already manufactures this kind of cable for the speakers and amps but they are quite thick and not ideal for a portable use. I am going to contact and suggest them to engineer something for us but probably not possible.
Oh, boy!
Sophisticated subjectivism of trying to justify $400 cables...

AC impedance tests are well-developed to probe any cable impedance with as sophisticated signals as needed, easily into MHz modulation, beyond any Hi-Fi range!

The simple and well-undestood reason that only DC tests are typically performed is that the capacitance and inductance of the cables are negligible to matter, and even soaking in any snake oil won't change it any appreciably to even try to argue about it!

Even most ardent cable adept are not trying to argue about inductance and capacitance of cables any more, since it is futile (and easy to measure to prove or discredit any claims).

Nice try though with dropping the terms, such as "Johnson–Nyquist noise"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back