The discovery thread!
Jan 21, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #54,167 of 101,017
Cables all sound the same.

I'll buy you a $75 cable if you can reliably blind identify it from another.

Spend your money on ear tips if you want to optimize how an IEM sounds.

thicker vs thinner cables (that also applies to more or less braids of the same cable thickness) do sound different though, at least in my personal testing. no difference in sound relative to cable materials that i experienced myself.

but the difference is really small similar to small EQ adjustments that for me personally makes it not matter too much. comfort and reliability are more important for choosing cables for me

otherwise i much agree with you, eartips are definitely a much better investment for IEMs, also foams and silicone pads for earbuds

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #54,168 of 101,017
Cables all sound the same.

I'll buy you a $75 cable if you can reliably blind identify it from another.

Spend your money on ear tips if you want to optimize how an IEM sounds.

I agree eartips and its material and bore width play important part for shaping an IEM sound, but cable do make differences especially on materials and thickness, but differences are subtle.
DAP > eartips > dampers > cables in my priority order

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #54,169 of 101,017
I agree eartips and its material and bore width play important part for shaping an IEM sound, but cable do make differences especially on materials and thickness, but differences are subtle.
DAP > eartips > dampers > cables in my priority order
Grabbed some AZLA xelastic and some short ones for my galaxy buds, SpinFit, and 15 pair of the biggest jvc dots I can find. I'm officially done. Got my moms presents done. 7 iem's and a pair of Galaxy Buds, including the Blessing 2s, 2 PENON Fan, 2 Kinera bd005, and 2 Tiendirenhe/Paiaudio dr2. 10+ cables (electro acousti, linpro euphrosyne, faaeal x2, kbear rhyme x4, nicehck x2, tri through x2, and **** x2. 2 JDS Labs Atom amp, and the earbud tips. $1200 later and I'm done. Got some great deals. So now my collection has the HifiMan Sundara, Fidelio x2hr, Moondrop Blessing2, Galaxy buds, Kinera bd005, Paiaudio dr2, Penon Fan, JDS Labs Atom, Schiit Fulla 3, and my upgrade cables and tips. Done for a while lmao.

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #54,170 of 101,017
Jan 21, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #54,171 of 101,017
Yes, my guesstimate is the black ones are 2x+ denser than the whites (d10s only needed a white damper, Diamonds and Believes I use a stacked combo of white and black, though that might be more than strictly necessary, but I liked the results).
Edit. Pic might help!
I only recently started this practice (of adding layered, foam filters), when I got my Shuoer Tapes (not Pro). I've limited my adventures to IEMs with removable nozzles, as I'm not brave enough to repeatedly remove screens (as I experiment with how many layers are needed, for my individual preferences).

I wasn't aware that there's a retail solution, so I went the route of homebrew:
1. A roll of Sports Pre-wrap
1611227292971.png

2. A cigar punch tool, to make the discs
1611227473739.png

3. A coffee stirrer, to evenly apply the filters
Foam insertion.jpg

I prefer the multi layer approach. As was the case with the Shuoer Tape, I ended up using three layers. For my FiiO FD5, a two ply application (per side) was all that was needed.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #54,172 of 101,017
About the foams, I have been trying those foam filters with my LZ A7 and LZ A6. The first thing that I did after trying many days with my LZ A7 was to peel off the small filter inside the black nozzle and put foam. There is a difference in density between those two; the black one is way denser than the white one. I feel that the foam/sponge material works way better as a filter for high-mid and treble peaks than other materials.
Quote:
I also tried those foams previously. Since they are 100 pieces, you can ask him to give you 50 whites and 50 blacks. I later changed my mind and I recommend now a single piece of white foam in the black filter.
My previous post:
My foam filters arrived today from this store: https://a.aliexpress.com/_B00KPt
They are quite expensive but I'm just too tired of cutting uneven chunks of foams by myself, so I decided to give it a try.

There's two options: black and white. The white one is actually more like a sponge (less density) and the black one feels like your regular foam.

The size actually fits perfectly to the black nozzle. I need near 3 pieces of the white one to make the dampening effect even to the black one. I recommend the black one because of the density; a single little piece of this black foam got the job done instead of using 3 white sponge chunks.
It is actually denser than the foams that I have used previously, and the effect is quite apparent with it. Pushing the foam to the top of the nozzle didn't add an inmense quantity of bass; it only tamed down some high mid peaks. Now I can turn the volume of my Ibasso DX160 on high gain from 35 to 40 without hearing any sibilance, and the soundstage is quite differenciable on black-pop compared to blue and silver nozzle that still has the piece of cloth on the entrance.

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #54,173 of 101,017
I only recently started this practice (of adding layered, foam filters), when I got my Shuoer Tapes (not Pro). I've limited my adventures to IEMs with removable nozzles, as I'm not brave enough to repeatedly remove screens (as I experiment with how many layers are needed, for my individual preferences).

I wasn't aware that there's a retail solution, so I went the route of homebrew:
1. A roll of Sports Pre-wrap

2. A cigar punch tool, to make the discs

3. A coffee stirrer, to evenly apply the filters

I prefer the multi layer approach. As was the case with the Shuoer Tape, I ended up using three layers. For my FiiO FD5, a two ply application (per side) was all that was needed.
I stopped using diy cuts because it was so hard to channel match, but the cigar punch is an inspired solution. I went looking for one on amazon and found this as well!
12A7C338-5340-485B-A6AF-87B6FDA9125F.png
A whole universe of possibilities awaits. 2mm might actually be small enough to get into a BA if it’s mounted close enough to the end of the nozzle :xf_eek:
(KZ ZSX, you will be the first victim...)

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #54,174 of 101,017
We cant judge / know the density with its color, the only way is buy many sponges and trial and error method. Sony use low density sponges. And to date, i still think sponge is the best damper, thanks to Sony.
(I put my measurements using different materials on BLON thread long time ago).

Peaky KZs combine with sponges is great although their resolution isnt the best.

My KZ Z1 have more sessions than my Z1R but of course because they are TWS, but using sponges to tame peaks and then retune by EQ them, they sounded sensational. Bass going deep and soundstage is wide with good details and imaging.
Here is your post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blo...ressions-thread.916702/page-257#post-15814248

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #54,175 of 101,017
I stopped using diy cuts because it was so hard to channel match, but the cigar punch is an inspired solution. I went looking for one on amazon and found this as well!
12A7C338-5340-485B-A6AF-87B6FDA9125F.png
A whole universe of possibilities awaits. 2mm might actually be small enough to get into a BA if it’s mounted close enough to the end of the nozzle :xf_eek:
(KZ ZSX, you will be the first victim...)
I tried something similar to the multi-headed tool, but found the very thin, see through foam wouldn’t get a clean cut; as these tools are intended to punch through a much denser material, like a leather belt. For the cigar punch tool, I back the foam with cardboard. Without a firm backing, the punch tool just stretches the material, more so than cuts to the desired circular shape.

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #54,176 of 101,017
Grabbed some AZLA xelastic and some short ones for my galaxy buds, SpinFit, and 15 pair of the biggest jvc dots I can find. I'm officially done. Got my moms presents done. 7 iem's and a pair of Galaxy Buds, including the Blessing 2s, 2 PENON Fan, 2 Kinera bd005, and 2 Tiendirenhe/Paiaudio dr2. 10+ cables (electro acousti, linpro euphrosyne, faaeal x2, kbear rhyme x4, nicehck x2, tri through x2, and **** x2. 2 JDS Labs Atom amp, and the earbud tips. $1200 later and I'm done. Got some great deals. So now my collection has the HifiMan Sundara, Fidelio x2hr, Moondrop Blessing2, Galaxy buds, Kinera bd005, Paiaudio dr2, Penon Fan, JDS Labs Atom, Schiit Fulla 3, and my upgrade cables and tips. Done for a while lmao.
1200$ and only one decent set - and even this one could be bought with better tuning :grimacing:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #54,177 of 101,017
End grain chopping boards are great base surfaces for punching stuff.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #54,180 of 101,017
Good thing I could care less about your opinion. I researched enough to know that these are more than sufficient for my needs and as gifts, thanks though
Normally your type of response (from a relatively new poster) would have me hover over the ignore option. But why that poster (with over 500 posts) had to go out of their way "to piss in your cereal", is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back