The discovery thread!
Jan 21, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #54,196 of 100,639
Do you miss these little things? Warm reminder here: we only have 7 pairs of blue ones left in stock now, no stocks for the other colors, and the factory will stop to produce them, so no more KB EAR F1! Just grab the chance! :sunglasses:

KB EAR F1: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33013184490.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.4.544d9387DKM2e3

4.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #54,197 of 100,639
Still don't get the SSR hate. Its technical abilities dominate the budget segment imo. Such a kick @$$ product. SSP is just as good, but a slightly different flavour. Glad Moondrop released both instead of just releasing the SSP as a mild retune to the SSR.

I have a soft spot for the SSR myself and was one of the dissenting minority regarding that IEM. I'm glad I own both but wish the SSP had been released first in order to capture the majority of the coverage. I think more people would have given it the time of day (from a marketer's perspective at least) if perceptions hadn't already been coloured by fears about upper mids spiciness.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #54,198 of 100,639
Well the Moondrop SSP are a standout and would likely have received more attention and praise if the SSR hadn't turned so many people off in the beginning.

SSP is quite get me curious also to get.
The problem is many SSP reviews about moderate to high volume sounds because i like to hear iem loud enough at the edge of comfort before distortion.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #54,199 of 100,639
SSP is quite get me curious also to get.
The problem is many SSP reviews about moderate to high volume sounds because i like to hear iem loud enough at the edge of comfort before distortion.

I'm concerned about your hearing health :)

Another highlight of the SSP is that it graphs very similarly to the widely-hyped and lauded NF Audio NM2+:

graph.png

If the NM2+ is considered to sound as good as it does, then the SSP has to at least come close, right?

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #54,200 of 100,639
For my first ever published review here on head-fi, I felt that it should be the QKZ VK4 - the IEM that introduced me to this wonderful world of feeling happy and contented with a new gear and the always-present itch to acquire, just because there's something new that would change the world as we know it.

The Gateway Drug to the Never-Ending Rabbit Hole

Pros: Smooth and organic sounding
Big and boomy bass
Mids are awesome for their price
Very comfortable
VERY CHEAP!!!

Cons: Early treble roll-off
Maybe too much bass
Technicalities

Introduction:

At 9 USD, this is the second-cheapest IEM with removable cables (EDX is cheapest at 6 USD). This was the first-ever “earphones” I bought, if I don’t include the atrocious Xiaomi Airdots.

A plasticky, candy-colored shell started it all – and the rest was history. Here’s my take on the much-acclaimed, legendary QKZ VK4…

IMG_20210122_115338.jpg

These were plugged to my phones (Oppo Reno 4, iPhone 5s) and laptop (Asus X409). I still do not have a dedicated DAC/Amp and thus cannot test scalability with more power but I am considering buying an Apple Dongle and/or a cheap amplifier (Topping NX1s).

Build and comfort: Typical universal CIEM shape, reminiscent of some of KZ’s offerings, which is understandable as from what I’ve read, they are sister companies. Definitely “cheap-feeling” – light, toy-like, but with a wonderful advantage. Due to the plastic-build, they disappear in your ears. Cable’s serviceable – typical cheap stock cable (plasticky, tangly, and sticky). I switched to a 4 USD JCally 8-core cable.

----------
I feel like I’ve used the word "typical" quite a few times, and all of that ends here. Sound is what sets these apart from the rest.
----------

I’ve had these for quite a few months now, and while I am still skeptical in burn-in, I can tell that these improve over time, in that it became smoother and more controlled.

Sound:

Bass –
Goes deep. Bassheads will like this. Lots of quantity, a bit more boom than oomph. These are engaging, without reaching fatigue-territory. However, it isn’t the most tight or detailed. So, there’s that.

Mids – Organic and smooth as butter. Placed right smack in the middle. Not overly recessed where you have to focus/pinpoint just to hear it. It’s also not that elevated where you wince every now and then when things start to get shouty. It’s placed just right. Definitely influenced by the bass, having this warmish sound to it.

Highs – Previously had this peak that was annoying in some songs but disappeared over time. If you’re a treblehead, these aren’t for you. They’re not extended, a bit splashy, and aren’t detailed. However, for it’s purpose, these do the job. Just enough to provide a bit of sparkle in my life.

Timbre – I still don’t know how to fully describe timbre. I am a hobby musician, playing quite a few instruments, and to my ears, nothing sounds wrong with these.

Soundstage and Imaging – Definitely not like earbuds, which extend to the nether but aren’t congested as well. I’d say decent. Panning sounds aren’t that defined, where you feel like your head is spinning with the song (listened to 40 Layers for this), but they manage and get stuff done.

Separation – Does the job. However, due to the elevated bass, instruments don’t have that much space to move, which tend to sound congested in complex tracks.

Detail-retrieval – Due to the smooth mids and slightly early rolled-off treble, these end in the relaxed listen rather than critical listen. They do sometimes show here and there, but usually non-existent.

Conclusion:

These started it all for me and if I didn’t buy these, I wouldn’t have known the audio world. They have a special place in my heart and I won’t ever let go of these. A 9 USD IEM that graphs surprisingly similar to the 64Audio N8 Universal, Moondrop Starfield, and the AKG N5005 – what more can you ask for?

*These graph similarly to the 64Audio N8 Universal, AKG N5005, and Moondrop Starfield. I know that graphs don't tell the whole story, but that's something when a 9 USD IEM graphs better than more expensive ones.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #54,201 of 100,639
I love my Moondrop Blessing 2's. But I have a dilemma, I let my mom try them and she's addicted, it's adorable. I haven't seen her so happy since my father passed. Basically, she wants to buy them off of me and since I would have to wait for a new pair she said I could get anything under $350. What do I do????? Do I go for the 2 pair method and get something like the Penon Orb or BGVP ArtMagic vg4 and the iBassoIT00? Do I go with the BGVP DM8? Can I buy the Unique Melody 3d Terminator anywhere online? Basically I can't take it back at this point and not feel like a total jerk. Advice please? Greatly appreciated

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #54,202 of 100,639
I love my Moondrop Blessing 2's. But I have a dilemma, I let my mom try them and she's addicted, it's adorable. I haven't seen her so happy since my father passed. Basically, she wants to buy them off of me and since I would have to wait for a new pair she said I could get anything under $350. What do I do????? Do I go for the 2 pair method and get something like the Penon Orb or BGVP ArtMagic vg4 and the iBassoIT00? Do I go with the BGVP DM8? Can I buy the Unique Melody 3d Terminator anywhere online? Basically I can't take it back at this point and not feel like a total jerk. Advice please? Greatly appreciated

just buy a second pair...

https://www.amazon.com/Moondrop-Ble...=1611294516&sprefix=blessing+2,aps,278&sr=8-1

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #54,203 of 100,639
Jan 22, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #54,205 of 100,639
Also is it unheard of to buy two of the same pair if you like them or if you have a great discount?

No. i've done it, and i'm sure many have done it here too. If you love the sound and it's within budget, it's wise to get a back up pair.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #54,208 of 100,639
My 2021 Too Early But Still Valid Budget Recc : KZ DQ6!!! After 72+ hours of burn in, these triple dynamic driver ditties will be my go to birthday gift for friends and family. The bass has really opened up and are nowhere near as cardboardy as OOTB. Beautifully balanced, well extended, and wide stage. A very full, fun sound for under $30.00. WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #54,209 of 100,639
Ok first up.. MT300:

The bottom end boasts impressive extension and good impact but that’s where the good ends for me. Even though most of time, bass stays controlled, it sounds very disjointed from the rest of the frequency range and hollow. The midrange can be simply described as recessed, boasting average clarity for the price but sounding a little thin at times. Treble response is a bit spiky and unfortunately quite metallic sounding for me. I can’t shake the feeling that MT300’s dry mids and hard-edged treble together remind me of old defunct Fisher Audio products. Sorry but cannot recommend this one.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #54,210 of 100,639
I'm concerned about your hearing health :)

Another highlight of the SSP is that it graphs very similarly to the widely-hyped and lauded NF Audio NM2+:

If the NM2+ is considered to sound as good as it does, then the SSP has to at least come close, right?

Thanks, but i'm used to hear loud music at the pub.
If iem sound at least i get the sensation sit near the woofer and i'm gold lol.

As essential the frequency graph is, it's no doubt SSP do sound great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back