The discovery thread!
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #48,826 of 100,436
where do they rank? are they better than most dynamic driven earphones? are they good for the price range?
They rank in the TOTL DD tier. Definitely better than most DD IEMs.

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #48,827 of 100,436
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #48,829 of 100,436
So here is something interesting. Penon OSG. Just got these. So it seems Graphene is not only used for dynamics but how about higher end cables?
I posted about these on the mid tier cable thread but how they figured out there are sonic properties from Graphene material for cables is beyond me but interesting none the less.
Graphene in cables is absolutely beyond any common (and uncommon) sense.
But people buy names, and most entertaining would be to hear how graphene attenuates highs and lows - it actually may being a semiconductor (zero-gap one, theoretically, if you can really believe or at least imagine a real "single layer" in a cable) :)

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #48,830 of 100,436
Could you be so kind to compare BGVP ZERO to Shouer Tape and BQEYZ Spring? I am still choosing between second-hand Tape and brand new Zero - price is the same.
Spring is redundant if you have A6. BGVP Zero is excellent showcase for new TDK EST driver, but DD that integrated with it is so-so. It would benefit from dedicated DD sub-woofer and better tuning. Boomy low mids and mid-bass. Tape has high chance of failure from moisture condensation due to design flaw. Also, soundstage wise - Tape is inferior to all of them.
All of that said, Sping and Tape get zero ear-time, while Zero gets plenty. :wink:
Build quality of Zero is excellent. MMCX connectors are tight and not rotating easily, shell is smooth and fits comfortably.
Don't expect good sub-bass from it though... Buy it only if you want to get the taste of EST treble and listen to acoustic, instrumental, jazz, alternative and maybe old rock.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #48,831 of 100,436
Spring is redundant if you have A6. BGVP Zero is excellent showcase for new TDK EST driver, but DD that integrated with it is so-so. It would benefit from dedicated DD sub-woofer and better tuning. Boomy low mids and mid-bass. Tape has high chance of failure from moisture condensation due to design flaw. Also, soundstage wise - Tape is inferior to all of them.
All of that said, Sping and Tape get zero ear-time, while Zero gets plenty. :wink:
Build quality of Zero is excellent. MMCX connectors are tight and not rotating easily, shell is smooth and fits comfortably.
Don't expect good sub-bass from it though... Buy it only if you want to get the taste of EST treble and listen to acoustic, instrumental, jazz, alternative and maybe old rock.

@Owludio, you're my hero, mang! I had that ZERO in the cart for some time, and waiting to pull the trigger, and now i'm so glad i cancelled it. i do not like boomy anything. that's why i let go of the VE bonus that was recommended by a well known reviewer..BOOMY. I'm not a basshead. i prefer very fast, articulate, resolving bass over boomy mid bass or sub bass floor thud. So it sounds like not my signature at all. I listen to hip hop and pop every so often.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #48,832 of 100,436
Graphene in cables is absolutely beyond any common (and uncommon) sense.
But people buy names, and most entertaining would be to hear how graphene attenuates highs and lows - it actually may being a semiconductor (zero-gap one, theoretically, if you can really believe or at least imagine a real "single layer" in a cable) :)

Next up in the product pipeline: beryllium cables. Calling it now :)

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #48,833 of 100,436
So the EST is a more standard Electret than the magnetostat in the tape? I was meh'd by the tape so I might like the zero if it gives more of a taste of the sonion type EST driver.... Boomy bass is ok by me and I can take care of it with DSP.

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #48,835 of 100,436

Believe it or not, they do actually have beryllium copper things - hand tools, and also audio mmcx sockets!

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #48,837 of 100,436
@Owludio, you're my hero, mang! I had that ZERO in the cart for some time, and waiting to pull the trigger, and now i'm so glad i cancelled it. i do not like boomy anything. that's why i let go of the VE bonus that was recommended by a well known reviewer..BOOMY. I'm not a basshead. i prefer very fast, articulate, resolving bass over boomy mid bass or sub bass floor thud. So it sounds like not my signature at all. I listen to hip hop and pop every so often.
I'm not a bass head either but some acoustic songs weirdly benefit from BGVP Zero signature. Another IEM that impressed me this year is $60 FiiO FD1. Very fast driver. That 10mm Be DD - to me sounds faster than FiiOs own $460 FH7. It also has "the magic" with acoustic and vocals in greater degree than FH7. Tonality is excellent. BL03 doesn't come close IMHO. Never thought I'd be giving these cheap IEMs so much ear-time.
So the EST is a more standard Electret than the magnetostat in the tape? I was meh'd by the tape so I might like the zero if it gives more of a taste of the sonion type EST driver.... Boomy bass is ok by me and I can take care of it with DSP.
Yes, probably electret, but that driver seems to have more power than typical Sonion one. Also, compared to my Roland, treble tonality, or rather what people here call "treble notes" have more weight, sound less ethereal and in fact more natural. I don't have enough experience to tell if that is due to the tuning, or it's due to decay speed of the TDK driver, but I like that treble more than Rolands. Tuning could use some polishing, but with all shortcomings, I find it weirdly mesmerizing with acoustics. EQ indeed will fix most egregious flaws and can even push some sub-bass.
It's unfortunate that in both Tape and Zero, tuning has crippled their Giant-challenging potential. I own (also ABM based) Noble M3, which with good EQ is very, very impressive. But both Tape and M3 require more than basic EQ to correct their treble.

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #48,838 of 100,436
AFAIK pure chemical grade beryllium is a highly carcinogenic toxic hazardous material.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #48,839 of 100,436
This guy says bass is improved after burn-out
I watched that one and agree. (review is in Russian) Burn in changed it so much that I went back to my initial OOTB post and put an edit warning there. Massive change that would convert even most zealous burn-in skeptics. It still holds true to the graph. Bass is still boomy and rolled off. No amount of EQ or burn-in - will give that DD agility of something like FD1.:triportsad: But that's ok.
BTW, If FiiO FH3 has FD1 Be DD + better treble extension from Knowels BAs, - I'd be more interested in that one. I'll wait for impressions though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back