May 16, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #47,267 of 100,957
May 17, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #47,268 of 100,957
May 17, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #47,269 of 100,957
A clear RAI PENTA copycat lol

Let's see...
1589721726526.png

and
1589721776473.png

Penta is not green, not two-pin, not the same shape or seashell housing design, doesn't have the same number of drivers. Yes, a clear copy :) Sure your not thinking of something else??

May 17, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #47,270 of 100,957
Tip modding 102. You all know how I love to dink around with tips. Today was a great day because I just discovered how to make a better double flange tip with minimum effort. Well you need the right tips to do this little mod.

A bit of a back story. Love my new Luna. Goes without saying this earphone has been a freak of audio nature for me and I have been obsessing over it the entire time I have been enjoying it. The Luna is much smaller in person than what the pictures would indicate. Being physically a smaller earphone. Relatively the size of your average ear bud with no foams basically. Tips are of the utmost important aspect of getting a good sound. Well this applies for all earphones but most certainly the Luna. It is literally the difference of getting great sub bass to treble response and that is crucial.

This morning I had a bit of an epiphany and a serious Ah ha! moment. Luna comes with all sorts of tips but I have been using my Azla Sendafit tips with great results. But again due to the fairly small size of the phones the nozzle ends up being a tad short in relation to how they fit in my ears. So I started messing around with double flange tips when I discovered my long lost Sennheiser double flange tip. But for some reason it had another tip on top of it.

Hence my Ah ha moment.!! So check out these pics. This is what I did. What your gonna see are two examples of this double flange tip mod.
First the whirl wind tips I got a while back. Been collecting dust. Stupid design in that it has the widest opening of just about any tip but is so damn short it is useless. A lot of earphone stems end up being flush against the mouth or past it making these useless. And the well regarded Symbio W peeled of course. That is crucial that you take your foam out if you have them in the Symbio W tip here.
DSC07124.JPG
So as you can see this second step is to fold up the cap part of the smaller symbio. Well you dont have to do this but I did it to show you what I am about to do here.

DSC07126.JPGDSC07125.JPG

AS you all can see what I am doing here. Basically piggy backing the tips. So them Whirl wind tips are now useful infact this mod requires the widest bored tip you got.

DSC07128.JPG

Wha la!! So what does elongating your tip do. Well you tell me. How many times have you wondered what it would be like to elongate your earphone stem. Not only does this work but it has an added effect of widening the stage a touch a much more effective double flange but better. I hate that double flange and even triple flange tips get very narrow for the top part of the cap. This way you can piggy back your favorite tips with varying effects but mostly for the positive.

Here is another example. This mod works even better with a soft Sennheiser double flange. See how wide the nozzle is. It is ideal for this mod. And the tip next to it is a Sendafit Azla tip. Ya I am about to make a double flange with a wide mouth Azla tip.
DSC07129.JPG

Here you go.
DSC07130.JPG
This is the tip I am using my Luna actually. Both these made tips works well but the wide mouth Azla gives me a horn effect in my ear. My Luna sounds better than it ever has with this mod. I am sure you guys own a few earphones you wished the stem was a bit longer. Here is how you make an easy mod to remedy that situation. Give it a go. You can thank me later.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #47,271 of 100,957
Tip modding 102. You all know how I love to dink around with tips. Today was a great day because I just discovered how to make a better double flange tip with minimum effort. Well you need the right tips to do this little mod.

A bit of a back story. Love my new Luna. Goes without saying this earphone has been a freak of audio nature for me and I have been obsessing over it the entire time I have been enjoying it. The Luna is much smaller in person than what the pictures would indicate. Being physically a smaller earphone. Relatively the size of your average ear bud with no foams basically. Tips are of the utmost important aspect of getting a good sound. Well this applies for all earphones but most certainly the Luna. It is literally the difference of getting great sub bass to treble response and that is crucial.

This morning I had a bit of an epiphany and a serious Ah ha! moment. Luna comes with all sorts of tips but I have been using my Azla Sendafit tips with great results. But again due to the fairly small size of the phones the nozzle ends up being a tad short in relation to how they fit in my ears. So I started messing around with double flange tips when I discovered my long lost Sennheiser double flange tip. But for some reason it had another tip on top of it.

Hence my Ah ha moment.!! So check out these pics. This is what I did. What your gonna see are two examples of this double flange tip mod.
First the whirl wind tips I got a while back. Been collecting dust. Stupid design in that it has the widest opening of just about any tip but is so damn short it is useless. A lot of earphone stems end up being flush against the mouth or past it making these useless. And the well regarded Symbio W peeled of course. That is crucial that you take your foam out if you have them in the Symbio W tip here.

So as you can see this second step is to fold up the cap part of the smaller symbio. Well you dont have to do this but I did it to show you what I am about to do here.

AS you all can see what I am doing here. Basically piggy backing the tips. So them Whirl wind tips are now useful infact this mod requires the widest bored tip you got.

Wha la!! So what does elongating your tip do. Well you tell me. How many times have you wondered what it would be like to elongate your earphone stem. Not only does this work but it has an added effect of widening the stage a touch a much more effective double flange but better. I hate that double flange and even triple flange tips get very narrow for the top part of the cap. This way you can piggy back your favorite tips with varying effects but mostly for the positive.

Here is another example. This mod works even better with a soft Sennheiser double flange. See how wide the nozzle is. It is idial for this mod. And the tip next to it is a Sendafit Azla tip. Ya I am about to make a double flange with a wide mouth Azla tip.

Here you go.

This is the tip I am using my Luna actually. Both these made tips works well but the wide mouth Azla gives me a horn effect in my ear. My Luna sounds better than it ever has with this mod. I am sure you guys own a few earphones you wished the stem was a bit longer. Here is how you make an easy mod to remedy that situation. Give it a go. You can thank me later.
Clever. I happen to have both of those tips sitting on my desk, the stacked tips seem to fit me pretty well on the notoriously short nozzled Tanchjim Oxygen.

May 17, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #47,272 of 100,957
Dunu caters to the Asian market more than the western market so their earphones are a bit on the smaller size which ends up fitting more people so I suppose it is wise. Both the Dk2001 and my Luna have a short stem on them. With this mod both earphones fit my ears more proper and not to mention they both sound better.

You guys can try different tips as long as the base tip has a wide mouth. Which is key. Again the Whirl wind tips come handy for once. I might have to buy more Sennheiser double flange tips so I can try this mod on more of my earphones. It works great. Fit snug and best of all sound has improvement for both of the tips I made.

My Luna sound more spacious with even better layering, better sound separation as well, a bit wider stage with better dynamics. Vocals sound spectacular on the Luna but now even better. Give it a go with what you have. It will surprise you.

May 17, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #47,277 of 100,957
This "western market" bigger ears and "asian market" smaller IEMs is so dumb. I think audioreviews started with this claim and some people for whatever reason started parroting it and honestly it's funny, especially when you have products like Xelento and IE800 made by Germans LOL.

XDOEgSK.png

Agreed. However I was told this by Dunu just so you know. So not so dumb. I have owned plenty of larger Chinese made IEMs, your more right than wrong but I think in general it is better to make smaller shelled IEMs for universal purposes vs making a large one. Just makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #47,279 of 100,957
May 18, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #47,280 of 100,957
I'm still holding my breath for kz to make EXTRA large Starline tips! I'd be so happy if that happened, it's ridiculous to even think about it....

I'd immediately order 20+ sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back