The discovery thread!
May 27, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #36,376 of 106,715
Does anyone own the NiceHCK HK6 and the IMR R1, if yes, could someone do a quick comparison?

Furthermore, I've noticed that the NiceHCK Bro, which is a 1 DD and 1 BA IEM, has a rather big vent, the NiceHCK HK6 doesn't so I'm a bit worried about pressure build-up. So far every IEM I've owned had some kind of vent, the NiceHCK HK6 doesn't seem to have any vent at all? Does anyone experience issues through this, I'm a bit hesitant to order them. :)
LIke I said yesterday, I actually get pressure build up with the HK6, you need to tip roll. Even when using the Small Symbios when I walk around I notice the pressure in my ears. Switching to Small KZ Stars has fixed that at the cost of a little less isolation due to no memory foam core.

I disagree. I just got my HK6 and I find the mids very muddy out of the box. The graph is essential in showing if we have different or defective HK6s, because I'm not very happy either right now. Measurements are cold, hard facts and more important than flowery words or feelings.

Go for a smaller wide tip and also burn in. Like I said yesterday I heard a less than satisfactory midrange as well on my open listen but the change of going to smaller tips (Small Wide Symbio & Small KZ Star) made a very drastic difference. The burn in allowed the bass bloat to lessen quite a bit and the subbass extension to greatly increase. Sounds a lot more balanced overall now.

May 27, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #36,377 of 106,715
This is troubling for me. It's bothered me ever since Jim told me that Knowles AND Chinese made BA's are used on the HK6, and he's told other people that only Knowles are used. That leads me to believe that maybe people are getting cheaply made ones now that they're being offered at a discounted rate. Did you order yours before the discount was announced? I'm not trying to stir up anything, but I am genuinely concerned about what I'd receive if I ordered them now. I trust your ears @bhazard and value your opinions and impressions.
I don't think NiceHCK is selling different versions (even unknowingly). At least there is no proof that this is what's happening.
My raw measurement is very similar to the one NiceHCK provided, at least up to 6.5kHz.
His measurement shows a much higher rise to 8kHz (about 10-12dB), which should make the mids sound even more recessed than on my HK6.
It would also make a super aggressive treble.
I think this difference around 8kHz is simply due to using different measurement heads - his compensation curve may bring the 8kHz back down, if he'll post a compensated graph.

Go for a smaller wide tip and also burn in. Like I said yesterday I heard a less than satisfactory midrange as well on my open listen but the change of going to smaller tips (Small Wide Symbio & Small KZ Star) made a very drastic difference. The burn in allowed the bass bloat to lessen quite a bit and the subbass extension to greatly increase. Sounds a lot more balanced overall now.
No burn-in can get rid of a 13dB midbass hump - that's how big is the rise from 1.8kHz to 200Hz.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #36,378 of 106,715
For the life of me I am actively trying to make my HK6 sound muddy. I have tried at least 20 pairs of different tips. Including the provided stock silicones and double flanges.

Not a single pair yielded any type of muddy sound on my HK6. I am not ruling out that some folks are getting bad pairs of HK6. I tried some Sony hybrid knock offs LZ A5 tips. The tips don't actually fit all the way in. They only sit on the lip of the nozzle on the HK6. These are the opposite of the Spiral dots I have been using in that they have a narrow 2mm opening on the nozzle vs the 5mm on the Spiral dots. And I figured for certain I would get some messing of the frequencies. It does push vocals and treble a bit more forward in the mix but otherwise I was most certain these would yield some type of muddy response. I am just not hearing it.

I tried using the included double flanges and those just don't fit right for me. Had no bass and a lot of that fullness I am used to on the HK6 was completely gone.

May 27, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #36,379 of 106,715
With the HK6, listen to 5FDP which is mastered poorly and it's pretty much unbearable. Put on Gotye "Hearts a Mess" which is mixed and mastered really good and it sounds fantastic. Not forgiving at all

May 27, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #36,382 of 106,715
I have to say these comet are really Growing on me now.
I think I prefer this over the other iems.
Even though it has similarities with hk6, I have to say I have started liking this more than hk6 after some brain burn in.
It doesn't have too much boosted mid bass, but at the same time you get enough punch. There is good amount of details as well.
But if you are looking for dynamic driver level low end then this might not be the right choice.
Overall I feel this is a really great offering from campfire audio for 200 USD.
Also coming from campfire audio you wouldn't have much QC issues.
Being a single BA no coherence issues as well.
You don't have to worry about changing cable as they already provide decent cables.
You might have to play around with tips just to make sure you get good seal and something like spinfits can help bring out a little bit more bass.
So I feel in some ways this is a safer bet than hk6.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #36,383 of 106,715
What are you using for a source?
Mine is running directly from my 300R balanced with a Hybrid cable (Copper/Silver)

May 27, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #36,384 of 106,715
Mine is running directly from my 300R balanced with a Hybrid cable (Copper/Silver)
This was exactly like what I had with pioneer xdp30r. Really didn't like the sound of it from pioneer xdp30r balanced. I tried some other DAP and it did sound better. Also I know it's kind of stupid but after a little burn in, it did sound better on my pioneer xdp30r.
I don't even know if the is any burn in for BA based iem, but it did sound better, not sure if I got used to the sound or if changed over time.

So I would suggest you to try running it out of some other source for some time and see how it sounds. Also try some burn in tracks give it some time and then try again.

May 28, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #36,385 of 106,715
This is troubling for me. It's bothered me ever since Jim told me that Knowles AND Chinese made BA's are used on the HK6, and he's told other people that only Knowles are used. That leads me to believe that maybe people are getting cheaply made ones now that they're being offered at a discounted rate. Did you order yours before the discount was announced? I'm not trying to stir up anything, but I am genuinely concerned about what I'd receive if I ordered them now. I trust your ears @bhazard and value your opinions and impressions.

I have to give it more time, different cables, and a tip roll. I'm not a true believer of burn in, but I'm not against it either. My LZ a5 was noticeably off on my initial listen too, but got better with the right combo of filters and tips.

May 28, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #36,386 of 106,715
This was exactly like what I had with pioneer xdp30r. Really didn't like the sound of it from pioneer xdp30r balanced. I tried some other DAP and it did sound better. Also I know it's kind of stupid but after a little burn in, it did sound better on my pioneer xdp30r.
I don't even know if the is any burn in for BA based iem, but it did sound better, not sure if I got used to the sound or if changed over time.

So I would suggest you to try running it out of some other source for some time and see how it sounds. Also try some burn in tracks give it some time and then try again.
Lol I have no issues with the way it sounds from 300R, plus it's my only DAP. I dont have a need for multiple. I may run SE out of my Burson DAC for kicks though. Also, like I said I'm constantly running it through the JLab Burn In track.

May 28, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #36,388 of 106,715
BAs don't need any colored noise. They just need to be played. It is different with BAs for burn in vs the dynamics from past experience with BAs. Colored noise should work as well but not really necessary. No need for blasting either. I just set it on my laptop and play random tracks. Seems to do the job. I am 100% certain NiceHCK assembles the HK6 and sells them. Zero burn in from factory. I know this because when I ordered the DZ12. They made that earphone in record time just for me and had no time to run them in at any point. I don't expect them to do the same for a much cheaper earphone of theirs either.

Though I was burning in the Semkarch and my DZ12 at the same time on my burn in station when I first got them. I was blasting a bit louder than usual since the Semkarch uses a carbon nanotube dynamic. I discovered the next morning just how loud I had the DZ12 playing over night. Didn't harm them but got me a bit scared since it was blasting much louder than is humanly safe to listen to .

Speaking of Semkarch CNT1. I am putting the finishing touches for a write up. The bass on these things. Lol. These remind me a lot of the BGVP DM5 using black filters and to some extent the EDC when using copper filters. They isolate surprisingly well. Definitely more a fun tuning from Mr. LZ. They have more potent subbass than even the LZ A5. Bass is STRONG with this one.

May 28, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #36,389 of 106,715
Lol I have no issues with the way it sounds from 300R, plus it's my only DAP. I dont have a need for multiple. I may run SE out of my Burson DAC for kicks though. Also, like I said I'm constantly running it through the JLab Burn In track.
Ohho Sorry about that. I think I read too many comments and assumed that you had issues with pioneer and hk6.

I have to say I really like pioneer xdp30r balanced mode. ACG and normal balanced both sounds awesome. I think it would sound really great on 300r as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back