The discovery thread!
Nov 8, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #32,777 of 100,437
Nov 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #32,779 of 100,437
  My deepest and most sincere apologies for posting a better picture to showcase their difference and address your opinion with an objective fact. I'll make sure to be snarky next time for no reason.

"...share the same curves as the TFZ Series 1/3/5 and KZ ED12/ZST. Not sure if it's identical, but it looks pretty close."

I'll be less vague next time. Enjoy your purchase mate. Cheers.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #32,780 of 100,437
Nov 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #32,781 of 100,437
||  TFZ Balance 2M  ||​
========================​
Unboxing and Initial Impressions

Hey everyone! today I have the pleasure of talking about the newly released TFZ Balance 2M, a big thank you to TFZ for making it happen! I received them today and these are my very early impressions, so please take them as such. YMMV and I reserve the right to change my opinion as time goes on.

Their previously released Series 1, 3, and 5 series garnered attention for their ergonomic shells and tuning that was geared towards modern music. This was followed up by the Series 1S, 3S and 5S and they are working to release the Series 7 in time for December, suffice to say TFZ has not been sitting on their laurels. Always good to see companies trying new things!

Anyways lets get down to business!

Quote: TFZ
BALANCE 2/2M: A totally new series following the principle of “BALANCE THOUGHT". It has profounder understanding on sound reduction compared with SERIES series. In addition, it performs to every single details on materials and process technology etc. to be dedicated to providing a more intimate and extremely comfortable experience. BALANCE 2M is the replaceable version of MMCX.    

There are two variants: Balance 2M (MMCX removable cable) and Balance 2 (Fixed cable). 

Specification
  1. Speaker Driver:12MM (N52)
  2. Frequency Response: 5-40Hz
  3. Sensitivity: 108dB/mW
  4. Impedance: 16Ω
  5. Plug Diameter: 3.5mm
  6. Wire Length: 1.2M

The driver housing is metal, with a nice heft to it. Its solid and feels nice and snug in the ears. The connector is well reinforced and I didn't find the body spinning on the cable. The body is atleast as comfortable as the Series 1/3/5 iems if not more, since its not as deep an insertion. The nozzle angle is optimal for easy insertion without having to fumble around to maintain a constant seal. Comfort is quickly becoming one of my top priorities as I find that great sounding iems can be ruined by bad ergonomics. The stock cable (cable up) has little microphonics and is comfortable, easy to fold up and manage. TFZ was nice enough to include a spare cable, which I am assuming is a separate upgrade cable? Different color, no mic and a better plug. Will upload more details about it once I learn more.

I would also like to point out that the unboxing experience was really premium, coming with a plethora of accessories including a very impressive looking leather case. The unboxing experience was planned in such a way that you have to peel layers away to reveal the next compartment with goodies inside. Needless to say, their presentation game is on point. At MSRP of 199 USD I would expect no less, nonetheless I was thoroughly impressed.

And now for brief sound impressions:

1. Right off the bat, using the included wide bore tips, the sound is noticeably more balanced than the Series 1/3/5 iems
  2. Overall tonality on the warmer side of neutral with an overall balanced sound with an emphasis on bass (L shaped)
  3. Bass is no longer booming bass canons - more controlled and balanced than before; Has nice body and weight to it
  4. Tighter bass with good decay and impact and sub bass is also more prominent (<3 <3 <3); Can punch really hard with some songs
  5. More detailed than before, really surprised me out of my FiiO X7 with AM5 amp module; I would imagine it would be even more so, with the AM3
  6. Treble is polite yet extended, retaining a good amount of detail without coming anywhere close to being forward - good balance; Me likey! Way too many headphones boost treble to seem more detailed but the Balance 2M seemed to be detailed without having gone down that route
  7. Soundstage is not closed in and sounds expansive with out of head staging - which is helped by its impressive portrayal of depth in recordings
  8. The midrange is warm and lush while retaining good amount of detail; No noticeable bass bleed but will update with more listening
  9. Easy to drive, gets loud quickly; Sounded good out of my phone and laptop, improving noticeably with external dac/amps, especially the bass and details
  10. Overall a noticeable upgrade over the series 1/3/5 iems 
  11. If top 40 music is your jive (like me) then you should have this on your list of iems to try - jamming my spotify and tidal playlists with this baby and I am sitting here with a stupid grin on my face, really has me tapping my foot along with the music 
  12. I am quite sensitive to treble and  so I am always on the hunt for gears I can enjoy for long periods without ear fatigue and this appears to fit the bill so far (My stable now: HD600, Meze 99 classics, Zen 2.0, Nighthawks and the Balance 2M might be joining my stable as the only iem)

Its only been a few hours so I don't want to go too in depth but all the same I wanted to take this opportunity to document my initial impressions, and so far they are positive. Will post more detailed impressions later, followed by a full review.

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #32,782 of 100,437
If you were interested in Blue Ever Blue's most recent release, the Model 1200EX, now is a good time to get on board.

To help launch the Model 1200EX, Blue Ever Blue is for a limited time offering a $31 rebate. This is available to Head-fi members that purchase the 1200EX between November 10th and December 31st, 2016. All you need to do is purchase the earphone from their site (http://www.blueeverblue.com/product_model_1200ex.html), and send an email to info@blueeverblue.com along with your Head-fi username. Once received they will issue a $31 refund dropping the final price to $99. Sweet!

​

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #32,790 of 100,437
Hm that's unfortunate. I don't think I can back out now but their customer service has been great with me so far. See if you can initiate a return?

EDIT: Brought this up with customer service and I'll see what they say. I guess that's the issue ordering something that has only 3-4 units made. Unfortunately you're buying $150 worth of drivers so the labor and shell have to come out of the other $180. Definitely initiate a return(or even try to snap it back on or glue it).

EDIT 2: They got back to me and this is definitely covered under warranty. They apologized for the workmanship and said they would get in contact with the project manager overseeing the DC8, that that's the first they've seen that particular shell pop off or break. They also said any defects within a year will be replaced free with shipping to and from china covered on their end.

All that being said I will cautiously continue with my purchase as I got it for an excellent deal with the 11.11 sales coming up, and I at least have their words in writing over the 1 year warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back