The discovery thread!
Mar 11, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #28,846 of 100,890
Ok, my usual disclaimer, haven't had time to do a good 3 way comparison between DuoZa, Titan, and Heaven V, but did take Wildcatsare1's advice and put Comply foam iems on the Titans. Have been my go to iems since, really tames them without losing the fine bass and open sound. Try to post more impressions when I can.

I'll have to try some comply's on them, although I'm completely happy with the red stock tips. I posted the below in the titan thread, but they are some reasons I'm digging them so much:

"I gotta say, that the Titan1's have become my favorite "out and about" iems. Even though they don't isolate really well, they:

(a) are small
(b) are light
(c) have an awesome tangle free cable
(d) don't stick out of my ears in an imposing/scary manner
(e) are very easily driven (no brick required!)
(f) have immersive bass and immersive sound that quite effectively blocks outside noise. I find that I can even use these at the gym (which can get pretty noisy).
(g) stay in the ears incredibly well. At the gym, I can grimace all I want and these puppies never pop out!
(h) lesser isolation when the tunes are turned off such that I can actually hear what somebody is saying to me without having to take them out

and most importantly..
(i) they sound friggin' incredible.

So yeah, I'm liking me titan1's :)"

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #28,847 of 100,890
I'll have to try some comply's on them, although I'm completely happy with the red stock tips. I posted the below in the titan thread, but they are some reasons I'm digging them so much:

"I gotta say, that the Titan1's have become my favorite "out and about" iems. Even though they don't isolate really well, they:

(a) are small
(b) are light
(c) have an awesome tangle free cable
(d) don't stick out of my ears in an imposing/scary manner
(e) are very easily driven (no brick required!)
(f) have immersive bass and immersive sound that quite effectively blocks outside noise. I find that I can even use these at the gym (which can get pretty noisy).
(g) stay in the ears incredibly well. At the gym, I can grimace all I want and these puppies never pop out!
(h) lesser isolation when the tunes are turned off such that I can actually hear what somebody is saying to me without having to take them out

and most importantly..
(i) they sound friggin' incredible.

So yeah, I'm liking me titan1's :)"

Same sentiments here just that I don't do any gym. It does sounds friggin incredible with stock tips and spiral dots tip. Will have to get my hands on some comply foam though. Btw, are we talking about the T200 comply foams? Thanks.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #28,848 of 100,890
At work, don't find them as great a fit as you guys, tend to do badly with these "pretend earbuds" (difficult, mutant left ear in general), never seem quite in as I feel they should, but the sound, to me, is greatly enhanced with the Comply. Try to get to the comparison later. Actually have all 3 at the same place, same time, now just have to squeeze out the time to have my wife comment on my geeky routine, playing a song, changing headphones, playing same song, changing headphones, playing same song, then changing song, repeat ad nauseum... :D

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #28,849 of 100,890
At work, don't find them as great a fit as you guys, tend to do badly with these "pretend earbuds" (difficult, mutant left ear in general), never seem quite in as I feel they should, but the sound, to me, is greatly enhanced with the Comply. Try to get to the comparison later. Actually have all 3 at the same place, same time, now just have to squeeze out the time to have my wife comment on my geeky routine, playing a song, changing headphones, playing same song, changing headphones, playing same song, then changing song, repeat ad nauseum...
biggrin.gif

repeat as necessary!

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #28,850 of 100,890
OK, a bit more on the Titan 2, Duoza, FAD Heaven V duel. I'm at work, left my notes at home, but I did a bit of listening with hi rez files through my Pono, Dead's "Uncle John's Band", tracks from the Band's eponymous 2nd album "Jemimah Surrender" and others, Joni Mitchell's Blue "California", a bit through my Geek Out Special Edition (sounds great, but such a pain, difficult to change headphones often, crashes JRiver if it gets slightly loose).
So, just a quick summary (spare you 4 pages of notes)
I had thought the Titan was better than the Duoza in soundstage, openness, but had a bit of tizziness, an electronic haze, if you will, or harsh highs if you want to pin it. When I put on the Comply tips, this was mostly ameliorated, still the slightest bit remains, but not enough to be disturbing. Highs could be a bit more detailed, lows good, The Duoza does have a bit more body to instrument textures, a bit more slam in the bass (though the Titan is not lacking in these areas), but definitely less in perceived detail (need to listen in) and soundstage/space between instruments.
The FAD is a bit different, detail is there like the Titan, highs better/more natural. Lows not a strong as either, but I can live with the bass. What the FAD does is that it has this coherence to the sound, the different details don't sound like separate details, but come together in an organic way. Jemimah Surrenders has an instrumental break, where Robbie Robertson is blasting on the right channel, with brass support in the left channel, is an arrangement that sounds disjointed on the Duoza and the Titans, but sounds coherent and funky on the FAD.
Then I put on the Audeo PFE 232, and forgot all of them, great iem!

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #28,851 of 100,890
On Duoza, I can definitely hear the coherency issue on some song, though it doesn't retract from my enjoyment, it is there. The JVC FXT200LTD did much better job on this where it practically sounds like a single driver IEM but with great separation and positioning. However it also has that titanium diaphragm funky upper-mid-high that I just can't ever get accustomed to (I could hear this with RE400 too, so I doubt I wouldn't hear this with Titan 1).

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #28,852 of 100,890
OK, a bit more on the Titan 2, Duoza, FAD Heaven V duel. I'm at work, left my notes at home, but I did a bit of listening with hi rez files through my Pono, Dead's "Uncle John's Band", tracks from the Band's eponymous 2nd album "Jemimah Surrender" and others, Joni Mitchell's Blue "California", a bit through my Geek Out Special Edition (sounds great, but such a pain, difficult to change headphones often, crashes JRiver if it gets slightly loose).
I had thought the Titan was better than the Duoza in soundstage, openness, but had a bit of tizziness, an electronic haze, if you will, or harsh highs if you want to pin it. When I put on the Comply tips, this was mostly ameliorated, still the slightest bit remains, but not enough to be disturbing. Highs could be a bit more detailed, lows good, The Duoza does have a bit more body to instrument textures, a bit more slam in the bass (though the Titan is not lacking in these areas), but definitely less in perceived detail (need to listen in) and soundstage/space between instruments.
The FAD is a bit different, detail is there like the Titan, highs better/more natural. Lows not a strong as either, but I can live with the bass. What the FAD does is that it has this coherence to the sound, the different details don't sound like separate details, but come together in an organic way. Jemimah Surrenders has an instrumental break, where Robbie Robertson is blasting on the right channel, with brass support in the left channel, is an arrangement that sounds disjointed on the Duoza and the Titans, but sounds coherent and funky on the FAD.

@doctorjazz nice impressions, I don't usually do burn in, but I did not like the Titan 1's highs at all. I hooked them up to a 5 disc changer with different generes and let it play at repeat all for around 50+ hours and they are very well balanced now it seems, definitely tamed the highs.
PS the PFE-232's are almost 2 times as much as the above IEM's.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #28,854 of 100,890
I have the DEF m200 at home some place, but I think my sample had a channel imbalance, and I could never get a good fit, so I'm not sure I can give much info. I'll pull them, though, at some point.
I also like the Titans much at this point, the highs are noticeable in direct comparison, doing the back and forth audiophile comparison routine, but in regular listening find them quite enjoyable
And, the Audeo are indeed much more expensive, but they are discontinued, and are sometimes offered at half of the initial price. Great deal if it comes up again, imo. Comfortable, sound great, at half price not out of the range of what many spend here...

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #28,856 of 100,890
  Has anyone here tried the FLC 8? Saw them on lendmeurears. Like a bajillion tuning combinations or something(OK, 36). No way headfi could ever come to a consensus about what they sound like.
tongue.gif

Kunlun has.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #28,857 of 100,890
  Has anyone here tried the FLC 8? Saw them on lendmeurears. Like a bajillion tuning combinations or something(OK, 36). No way headfi could ever come to a consensus about what they sound like.
tongue.gif

WT....................!!!   :)

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #28,858 of 100,890
Looks like an instrument of toture..."Ve Vill Make You Talk, Ha Ha Ha!!!"

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #28,859 of 100,890
tongue.gif

There were some measurements taken by Innerfidelity a while back quote:
"Joker's Box-O-IEMs - As usual I received a dandy package of IEMs from ljokerl. Most unusual of all (and a pain in the butt to measure) was the FLC Technologies FLC8, which has three different replaceable acoustic filters. Each filter position has either 3 or 4 different filters that can be used to tune the FLC8. There's no way I was going to measure all 36 different combinations. Fortunately, the headphones come with some recommended settings:
Neutral;
Vocals;
 Strings/Piano;
 Light Music;
and
 Pop/Rap; "
From http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-update-january-2015

Those measurements look nice but goodluck finding the right combination...still need more concrete reviews on these.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #28,860 of 100,890

Thank you for the comparison doctorjazz. Looking into the Heaven V to compliment my current iems since it have a different presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back