The discovery thread!
Jun 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #25,142 of 100,758
  Neutral sound sig with bass kick or musical large sounding earphone with wood as your driver.. The FX750 is at an all time low in price as well so that is also a good deal. 

Thank you ds. I might as well get the fx750. :)

Happy listening fellas!

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #25,144 of 100,758
  Doppios are some of the most sensitive iems I own actually so it doesn't surprise me your hearing a bit of noise. I would try some other sources and see if you can hear some noise. Out of my Geek Out and DX90 I hear no noise what so ever but I can understand as they are so sensitive.

You know, I probably should have mentioned that AP100 is a big contributor to this white noise.  That damn thing outputs 2.2Vrms from HO!!!  So imagine pumping that much power into low impedance headphones with 113dB/1mW sensitivity.  No wonder I'm hearing that noise floor.  I just did a/b comparison with X5 which has 1/4 of that output in Low Gain setting, and after 25+ hours of burn in the noise is hardly noticeable (and you are right, bass is improving!!!).  So it sounds like I'm pairing up Doppios with X5 from now on.  These guys continue to go up my list of top headphones, can't get enough of their sound!!!

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #25,146 of 100,758
Got music on the sd, still don't "see" the dx90 internal memory on pc...try again tomorrow. Initial, not burned in impression...underwhelmed, sound much more alive through GO1k, but this is before any burn in. Now that I have some music on it, time for the kazilion hour burn in:)

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #25,148 of 100,758
Did a bit more listening to iBasso (nothing like insomnia:xf_eek:). Started with Doppios, sounded dull, flat. Changed to Sony H3, still not quite there. Changed again, SM64...ahhhh, much better, more full, much detail at the same time. Got to play with this baby a bit more...

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #25,150 of 100,758
Did a bit more listening to iBasso (nothing like insomnia:xf_eek:). Started with Doppios, sounded dull, flat. Changed to Sony H3, still not quite there. Changed again, SM64...ahhhh, much better, more full, much detail at the same time. Got to play with this baby a bit more...

Are you talking about DX90 or DX50?  Any hardware source that makes Doppios sound dull/flat is a red flag in my book :)  I mean, when I compared X5 to AP100, Fiio sounded duller/flatter in comparison to AP100 in 24b/192k up-sampling setting (but X5 itself still sounds great).  Doppios are truly amazing and I'm full-speed-ahead on their bandwagon now lol!!!

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #25,151 of 100,758

Are you talking about DX90 or DX50?  Any hardware source that makes Doppios sound dull/flat is a red flag in my book :)  I mean, when I compared X5 to AP100, Fiio sounded duller/flatter in comparison to AP100 in 24b/192k up-sampling setting (but X5 itself still sounds great).  Doppios are truly amazing and I'm full-speed-ahead on their bandwagon now lol!!!

First time listen to new, non-burned-in version of DX90. I think it tends to the flat/analytical side of things, as opposed to the X3, my other "high end" DAP, which tends to warm things up. Thus, headphones that also tend to flat/analytical don't match as well as ones with some warmth. (The Fiio is the opposite-I tend to lisen to it through line out, either ALO National, or Ray Samuels H2). It has been said, though, that the DX90 also needs many hours break in to sound its best, just listened for the first time yest, so this is basically out of the box impression. Stay tuned, I'll update. Now gonna to go on dogwalk, take Thinksound On1 and iBasso, some iems (maybe the Doppios again).

Day 5 Detox diet...survived so far. Last night slept terribly, realized my wife and I had "cheated" with ONE small square of unsweetened dark chocolate, tiny amount. Chocolate does have a version of caffeine, and we both reacted to that small amount, up much of the night. Got to hear some cd's I hadn't played yet, and some great hi rez downloads by The Band, it's all good...(since detox, hearing/sound discrimination up now by 36.2% :normal_smile :

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #25,152 of 100,758
Um, Hey guys, haven't posted in awhile due to mental health complications, some family issues, school, love life complications, and a variety of other things...
In any case, I just wanted to ask for a good amp to upgrade from my Schiit Magni for use in my vinyl setup, and a nice portable amp to use on the go, as my E11 seems to be kicking the bucket in the near future. I will be driving them with a variety of headphones such as Grados, Shure srh440's, Akg K545's and possibly a pair of planars I'll be getting in the future.

Another thing while I'm here, I would like to apologize for never finishing those reviews that I promised you guys months ago now, life's a bit difficult and unexpected at times, but we still need to deal with it.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #25,153 of 100,758
OK, had DX90 burning all day, FAD Hope VI burring past few days, playing the 2 together, another of those matches made in heaven, listening to this right now, sounds FABULOUS (actually listening to different track by him, not on YouTube, like this one though, listened to a bunch, for you, of course, The album How To Be a Cannonball, I have loaded on DX90, sounds great...

(Still having trouble with tagging...Did all the loading of the sd card drag/drop, DX90 works in file explorer mode, a few albums appear in Album/Artist sections, but most don't. Have to find out how to fix tagging. (generally don't have this problem with iPod, or even Android player). Any suggestions/links? Thanks

(One more, from todays Dogwalk Discoveries...I have it as studio version, could only find live on YouTube, but you'll get the idea...

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #25,154 of 100,758
Mornin'...need psyching to get out to dog walk this morning, this should be a good pick me up...

Just about to test my DX90, had it charging all night, think I may have to send it back, but check it out again this morning first.

(Day 6 Detox, almost half way, can't wait for RETOX!!!)

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #25,155 of 100,758
I'm actually listening to the box set pictured here on the living room big rig, great set, have to post one more Albert Ammons (He was Gene Ammons dad, a great tenor sax player, if you must know:wink::)
This one with his band for the session

Users who are viewing this thread

Back