The discovery thread!
Mar 16, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #23,176 of 102,860
Hey, took the JVC's off burn, >100 hours, sound quite different than it did pre break in. I'm not gonna gush, not my style, but these things are the real deal. I know the new Beck HDTracks download is controversial (gotten my earful from some angry Head-Fi'ers), but, sheesh, track 2, X3->National->JVC 850 playing a few minutes ago. Boy, if this is a bad sounding download, I don't think I could stand how beautiful the better sounding recordings of this are. At any rate, enjoying these in my frist post burn in, got the Sony H3 on the burn in station now, see how they fare (ane the ATH-IM70 up for the station after that, burn, baby, burn!!!!

All I know is that I heard the below on Jimmy Fallon, and that's all I need to know that I'll be buying this Beck album. Ever since discovering his Mellow Gold album, which I have absolutely loved over the years, I've been waiting for him to come up with another classic. Based on your impressions, and what I just heard, it's here!

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #23,177 of 102,860
Haven't listened to Beck before...this one got great reviews, so I thought I'd check it out, downloaded it from HDTracks. It's a really beautiful album, great sounding (imo-this is the source of great contention if you go to the Head-Fi home page and go the the HDTracks notice about Bob Dylan Hi Rez downloads being available there. I did purchase Beck at HDTracks, some contend that it was sourced from the cd master, which is Red Book Quality, and not Hi Rez. If you upsample CD quality to higher bit rates, it is still, of course, the same information-you haven't increased the resolution any. Seems someone has posted measurements of this, and these are supposed to have found the Beck CD to not be Hi Rez. I have no way to confirm or deny that it is better, worse, or the same sounding as the LP or MP3 done, not having them available for comparison. Can only tell you I really enjoy listening to the record, as downloaded from HDTracks).
Listening more to the JVC's tonight, heard the HDTracks version of The Band (what a GREAT album, don't know if it was confirmed as REAL HD, but I've never heard Robbie Robertson's guitar as cleanly delineated, great wide stage, JVC's did well by the album. Now listening to the recent album by Vampire Weekend, fun, interesting indie album, recording not as good imo as the Beck and The Band, still enjoying the JVC's, though. Have to do that review for The Audiophile Voice comparing W4 and W40, haven't done head to head, been too busy to get to the review, but, when I do, may throw JVC in as an comparison.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #23,178 of 102,860
Haven't listened to Beck before...this one got great reviews, so I thought I'd check it out, downloaded it from HDTracks. It's a really beautiful album, great sounding (imo-this is the source of great contention if you go to the Head-Fi home page and go the the HDTracks notice about Bob Dylan Hi Rez downloads being available there. I did purchase Beck at HDTracks, some contend that it was sourced from the cd master, which is Red Book Quality, and not Hi Rez. If you upsample CD quality to higher bit rates, it is still, of course, the same information-you haven't increased the resolution any. Seems someone has posted measurements of this, and these are supposed to have found the Beck CD to not be Hi Rez. I have no way to confirm or deny that it is better, worse, or the same sounding as the LP or MP3 done, not having them available for comparison. Can only tell you I really enjoy listening to the record, as downloaded from HDTracks).
Listening more to the JVC's tonight, heard the HDTracks version of The Band (what a GREAT album, don't know if it was confirmed as REAL HD, but I've never heard Robbie Robertson's guitar as cleanly delineated, great wide stage, JVC's did well by the album. Now listening to the recent album by Vampire Weekend, fun, interesting indie album, recording not as good imo as the Beck and The Band, still enjoying the JVC's, though. Have to do that review for The Audiophile Voice comparing W4 and W40, haven't done head to head, been too busy to get to the review, but, when I do, may throw JVC in as an comparison.

I can't imagine why lol! You need to get in more dog walks!

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #23,179 of 102,860
:)

I can't imagine why lol! You need to get in more dog walks!
:)

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #23,180 of 102,860
Haven't listened to Beck before...this one got great reviews, so I thought I'd check it out, downloaded it from HDTracks. It's a really beautiful album, great sounding (imo-this is the source of great contention if you go to the Head-Fi home page and go the the HDTracks notice about Bob Dylan Hi Rez downloads being available there. I did purchase Beck at HDTracks, some contend that it was sourced from the cd master, which is Red Book Quality, and not Hi Rez. 

This kinda stuff annoys me:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=morning+phase

And how are you supposed to know what you're getting from HD tracks? That's annoying as well.

What makes it less annoying is that I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway, so I can just go for the cheapest option lol

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #23,181 of 102,860
Word of warning on the Beck...this is not party music! He basically has 4 tempos...slow, really slow, dirge, and "does this guy still have a pulse?" beautiful stuff, though.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #23,182 of 102,860
People need to realise that HD is a scam because its theoretical benefits aren't even appreciable by human ears. There's a potential benefit resulting from other factors if the files on HDTracks come from different sources than the standard releases, but HD has nothing to do with it. Everyone could save themselves some storage space by avoiding that stuff.

Don't take it from me, take it from a genuine expert: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #23,183 of 102,860
Y'know, u can find experts on any side of an any subject...
Good sound is complex, Many factors come into play. Analog vs digital arguments have been going on more than 30 years. The difference is likely multifactorial, but many think the original Red Book standard is a big part of it. That doesn't automatically make a larger file better than CD quality, but other things being equal, my opinion is that the sound quality improves.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #23,184 of 102,860
Doppio price dropped to 12,394 yen on Amazon.jp:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ZERO-AUDIO-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AA%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E3%83%9B%E3%83%B3-%E3%83%89%E3%83%83%E3%83%94%E3%82%AA-ZH-BX700-CD/dp/B00GPB59EA

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #23,187 of 102,860
anyone here tried the sennheiser ie80 with galaxy silver cable? I find it way better than all my previous iems namely w4,um3x,gr07,fx700,etc.
Doesnt sound like an in ear and has a super big soundstage that rivals headphones. Id compare this almost to my UM merlin

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #23,188 of 102,860
Ok, so I tried to get the Doppios through one of the services, couldn't get it to work, gonna take it as a message, "you don't need any more headphones". There, feels better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back