The discovery thread!
Jan 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #20,521 of 106,829
  looking forward to your comparison of the a900x and if you can get one an ad900x and the new ath re700s you love.  i don't have any of the ath 900 series but have always been curious about them.
DS recommended the es700s to me and i love my used set.  always looking for that upgrade, the holy grail of phones (in that 200 range)
Martin Logan 90s have been available for 60$ on sale at several sources over the holidays   after about 90 hours of burn in mine sound great, definitely not a bass head phone. but nicely balanced and musical!
not electrostatic, and not flat, but tuned for musical enjoyment. highly worthy esp at that price.  leather construction  a plus.  but unique sound sig. not at all like the eph200s or ath phones. 

Will do audio soldier!

These sound different from the es700 signature as welI, hear the es700 grainier, a bit rougher, still smooth and silky, but not as much as the re700s now. The treble is an improvement on the re700s, and the bass is a great improvement as well. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #20,522 of 106,829
That was then, as often happens when a number of Head-Fi folks get interested in a particular headphone, the price has gone up a bit...I look at the ads, seems to have moved to the $90-110 range fairly consistently. I have the A900x, but haven't pulled it out a while or compared to the ML's. Ordered the Dunu's (saw on sale, what could I do?). Probably take another week or so for Heaven to arrive, burning in Om's now.
Sent a review of a jazz CD to my old editor...wrote for The Audiophile Voice for many years, mostly jazz reviews, then work got too busy to keep it up. Let you all know when it should appear (the magazine is print only, no online presence). Fun to do, glad it's done.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #20,524 of 106,829
Vlenbo, see you have the Ortofon iem's, seen them for sale occasionally in the Headphone for Sale forum, not that much I've seen on them but what I have seen was positive. Curious what you think of them.
Back to Mog-seems they were purchased by Beats (yes, THAT Beats) about a year ago. The Mog site says they are supposed to stay independent and continue doing the same stuff they've been doing. Mog as a separate service will disappear in April, though there is supposed to be some way to move a Mog account to Beats Music if you want (the app for Beats is supposed to be available in the Apple and Android stores). The paid service, for anyone who uses it (I did) will be more expensive from what I see, though they haven't provided all details yet.
I liked Mog, not sure if I'll make the Beats switch, guess could always try it out. They will allow playlists to carry over to Beats, but Favorites seem not to be movable due to a different confuguration at the new site.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #20,525 of 106,829
Vlenbo, see you have the Ortofon iem's, seen them for sale occasionally in the Headphone for Sale forum, not that much I've seen on them but what I have seen was positive. Curious what you think of them.

IM02 VS Ortofon - EQ5

Song to test female vocals, guitars, treble, piano, thickness, bass, and soundstage.

Yasashisa no Riyuu, from this link.

Beautiful song it is.

Im02 - BASS: Now, I thought the bass would not show up in this song that well, but it does with gusto! the drums from this track are awesome, though it is the same rhythm. The im02's drumming power has more weight and balance than the eq-5s. The drums and bass are near equal in db to the highs and mids. The texture and tightness of the bass is impeccable, while having a sweet sound to it that makes it slightly warm and smooth. 

MIDS: The females who sang this sound so angelic, they're pretty much there in front of you singing a lullaby. Their voices are airy with the im02, smooth, but also pretty clear. The clarity is astounding for having a smooth sound, and not to forget the instruments playing as well. The guitars are more detailed on the im02s, have a bit more crunch, but also have the thickness to help them sound natural, the timbre is better on the im02s. The piano has a great tone and weight to it as well, you can easily hear a change of pitch on the im02s, even on the eq-5, but somehow, the im02 sounded better, possibly due to the forwardness of the mids. Not that much of a fowardness, but a bit nonetheless.

Highs - The cymbals, oh man, they sounded pretty powerful and crisp, yet still smooth for your ears to enjoy. This is a big difference with the im02s as their highs are well extended, and detailed to the point where it reaches the bright limit. It's slightly bright, but no silibance at all. There is awesome texture on the cymbals, and the striking power of the cymbals here are easier to note on the im02s than the eq-5s.

EQ-5 - BASS: Again, the bass is plentiful here, and I have to say, it is impressive how the im02s have similar bass quantity to the eq-5, but since the eq-5's bass is smoother and thinner (the im02's bass is definitely a bit more thicker and not as lean), the bass on the eq-5 would need to ramp up its db to appease an audiophile's crave for bass. The im02 does a decent job at this. The drums sound a bit more dull and thin on the eq-5s than the im02s, and aren't as detailed either. The staging on the eq-5 is cleaner than the im02s due to the thinness, but the im02s have just as good of a clean sound sig as other ba phones.

Mids: It's smooooooth, buttery smooth, not liquid smooth, but damn...it's good. The im02s pale in comparison, but the sacrifice for such lush mids are the details you get to hear from the vocals and instrument timbre. It's not as accurate as the im02s because of this, and the clarity does not disappoint, but for similar pricing to the audio technica offering, it's better to spend the money on the im02 for more detail and a smooth sound sig. Instruments are not harder to discern with the eq-5s, but the weight is gone, and female vocals aren't as forward or airy. That's probably the culprit of the sound sig in the mids, nothing in the sound sig is as airy as the im02s, it feels more enclosed than the im02s, but it is airy enough to compete with other single bas. The guitars aren't as crunchy or as detailed as the im02s, but it is pretty detailed in its own right, just that the smooth sound sig did deteriorate the guitar. When you drink water, you enjoy the feeling of the liquid passing through you, that's how the eqs sound like. The im02s are like how ice cream goes through your throat, you feel the ice cream turn to liquid, but before that, you get that creamy taste as you swallow. That's what the im02s are.

Highs - The cymbals are a bit more....ehh..not plasticky, but definitely not as real or airy as the im02s, especially in the detail. The highs are also too smooth, and pretty thin that you won't hear as much of a depth and great micro details like the im02s. The power of the cymbals also get detracted because of the smoothness, no matter how hard they strike, it'll sound weak and thin. It's also slightly bright, but not as detailed as the im02s, texture is decent, not as great as the im02s, and the fullness is missing again. :frowning2: it's good though!

Soundstage: IN terms of size, they're similar, but the im02s take the cake by being a bit more wider and taller. The imaging is great on both, but I give the nod to the im02s, especially since I have an easier time hearing the positioning on them than the eq-5s. The eq-5s's thinner sound makes the soundstage sound cleaner, however, which makes image picking easier for the listener, but at the cost of losing the immersion of the im02's. Despite that, the im02s still beat it at soundstage depth and width.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #20,526 of 106,829
Back to Mog-seems they were purchased by Beats (yes, THAT Beats) about a year ago. The Mog site says they are supposed to stay independent and continue doing the same stuff they've been doing. Mog as a separate service will disappear in April, though there is supposed to be some way to move a Mog account to Beats Music if you want (the app for Beats is supposed to be available in the Apple and Android stores). The paid service, for anyone who uses it (I did) will be more expensive from what I see, though they haven't provided all details yet.
I liked Mog, not sure if I'll make the Beats switch, guess could always try it out. They will allow playlists to carry over to Beats, but Favorites seem not to be movable due to a different confuguration at the new site.

Nice Time mag article in last issue about the Beats empire, financial windfall, and how they got there.   Supposedly they have 17 or so sound engineer on the staff creating that sound sig that they
think modern urban hip listeners want to hear, a stadium sound through headphones, not an analytical audiophile sound.  Their new Beats music serve will be based on emotional responses to the music
and time place memory links rather than the algorythmns that other services use.  we might not like this kind of design and serving, but they certainly have been successful for themselves in their business
model and target audience. very interesting article.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #20,527 of 106,829
  Will do audio soldier!

These sound different from the es700 signature as welI, hear the es700 grainier, a bit rougher, still smooth and silky, but not as much as the re700s now. The treble is an improvement on the re700s, and the bass is a great improvement as well. 

thanks for the new moniker, "audio soldier"  I salute you too bro!  We are marching on a quest towards the sound that will bring glory and peace to our ears hearts minds and wallets!
in the mean time, there is chaos, strange missions, and danger to our ears, wallets, and peace of mind....

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #20,528 of 106,829
Sure-how many do you want?
Kind of Blue-Miles Davis (almost any Columbia Miles up to around 1969 is great listening, though the later the year, the more abstract the music starts to become. In the late 60's he went to jazz-rock fusion, which I love, but is a controversial period, and definitely more challenging listening than Kind Of Blue).
Duke Ellington and John Coltrane (Impulse)-great way to break into the music of these great jazz giants (each has who knows how many worthy albums of their own). If you'd like an album with smooth vocals, but somewhat more aggressive instrumental background, John Coltrane Meets Johnny Hartman (Impulse) is great
Bill Evans-Waltz For Debby (Riverside), again, Evans has many great albums, but this is a good starting place.
Charles Mingus- Oh yeah (Atlantic)
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong-Ella and Louis/Ella and Louis Again...HEAVEN!!! I believe I posted "Cheek to Cheek" by these two somewhere in this thread. Vocal nirvana!
Sonny Rollins-Way Out West or Saxaphone Collussus (Prestige), hard to pick, Way Out West is fun, with the version of "I'm An Old Cowhand"
Modern Jazz Quartet-Blues on Bach; In Memoriam (Atlantic)...Don't listen to them much these days, but when I started listening to jazz, the combination of classical composition and jazz chops/improv (vibes player Milt Jackson is a monster) made them an easy way to break into jazz.
Ben Allison-Peace Pipe (Palmetto), something different, a bit more "modern" or "contemporary", he has a large discography and tours with different units, which all have something to offer
Ornette Coleman-The Shape of Jazz to Come (Atlantic, I believe)...the beginnings of Avant Garde/free jazz, but very listenable (hadn't broken all the shackles of harmony/rhythm yet).
Charlie Parker-The Savoy Master Takes. These are repackaged in many forms, but are the Rosetta Stone of Bebop/modern jazz

That's 10 for starters, more if you'd like later. (it is all somewhat arbitrary, could have substituted many albums by the same artists, and there are many more artists that could make the list, but it's a start)

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #20,530 of 106,829

IM02 VS Ortofon - EQ5

Song to test female vocals, guitars, treble, piano, thickness, bass, and soundstage.

Beautiful song it is.

Im02 - BASS: Now, I thought the bass would not show up in this song that well, but it does with gusto! the drums from this track are awesome, though it is the same rhythm. The im02's drumming power has more weight and balance than the eq-5s. The drums and bass are near equal in db to the highs and mids. The texture and tightness of the bass is impeccable, while having a sweet sound to it that makes it slightly warm and smooth. 

MIDS: The females who sang this sound so angelic, they're pretty much there in front of you singing a lullaby. Their voices are airy with the im02, smooth, but also pretty clear. The clarity is astounding for having a smooth sound, and not to forget the instruments playing as well. The guitars are more detailed on the im02s, have a bit more crunch, but also have the thickness to help them sound natural, the timbre is better on the im02s. The piano has a great tone and weight to it as well, you can easily hear a change of pitch on the im02s, even on the eq-5, but somehow, the im02 sounded better, possibly due to the forwardness of the mids. Not that much of a fowardness, but a bit nonetheless.

Highs - The cymbals, oh man, they sounded pretty powerful and crisp, yet still smooth for your ears to enjoy. This is a big difference with the im02s as their highs are well extended, and detailed to the point where it reaches the bright limit. It's slightly bright, but no silibance at all. There is awesome texture on the cymbals, and the striking power of the cymbals here are easier to note on the im02s than the eq-5s.

EQ-5 - BASS: Again, the bass is plentiful here, and I have to say, it is impressive how the im02s have similar bass quantity to the eq-5, but since the eq-5's bass is smoother and thinner (the im02's bass is definitely a bit more thicker and not as lean), the bass on the eq-5 would need to ramp up its db to appease an audiophile's crave for bass. The im02 does a decent job at this. The drums sound a bit more dull and thin on the eq-5s than the im02s, and aren't as detailed either. The staging on the eq-5 is cleaner than the im02s due to the thinness, but the im02s have just as good of a clean sound sig as other ba phones.

Mids: It's smooooooth, buttery smooth, not liquid smooth, but damn...it's good. The im02s pale in comparison, but the sacrifice for such lush mids are the details you get to hear from the vocals and instrument timbre. It's not as accurate as the im02s because of this, and the clarity does not disappoint, but for similar pricing to the audio technica offering, it's better to spend the money on the im02 for more detail and a smooth sound sig. Instruments are not harder to discern with the eq-5s, but the weight is gone, and female vocals aren't as forward or airy. That's probably the culprit of the sound sig in the mids, nothing in the sound sig is as airy as the im02s, it feels more enclosed than the im02s, but it is airy enough to compete with other single bas. The guitars aren't as crunchy or as detailed as the im02s, but it is pretty detailed in its own right, just that the smooth sound sig did deteriorate the guitar. When you drink water, you enjoy the feeling of the liquid passing through you, that's how the eqs sound like. The im02s are like how ice cream goes through your throat, you feel the ice cream turn to liquid, but before that, you get that creamy taste as you swallow. That's what the im02s are.

Highs - The cymbals are a bit more....ehh..not plasticky, but definitely not as real or airy as the im02s, especially in the detail. The highs are also too smooth, and pretty thin that you won't hear as much of a depth and great micro details like the im02s. The power of the cymbals also get detracted because of the smoothness, no matter how hard they strike, it'll sound weak and thin. It's also slightly bright, but not as detailed as the im02s, texture is decent, not as great as the im02s, and the fullness is missing again. :frowning2: it's good though!

Soundstage: IN terms of size, they're similar, but the im02s take the cake by being a bit more wider and taller. The imaging is great on both, but I give the nod to the im02s, especially since I have an easier time hearing the positioning on them than the eq-5s. The eq-5s's thinner sound makes the soundstage sound cleaner, however, which makes image picking easier for the listener, but at the cost of losing the immersion of the im02's. Despite that, the im02s still beat it at soundstage depth and width.

So let me see if I can guess which one youlike better...hmmmm....give me a minute....hmmmm....Guess the IM-02...

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #20,531 of 106,829
Love the song, BTW

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #20,532 of 106,829
  The Voxoa is a pretty good BT 4.0 headphone with aptX. $79 this week in that newegg link. Original price $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA21U12U4123

This is the OEM for $52
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Super-Deal-wireless-Bluetooth-v4-0-HiFi-stereo-headsets-with-mic-music-bass-noise-cancelling-headphones/315487_932595734.html?spm=5261.7049941.1996153261.169&promotionId=251087006

^ Oh so THATS what those cans are that i be seeing on the frontpage here. Don't care for BT stuff in cans but that's good to know that they can actually sound half decent for cheap. haha

IM02 VS Ortofon - EQ5

Beautiful song it is.

^ Haven't read it yet, but looks like a interesting comapro.
ksc75smile.gif

Those Ortofon - EQ5 caught my attention recently and it seems like they are of pretty high demand. Though i probably can't deal with their funky bullet shape/ no strain relief, not like i want to get them but just saying. : P

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #20,533 of 106,829

Nice Time mag article in last issue about the Beats empire, financial windfall, and how they got there.   Supposedly they have 17 or so sound engineer on the staff creating that sound sig that they
think modern urban hip listeners want to hear, a stadium sound through headphones, not an analytical audiophile sound.  Their new Beats music serve will be based on emotional responses to the music
and time place memory links rather than the algorythmns that other services use.  we might not like this kind of design and serving, but they certainly have been successful for themselves in their business
model and target audience. very interesting article.

The Mog email on the subject promises that the service will remain the same-Mog had a reputation for good sound, used larger files than other services, but, that remains to be seen, of course

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #20,534 of 106,829
  After 84 hours of burn-in, no further changes in the Piston - I think it's time to stop.
It's as good as Carbo Basso, and it's a great achievement for an IEM under 30$.

Hello everybody, long time lurker first time poster, and I was wondering if anyone agreed with this or could share their own comparisons between the Piston 2s and the Bassos or  Tenores? Thank you

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #20,535 of 106,829
@doctorjazz 
Yup, I like the im02s more than the eq-5, but I still like the eq-5, they're still special to me, :)

I'll read up on your mog post soon, I was busy trying to a/b the es700 and the re700 treble, I have to say, It's a mixed bag...

the es700 has more bite than the re700, which gives it more presence, but the re700 is smooth, sounds more natural...I can't tell if that is natural though, haven't heard cymbals except drums, guitars, piano, violins, and such. If someone could point me to the right direction...
redface.gif
 I'd be grateful.

@sfwalcer 

It is interesting that it's getting rave demands at the moment, didn't expect that. I will sell my cheap iem collection here, and will ponder if I will sell the ortofons and hifiman's re-262s. :p

The ortofon's bullet feels nice and smooth in my ears, though cold...and it does look a bit awkward....and the cable is annoying...oh wait!

The cable is the downfall of the ortofons imo, I think it'll be okay if you're pretty cautious though..
@doctorblue

LOL, I love your plot on this headphone world. We'll come up at arms with our headphones as our weapons soon enough, comrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back