The discovery thread!
Sep 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #14,161 of 106,644
How do the S2's compare sound wise to the CKN70's? Are they of a similar signature? Do the S2's have more quantity of bass?

I'm thinking of getting these as they are cheaper than the CKS1000's but there are 2 things I'm worried about. I know people have been saying these aren't great for isolation but would I still be able to shut myself off from my surroundings if say, I was on a bus? Would I be able to hear people talking? Would they be able to hear my music? My second issue; How well do these sound without and amp/dac? Do they still sound great?

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #14,162 of 106,644
Bought the W4(r) again. Thinking about selling the wonderful H-200. Probably. Nothing wrong with the sound at all, just enjoying the M200 and S2 more. And I'm missing the W4, but now I'll be able to put a custom cable on it. And I'll have the Cardas on Monday.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #14,163 of 106,644
  How do the S2's compare sound wise to the CKN70's? Are they of a similar signature? Do the S2's have more quantity of bass?

I'm thinking of getting these as they are cheaper than the CKS1000's but there are 2 things I'm worried about. I know people have been saying these aren't great for isolation but would I still be able to shut myself off from my surroundings if say, I was on a bus? Would I be able to hear people talking? Would they be able to hear my music? My second issue; How well do these sound without and amp/dac? Do they still sound great?

Thanks.

The S2 has a fuller more three-dimensional sound than the CKN70. The CKN70 is still a great little earphone with rich detail, but I think the S2 beats it in micro details too on a bigger scale. The CKN70, isn't as neutral sounding as the S2 (just compared both recently). Yes, there's quite a bit more bass in the S2, but the CKN70 is lacking with bass. CKN70 is still a nice earphone for the money. Build wise the CKN70 can't compete at all with the S2.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #14,164 of 106,644
Hey head-fiers.  The company that we do not name just further delayed delivery of the X1s and now is offering money back and ten percent credit for those no longer willing to wait for delivery of X1.
im wondering if the other new headphone choices from ONKYO or KEF  or MARTIN LOGAN has surpassed the X1 as a viable choice for great headphone listening and musicality w bass as opposed to accuracy.
any opinions on abandoning ship on the x1s and choosing another headphone instead??? thanks for your thoughts..

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #14,166 of 106,644
Sep 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #14,167 of 106,644
THANK you sir danny bay!  i respect your opinion and will wait.
waiting also on whiterabbitjapan.com for a quote on the S2s with shipping.
1ks now available on amazon isa for 199.99 with domestic shipping.
thats tempting too...for i do love, like DS, that audio technica house sound.
reminds me of the old JBL monitor sound, just sounds like rock music
(or any music with a bass line) should sound...

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #14,169 of 106,644
THanks for the music recommendations, DB, and will check em out.  new music is always a great gift!
especially on good head phone and ism  systems....
thanks for appreciating my enthusiasm, i write gonzo rreviews of concerts and bands that i produce
live shows their albums....in the spirit of hunter thompson....life is for getting excited about.....HA!

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #14,170 of 106,644
Yeah, it's reasons like the one DrBlue just described as well as the issues with the Aune T1 (Shipped versions were of inferior build quality) which were featured a little while ago, that HF doesn't agree with the practice of said site. If you google Groupon, a lot of the merchants and users of Groupon are stuck with the same issues as well.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #14,171 of 106,644

The S2 has a fuller more three-dimensional sound than the CKN70. The CKN70 is still a great little earphone with rich detail, but I think the S2 beats it in micro details too on a bigger scale. The CKN70, isn't as neutral sounding as the S2 (just compared both recently). Yes, there's quite a bit more bass in the S2, but the CKN70 is lacking with bass. CKN70 is still a nice earphone for the money. Build wise the CKN70 can't compete at all with the S2.

+1

Although I really like my CKN70's I don't think the doe anything better then the S2.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #14,172 of 106,644

Quote:

+1

Although I really like my CKN70's I don't think the doe anything better then the S2.

Nice. That's what I was hoping to hear
normal_smile .gif

Would you say the CKN70 is closer in sound signature though to the S2 than the CKS1000 to the S2? Would I be able to hear people on the bus with it? What's it like without an amp/dac?

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #14,173 of 106,644
I briefly asked Ds about this, but how do you S2 owners find the bass? I am trying to compare it to my Carbo Bassos. I like the bass levels on my Bassos, it is enough for me, but I'm not sure if the Bassos are considered as 'bass-heavy' looking at it from a neutral point of view. I like the look of the S2s more than the IE-HF300s but the bass is the only thing I am really concerned about.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #14,175 of 106,644
Anytime drblue. And thank you for your always enthusiastic posts.

For anyone that are fans if Godspeed, silver mt Zion and so on, the new album from Esmerine is a killer.

OMG !!! I did not know it was already out.
MUST check it out. Thanks DannyBai.. and for who does not know Esmerine, they are definitely a "discovery" worth to be mentioned in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back