The discovery thread!
Sep 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #13,606 of 106,567
Quote:
I concur.  Thumbs up to ericp.  

Quote:

Bad news I didn't get my Onkyo phones. Good news I did get my Zu cable. Gotta give props to our good buddy ericp10 for helping us discover this one.

I know it is difficult to believe that a simple cable can bring a sound level that was already on point on the X1 but that is exactly what these cables do..Sure it is a bit more costly than your average cheapo good looking cable you can buy from monoprice/mediabridge and such.  But excellence never comes cheap.  To put it simply what I was hearing from my X1 using these Zu cables was a new spin on the X1. Basically a new level.. I was perfectly happy with just using my Media bridge cables until I heard what these cables do to the sound on the X1.

Guys that own the X1..These are it..I can't possibly see how anything can sound better on the X1. If you guys thought the X1 was not capable of  higher end sound. You are wrong. Just get a pair of these. I knew this cable was gonna make my X1 sound better but what I heard last night is not just better..I have never heard my X1 sound this nice.. The sound is lusher. A much cleaner blacker background..Distinct instrument separation. Sound is more refined all of it from the treble sparkle to the bass extension. .

Look at it this way for you guys that own the X1. If I was to tell you there is a new version of the X1 called the X1-Zu.. Where you get even a higher resolution sound from your X1. How much would you pay? $150? $100? Nope it is $35 from ebay.. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and completely worth the $35 asking price).. Guys that don't believe in what a cable can do for your sound..Be prepared for a revelation..My X1 has completely separated itself from my humble collection with the addition of this cable. Sell off one of your cheapo earphones and get the cable. Guaranteed to get your stupid grin happening.

Thanks guys! 
beerchug.gif
 ... This is why we're such a cohesive splinter group in the head-fi world. Some call us hype-train members, but in actuality we just go about pointing out great gear for fellow head-fiers that give you the most bang-for-your-buck. You don't have to spend $1,000 to get sound that in some cases is 80 percent to 90 percent of that $1k product at a fraction of the cost. 

And you would be surprised at the number of earphones, headphones, and other audio products that Dsnuts and DannyBai  (and even I) are asked to review but they won't even write about it because it sucks. My parents always taught me that if you don't anything nice to say don't say it at all. I try to live up to that most of the times (I don't always succeed ... lol). 

The Zu is incredible, but I've found cables that use pure silver to usually step up the sound quality of earphones/headphones. Dsnuts forgot to mention that these cables need a good burn-in before they start shining. I would say it will reveal what it can do in enhancing your headphone after 50 hours (but the company actually recommends 400 hours for it to shine completely). All of my phones have to fight harder for listening time at home when I have my X1 on my ears with the Zu. Happy listening!!

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #13,607 of 106,567
Oh for real..I was saying to myself..But my X1 sounds excellent already. Geeze man they sound like they got upgraded drivers or something. Unbelievable and this is from an overnight burn in. Last night was after a few hours and the sound was stupid something fantastic.

It was one of those Ah ha moments. Wow what a find and a half. You guys already know how much I love my X1 but we are not posting this find on the X1 thread. No.. Not this one. This is for you guys to find out on our discovery thread. You know what these cables get? My highest award.You bet they get.!

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #13,608 of 106,567
Quote:
Oh for real..I was saying to myself..But my X1 sounds excellent already. Geeze man they sound like they got upgraded drivers or something. Unbelievable and this is from an overnight burn in. Last night was after a few hours and the sound was stupid something fantastic.

It was one of those Ah ha moments. Wow what a find and a half. You guys already know how much I love my X1 but we are not posting this find on the X1 thread. No.. Not this one. This is for you guys to find out on our discovery thread. You know what these cables get? My highest award.You bet they get.!

...............................And now I have to get myself a pair of those X1s, and the cables. Darnit!

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #13,609 of 106,567
Can anyone compare de TDK IE800 (not Sennheiser) to the s2? I've always thought the TDK IE800 were highly bang-for-the-buck at $99 from amazon, sorta lean on bass though... Wonder if the s2 are a significant upgrade.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #13,610 of 106,567
Quote:

LOL 
beerchug.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #13,611 of 106,567
Quote:

...............................And now I have to get myself a pair of those X1s, and the cables. Darnit!

I would look in the sale forums for a used pair.. Those guys selling their X1s. Only if they heard what they sound like with these cables. Lol..

Actually I would get the X1 first and get them nice n loose and then get the cables later. You will appreciate the jump in sound quality. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #13,612 of 106,567
Quote:
I would look in the sale forums for a used pair.. Those guys selling their X1s. Only if they heard what they sound like with these cables. Lol..

Actually I would get the X1 first and get them nice n loose and then get the cables later. You will appreciate the jump in sound quality. 

I'll wait for round 2 of the site which shall not be named to get them I have enough to keep me satisfied for now. :wink:

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #13,613 of 106,567
Quote:
Can anyone compare de TDK IE800 (not Sennheiser) to the s2? I've always thought the TDK IE800 were highly bang-for-the-buck at $99 from amazon, sorta lean on bass though... Wonder if the s2 are a significant upgrade.

I'll listen to my IE800 and compare for you later. I do know off the back that the S2 has more bass. The IE800 does have a decent amount of bass, but it's more mids-focused (beautiful mids). The S2 is more fuller sounding and more neutral though.. I like the S2 better as a preference, but the IE800 is a great earphone (especially for the current price of under $100 on amazon.com). And since both are dual-dynamics, I'll say right now the IE800 can't touch the M200.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #13,614 of 106,567
@ Exesteils.. Good call. I think a few guys should be getting those soon..I am running through my test tracks for treble extension. Vocal clarity. Instrument separation. bass impact and sub bass extension. Geeze guys..

These cables are ruining all my other phones for me. To think this cable needs almost a months worth of use before they are fully burned in is crazy to think about. I always though you had to spend over several $100s for cables to make an impact on your sound but these have shown me something..I will just say next to a solid source to drive your X1 with these cables make the second biggest impact on the sound. If you have both be prepared for an experience. My mind is boggled by what I am hearing right now. The clarity and space, the lushness. It just don't get much better for me. I know the sound of my X1 real good too and these cables just make the phones shine like mad..

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #13,616 of 106,567
Quote:
would love to hear any comparisons between the ie-hf300 (with the copper silver-plated cable) and the ie-fc300 (reg cables)
also how well they compare to the m200/h200 in sound sig/quality

The hf300 has a slightly clearer mid-range and a wider sound to them but they are pretty similar.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #13,617 of 106,567
Im so happy that the head-fi discovery group is discovering the magic of zu cables.  Sean Casey, the head of Zu Cable is a magic sound designer who specializes in the physics of sound transmission, and his speakers are wired with the mission cables form Zu or better.  I mentioned zu cables in a post about a month ago, and that i use it for all my interconnects in portable systems, to great advantage.  The cable being used by you all in the
x1 application is their lowest quality zu cable, the Mission (it was designed actually as an I pod cable).  I wrote Sean and told him that the mission I pod
cable was getting some positive notoriety and asked him if any of their better cables were available as mini to mini connectors.  Unfortuneatley not yet,
but if enough head-fi enthusiasts contacted him i bet he could make a few upgraded mini to mini cables that would elevate our x1s even higher, if that was desirable.  Congratulations to all those listeners who have made their x1s sing with the zu cables!!!  use them also between your dacs and amps, and they will add another loop of upgrade to your listening experiences!!!  and those of you into main frame audio systems check out the zu soulsuperly speakers which have a magical imagining and tone integrity that brings out the best emotion in music, of course all wired with top of the line zu wiring!

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #13,618 of 106,567
Quote:
The hf300 has a slightly clearer mid-range and a wider sound to them but they are pretty similar.

i guess the real question is how they fair against the m200, seeing that the onyko only has one driver (i think). the H200 bass is very impressive, strong when its supposed to be and not very colored at all. the m200 is a warmer sound? and the onyko even warmer?

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #13,619 of 106,567
I would love to use that cable with mt standard Mad Dog! Anyone know of an angled adapter i can use with it? And will this cable have a similar impact on a planar? Linky please... thanks! :D

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #13,620 of 106,567
Quote:
Im so happy that the head-fi discovery group is discovering the magic of zu cables.  Sean Casey, the head of Zu Cable is a magic sound designer who specializes in the physics of sound transmission, and his speakers are wired with the mission cables form Zu or better.  I mentioned zu cables in a post about a month ago, and that i use it for all my interconnects in portable systems, to great advantage.  The cable being used by you all in the
x1 application is their lowest quality zu cable, the Mission (it was designed actually as an I pod cable).  I wrote Sean and told him that the mission I pod
cable was getting some positive notoriety and asked him if any of their better cables were available as mini to mini connectors.  Unfortuneatley not yet,
but if enough head-fi enthusiasts contacted him i bet he could make a few upgraded mini to mini cables that would elevate our x1s even higher, if that was desirable.  Congratulations to all those listeners who have made their x1s sing with the zu cables!!!  use them also between your dacs and amps, and they will add another loop of upgrade to your listening experiences!!!  and those of you into main frame audio systems check out the zu soulsuperly speakers which have a magical imagining and tone integrity that brings out the best emotion in music, of course all wired with top of the line zu wiring!

eek.gif
  This is kinda bad news it looks like I might have gotten last cable? I tried searching for the cables again on ebay but there is no listing for the cables. Wonder if Zu is discontinuing these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back