The discovery thread!
Aug 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #12,842 of 106,575
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=fiio+x3&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta  I have been putting my player through it's paces and I have to say I am truly impressed with the sound capabilities of the unit. There is not an earphone or a fullsized can I own that this thing can't absolutely make sing..I think this is a great choice for guys that want an upgrade on their garden variety players. Not too many Daps in this price range that is gonna have the capabilities or the sound of this unit.. I absolutely love that this is an all in one with no need for extra amps to attach..But if you do it does bring the sound up another level.

Sure it is not perfect and I never expected it to be but for the sheer ability to play 24 bit high res files or make your 320kbps Mp3 tunes sound like high res files it is truly one of the better deals that I can think of for music fans. .Some added touches that I appreciate. It comes with a silicone sleeve and 3 protection films for the screen.Stuff you don't have to buy, very well thought out imo.

By the way just for kicks I put on here Flac lossless files and the 320 kbps ripped mp3 version of the same albums. I played the same tunes side by side and I can't tell the difference lol. I know there was some debate on this topic on another thread but I had to try it for myself..For me, I would rather save the space and add more albums. Now 24bit high res stuff however is another matter. But even those I think one would need a higher end dap or a home system to make them truly shine.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #12,843 of 106,575
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/27/100x100px-LS-27b1524e_Hope_eyes.jpeg[/img]
  1. drbluenewmexico
  2. badge_100.v1375719111.png
  4. online
  1. 136 Posts. Joined 12/2009

a young producer friend of mine asked me for recommendations for a portable production gear set up out of his computer.  what would you sound wizards recommend on a 300$ budget?
i was thinking of something like an ele sac (or something like that) a BH amp or some integrated chinese amp dac unit, and what headphones?  ath 700?  or what?
completely open to suggestions!
thanks for your ideas for Edgar...

He could just get an all-in-one USB interface that combines mic/instrument pre-amps and ADC with headphone amp and DAC, something like the Apogee Duet or a cheaper alternative. The amp will likely not be as powerful as a dedicated unit, but it's a way to save money and simplify things.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #12,844 of 106,575
If you guys haven't heard but fiio is releasing and opamp and buffer rollable E12. It will come with a opamp and buffer kit. Instead of the standard black it comes in a silver color. Pre-orders info here lhttp://www.head-fi.org/t/674808/fiio-e12diy-limited-edition-version-colour-decided-and-pre-order-start/0_30.

Min of 500 needs to be pre-ordered or the project will be aborted. While a max of 2000 will be made.

I like the fact that it comes with a kit unlike other rollable amps. Seem good for the money.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #12,845 of 106,575
Quote:
So I've come into a little bit of money and I might be interested in getting another pair of phones. My budget is $200, but I might be able to stretch it a bit. My current primary headphones are the CKN70s, S500s, and AD900X. At the moment the CKS1000s, WS99s, and ES700s are at the top of my list. Should I get one of those or is there something else you guys think I should get?

I'm in the same sort of predicament; got some cash recently and can't decide whether to get the Onkyo IE-HF300, Audio Technica CKS1000, wait for the Zero Audio Carbo Doppio or get something else entirely (As an upgrade to my Carbo Bassos)

Spoiled for choice :p

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #12,847 of 106,575
I will be getting my KEF M200s soon. Will let you all know how I hear them. It should be interesting.

Speaking about the M200s, I saw them when I went looking around for earphones here, wondering if I should get a pair to try. No X1 though, that was a bummer.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #12,848 of 106,575
There has been a lot of talk about CKS1000, KEF M200, Hifiman RE400, and Onkyo, but talk about the Fidelio S1 and S2 has dropped significantly.  Are they not as good?

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #12,849 of 106,575
They are excellent but not too many guys have them so less chatter about them..I will see how they fair against the KEF M200..The S2 is definitely an excellent performer especially for guys that have some solid sources to use them with..They sound absolutely brilliant out of all my sources so that was the test they passed with flying colors.

They easily rank up there with the CKS1000 for me in sonic bliss. An excellent value but I think most guys are interested to see how the new earphones Onkyo and the KEFs will stack up to them..

The reason I chose the KEF and I might try out the Onkyos is Danny had some very high end earphones in his possession and he told me straight out he does not intend to get any of them because how much he enjoys the KEFs so these have the potential to give out some world class sounds for the money.. Sure they are more expensier than most of the iems posted on the threads but they do fall in line for the value requirement of the thread if they end up being the real deal, so I decided to check them out for myself..

It seems all these new earphones are doing things or trying to outdo previous earphones and that is very encouraging.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #12,850 of 106,575
There has been a lot of talk about CKS1000, KEF M200, Hifiman RE400, and Onkyo, but talk about the Fidelio S1 and S2 has dropped significantly.  Are they not as good?

I have the S2 and they are definitely are worth the money and more. Their fun signature works well with most genres and they do plenty right. I just like to try new stuff. :p

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #12,851 of 106,575
Just received my KEF M500 and M200. Checking out the M500 first. Out of the box>>> Whoa! Not blowing me away like the X1, but very nice with no burn-in what so ever. Great visceral bass, with a nice amount of sub bass. Mids aren't recessed at all, but treble is a bit bright (not harsh to my ears, but pushing close). I hope the highs tame a bit.

The headphone, itself, is smaller than it looks in the photos to me, but it fits like a Isotoner glove! Probably one of the most comfortable headphones (especially for a portable) I've ever worn. And the headphone and it's clam-shape hardshell case are like pieces of art. One of the most beautiful headphones I own (along with the X1). I would say the sound is not too warm or cool. A very full and neutral sounding headphone. Actually, right now, the sound kind of remind me of a fuller sounding CKN-70, with deeper bass, but with those almost harsh highs. Precision sound and timbre. Okay, I'm about to break open the M200 in a few, but a thumbs-up for the M500. The WS99 is wonderful portable, but the M500 leaves it in the dust already without burn-in. Very beautiful refined-sounding portable headphone with a gorgeous physical styling to match.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #12,852 of 106,575
John Coltrane's saxophone solo sounds rich rich rich!!! on So What through the M500 (lossless on the X3 DAP). Wow-wee!! 
dt880smile.png

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #12,853 of 106,575
Just bought the Carbo Bassos from Mikaveli06.  Will be comparing to the Carbo Tenore and NuForce NE-700X. 

Because of you guys, this is what I have/had:

IEMs:
$49 NuForce NE-700X (new and improved version)
$50 Zero Audio Carbo Tenore ZH-DX210
$9 Philips SHE3590 (bought for the tips)
$29 Hifiman RE2 (bought in 2009)
$40 Audio Technica ATH-CKN70 (sold)

Over-ear headphone:
$28 Monoprice 8323

On-ear headphone:
$55 JVC HA-S500

Unrelated question:  How do you put a sig like ericp10 listing what he has?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back