The discovery thread!
May 17, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #101,821 of 103,963
Nice graph on the Explorer too, sheesh.
Speak of the devil. It's early, but I sorta love this iem. Very impressed. AFul fixed their 5-6k peaks and bass. The graph matches up to what I want so gud. This thing is very impressive.

1715921948227.png

May 17, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #101,822 of 103,963
I'm surprised to see the Starfield so high and higher than Zero Red even. And it makes me sad to see my beloved Volume so low 😢
The Starfield and JD7 are a tie for me but Starfield won points for nostalgia.

Zero Red is very solid but I prefer a less distinct bass shelf which seems to be uncommon among audiophiles.

The Volume sounded really bright to me for some reason hence the low placement.

I think this set has impedance issues, it's been a long time since I've done some listening on my Volume, I'd have to get a warm source and re-listen to my pair someday.

May 17, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #101,823 of 103,963
Speak of the devil. It's early, but I sorta love this iem. Very impressed. AFul fixed their 5-6k peaks and bass. The graph matches up to what I want so gud. This thing is very impressive.

1715921948227.png
All aboard the Aful hype train 🚂 🚂🚂

Aful is right to delay the Cantor. They need to ensure that they can top this humble 3 driver IEM.

May 17, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #101,824 of 103,963
Got my babies back!!!
The only negative (well, other than the expense, obviously...) is that this replacement set is an older model so it uses a QDC connector rather than the flat 2-pin that later versions of the MkI implemented.

NBD in the grand scheme of things.

I am beyond grateful to have these back in my ears.
I can't believe how much they were missed for the 6 days I was without them.
Praying that nothing happens to this set as they might be difficult to source in the future.

0516241901b~2.jpg

:)
Happy days! May I suggest something quite extreme since you love these so much? Get another pair and keep them somewhere nice and safe for when these current ones sing their last note. I know I'd do just that if I found a set I loved so so so much.

cross post from the ranking thread but I finally sat down and listed every IEM I have heard. Was a fun process and one that got me thinking about the hobby and where to go from here, I suggest it!

Top 4 are things I still own. The rest has been sold, returned or retired.
  1. Oriolus Szalayi
  2. Hidizs MP145
  3. Rose Technics QT-X
  4. CCA Trio
  5. ISN Neo 5
  6. Letshouer S12
  7. Kinera Celest Dark Phoenix
  8. Thieaudio Hype 2
  9. XENNS Mangird Tea 2
  10. Rose Technics QuietSea
  11. Aful Performer 5
  12. 7Hz Zero 2
  13. Truthear Red:Zero
  14. Kiwi Ears Cadenza
  15. Kiwi Ears Melody
  16. Aoshida E20
Oh my, great idea and I'll definitely have a go at it later. Will be tough to rank them, but trying and failing is better than not trying.. or is it?

1000021883.jpg
Well here it is, my 20th review! This one is for the Simgot EM6L Phoenix (Head-fi and blog). I know I'm a bit late to the review train (there's already over 30 reviews here on Head-fi) but I think it's a great iem in the ~$100 price bracket and it's my favorite Simgot tuning to date. Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me and shown me love on my review journey. I have some exciting things coming in the next few weeks, including the new Dunu DaVinci and I'll be reviewing my first full sized headphones courtesy of ZMF.
Wow congratulations, lots of time went into making 20 reviews, I'm on my 5th. This is a gorgeous pic of the EM6L! And awesome news about the DaVinci and especially ZMF! Very interested in both.

May 17, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #101,825 of 103,963
Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #101,826 of 103,963
. From initial OOTB listening, perhaps maybe a nitpick would be some BA timbre for acoustic instruments.
I hear it (what I think as BA timbre - a metallic smear sort of thing) even in aful P8. Especially when I go from a lengthy session on the single DD wonder that is Miroak-II.

May 17, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #101,827 of 103,963
1000021883.jpg
Well here it is, my 20th review! This one is for the Simgot EM6L Phoenix (Head-fi and blog). I know I'm a bit late to the review train (there's already over 30 reviews here on Head-fi) but I think it's a great iem in the ~$100 price bracket and it's my favorite Simgot tuning to date. Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me and shown me love on my review journey. I have some exciting things coming in the next few weeks, including the new Dunu DaVinci and I'll be reviewing my first full sized headphones courtesy of ZMF.
Damn dude congrats! I would love to listen and review a ZMF, they are on my endgame list for over ears. Great pic for the review too!

1715921948227.png
I don’t need it… I don’t need it…
Oh my, great idea and I'll definitely have a go at it later. Will be tough to rank them, but trying and failing is better than not trying.. or is it?
I recommend it! I think the QT-X may slide into number 2 as well with some more time, was nice to realize that as I made it. I will now have a list going forward, via my notes app.

May 17, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #101,828 of 103,963
Bass. MagicOne has passable bass but can’t get my blood pumping when listening to “epic soundtrack”, but this one can do that easily. Like others have said, I think this is the best bass AFUL has ever achieved in their IEMs.

So, the choice is simple to me:
  • Want QDC tuning and “kilobuck-like” resolution? P8 (you will trade off bass quantity and midrange naturalness)
  • Want great tuning and gentle mid-centric signature? MagicOne
  • Want some of magic one signature with bass? Explorer

I can’t recommend P5 for any use caee (sorry aful 😂)
This dude. For 120. Just like wow. 🤩. Very impressive. So many great things. I’m kinda in love. But early.

May 17, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #101,830 of 103,963
1000021883.jpg

Awesome review, man!

May 17, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #101,831 of 103,963
Haha. Sweet . Pl don't forget the hydro, relentless comparisons of course.
Definitely. As of now suffice it to say hold on to your wallets. It’s all tunings but there is a case for this to at least be the best Aful product especially in a value proposition.

May 17, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #101,833 of 103,963
What audio gear are you guys/gals looking forward to getting?

Either planned purchase or something on the way.

For me:
  • 634ears LOAK TX-02 - one of the 3 flagship variants, should be finished very soon.
  • Dita Project M - absolutely stunning IEM and I want to hear it after all the praise, getting one in June.
  • Kinera Celest Relentless - will be my first Celest, doubt it come here before July.
  • Kinera QoA Adonis 2.0 - will be coming together with Relentless.
  • Letshuoer new dongle.

And for what I want to get, but money might stop me. Pilgrim Noir, Symphonium Titan, CFA Fathom. I'll add a last one, AFUL Explorer look good.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #101,835 of 103,963
Have you seen any other graphs from the brand that does the Miroak?
Am sure the 634ears thread in the forum will be able to help you out. I haven't yet ventured into noticing, deciphering graphs, so I don't actively seek em. Though perhaps i should; have gone with reviewers observations thus far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back