The discovery thread!
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #99,361 of 100,377
D'accord the aesthetically cool R4 looks way more efficient than my R6 Pro (- fortunately mine never had any battery issues.) Alas the poor snapdragon chip & minimal ram makes it annoyingly unresponsive, whereas the R4 interface looks snappy af - a definite instabuy methinks !!
The Android is snappy on R4 indeed. No software bug so far, though I find audio and video are slightly out of sync. It was the case with R6 P2 and my DX300 as well, tested with both YouTube and streaming from my local server.

Maybe I’ll put an emulator on to test how far it can emulate. I guess it runs up to PSP and Nintendo DS.

Re: sound signature: yes, DAC chip company cannot be generalised, what I try to say is the R4 I have on my hand sounds like a generic implementation of ESS saber in dongle and micro DAP format, the edgy and clean one, not the one that “does not sound like ESS”. Side by side with W4, which is already considered neutral, bright, “sterile” by many audiophiles, and the R4 is noticeably leaner and edgier. I’m fresh out of 5 dongle review back to back so I believe that my ears are still “tuned” to listen to source differences, and I have many of them next to me here to test my claim. Maybe there is unit variations or my unit is faulty, but from what I hear with mine, telling my reader that this is “analogue” and invoking the imagery that they can get the sound of an R2R device, heck, even the sound of the DEW4X can lead to bitter buyer remorse.

Again, not saying R4 sounds bad, but just control expectation. I’ll check with HiBy to see if my unit is defective.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #99,362 of 100,377
The ears take the entire frequency spectrum as a whole and not just the sub bass.

So since the orange penon liqueur tips boost sub bass, even though the treble is not touched, the ears do perceive the signature to be slightly darker/warmer.
Totally agreed. Just one note.
If we take opposites
light <-> dark,
cold <-> warm,
then the first describes frequency characteristic (tonality) and the second describes saturation with harmonics (timbre).

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #99,364 of 100,377
So how is it supposed to play out? What's the sound signature expected based on these graphs? I have them on pre-order in my country
Not sure when stocks arrive
There are one or two early impression by some dude in facebook audio group
generally positive but i don't know them so you know salts and all

---

by Pavel Touš ·

KZ ZS10 Pro 2 - first few hours in ears with all switches up (default) and silicon tips:
It is V-Shape
Bass has a lot off nice sub-bass, mid-bass is not elevated.
Mids are nicely articulate without upper mids elevation
Trebles are in front on par with sub-bass. Mid trebles are elevated. Range is very sufficient.
Details and resolution are great for the price. Surprisingly good is image. Fit and comfort are great
---
by fugumikan (turn CC on)

"Aren't you the ghost of the ZS6, resurrected from the depth of hell?"
"I never expected that a replacement for the ZS6 would be released for the first time in 7 years"

So fans of ZS6 should be rejoicing, people who can't stand ZS6 (like me) need to wait for more info on how spicy the treble is.
and now, i kinda understand why it have "treble reduction" switch.

it also apparently semi open back with decent influence to the openness of the sound, surely some gonna be a bit interested with it.

now wait for the usual suspect reviews.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #99,365 of 100,377
The Android is snappy on R4 indeed. No software bug so far, though I find audio and video are slightly out of sync. It was the case with R6 P2 and my DX300 as well, tested with both YouTube and streaming from my local server.

Maybe I’ll put an emulator on to test how far it can emulate. I guess it runs up to PSP and Nintendo DS.

Re: sound signature: yes, DAC chip company cannot be generalised, what I try to say is the R4 I have on my hand sounds like a generic implementation of ESS saber in dongle and micro DAP format, the edgy and clean one, not the one that “does not sound like ESS”. Side by side with W4, which is already considered neutral, bright, “sterile” by many audiophiles, and the R4 is noticeably leaner and edgier. I’m fresh out of 5 dongle review back to back so I believe that my ears are still “tuned” to listen to source differences, and I have many of them next to me here to test my claim. Maybe there is unit variations or my unit is faulty, but from what I hear with mine, telling my reader that this is “analogue” and invoking the imagery that they can get the sound of an R2R device, heck, even the sound of the DEW4X can lead to bitter buyer remorse.

Again, not saying R4 sounds bad, but just control expectation. I’ll check with HiBy to see if my unit is defective.
For a 250$ device, it's just that what be expected.
They have a whole range of devices, they're not going to compete internally.
It seems to be a good product for this price range, complete.

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #99,366 of 100,377
That's not a sorry response...that's a wow, admiration response :)
Damn... too many good things. Who can ketchup all...lucky you if you are interested in IEMs "only" :)

Cheers!
No I don't collect anything (else) but guitars.
DSC_0320.jpg
35E4F810-06A0-4BE1-A520-F3D61BDBB623.jpeg
blueberry_3.jpg

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #99,368 of 100,377
For a 250$ device, it's just that what be expected.
They have a whole range of devices, they're not going to compete internally.
It seems to be a good product for this price range, complete.

Totally. $250 for an Android DAP that is fully functional, sounds good, support 4.4mm output, and just a joy to handle in general is a great deal.

Edit: to put in context, when I first started, saw a gentleman at the local hifi stored using some sorts of DAP to test IEMs, so I wanted one, but options that seem decent are pushing into AUD $1000 and up. There was only an Android DAP from Sony with questionable battery life and 3.5mm output only that was somewhat affordable.

No I don't collect anything (else) but guitars.

The last guitar is wowza 👀

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #99,370 of 100,377
IMG_8897.jpeg

This morning's setup:
I got this little MUSE M4 DAC, essentially because it has BT and because it's small and easily transportable (and also, yes, because I liked it aesthetically).

Good flexibility, thanks also to the presence of physical buttons for volume and track forward/backward.

Not bad for the price.

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #99,371 of 100,377
There are one or two early impression by some dude in facebook audio group
generally positive but i don't know them so you know salts and all

---

by Pavel Touš ·

---
by fugumikan (turn CC on)

So fans of ZS6 should be rejoicing, people who can't stand ZS6 (like me) need to wait for more info on how spicy the treble is.
and now, i kinda understand why it have "treble reduction" switch.

it also apparently semi open back with decent influence to the openness of the sound, surely some gonna be a bit interested with it.

now wait for the usual suspect reviews.

SOunds interesting. Let me see whether it suits me, when it arrives. Luckily, cheap that I don't have to sweat too much if they don't! I was under the impression that it would be a refined smoother Rhapsody with a better soundstage. Don't know anything about ZS6 - CCA Trio and KZ Castor Bass are the only KZs I have heard. Hope it's an extended treble but not too harsh. This is my first pure blind buy (as in the one I haven't checked reviews) as far as I can remember, purely based on being chuffed with Trio, and wanting to try my luck with KZ again.

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #99,372 of 100,377
Totally. $250 for an Android DAP that is fully functional, sounds good, support 4.4mm output, and just a joy to handle in general is a great deal.

Edit: to put in context, when I first started, saw a gentleman at the local hifi stored using some sorts of DAP to test IEMs, so I wanted one, but options that seem decent are pushing into AUD $1000 and up. There was only an Android DAP from Sony with questionable battery life and 3.5mm output only that was somewhat affordable.

The last guitar is wowza 👀
That's the loudest one. Really they all have small issues, and none of them are perfect, kinda like IEMs? :)

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #99,373 of 100,377
Apr 20, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #99,374 of 100,377

Hiby DAP's software bugs are invariably to be expected especially in early released units.....my Pro 6 invariably runs warm (- as there's no casing vent!) Alas it's uber annoying that the R4 will have no option to switch off the class A amp - cos it apparently makes minimal SQ difference?) Maybe this option will happen via a fw update, in order to take advantage of the potential 35 hours battery life - claimed by HiBy for a 4500 mAh capacity battery??

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #99,375 of 100,377
no option to switch off the class A amp - cos it apparently makes minimal SQ difference?) Maybe this option will happen via a fw update, in order to take advantage of the potential 35 hours battery life - claimed by HiBy for a 4500 mAh capacity battery??
Really? When I tested R6 Pro2 and R8II, I wouldn’t listen using class AB after hearing class A. Small SQ difference in the grand scheme, maybe, but different enough for me to favour one over the other.

But yeah, no option to turn off the Class A of R4 for now. It does run a bit warm, but not as warm as R6 Pro2 and Shanling M6 Ultra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back