The discovery thread!
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #97,831 of 101,092
Never was been cheaper
Screenshot_20240325-214715.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #97,833 of 101,092
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #97,834 of 101,092
Hey what eartips are you using on the Trio? Anything that particularly suits em?

Edit: I found my perfect match. A blue widebore tip from Penon FAn2 .
I'm not sure exactly, but I'm fairly certain, but not 100% sure, it's the large tips that came with my OD200? They create a perfect seal with the Trio.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #97,835 of 101,092
Maybe I’m too picky, but the Katos are not my taste. The upper end is so off, it just doesn’t sound natural to me. Maybe (maybe) they don’t cope well with DX220 amp1, didn’t try with my other sources. I could be wrong. Moving on to use the Himalaya.. who knows..

That's really strange. I find the Kato's tuning among the best. Technically they're good, albeit not the last word on imaging, separation, detail and dynamics - but the tuning is simply gorgeous. With my ears and my setup. I don't use the supplied tips (no good reason, just found another pair that have a good seal and fit and stuck with them)

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it if you get a chance to test out different sources 👍

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #97,836 of 101,092
My discovery today: DSD files.

So I downloaded some DSD samples from NativeDSDMusic to see what the meme is about. I’m surprised that I hear a noticeable difference in the spatial illusion when comparing the same track with my FLAC copy. The placement of instruments is the same, but each instrument feels more “real” in the space, and separation and layering are stronger.

DSD consumes a lot of storage space and PITA to collect, so I would pretend that I haven’t heard anything.
:wink: you’re only scratching the surface. With the proper equipment, there’s so much difference between dsd and lower hi-res. I listen mostly sacd rips and native dsd recordings, for my DAP there’s files starting from PCM 24-88 and up (gave up using dsd, due to the limited storage space). I can’t enjoy 24-44 pcm or lower quality any longer, it sounds dull, grainy, flat, emotionless, not liquid, silky and explosive at the same time. Sadly, there’s so many good tracks in plain flac out there, it hurts. I have to say this tho: my main system is a "desktop" combo, isolated server/player, with 100% regenerated power and digital path. Also there’s a good amount of grounding involved. So I cannot compare this to any totl iem/DAP combo.
Anybody who can compare dsd to any pcm with the higher-end combo - please share your impressions! It would be an interesting experience.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #97,838 of 101,092
I could only get to 182 and tax included made it 198. I have 68 dollars in coins, but does that take off 68? It only gave me 4 dollars credit. And $20 for spending over 150 I believe.
Try this Cayin store code for an extra $10 off.
4TBV59YKJ9EM

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #97,839 of 101,092
That's really strange. I find the Kato's tuning among the best. Technically they're good, albeit not the last word on imaging, separation, detail and dynamics - but the tuning is simply gorgeous. With my ears and my setup. I don't use the supplied tips (no good reason, just found another pair that have a good seal and fit and stuck with them)

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it if you get a chance to test out different sources 👍
Ha, could be that my ears are off...or there’s a chance I’m not an iem person (in that case my attempt to improve my listening experience with the Himalayas will collapse to dust and I will stop pushing onward). Lucklily my main rig sounds lovely :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #97,840 of 101,092
I could only get to 182 and tax included made it 198. I have 68 dollars in coins, but does that take off 68? It only gave me 4 dollars credit. And $20 for spending over 150 I believe.
There's a discount structure:
Screenshot_20240325-221527.jpg

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #97,841 of 101,092
Ha, could be that my ears are off...or there’s a chance I’m not an iem person (in that case my attempt to improve my listening experience with the Himalayas will collapse to dust and I will stop pushing onward). Lucklily my main rig sounds lovely :wink:

I think IEMs are the most individual audio gear. They're literally working with your ear canal as the only acoustic chamber.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #97,842 of 101,092
I was going to post this in, "Most basshead IEMs with the best bang for bucks". But two don't qualify as best bang for bucks (although, they're both "bangin") and the third is just a rutting pig; it gets the job done, but can be brutish, about getting to the outcome.

1. The Sony IER-Z1R's DD does sub bass in a way that should tell all BA manufacturers to move on. But for one standout feature, the cost is prohibitive.

2. The Xenns Mangird Up (and the Top) are my Goldilocks. But again, the cost makes me abstain, from taking either set for a walk. But for anyone who calls their watch a panda or a Pepsi, I guess the Xenns would qualify for Best Bang for bucks. :ksc75smile:

3. The 7hz Legato is a great set for the gym. Perfect for early 2000's HipHop and specifically, anything by Missy Elliot. But the Legato's can be young and brash, at times. On some songs, the bass gets out of control.
Basshead x3a.jpg

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #97,843 of 101,092
I was going to post this in, "Most basshead IEMs with the best bang for bucks". But two don't qualify as best bang for bucks (although, they're both "bangin") and the third is just a rutting pig; it gets the job done, but can be brutish, about getting to the outcome.

1. The Sony IER-Z1R's DD does sub bass in a way that should tell all BA manufacturers to move on. But for one standout feature, the cost is prohibitive.

2. The Xenns Mangird Up (and the Top) are my Goldilocks. But again, the cost makes me abstain, from taking either set for a walk. But for anyone who calls their watch a panda or a Pepsi, I guess the Xenns would qualify for Best Bang for bucks. :ksc75smile:

3. The 7hz Legato is a great set for the gym. Perfect for early 2000's HipHop and specifically, anything by Missy Elliot. But the Legato's can be young and brash, at times. On some songs, the bass gets out of control.
Is the Top a deal at $450? I got it for that.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #97,844 of 101,092

Users who are viewing this thread

Back