The discovery thread!
Feb 24, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #96,061 of 106,703
Yeah, S&S tips are very IEM-dependent. I find that they are good for all of the AFUL IEMs or similar with long and thin nozzles. S&S tips kinda buff the nozzles up a touch so that they stay in the ear canals (deep fit), without getting in the way of the sound tube.

Ironically, I can't get these to seal with the Dunu Falcon Ultra at all.

Speaking of ear tips, I need discoverers expertise: what are some best options if I need shorter ear tips with large opening, soft-ish but sticky caps?
I like the Whizzer EASYTIPS SS20. They are low profile with wide opening and somehow for me they keep all the bass compared to some other wide bores. Maybe not super sticky but they work awesome for longer nozzle sets so they don’t stick way out

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #96,062 of 106,703
Where’s that quote from?
I'm petty sure it's Apple? It was only for entertainment purposes, and will in fact impresses the ladies if you memorize it in its entirety.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #96,063 of 106,703
The Azla Sedna Crystal for TWS maybe is what you'll need

Short, large opening, soft and sticky material.

Comparison with regular azla crystal non tws, pardon the dust (yes they are dust and earwax magnet)

Another one is tws eartips without brand I bought at ali last time, couldn't find the link sorry but it's like this, sealed well, short, medium bore, material isn't as sticky as crystal but seal well too

Last is tangzu sanchai wide bore edition. Very big bore on opening but can hold to most IEM nozzle stem, not very sticky but good seal, short but not the shortest, just another option to consider

I guess you'll be happy with azla sedna crystal TWS though

*edit as I'm walking and just remembered, I have feaulle latex H270 too, they are short and sticky but the shape is trapezoid, medium bore, fit is bit niche. Another thing is spinfit CP 1025 but bore also small to medium.
Still thinking maybe the azla crystal TWS is the best option for you
I like the Whizzer EASYTIPS SS20. They are low profile with wide opening and somehow for me they keep all the bass compared to some other wide bores. Maybe not super sticky but they work awesome for longer nozzle sets so they don’t stick way out

Thanks, gentlemen! They are great recommendations. I'll make a shopping list and try all of them.

In the vid I said only look at the SL41 if you were trying to go deeper into monitor like tunings with even less colorization.

To my surprise they said and new version is getting shipped to me next week with final tuning! I thought the unit I have was so that was a bit of a surprise.

The 6BA is probably one my most favorite IEM the Bass is the best BA bass I have heard possibly even over my UP's DD bass.

Today they told me they are working on a even higher end one with 1DD 6BA
Personally for $399 I think the SL6 could be Endgame material for many.

I mean I keep trying to find flaws in it's musicality and tuning and after 10 long sessions not having much luck quite honestly.

I commented once on YouTube, but ...

That's a Dunu SA6 MkII :dt880smile:

Howdy folks,

My unboxing and initial impressions of R8II if you are curious. I'm trying to make my reviews more "live", inspired by @ToneDeafMonk and Mr Super* Review. I think being able to see live reaction of a person when trying a new gear might convey perhaps more than what is written or said. On the negative side, the reviews would be longer. So let me know how it goes.

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #96,064 of 106,703
Dark Phoenix stock cable has me believing in cable sound changes. Much more fulfilling bass after swapping to my Oriolus cable… really solving a lot of my issues with this set.

guess it’s time to look harder for new wires.

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #96,065 of 106,703
Dark Phoenix stock cable has me believing in cable sound changes. Much more fulfilling bass after swapping to my Oriolus cable… really solving a lot of my issues with this set.

guess it’s time to look harder for new wires.
What are the differences between geometry of the wires? Is it going from 2W to 4W or 8W?

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #96,066 of 106,703
What are the differences between geometry of the wires? Is it going from 2W to 4W or 8W?
Really thin 8W stock to 4W Oriolus 🤷

No idea, there is definitely some weird artifacting/grain on the bass with the stock cable that isn’t there after the swap.

Oriolus cable is like, the nicest fabric cable I have ever seen tho idk lol.

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #96,067 of 106,703
Is buying solid IEMs for $4 possible, or are they all trash?

There is the legendary Sony MH755.

Sony MH755.jpg

Harman tuned, good timbre and tonality. Decent technically for the $7 USD I paid for it.

Too bad there are many fakes out there, so the only way to get a guranteed legit one is perhaps to buy a Sony BT thingy like the SBH24. Has a microphonic non-detchable short J-shaped cable, but even Crinacle gave this sub $10 IEM a grade B on his ranking.

Sony MH755.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #96,068 of 106,703
Promised Hidizs to share what I think about the SD2 dongle, so here's a small post about it. Also thanks for sending me the dongle together with the MP145.

The ESS implementation has no sharp brightness to it, its actually quite warm and smooth sounding. Not at the level of Colorfly CDA M1P in warmth, but not that far off.
Most Cirrus Logic dongles like Truthear Shio or Simgot DEW4X is more resolving and dynamic sounding, and I much preffer those. Weak power output that's quite notable on harder to drive planar IEMs.

There is also the awkward design that to me dont look pleasing or premium at all, would almost believe this was a gamer dongle made by Asus.
The way its made also make it really easy to get strain on the phone port you use, the design having no cable do make it less bother some when in your pants and that's a positive. My problem is that the USB C is slightly small compared to most other dongles I have with USB C, so if your like me who have a phone with plug that's more loose it will loose connection way to easy.

Another thing its impossible to position the phone and the dongle in my work car phone holder, probably other phone holder that can work.

There is also the occasionally pop noise it picks up from both my work phone and private one, this is not here on dongles like CDA M1P or DEW4X. Doubt Hidizs will like this post, so ill end it now with a pro con list.

Pro
  • Price
  • Small size
  • Support Microphone cable
  • Warm smooth tonality
  • Led Light for sampling rate
  • Longer USB C part works with most phone cases

Con
  • Design
  • Not most resolving dongle
  • Awkward build
  • No balanced
  • Easy to get usb strain due to fixed design
  • No volume buttons
  • Not very powerful as a dongle
Then the next thing I will write about is their planar MP145, not that negative there. But also got something to complain about :beerchug:

DSCF4461.jpg

1708789262850.png

1708789285580.png

Needed something like this but that shape am not sure. Will pick this up instead: https://www.headphonezone.in/products/ddhifi-tc35pro-type-c-to-3-5mm-decoder-mountain2 .. Neat design.

Also this device, where it allows charging of source through one side as well: https://www.headphonezone.in/products/ddhifi-tc28cpro-usb-c-to-usb-c-otg-adapter

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #96,069 of 106,703
Hmm, rule no. 1 is not to trust store provided graphs (especially from KZ haha).

But yeah the Symphony's graph does seem to have a massive sub-bass shelf. Will probably need to wait for one of our esteemed members here to get a set to verify on listening (or even better if they can graph it).

I'm blacklisted by KZ, but here's hoping one of the others can get their hands on a pair, and look forward to their impressions.
I'm taking the punt on that graph only. Is he KZ Symphony better than my 2023 Titanium Anniliator? Find out soon. XD

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #96,070 of 106,703
SHOZY P20
Excellent sound after more than 300 h of burning: quite smooth frequency curve, good density on the dark side, very good resolution and separation but without much air between instruments. Not for treble-heads or bass-heads. Very good for old-school rock and metal. I'm using it with NiceHCK AceOrpheus and even better - CEMA SuperCopper. Tips - Coreir or H570.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #96,071 of 106,703
Excellent sound after more than 300 h of burning: quite smooth frequency curve, good density on the dark side, very good resolution and separation but without much air between instruments. Not for treble-heads or bass-heads. Very good for old-school rock and metal. I'm using it with NiceHCK AceOrpheus and yet better - CEMA SuperCopper. Tips - Coreir or H570.
Ha, 300 hours thanks for the warning. I have not heard them yet, but I love hearing the Rock/Metal genre being mentioned!

Cheers!

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #96,072 of 106,703
iFi Audio GO bar Dongle:
First impressions:
Well this is hands down the best Dongle I have heard to date, and for the price it should be. Yet it is different than the Sony WM1A and WM1Z. Warm but not really all that laid back like the MW1Z. Neutral with a kick......the kick is clarity. Powerful and easy to use, simply plug and play. But it is the authority that has me already knowing that I'm going to be using this all the time, bigger and more vivid than the HiBy R3 II, yet of course it's more money and needs a file server of some sorts to play tunes. But better than the Shanling UA3, the SIMGOT AUDIO DEW4X.........better than the Penon Tail...........really better than most everything I have. There is a lower energy here that simply makes Rock-n-Roll stand-up and move you? Full review coming..........

dancing-elvis-presley.gif
dancing-elvis-presley.gif

DSC_0036.jpeged.jpeg

DSC_0029.jpeg2.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #96,073 of 106,703
There is the legendary Sony MH755.
Looking cute also; I will look for them... a nice piano setup...

Gren Lantern IEM_sredjeno_smanjeno.jpg

This is not Sony...it's Green Lantern, and it's $4 :)

I didn't expect anything...more that it wouldn't be listenable, but it turned out quite the opposite.
I bought them because of the cool colours they had...green, red...
And the finish of the shells is really nice; it feels smoother than plastic, like resin, and they fit great.

The sound...solid all the way; even the bass is there, and it could be described as tight, not as with higher class IEMs,
but the sound is smooth and fun, not irritating at all...which could be the case for something that costs $4...

I'll keep ordering these cheapo IEMs...for fun... :)

Cheers!

EDIT: I had a crazy session with those... I spent a good hour or so, even though I thought I wouldn't listen to them at all.
What made me listen to an Hour...the craziest bass I have ever heard (except Fostex TH900mk2)!
And really solid bass; it ends, has edges, and doesn't disappear in a fog.
I dare say the bass is better and in vast amounts than CCA CRA+ got. Forget technicalities;
if you like to listen to Hip-Hop, D&B..., and Techno...these will leave you wooow...wtfigo effect :)))
And if you don't appreciate that bass...you can always throw them away...they cost as one espresso in London :)

Chin chin :)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #96,074 of 106,703
The 2024 coming AirPods will revolutionize the industry.
“There is a need for a headphone case device that can control operations that are traditionally associated with headphones (e.g., playback controls, changing audio sources, changing audio output modes, etc.). There is a further need for a headphone case that can also convey information to a user, through haptics and/or display devices. Such methods and interfaces optionally complement conventional methods for controlling wireless headphones. Such methods and interfaces reduce the number, extent, and/or nature of the inputs from a user and produce a more efficient human-machine interface.”
Hm, not sure I understand this idea. Charging cases are a necessary evil in TWS world IMO. It is the thing you use to store/charge TWS, but once you're using TWS, case is something you throw in your pocket and hope it irritates you as little as possible. Case having an interface seems highly useless to me and just a (silly) way of trying to separate from other companies.

In the vid I said only look at the SL41 if you were trying to go deeper into monitor like tunings with even less colorization.

To my surprise they said and new version is getting shipped to me next week with final tuning! I thought the unit I have was so that was a bit of a surprise.

The 6BA is probably one my most favorite IEM the Bass is the best BA bass I have heard possibly even over my UP's DD bass.

Today they told me they are working on a even higher end one with 1DD 6BA
Personally for $399 I think the SL6 could be Endgame material for many.

I mean I keep trying to find flaws in it's musicality and tuning and after 10 long sessions not having much luck quite honestly.
What does SLIIVO stand for? I expect it is something as cringeworthy as Ziigaat? Is it really so difficult to come up with a catchy name? Aful, Ziigaat and Sliivo definitely miss the mark for me.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #96,075 of 106,703
I have been enjoying the Hisenior Mega5EST 7th Anniversary Edition for about a month now, a warm neutral IEM with a refined balance.

It is a older model that came out some years ago, but recently has gone trough some changes: Smaller shell, Nozzle, Driver configuration, Venting and Tuning.
Its fair to say its not the same IEM as it once was, what made me buy it was headphones.com who called it a baby Storm. Probably nowhere the same, but tuning might have similarities.

My review is out for it, feel free to read :beyersmile:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hisenior-mega5est.26822/review/33101/

DSCF4324.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back