The discovery thread!
Feb 15, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #95,476 of 104,258
I got the ever elusive, much hyped 7th Acoustic Supernova for demo from a friend. I have not given it a lot of time. As per my initial listening sessions, I would not say these are very special.

They have a solid bass for an all BA setup. There is some mid bass boost which helps the lower mids gain some body. Treble has less energy, there is less sparkle, not quite airy.

It’s a laid back set, will go well with people who look for relaxed listens. The soundstage is not quite massive and spacious. I find the resolution above average not razor sharp.

I will try to put a detailed impressions after I have given them some good time. I also want to compare them thoroughly with the Night Oblivion Butastur, I think these two sets have lot in common.

IMG_9336.jpeg

IMG_9337.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #95,477 of 104,258
I got the ever elusive, much hyped 7th Acoustic Supernova for demo from a friend. I have not given it a lot of time. As per my initial listening sessions, I would not say these are very special.

They have a solid bass for an all BA setup. There is some mid bass boost which helps the lower mids gain some body. Treble has less energy, there is less sparkle, not quite airy.

It’s a laid back set, will go well with people who look for relaxed listens. The soundstage is not quite massive and spacious. I find the resolution above average not razor sharp.

I will try to put a detailed impressions after I have given them some good time. I also want to compare them thoroughly with the Night Oblivion Butastur, I think these two sets have lot in common.

IMG_9336.jpeg

IMG_9337.jpeg

I have never seen that colour of the supernova before. Your friend has a great taste.

What is that fancy looking DAP? That knob looks expensive.

Anyhow, it's a great time to be IEM fans when the supernova is not "very special" :dt880smile: Now that the beautiful tuning of Supernova has been captured as a target (or more precisely, the target that 7th acoustics happened to hit by luck or ears has been formalised and defined), I think it is safe to assume that we will hear more of this tuning style soon, now that Harman-ish is getting long in the tooth. With the CCA Trio, I think the writing is on the wall: compromise on technical performance is less and less acceptable in the budget market. Interesting to see how the IEM market would change. Maybe high-end technology from TOTL market would trickle down sooner?

Btw, I'm surprised that you find the supernova to be similar to butastur.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #95,479 of 104,258
Anyone using an iem stand/perch? These things are kinda niche, the ones I can find are limited.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #95,480 of 104,258
Anyone using an iem stand/perch? These things are kinda niche, the ones I can find are limited.

I have to hide my IEMs from my wife hahaha. Nothing can be displayed in the open LOL.

But FWIW, I have an audiophile friend who bought an Ikea peg board and hangs his headphones and IEMs on it.
Something like that:
3c90ef587e2c01f667c6c4f82a80c3d0.jpg

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #95,481 of 104,258
Here's a musical discovery, it sounds wonderful on the KZ PR3 and Xduoo X20:

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #95,482 of 104,258
Here is some discovery material to fill out your day. To highlight some of the great works done on the Suikoden series some time ago, I post these in honor of Mr. Murayama who recently passed away before he could finish his final masterpiece Eiyuden Chronicle due out in April.

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #95,483 of 104,258
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #95,484 of 104,258
I have to hide my IEMs from my wife hahaha. Nothing can be displayed in the open LOL.

But FWIW, I have an audiophile friend who bought an Ikea peg board and hangs his headphones and IEMs on it.
Something like that:
Lol... my girlfriend has ignored my IEMs, for years, ignoring my invites to ditch her iPods and Bose, until one evening, after having left around a pair of Andro (and a lightning dongle I got her) she disappeared for a while with the green IEMs.
After about 20-30 mins she was back asking if the Andros were available in pink and asking me to get her a pair. My attempt to wake her up to better sound quality, backfired...
She then noticed all others IEMs I had around and went on for a trying spree eyeing my Andro Gold and the Fourte.... I ended up negotiating and surrendering a pair of Ara and a pair of IE600..

From that day I put away most IEMs every time she is around.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #95,485 of 104,258
Lol... my girlfriend has ignored my IEMs, for years, ignoring my invites to ditch her iPods and Bose, until one evening, after having left around a pair of Andro (and a lightning dongle I got her) she disappeared for a while with the green IEMs.
After about 20-30 mins she was back asking if the Andro were available in pink and asking me to get her a pair. My attempt to wake her up to better sound quality, backfired...
She then noticed all others IEMs I had around and went on for a trying spree eyeing my Andro Gold and the Fourte.... I ended up negotiating and surrendering a pair of Ara and a pair of IE600..

I'm the designated rabbit hole research guru in our relationship. I go insane diving down rabbit holes, find a good point of entry for her to obtain a one-and-done item in that hobby and move on. She's all set with just the Legato, I built her one mechanical keyboard, etc...

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #95,486 of 104,258
I'm the designated rabbit hole research guru in our relationship. I go insane diving down rabbit holes, find a good point of entry for her to obtain a one-and-done item in that hobby and move on. She's all set with just the Legato, I built her one mechanical keyboard, etc...
I must start following your example and minimize the risk to my collections by proactively adopting a "obtain an one-and-done item" approach too...

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #95,487 of 104,258
Yes, I rate the Sonus actually higher normally only because it is more well rounded and plays with more sources. Where sure if you get the Fudu the right signal they perform, but skimp on any part of that and the Fudu remains boring. Though I will say out of a good source the Sonus and Fudu are a good pair to have as they are different enough to be worth having as a pair. I was actually surprised at how deep the Fudu bass was in comparison to the DB2 and Sonus. But as far as the DB2, that is bigger stage and more airy than the previous two mentioned, and while not as detailed as the Fudu the bass is definitely there big, just not owning the texture or detail of the Fudu. While we still have to factor in price as the DB2 is way, way less money than the Sonus or Fudu, and with that said there is nothing not to like about the DB2, in fact it is one of the very best combined with the SIMGOT AUDIO LC7 4.4mm cable and HiBy R3 II. That combo I had to keep revisiting day after day, after day just to get a grip on how good it is, as it should not be as good considering price, but somehow it is? :)
Thanks...I think I will throw a balanced cable on the DB2 and start listening to it a little more...my initial listen was a good one but it just didn't move to the front of my rotation. I will definitely give them a fair chance to at least get a seat on the front row...lol.

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #95,488 of 104,258
I have never seen that colour of the supernova before. Your friend has a great taste.

What is that fancy looking DAP? That knob looks expensive.

Anyhow, it's a great time to be IEM fans when the supernova is not "very special" :dt880smile: Now that the beautiful tuning of Supernova has been captured as a target (or more precisely, the target that 7th acoustics happened to hit by luck or ears has been formalised and defined), I think it is safe to assume that we will hear more of this tuning style soon, now that Harman-ish is getting long in the tooth. With the CCA Trio, I think the writing is on the wall: compromise on technical performance is less and less acceptable in the budget market. Interesting to see how the IEM market would change. Maybe high-end technology from TOTL market would trickle down sooner?

Btw, I'm surprised that you find the supernova to be similar to butastur.

That fancy dap is a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.

I spent some good time comparing the Supernova and Butastur in the evening. I am glad to report that I find Supernova ahead of Butatsur. The sound on Supernova is definitely more mature. The bass has a lot more quantity and quality, too. Mids, which gain weight from the lower end, have more body and sound a lot fuller on Supernova. Butastur has better treble and has more sparkle up top. The midrange on Butatsur is thinner.

I think, after spending some more time with Supernova, I am more aligned with it's tuning. However, the resolution is definitely not very sharp. The timbre is really good, but not as good as something like Softear Twilight. The bass can be more precise, something like the OH700VB has. With the limited amount of time I have spent with the Supernova and OH700VB, I find the latter to be a more capable set. OH700VB has amazing bass. I need to do a proper comparison of both of these iems. @o0genesis0o Have you compared both of these iems?

Supernova seems to have picked up the best of everything—something like an all-rounder but not specifically doing anything extra special. Let me report back on Supernova after a few days.

1708013203478.jpeg

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #95,489 of 104,258
After about 20-30 mins she was back asking if the Andro were available in pink and asking me to get her a pair. My attempt to wake her up to better sound quality, backfired...

it's a blessing and a curse to get your S/o into audio!

my gf finally tried some of my gear, last valentines today she got a pair of hd58x... this one she asked me for new IEMs lol, she's running aria snows currently and I have truthear novas coming in for her after hearing what she likes and dislikes with the Arias

my wallet hates it but my heart loves it

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #95,490 of 104,258
I
it's a blessing and a curse to get your S/o into audio!

my gf finally tried some of my gear, last valentines today she got a pair of hd58x... this one she asked me for new IEMs lol, she's running aria snows currently and I have truthear novas coming in for her after hearing what she likes and dislikes with the Arias

my wallet hates it but my heart loves it
I ended up buying 2 Trios, 2 U12ts lol... + bluetooth cables as for her all is wireless (while for me all is cabled)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back